PDA

View Full Version : Combat is soooo bad....

FPS GLIMMER
04-16-2012, 03:24 PM
I love the tone and feel of this game, but the combat is bringing me down man... Enemies take a million hits, the guns miss allot even when your aiming perfectly.( I am amazing at shooting mechanics in games, I dont suck)

Anyway I feel the combat really brought this game down.

Gor1lla
04-16-2012, 04:47 PM
I haven't had any problems with the firearms, but yes, the combat isn't the best. Another reason to use the pre order weapons, the enemies die much faster

ImaginaryRuins
04-17-2012, 05:19 AM
Firearms are also okay to me, though I have to admit the combat is not quite well-suited to Hard difficulty.

Still, IMO, SH(HD)'s combat seems more sluggish to me, but then again they are survival horror and do not encourage us taking on enemies head-on - they prefer us running away. Honestly, if it wasn't for the achievements I'd skip every enemy as I could to avoid combats.

eastx
04-17-2012, 05:37 AM
I really don't mind the combat, especially with the Special Axe. But I've only beaten it on Easy and have yet to start on Hard.

LivingGsuscryst
04-17-2012, 07:29 AM
the combat does suck but at least its fairly avoidable.

i cant stand getting stuck to objects and the item detection is so poor i walk along the edges of every room and get clipped/stuck to nearly every desk, shelf and debris. i cant fathom why it wasn't smoothed out a bit.

also with the stupid breakable weapons idea, there are melee items everywhere... so why can't there be some damn text to alert you to what you are actually going to be picking up when you press A. it would seem simple enough?

such a sloppy game.

GSTAR321
04-21-2012, 01:14 AM
This game is a broken mess.

I really love survival horror games but I just can't stomach this one.

Heres my gripes:

Bad controls.

Atrocious hit detection.

No health bar (have to keep checking the 'statistics' menu to see my health level).

Items break all the time.

Extraoridnarily slow paced to the point of falling asleep.

Bad framerate problems.

Puzzles are way too difficult even on normal. All the ones i've encountered have been solved by trial and error. And even ones where i've looked at a guide to figure out, I still can't understand it (yep, even with the answer in front of me).

Confusing as to where to go in certain parts.

Enemies don't make sense ... why am I fighting a 'left 4 dead' prototype screamer character??

It's not scary at all.

In some parts it's too dark to navigate ... let alone try to fight an enemy at the same time. When encountering an enemy in these parts with my lighter equipped, I have to quickly de-equip it, re-equip my weapon ... and then since my lighter is de-equipped I can barely see anything except the small beam of light from the flashlight strapped to my belt. So I wildly swing my crowbar 'hoping' that I hit whatever it is that is trying to kill me, only to end up facing the opposite direction caught on an 'invisible twig' in the corner of the room that may or may not exist due to the atrocious hit detection mechanics!

The list goes on ....

I've played silent hill homecoming and that was bearable. I think the music score from Akira Yamaoka played a large part in me enjoying that game.

Overall silent hill downpour is garbage. The review from IGN giving it a 4.5/10 is absolutley accurate. I may give it another chance at some point in the future ... but I really doubt it.

Gor1lla
04-21-2012, 10:51 AM
No health bar (have to keep checking the 'statistics' menu to see my health level).
Check the blood on your clothes

Enemies don't make sense ... why am I fighting a 'left 4 dead' prototype screamer character??

The Screamer may represent:

The alarm sirens at Murphy's prison, and how they would ring if he tried to escape his cell. By extension, police sirens as well.
A murder victim. Her body is covered in decaying flesh, and her screams may reflect the screams that a victim lets out during their struggle.
Murphy's wife, Carol (http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Carol_Pendleton). When idle, the Screamer sometimes holds her arms close, rocking back and forth, as if cradling a child. This could represent Murphy's concern about how Carol dealt with Charlie's (http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Charlie_Pendleton) death, and Murphy's fear of Carol, thinking that she blames and hates him for their son's death. Thus, he sees the woman he loved, now, as a woman that is twisted, distorted and hostile.

Won't comment on your other issues

Devilishdemento
04-21-2012, 04:53 PM
I struggled with the firearms - so I simply didn't use them. You don't need them anyway, I didn't kill a single enemy with a gun and I finished the game just fine. Melee is easy and enemies only take about five hits to kill - that is, five direct hits - you won't cause damage when they're blocking you, which often happens.

eastx
04-22-2012, 03:36 AM
The screamers really are a lame enemy, as are just about every other enemy. The poor monster designs didn't ruin my enjoyment of the game though.

garabee
05-02-2012, 06:44 PM
i agree murphy seems a lil stingy when trying to melee one of the screamers.

zhoban
05-13-2012, 09:25 PM
This game is a broken mess.

I really love survival horror games but I just can't stomach this one.

Heres my gripes:

Bad controls.

Atrocious hit detection.

Items break all the time.

Extraoridnarily slow paced to the point of falling asleep.

Bad framerate problems.

Puzzles are way too difficult even on normal. All the ones i've encountered have been solved by trial and error. And even ones where i've looked at a guide to figure out, I still can't understand it (yep, even with the answer in front of me).

Confusing as to where to go in certain parts.

It's not scary at all.

In some parts it's too dark to navigate ... let alone try to fight an enemy at the same time. When encountering an enemy in these parts with my lighter equipped, I have to quickly de-equip it, re-equip my weapon ... and then since my lighter is de-equipped I can barely see anything except the small beam of light from the flashlight strapped to my belt. So I wildly swing my crowbar 'hoping' that I hit whatever it is that is trying to kill me, only to end up facing the opposite direction caught on an 'invisible twig' in the corner of the room that may or may not exist due to the atrocious hit detection mechanics!

The list goes on ....

I've played silent hill homecoming and that was bearable. I think the music score from Akira Yamaoka played a large part in me enjoying that game.

Overall silent hill downpour is garbage. The review from IGN giving it a 4.5/10 is absolutley accurate. I may give it another chance at some point in the future ... but I really doubt it.
Thank you, those are all of my same problems as well. The game was just absolutely awful. I actually took the game back because of the final Otherworld chase scene because it was so fucking terrible. I can't tell which game is more dark, Silent Hill HD Collection or Silent Hill: Downpour. Tom Hulett and Devin Shatsky should feel ashamed for what they've done to two great games and the fact that they further put a nail into the coffin of a once great Survival Horror series. But then again, Silent Hill has gone downhill since Silent Hill 4: The Room.

zhoban
05-13-2012, 09:31 PM
The screamers really are a lame enemy, as are just about every other enemy. The poor monster designs didn't ruin my enjoyment of the game though.
Really? The poor monster designs were a huge reason for me despising this game. It is Silent Hill. As much as these guys have praised the original Silent Hill games they obviously don't know what made the Silent Hill games so great. One of which was great monster designs which they obviously didn't understand.

HabsCen10ial
05-14-2012, 12:41 AM
Really? The poor monster designs were a huge reason for me despising this game. It is Silent Hill. As much as these guys have praised the original Silent Hill games they obviously don't know what made the Silent Hill games so great. One of which was great monster designs which they obviously didn't understand.

Hey, there is a button at the bottom of each post that says "multi off". If you want to quote more then one person click on it and change it to "multi on" on all the posts you want to quote and then hit reply. Just a tip I learned over time.

On topic: I didn't mind the combat in this game even though it was so basic. The monster design was the downfall for me. I just picked up Silent Hill HD so I'm hoping it'll be better.

zhoban
05-14-2012, 12:46 AM
Hey, there is a button at the bottom of each post that says "multi off". If you want to quote more then one person click on it and change it to "multi on" on all the posts you want to quote and then hit reply. Just a tip I learned over time.

On topic: I didn't mind the combat in this game even though it was so basic. The monster design was the downfall for me. I just picked up Silent Hill HD so I'm hoping it'll be better.
Sorry about that. I hope this isn't going to be your first time through Silent Hill on the Silent Hill HD Collection because that isn't the best way to have your first time through. There are so many problems in those games. The game being too dark, audio not being there, framerate issues, fog being dumbed down and a lot of other problems I could point to. If you only own an Xbox 360 then I would recommend trying to play those games, but don't think of them as terrible because of the things I mentioned. Those kinds of things were never in the PS2 games. However, if you have a PS2 then I would highly recommend getting it on that instead.

eastx
05-14-2012, 03:37 AM
Sorry about that. I hope this isn't going to be your first time through Silent Hill on the Silent Hill HD Collection because that isn't the best way to have your first time through. There are so many problems in those games. The game being too dark, audio not being there, framerate issues, fog being dumbed down and a lot of other problems I could point to. If you only own an Xbox 360 then I would recommend trying to play those games, but don't think of them as terrible because of the things I mentioned. Those kinds of things were never in the PS2 games. However, if you have a PS2 then I would highly recommend getting it on that instead.

Both Silent Hill Downpour and HD Collections are due for patches that will fix some of their problems. I would just wait until the patches arrive to play either game.

Ameno
06-16-2012, 06:08 AM
Yeah I actually find it easier to skip enemies. I actually missed how you could dodge roll from enemies in Homecoming.