PDA

View Full Version : Completely terrifying..

TwoZacksOneCup
04-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Having never played any of the old Silent Hills (apart from the first, barely made it to the highschool when I was about 6 or something), I started SH2 the day before the HD collection came out - got delivered early. I think its fair to say I completely shit my pants throughout 90% of the game.

Maxed out Homecoming, not that scary so I wasn't expecting much of a scare but yeah, 19 and completely traumatized by a videogame.. anyone feel the same way? Haha

Herr Shaun
04-16-2012, 08:43 PM
SH2 and SH3 were scary the first time, but nowhere near as scary as SH4 imo.

xTGMx INF3RNO
04-16-2012, 08:45 PM
You think this is scary. Try dead space scariest thing ive ever experienced lol

One Winged Joker
04-16-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm 19 too, and I'm always looking forward to be traumatized by any good scary videogame! :D It happened to me with Resident Evil 4... I was 13 the first time I tried it. Because of that, the game still gives me shivers every time I try to play it, but... Actually, it's kind of nice. Fear is one of the best feelings I can ask for in a videogame. Really makes them to be remembered.

I'll be playing this one soon... :)
:whs

TwoZacksOneCup
04-17-2012, 11:29 AM

Yeah man I played both Dead Spaces, second one lacked a bit IMO but yeah, first one is something else haha

xTGMx INF3RNO
04-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Yeah. Second one was better than the first and scarier in some points. But overall dead space 1 wow. When i did it on impossible i was constantly shitting it.

Creazil
04-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Two words. FATAL FRAME. Try those games. :L Then you'll know scary in video games.

Also, a bit of F.E.A.R too. Them two franchises are the shit with scares.

Zero2704
04-17-2012, 09:38 PM
I love how it still scares me playing it back now in HD. I can actually play it now without hiding behind the sofa which helps

mpc1992
04-17-2012, 11:37 PM
F.E.A.R. was something different. SH brings me back to the good old days. Awake past 1 AM trying to get down the street covered in fog... Oh God not that sound again... (Gets attacked).... (Dies)... GAME OVER. Happy trails!

xTGMx INF3RNO
04-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Amnesia aswell. But I think dead space is the worst.

Darkforce412
04-19-2012, 12:23 AM

thats scary but resident evil 1 remake is the all time scariest game ever.

Shadowiii
04-19-2012, 07:20 AM
Silent Hill is a much different type of scary from Dead Space. Dead Space starts atmospheric then turns into a shooter with a few atmospheric segments. Silent Hill (especially 2 vs 3) is best when you are alone, in the dark, and everything is quiet and the shadows scare you. 3 tries to push it a little more with more monsters and blood, but 2 lets you scare yourself more than the game ever scares you.

Plus 2 has probably the most brilliant blend of psychological horror, enemy design, and story of any game. Period.

I loved Dead Space 1 and 2 a metric ton, but for me they pale in comparison to the early Silent Hill games. I've gotten every ending on 2, and even then when I booted up the HD collection yesterday the apartment building still gave me the willies.

Oh, and 26 and love horror, so there's no shame in these freaking you out. :P

Oh, and props to the Fatal Frame drop. Fatal Frame II is scarier in it's first 5 minutes than almost any other game I've played. Those need an HD remake!

sleepymexican45
04-19-2012, 08:05 PM
yes!!!! :D

xIAmAZombiex
04-20-2012, 01:39 AM
I fully don't see the deal with Amnesia. It's not that scary when half the time you're staring at a wall waiting for your screen to stop wobbling around. Now, Silent Hill on the other hand. Ho-ley-shit. It's not just throwing scares in your face, it's making you feel so insanely uncomfortable that you struggle to carry on. Dead Space, while amazing and possibly the greatest horror game this generation, always felt like you could just shoot your way out of anything.

TwoZacksOneCup
04-23-2012, 12:44 PM

I only really remember a few parts up to the Snake thing (never got further than that, I was like 5 at the time haha). Pretty scary game at the time but can't imagine it having the same impact now.

Finished Silent Hill 3 now, not so psychologically damaging as SH2, but damn scary nonetheless.. on the first playthrough anyway. As soon as I had the anime costume the atmosphere in the game was just gone haha.

xfactorhatesu
04-23-2012, 04:26 PM
[QUOTE=Creazil;5019637]Two words. FATAL FRAME. Try those games. :L Then you'll know scary in video games.

This! NOTHING compares to Fatal Frame 1 and 2. That is a level of fear in game that has never been matched and it makes me sad that more people haven't played or didn't give time to play these. I always had to play in increments to finish these games and couldn't do long stretches at a time. As someone else stated Fatal Frame 2 is scarier in the first 5 minutes than any other game is in full. Damn I wish they would make a sequel that wasn't for the Wii. :(

Ciel Nuit
04-27-2012, 01:44 AM
Two words. FATAL FRAME. Try those games. :L Then you'll know scary in video games.

Mmm. I love Fatal Frame. The Japanese sure do know how to make horror, weather it's video games or films. And no video game nor movie has ever really scared me, Fatal Frame has been the closest to ever scaring me. I appreciate creepy rather than silly jump scares, and I mean really creepy. I love it.

ChickinOnaChain
04-27-2012, 02:44 AM
SH Homecoming was scary but FEAR1 is the best one, as far as scary goes, to me.

Schism
04-27-2012, 02:49 AM
Hahah if they ever re-make the first F.E.A.R game with the RE(gamecube) graphics I would shit myself. Try playing Resident Evil 3 the first time. Something about NEMESIS stalking you through the whole game just sent shivers down my spine. The sound of them boots...those boots...

Mighty Goliath89
04-27-2012, 08:51 AM
every single SH game has had me on edge and really wanting to get hold of the HD collection and downpour but F.E.A.R, dead space 1 and 2 have had to be the most recent games that have had me shitting myself.

PLEYOR
05-01-2012, 05:46 AM

I'll never forget the first time I encountered a crimsonhead, scared me ****less. I done a 180 and ran back through the door I came from, waited ages went in and could hear the savage breathing. Once I plucked up enough courage i went for it, Crimsonhead 1 - Jill 0.

xTGMx INF3RNO
05-01-2012, 08:19 AM
I didnt find fear scary in anyway i didnt even know it was a horror tbh.. I found it pretty shit aswell.

ImaginaryRuins
05-03-2012, 05:33 PM
I personally find SH2 scarier than SH3, seems the atmosphere of SH2 is darker.

Bobo
05-04-2012, 01:38 AM
fatal frame games... hell yes. scariest games ever. i would be so grateful when my wife (then girlfriend) would get home because i was basically crying in a corner with goosebumps on my arms but still unable to stop playing the game.

TwoZacksOneCup
05-04-2012, 03:56 PM
fatal frame games... hell yes. scariest games ever. i would be so grateful when my wife (then girlfriend) would get home because i was basically crying in a corner with goosebumps on my arms but still unable to stop playing the game.

Sounds crazy haha! I think I'm going to look into playing these!

EliteShadowMan
05-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Is this really what the worlds come to when people think dead space is scary? A few jump scares throughout a 8 hour game is terrible. Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, old school Resident Evil, and Amnesia/Penumbra are the way to go.

babywuchki
05-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Having never played any of the old Silent Hills (apart from the first, barely made it to the highschool when I was about 6 or something), I started SH2 the day before the HD collection came out - got delivered early. I think its fair to say I completely shit my pants throughout 90% of the game.

Yeah I never played any of the Silent Hill games before either. Just started up SH2 got halfway through the opening cutscene and said fuck this. Shit creeped me out. No way I'm playing this at 3am all by myself lmao.

Int3rnalF3ar
05-07-2012, 03:26 AM
Is this really what the worlds come to when people think dead space is scary? A few jump scares throughout a 8 hour game is terrible. Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, old school Resident Evil, and Amnesia/Penumbra are the way to go.

Scariness is all subjective. I played every F.E.A.R. game, and didn't really find those to be all that scary. I loved both Dead Spaces, and found those to be moderately scary. Silent Hill is the only series to ever actually cause me to have a nightmare the night after. With that said, I love all of those series.

I will say, however, the one game that ever caused me to legitimately be scared to take another step was Alan Wake. That game was like a perfect blend of story, scares, and atmosphere. I have yet to play American Nightmare though. I typically don't care for arcade games, sadly.

TwoZacksOneCup
05-07-2012, 04:10 PM

I kind of agree, although the atmosphere in the first one was pretty scary throughout. It did a really good job of sucking you into the situation you were put in I thought, Dead Space 2 however, whilst still a good game, lost all sense of fear to me anyway.

But yeah, Silent Hill all the way for scares. Still haven't gone back to Silent Hill 2 since finishing it, I'm that scared! Haha

TwoZacksOneCup
05-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Yeah I never played any of the Silent Hill games before either. Just started up SH2 got halfway through the opening cutscene and said fuck this. Shit creeped me out. No way I'm playing this at 3am all by myself lmao.

Hahahaha get in there! If you think the beginning is bad.. well, good luck to you sir :P

TwoZacksOneCup
05-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Dead Space isn't scary, it's just jumpy, they're two different things, Silent Hill,verll the first three were truly scary..... And I understand why h finds the start of SH2 scary, you have the monster noises in the forest which are creepy as hell and that really weird metallic track in the room with the dead butterflies.... Tha soundtrack always f-ed me up .

Yeah haha, every time theres some collection of loud noises I freak out. I've literally sat there for up to 10 minutes at times unable to progress! Hahaha

Agreed with Dead Space though.

Jonesin
06-06-2012, 07:01 AM
Just run through with some music on and its nothing! Oh wait....that would ruin the experience....

ooh ahh mcgrath
06-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Project Zero on Xbox.

TwoZacksOneCup
07-26-2012, 03:37 PM
I think the title of scariest game ever may have gone to Slender. I can't play it without throwing things at the screen and screaming.

Bum Commando
08-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Dead space 1 was moderately scary but mostly to cheap jumps. Dead Space 2 was hardly frightening. The game always gave you enough ammo to shoot your way out of a sticky situation. Ive always wanted to finish through other silent hill games the only one ive beaten is homecoming and it was decent stand alone game but I remember playing the demo for 3 and shitting my pants all the way through. Im definately picking up the hd collection when i get a chance bugs be damned!

TwoZacksOneCup
08-10-2012, 10:29 AM
The bugs aren't as bad as most are making out, to be fair. Just an audio issue or two, and some lag in SH3 when you shoot the SMG. I liked Homecoming until I played these games, now it just doesn't compare haha :)

TheLivingVirus
08-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Shock doesnt equal fear.

In Dead Space some monsters jump in the screen all the time, thats not comparable on how a Silent Hill lets you question your sanity. At some moments I thought i was getting crazy cause I heared things I havent heared on last playthroughs and half the game consists of "Holy fu**" moments.

Thats why I love Silent Hill soo much.

Neme6ben
08-28-2012, 06:28 PM
dead space isn't as scary as silent hill that's for sure, but still, the 1st dead space is a great horror game, I just love the concept of being alone in space, reminds me of Alien, the 1st movie!

Jesseeh
10-24-2012, 07:08 AM
The bugs aren't as bad as most are making out, to be fair. Just an audio issue or two, and some lag in SH3 when you shoot the SMG. :)

Not sure if anyone is going to answer this, but bugs/lag problems in SH3 can be really annoying.

- Minor audio issues, not THAT bad.
- Picking up an item: 2-3 second freezing.
- Using a certain weapon on an enemy: Lag.
- Killing a boss: Minute to couple of minutes of lagging, until finally the cutscene triggers.
- Loading screen: Freezes on it. You see the screen moving (something red, blood?), but it won't go to the next area.

These won't happen all the time, but I hope the last one doesn't happen, when I'm going for "Save 2 or less times in one playthrough" (Even, if I'm going for the "UFO" ending.

(Hmm... would it help, if I download the game on the Xbox?)

BUT On-topic. The game makes me scared a lot, when you hear those random noises all the time. Freaks me out. :(

The Silence
02-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Two words. FATAL FRAME.

This. All of my yes.