PDA

View Full Version : Tips on getting a lot of money?

KriugerisLT
04-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Played through the game and didn't have a chance to get the "Miser" achievement for getting 10k orens.

Damn, I mean really... It's not easy to earn a lot of money like in other RPG's and to make matters worse, it's not cumulative, it has to be 10k at once which is bullshit.

I think I didn't even have that much money earned in my previous playthrough in total. Let alone get it all at once.

Tried arm wrestling, dice and brawling but it takes up wayyyy to much time to get that ammount of money.

I'm playing on Dark mode now and getting a lot of cash would be nice. Would help in making the cursed item sets.

Tnumgyz
04-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Keep everything you find except armor and weapons, and when you run out of space craft them into the next best material, then sell.
Arm wrestling is another good option, it can get you ~3000 orens in 15-20 min.

KriugerisLT
04-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Well from what I gathered so far, the fastest ways to earn money.

Also it depends on what path you're playing and this info is based on Iorvath's path.

1) The Tavern in Vergen has brawling and arm wrestling. There's a dwarf, that you can wrestle for 35 gold (you get 10 extra when you beat him for some reason unknown). So that's 45 gold, every ~30 seconds.
2) Fist fighting. You will participate in a small quest that will net you about ~250 orens, and afterwards you can fight as much as you want for 35 orens. Fighting is easy = easy money, but not as fast as arm wrestling.
3) You can try dice poker if you're good at it (I suck at it).
4) Grind harpies and sell their body parts. Feathers bring a hefty sum of money when sold in bunches. There's a huge quarry you go past by when searching for the she-troll. Tons of harpies lurk there, kill them all. Wait for 24hrs and kill them again. Grind as much as you want.

Hope it helps to anyone going for "Miser" achievement. Or playing dark mode and craving for the Cursed equipment sets.

romanzad
04-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Well from what I gathered so far, the fastest ways to earn money.

Also it depends on what path you're playing and this info is based on Iorvath's path.

1) The Tavern in Vergen has brawling and arm wrestling. There's a dwarf, that you can wrestle for 35 gold (you get 10 extra when you beat him for some reason unknown). So that's 45 gold, every ~30 seconds.
2) Fist fighting. You will participate in a small quest that will net you about ~250 orens, and afterwards you can fight as much as you want for 35 orens. Fighting is easy = easy money, but not as fast as arm wrestling.
3) You can try dice poker if you're good at it (I suck at it).
4) Grind harpies and sell their body parts. Feathers bring a hefty sum of money when sold in bunches. There's a huge quarry you go past by when searching for the she-troll. Tons of harpies lurk there, kill them all. Wait for 24hrs and kill them again. Grind as much as you want.

Hope it helps to anyone going for "Miser" achievement. Or playing dark mode and craving for the Cursed equipment sets.

thank you for all these tips, half way through a playthrough and nowhere near getting 10k!

FLIPADELPHIIA
04-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Best way to get money: Collecting harpy feathers.

During chapter 2 you will be able to fight harpies. Get the contract from the bulletin board to kill them. DONT PLANT ANY HARPY TRAPS. Go to the old quarry (the other place where you have to plant the traps. Its directly straight from Vergen; leave Vergen and go straight, past the burnt down town, keep going straight. Youll come to a fire, keep following the path to the left. Youll eventually come to a wooden statue with flowers on the bottom. From there, keep following the path thats in front of the statue. You will then see a wooden house. The spot is that whole path winding down.) Once again, DONT PLANT THE TRAPS. Meditate and wait until its midnight. There will be a TON of harpies. Simply run up and down the path and kill them all, WHILE NOT PLANTING TRAPS. Once there all dead, simply meditate and click on wait unitl midnight. They will all respawn. Its important to make sure that its always midnight.

285 feathers sell for 2,565. Youll also be able to sell all the other stuff the drop to for addition coin. It will take you about an hour to get that much in that location. Before I started I already had 5k saved up so it didnt take long at all.

You can also get the harpy sword to make things go faster: do the quest Hunting Magic until you are able to get the key from Cecil that unlocks the lair. After going in the lair (its that door at the bottom of the first farm spot you cant get to) youll be able to fight the queen harpy. Once she is dead, she drops a sword that does extra damage to harpies.

Alternately, if you have already destroyed all the nests and completed that quest, the best place to farm them is the same place where you killed the queen harpy (again, at the bottom of the first farm spot, through those doors. Just run back and forth, waiting every time you cleared the place). Also there another quarry just post the troll lair where you can farm some.

TIP: Using AARD makes them drop right to the ground

IDiivil
04-18-2012, 10:41 PM
-

Hell yes, thank you for the tip. I was starting to get stressed out over the mindless arm wrestling with the dwarf.

FANCY- *Mass spam click A to skip*
YOU'RE AS TOUGH AS- *MASS SPAM CLICK A TO SKIP*

neetz
04-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Out of interest, why is it important to do it at midnight? I've had them respawn at any time of day.

IDiivil
04-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Out of interest, why is it important to do it at midnight? I've had them respawn at any time of day.

Midnight has the highest spawn rate for the harpies, so you have more coming at you.

FLIPADELPHIIA
04-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Yea what Diivil said. I went there when the part of the quest said Destroy Harpy nests. In one run you should kill about 15 harpies every time, and each drops 1-2 feathers.

@Diivil haha yea I wasnt having any of that arm wrestling garbage. Takes to long and is just boring

IDiivil
04-18-2012, 11:40 PM
@Diivil haha yea I wasnt having any of that arm wrestling garbage. Takes to long and is just boring

The kill 500 achievement is pretty easy to net when grinding out the harpies as well. Just got it.

ShadowBlade1488
04-19-2012, 06:12 AM
What is the best way of getting money in Chapter 1? I have been playing on Dark difficulty, and just found out about the blasphemer's armor after I did a few side quests. I looked up the costs for buying the diagrams and crafting are going to be around 2400 orens plus I would have to find or buy studded and hardened leather.

BloodGodAlucard
04-19-2012, 06:34 AM
What is the best way of getting money in Chapter 1? I have been playing on Dark difficulty, and just found out about the blasphemer's armor after I did a few side quests. I looked up the costs for buying the diagrams and crafting are going to be around 2400 orens plus I would have to find or buy studded and hardened leather.

I'm working on getting this set right now. I recommend killing the Kayran first. Then collect your reward and you'll get the Haggling character attribute. This gives you 20% better prices in shops. That should make buying the diagrams and crafting components much cheaper. As far as money goes, I've just been beating the crap out of people at the inn/brothel. I already finished the tournament and Fight Club quests. It's still a fairly quick and easy way to get orens though. Other than that, just store all of your stuff at the inn and go around town raiding people's houses to fill up your inventory. Then sell off all the stuff you don't need. Hope this helps you out. :)

ChaosTheoryV2X
04-19-2012, 05:46 PM
I did a lot of 30 oren wrestling for the materials for it personally ;s. It was a hassle but it makes Dark kinda easy =P.

Note to anyone else.. I may have found a glitch in arm wrestling ch 2, conditions might be difficult to replicate but I posted a new thread on it.

brightbonewhite
04-20-2012, 03:07 AM

This is a great tip. On my first playthrough on PC I noticed they sell for a hefty amount. Just remember to save some for the hilarious harpy feather side quest...

ShadowBlade1488
04-20-2012, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the tips BloodGodAlucard and ChaosTheoryV2X. For that Haggling character attribute, you only get it if you persuade the merchant to pay double for killing the karyan. I hadn't chose that option and didn't have a save before then. I started the game over and defeated the karyan again to get the attribute.

ryanclive
04-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Getting out of lurk status to say many thanks for this simple, yet elegant solution. I was getting frustrated with weak weapons and armors, and this helped heaps. Gained 3 (or 4) levels in the process, too.

BSH 1975
04-21-2012, 01:07 PM

You can get this armor in act 1? but only on dark....hmmm so it is of no use to me then :mad:

PsychicHorns
04-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Anyone else notice how shit a job monster hunter is? The money you get for a contact barely covers the money you spend to prepare. I'm going to get a part time job as a chimney sweep.

ryanclive
04-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Anyone else notice how shit a job monster hunter is? The money you get for a contact barely covers the money you spend to prepare. I'm going to get a part time job as a chimney sweep.
Yeah, noticed that too lol. Particularly the one for harpies. Procuring 7 harpy traps cost quite a bit, and you only get 50 Orens for it. XD

Pretty much ignored that, though, and focused on getting feathers for Elthon and a few more as sellables.

At least it was easier than the Nekker job on chapter 1. Didn't use a guide, and finding the last nest was frustrating for me haha.

PsychicHorns
04-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Yeah, noticed that too lol. Particularly the one for harpies. Procuring 7 harpy traps cost quite a bit, and you only get 50 Orens for it. XD

Pretty much ignored that, though, and focused on getting feathers for Elthon and a few more as sellables.

At least it was easier than the Nekker job on chapter 1. Didn't use a guide, and finding the last nest was frustrating for me haha.

Yeah collecting lots of harpy feathers is best way to get lots of money. I saved my game and then sold everything I had to get the miser achievement.

littlejay
04-21-2012, 11:03 PM
The quest where you find the visionary (i think that's right) has an infinite harpy spawn. You might have to run around a little bit for a few more to come down but it's steady and better than waiting for more and going back. I just needed to mute my sound because he would not stop saying "step into the circle! Come here!"