PDA

View Full Version : Combat ?

chach7171
04-18-2012, 04:54 AM
Just picked the game and have a few questions about it. While I know and like that this isnt a button masher in terms of combat, I'm finding it very clunky and awkward and i'm getting surrounded and manhandled constantly is there ever an point where it all clicks? because so far I'm not enjoying the game and on normal getting trounced constantly is quite annoying, I'm really hoping it's not similar to AC in that it's very parry heavy.

The Buahaw
04-18-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm sure it'll get better (i'll develop a better grasp of things), but for now i'll join you in this, 'very clunky and awkward' boat.

The Witcher wastes no time in drowning you in tutorials. Then says, "drink some potion & oil your sword," (which there hasn't been a tutorial for) so i assume i can press, 'A' on a potion from inventory? Nope, gotta meditate about it..... & i still don't know what, "oiling my sword," :woop: does.

The controls seem to be more complicated than needed, especially w/ a 360 controller & not a keyboard. I struggle when using all the, "quick" slot items. Whitch are sooo quick the game must slow down time for you to even have a chance @ aiming the unadjustable, unbelievably sensitive camera.

I don't hate the game, its just tough to get used to, and hopefully I will. The opening cinematic on the ship has been the highlight of the game & leaves me w/ hopes of becoming as badass as that assassin. Not the clumsy guy who takes sooo long to set a trap, that when said trap is tripped it also hits himself......

T9X69
04-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Depends how you want to play. You don't have to parry every single attack if you don't wish to. I usually roll to dodge enemy attacks then strike with a few quick attacks followed by a heavy.

As for The Buahaw post. To drink potions you must meditate. To meditate you must be out of combat. Hold LB and press A. You can only drink so many potions before you poison yourself, so you must be careful. Oiling your sword is a temporary "enchantment". Go to your inventory, Enhancements, then find an oil you want to use based on its properties. Click Enhance, and select which weapon you want to use it on.

If you're having trouble aiming, just hold LT while in combat to lock onto enemies. Then use the right stick to flick between them. Yes, it feels clunky and is a bit annoying at first. Give it an hour or two and it will start feeling natural. Also, just set traps when you see a battle ahead then lure your opponents into them. Trying to set an explosive trap while 3 guys are chasing you isn't the smartest thing. It's going to explode, so of course it will hurt you lol

chach7171
04-18-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm sure it'll get better (i'll develop a better grasp of things), but for now i'll join you in this, 'very clunky and awkward' boat.

The Witcher wastes no time in drowning you in tutorials. Then says, "drink some potion & oil your sword," (which there hasn't been a tutorial for) so i assume i can press, 'A' on a potion from inventory? Nope, gotta meditate about it..... & i still don't know what, "oiling my sword," :woop: does.

The controls seem to be more complicated than needed, especially w/ a 360 controller & not a keyboard. I struggle when using all the, "quick" slot items. Whitch are sooo quick the game must slow down time for you to even have a chance @ aiming the unadjustable, unbelievably sensitive camera.

I don't hate the game, its just tough to get used to, and hopefully I will. The opening cinematic on the ship has been the highlight of the game & leaves me w/ hopes of becoming as badass as that assassin. Not the clumsy guy who takes sooo long to set a trap, that when said trap is tripped it also hits himself......

I hear ya bud, the tutorials weren't too bad IMO but the game suggested that I play on easy after not being able to defeat the last wave after tutorial. Found that a tad annoying as I'm not incompetent as a gamer, and do like a challenge but as you said the targeting system isnt the best. The camera is indeed VERY twitchy, I really wanna get into this game as it seems there's alot to offer. But it seems like even the most base of enemies can wreck you I understand that they dont want you feeling over-powered which is fine, but getting throttled constantly off the hop isn't much fun either. As I said before I really dont wanna have to run, dodge, duck, dip, and dodge again all game either. Oh well I'll give it another crack today and see how it goes.

v SnOwMaN v
04-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Yea this is one of those games where I feel the difficulty doesn't match with what was selected. I am playing on normal and die from like 3 hits. I don't want to play on easy for the simple fact that it's easy. I can't imagine playing on Dark, but you do get more quest and items on dark.

chach7171
04-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Yeah I'm on normal and getting my ass handed to me by soldier fodder, dont really feel as bad-ass as Geralt is shown to be. Quite the opposite stumbling through menu screens and diving all over the damn place. Again I dont need a button masher but I really have grown to hate the combat, strategic combat is fine but in an rpg that's more action rpg it's tiring IMO. I really hate to do it because I was dying to play this game but sadly this will be traded in, hopefully game stop won't pork me too hard on the trade-in value...

PsychicHorns
04-19-2012, 12:37 AM
Combat is very difficult at the start but I find it's best to dodge and not focus on just one enemy. It's best to attack one enemy, change direction and hit another like in batman, also using the sign to control someone is very useful even though you might get hit while casting. Big guys with shields are easily dodged and attacked from behind.

CelticWarriorDB
04-19-2012, 12:56 AM
Parrying and using ripote (spelling?) were very clunky during the tutorial. Probably why I'm going to hate getting that one achievement.

After trail and error, now I usually just hack until they block, and roll once they attack, then hit them again. It's seemed to have worked on some enemies. Probably won't later on lol

Hansathan
04-19-2012, 01:12 AM
Man, I am just not clicking with this game. Got it 2 days ago and haven't put in more than 2 hours. The combat isn't necessarily hard, but it's tricky, and the amount of damage done to you on Normal is RIDICULOUS. I consider myself someone who is pretty good at video games, but I am getting my ass handed to me. As of this moment I am 99% sure I won't be trying Dark difficulty on my second playthrough...if I can even get through the first :/ Maybe I am just not in the mood for "high fantasy" at the current moment.

Storm1569
04-19-2012, 01:40 AM
I'm not sure why the combat seems to hard to you guys, but I find it quite satisfying, kind of like Dark Souls. Mistakes are costly and you must be more aware than those other button mashers out there.

I'm in no way saying I'm just an amazing gamer or you guys suck, but this game does not hold your hand. Could playing on the PC have helped get a feel for it? Most likely, but if you stick with it you can only get better. And in my opinion, it's well worth the wait because once you get the feel for the combat it's very fun. The tutorial also set me on Easy, but I decided to play on Normal.

Some tips I can offer to anyone having trouble is don't rely too much on the lock-on system when you're surrounded. This will prevent you from being able to successfully dodge the enemies flanking you. That said, don't disregard the lock-on system as well. Make use of dodging or blocking, and often you can block and then roll away to regain your awareness of the situation.

Also, the Quen spell comes in handy as a shield of sorts.

Zoron
04-19-2012, 02:04 AM
Now I heard the combat is like dragon age. I dislike those games. Mostly due to the combat being boring and the fact that everyone had to tell me their life story when i talked to them. I like the real time combat not selecting attacks and watching my guy attack. So the question is, will i like this game?

ghostx30
04-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Not the combat nor anything else in or about this game is even remotely comparable to Dark Souls. I don't necessarily think the combat is terrible in this, in fact, it's one of the only aspects of this game that hasn't been off-putting to me thus far. But it's certainly nowhere near as smooth and refined as Dark Souls.

IDiivil
04-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Not sure why I keep reading comparisons to Dark Souls or otherwise mentions of it throughout this forum... the two games are really nothing alike >___<

chach7171
04-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Truth be told I've never played Dark Souls, and close your eyes and put the kiddies away...I hated skyrim's combat lol. It's all personal preference for sure, but mechanically the game just doesnt seem smooth to me. I know coming off Reckoning to this would be a transition as that was essentially just a button masher combat wise, altho I found the other mechanics very smooth and easy to play. And I'm not saying this game is crap either I heard it was a challenge which is cool I'm down for that. But combat wise I just dont like it, again I feel like i'm playing the first AC always waiting to parry or roll around to reach someone's 6 oclock.

NyCEE
04-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Do you want to know the worst?
Above everythins sad in the firsts posts, the scanning area with the left stick!
I died so many times just because he stood there still in the midle of the combat touching his stupid wolf necklace!

Zoron
04-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Well i didnt say dark souls i said dragon age.

ghostx30
04-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Not sure why I keep reading comparisons to Dark Souls or otherwise mentions of it throughout this forum... the two games are really nothing alike >___<

Thank you.

Vault Lad
04-20-2012, 02:31 AM
Well i didnt say dark souls i said dragon age.

That's even more inaccurate :p

chach7171
04-20-2012, 03:50 AM
Luckily my local game stop manager is cool shit and took back my copy as a 'used' copy so i got 55$ credit on my card. And there was much rejoicing...yay:Bounce:

JasonBlade
04-20-2012, 10:45 PM
yea i was very disappointed with the game in how u couldn't drink any potions on the fly or anything so i took it back. Oh well back to ME3 and Skyrim...also have the Ghost Recon: Future Soldier beta to play.

chach7171
04-21-2012, 01:28 AM
how'd u get the beta code??!!

a hippyslayer
04-21-2012, 06:23 AM
I'd like to know how different this game is from Dark Souls from someone who has played both. Just 1000d DS and was expecting this game to be my next bad habit but I promised myself I would beat Skyrim and another game in my back catalogue before i got Witcher. As someone who played Dark Souls on a whim and subsequently cracked out on it for two months, am I going to find Witcher comparable? I'm a huge Elder Scrolls fan but after Dark Souls I'm afraid nothing will ever be the same. . .