PDA

View Full Version : Game is too hard... on Normal

Rascalov
04-21-2012, 07:55 PM
I couldn't even beat the Prologue on Normal. Got to a part where you have to beat a bunch of guys near a ballista and one of them has a shield. Trouble is, there are no ways to effectively deal with more than one enemy at a time. There are no stuns or crowd control abilities. Parrying is useless because your guard gets broken after one strong hit. If you block one enemy and there is another nearby then you just get double teamed. Also, the protection spell is pretty much useless as it gets broken by a couple of sword strikes or one arrow. I've changed the difficulty to Easy and now i'm actually making progress.

Still, if I couldn't even beat the Prologue on Normal, then I have no idea how I'm going to beat the whole game on Dark. How did you guys do it? The enemies are so strong but your character is so weak, in my opinion :)

BSH 1975
04-21-2012, 07:59 PM
I couldn't even beat the Prologue on Normal. Got to a part where you have to beat a bunch of guys near a ballista and one of them has a shield. Trouble is, there are no ways to effectively deal with more than one enemy at a time. There are no stuns or crowd control abilities. Parrying is useless because your guard gets broken after one strong hit. If you block one enemy and there is another nearby then you just get double teamed. Also, the protection spell is pretty much useless as it gets broken by a couple of sword strikes or one arrow. I've changed the difficulty to Easy and now i'm actually making progress.

Still, if I couldn't even beat the Prologue on Normal, then I have no idea how I'm going to beat the whole game on Dark. How did you guys do it? The enemies are so strong but your character is so weak, in my opinion :)

LOL I hjave the same problem..I'm new to this game and in the arena (the tutorial) where you have to fight others, there they gives you advice on what difficult level you shouyld be playing...well I got killed fairly easy and advice was easy. :p

So I'm playing on easy, but I wonder the same: how difficult is normal or dark?

AirborneRichard
04-21-2012, 08:14 PM

To help you out a bit here buddy :) After the intro bit where you shown the tricks and trades about fighting and how to lay traps,bombs, and the different fighting options and technics i first had a message after finish it it was adviced to play the game on normal. I did set it on dark and yes you do get killed easy but on dark you do get a few nice extras that kinda help you abit. But best way is to level up quikly and then is dark somewhat possible to most.
But i suggest sinds you need 2 playthru,s anyways to get it all you could start on easy so you get a feel for the combat and magic system.

General combat tips; If you have several enemies closing in on you just do quik attacks these are done by pressing "A" You also can stun or set enemies on fire selecting them in the magic wheel, the stun magic helps to stun an enemy and then quikly attack and back up.
There is also a dodge button that i suggest you use as much as possible by pressing "B" A good proven tactic is to quik attack one guy, then press "B" an you can perform a role in any dirrection by moving the right joystick the way you want to roll, in this way you can dodge incoming attacks from other enemies while you had a go on one enemy.
By using the quik attack and the joystick you can perform something what looks abit like that fighting system we had in Batman Arkham City.
If your familiar with that you can quik attack each enemy and get out mostly without to much damage, on dark this can be used aswell but alot of ppl use magic alot and just back up.
If you still having troubles a good other way is the so called hit and run way, basicly attacking an enemy either with sword or magic and then run off when possible, seems like most enemies just return to their former post, but this only is true in more open ereas ofcourse it not works in small ereas.
There the best way seem to be magic and just dodge around untill your magic refills. Hope this helps somehow :)

Tenreth
04-21-2012, 08:21 PM
If you struggle on normal, you'll never make it on dark. Or you'll smash your controller into the tv. It sucks, especially the first hours.

Anyway, the tut told me to play on easy, but i've started on dark. :woop:I'm in the middle of act 2 now w/o any talents. I've saved the points for the chevos... But if i use them, combined with my crafted armor, trash mobs go down with ease.

BloodGodAlucard
04-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Honestly every time I see a topic like this, it makes me feel awesome. Not to brag. It's just that I'm usually the one that struggles with games on the highest difficulty, but I'm having no trouble at all with this game. I was really worried about starting out on Dark since I never played the first game. It really isn't that hard though once you get the hang of how the combat flows.

Here are what I would consider to be some good tips for combat and leveling. First, I would suggest that you never try to block. Just dodge roll instead. It's way more effective since you gain distance and don't take any damage at all. Opposed to parrying, which still inflicts a percentage of the damage from the attack.

Second, focus on leveling up signs over swordsmanship. Completely ignore the Alchemy skill tree. It's no where near as useful in my opinion. Focus on maxing out Quen ASAP. Then Igni. These are undoubtedly the most effective signs for offense and defense. (Until you unlock Heliotrope that is.)

Next, when you use mutagens, only use Greater ones. I primarily use ones that grant Vitality and extra sign damage. Adrenaline generation mutagens are also very useful late game.

Get the diagram for Grapeshot bombs as quickly as you can. These are an amazing range combat option since you can stun and damage large mobs easily.

Don't forget to prepare for big encounters and boss battles. Swallow, Rook, and Golden Oriole potions are all amazing early on. Use oils on your swords as well. Falkas' Blood and Hang man's poison are both good choices here.

In terms of basic battle strategy, I would suggest casting Quen. Then use left trigger to lock on to the nearest enemy. Roll in and use A if it's an unamored/basic enemy. If it's a shield-wielding or armored enemy, use Aard to stagger them. Then roll behind and unleash X attacks. You can also get behind them or beside them and cast Igni. Then proceed to attack. Don't get greedy. Just slash a couple times and retreat.

Make sure to loot absolutely everything. You're going to have to have a lot of money to get the cursed armor and weapons. They will make you nearly invincible on Dark. Use what you need for crafting and alchemy. Then sell everything else to get money. Then spend it to get these items sets: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Mode

I really hope this helps you and others out. I think that should give you at least a good starting point. :)

BSH 1975
04-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Honestly every time I see a topic like this, it makes me feel awesome. Not to brag. It's just that I'm usually the one that struggles with games on the highest difficulty, but I'm having no trouble at all with this game. I was really worried about starting out on Dark since I never played the first game. It really isn't that hard though once you get the hang of how the combat flows.

Here are what I would consider to be some good tips for combat and leveling. First, I would suggest that you never try to block. Just dodge roll instead. It's way more effective since you gain distance and don't take any damage at all. Opposed to parrying, which still inflicts a percentage of the damage from the attack.

Second, focus on leveling up signs over swordsmanship. Completely ignore the Alchemy skill tree. It's no where near as useful in my opinion. Focus on maxing out Quen ASAP. Then Igni. These are undoubtedly the most effective signs for offense and defense. (Until you unlock Heliotrope that is.)

Next, when you use mutagens, only use Greater ones. I primarily use ones that grant Vitality and extra sign damage. Adrenaline generation mutagens are also very useful late game.

Get the diagram for Grapeshot bombs as quickly as you can. These are an amazing range combat option since you can stun and damage large mobs easily.

Don't forget to prepare for big encounters and boss battles. Swallow, Rook, and Golden Oriole potions are all amazing early on. Use oils on your swords as well. Falkas' Blood and Hang man's poison are both good choices here.

In terms of basic battle strategy, I would suggest casting Quen. Then use left trigger to lock on to the nearest enemy. Roll in and use A if it's an unamored/basic enemy. If it's a shield-wielding or armored enemy, use Aard to stagger them. Then roll behind and unleash X attacks. You can also get behind them or beside them and cast Igni. Then proceed to attack. Don't get greedy. Just slash a couple times and retreat.

Make sure to loot absolutely everything. You're going to have to have a lot of money to get the cursed armor and weapons. They will make you nearly invincible on Dark. Use what you need for crafting and alchemy. Then sell everything else to get money. Then spend it to get these items sets: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Mode

I really hope this helps you and others out. I think that should give you at least a good starting point. :)

thanks man, I'll use these tips on my 2nd playthrough on Dark.

ChaosTheoryV2X
04-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Personally because of my playstyle Dark is just too easy altho its the same route most take to do well in DARK (I'm all about OFFENSE TO THE MAX!). Given I'm a pretty skilled player (I'm not boasting I just never have that much difficulty on highest difficulties) however to make Dark easy mode is simple: Get the Cursed Armor sets (3 of them) although the 2nd one can go straight through chapter 3, in otherwords if you don't have the $$ the 3rd set isnt worth the trouble.
Like the above said.. the Shield sign is god, its so awesome its ridiculous especially upgraded, couple this with everything related to incinerate and you will dominate groups. Personally I'm lazy and don't use any gadgets altho bombs can be very useful, especially in tight spaces (the worst part about dark is fighting in tight spaces).

Little extra info, getting the first cursed set I got it before the easy 800 orons from the krayan mission. I probably arm wrestled mad max 100 times. It was tiring but its not so bad if you watch a show or do something while you do it. You buy all the diagrams and the materials and boom. Personally I wouldn't recommend crafting the materials needed for crafting the armor/weapons as there components outweigh expense wise just buying the items from the vendor(s).

For the second set I arm wrestled the final guy in ch2 for 100 orons a pop up till 10k and having always picked up weapons/armor/creature materials I was easily able to buy both 2nd and when the time came 3rd sets. Too easy =).

PsychicHorns
04-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Is there any way to make your skills mutate or does it just happen randomly? I've only mutated 2 and I'm level 21.

Tenreth
04-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Is there any way to make your skills mutate or does it just happen randomly? I've only mutated 2 and I'm level 21.

The last skills have a small circle on the symbol, press Y when you've learned them and you can choose a mutation from your inventory

PsychicHorns
04-21-2012, 10:09 PM
The last skills have a small circle on the symbol, press Y when you've learned them and you can choose a mutation from your inventory

Oh right just the last skills thanks, I only got the ones on the training path. Working on the sword path now.

II OE II
04-22-2012, 05:25 AM
doing my first playthrough on Dark just because i want to have the excessive challenge (from what i hear)

Mutalus
04-22-2012, 07:55 AM
If you have the chance to cast it without taking a hit. Charm an enemy with a two handed weapon or someone else who is strong. This has two advantages, he will put serious hurt on your enemies and also he won't be chasing you during that time. Since they will be fighting each other for the duration it effectively means you have 2 less enemies to worry about.

o D M C o
04-22-2012, 08:24 AM
So, exactly where and how do you get these cursed armor pieces?

Nevermind I found this Cursed Armor guide;

http://nogamenotalk.com/2011/10/07/your-more-or-less-definitive-guide-to-geralt%E2%80%99s-dark-armor/

ponypo2001
04-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Sorry, but had to stop at you saying there was no crowd control abilities. There are 3 and all are right there in the prologue (this isn't counting bombs and traps which you can use throughout the game). Take another look through your signs and what they do, you will find your 3 crowd control abilities.

JuSt BLaZe
04-22-2012, 01:27 PM
How did you guys do it? The enemies are so strong but your character is so weak, in my opinion :)

For my DARK run (Roche's Path) easy and simple:

I fully upgraded DESTRUCTIVE MAGIC, QUEN, VENTING, SIGN INTENSITY and the rest to SWORDSMANSHIP.

Took me roughly ten hours. Hard part for me was only the dumbass DRAGON.

ponypo2001
04-22-2012, 02:57 PM
For my DARK run (Roche's Path) easy and simple:

I fully upgraded DESTRUCTIVE MAGIC, QUEN, VENTING, SIGN INTENSITY and the rest to SWORDSMANSHIP.

Took me roughly ten hours. Hard part for me was only the dumbass DRAGON.

Agreed. The dragon was the only part I died on more than once. Drink plenty of potions and apply a suitable oil to your sword then hit and run. I really hope everyone has a good silver sword here too else you're in trouble! You'd also better be good at dodging on this fight cause without Quen on, 1 hit in the back and you're dead (even with the 2 points in damage reduction).

Mr Bumblebadger
04-22-2012, 03:00 PM
I found the game impossible with a controller, i feel it works better with keyboard and mouse, but unfortunatlely that isn't avaliable for xbox, I feel your pain - not being able to fully enjoy the amazing game which is TW2

DragonEddie
04-22-2012, 04:16 PM
If you struggle on normal, you'll never make it on dark. Or you'll smash your controller into the tv. It sucks, especially the first hours.

Anyway, the tut told me to play on easy, but i've started on dark. :woop:I'm in the middle of act 2 now w/o any talents. I've saved the points for the chevos... But if i use them, combined with my crafted armor, trash mobs go down with ease.

Tenreth... How did you get past the part in Chapter 1 with the dragon flying over? I think it's called "At the Fore" where you're running with the king, the chick and some other dude. I'm playing on dark and keep getting roasted.

I cast Quen and I run through the first corridor on the left, kill the two enemies, then run to the next... In this one I get fried by the dragon either during, or after killing the two in there... If the dragon hits me once, I'm dead! (even if Quen was activated fresh right before). It's pissed me off so bad I'm thinking about just playing the game on easy and saying "screw it"....

I've actually played this one scene over and over so many times, I've almost lost ALL interest in playing this game at all. :-/

ryanclive
04-22-2012, 05:58 PM
After reading your posts about the Dark difficulty mode, I think I'm not going to try it anytime soon lol. Finishing it on normal is good enough for me hahaha.

As for the OP, things will get much easier. Everybody has already given you the best tips, but one thing I can advice you is to save often. The auto save in here is just bollocks. Nothing sucks more than dying after a long trudge of enemies, and being taken back to an early spot that's already too far off.

Tenreth
04-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Yeah, i know and hate this part. Died there over and over again.
The first two guards should go down with ease, then wait at the end of the first corridor. Run when the dragon spits his fire. He does 2 runs (one in each direction, so be fast) While fighting both dudes stay away from the borders. Especially the right side. If you're too close, you'll die from fire. Just do some fast hits and then retreat, let Triss, Foltest and Roche do the most.
The hardest part is behind those 2 guards. There are 3 or 4 enemies waiting right in front of the gate.

rapture23
04-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Umm...yes there are stuns. The witcher 2 on 360 has actually been made easier. This part in particular used to be much harder. You can use the aard sign to stun enemies outright or the yrden sign to set a trap for them. You can also use the axii sign to take control of one of them and make them fight against each other. Drink swallow before entering this battle. You have to dodge alot too.

littlejay
04-22-2012, 07:44 PM
I just started Dark and it's tough but not impossible. It's a lot of hit-run-hide tactics so far at the start. The bows cause the most problems so far.

$weeetFA
04-22-2012, 08:09 PM
After reading your posts about the Dark difficulty mode, I think I'm not going to try it anytime soon lol. Finishing it on normal is good enough for me hahaha.

As for the OP, things will get much easier. Everybody has already given you the best tips, but one thing I can advice you is to save often. The auto save in here is just bollocks. Nothing sucks more than dying after a long trudge of enemies, and being taken back to an early spot that's already too far off.

Agree 100% about the save issue.

GaussianMist
04-22-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm not having any trouble with this game at all. Only problems I've had were the boss fights, but even they weren't that hard.

gintoki
04-22-2012, 08:54 PM
It's a very hard game so the only thing you can do is to progress with your skills on the game and do better :)

Tenreth
04-22-2012, 09:19 PM
My game is now a piece of cake... i've become unkillable. My lifebar is empty, my energybar, too. But i won't die. Nice glitch, but ruins the game :D

y0uNgHoLLyWo0d
04-23-2012, 04:46 AM
Make use off all your potions, armor & sword enhancement. If Normals hard then your definitely not ready for dark. To me dark is a little challenge but it's doable...potions & enhancements...parry & dodge...

DragonusDarque
04-23-2012, 04:58 AM
Oddly enough, I am doing okay on Normal. I am well into Chapter 1 and have died a few times, but most were my own fault (not dodging right, running into the middle of a group, etc).
I was actually surprised when the game suggested Normal. I got up to the group with the creature in it, took it down, but got careless and died.
Basically, I just get a couple quick hits or one heavy hit, then roll outta the way. Also, I make liberal use of my bombs and traps (though, mostly bombs). I have one that blinds and freezes enemies, which is perfect for larger groups.

Tenreth
04-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Craft or/and buy daggers and use them agains bosses.
Profit.

Alejandroxx
04-23-2012, 01:07 PM
I just wanna know if you finish the game on normal can you starte with all your power and level on dark difficult......

JuSt BLaZe
04-23-2012, 01:16 PM
i just wanna know if you finish the game on normal can you starte with all your power and level on dark difficult......

Nope, NO NEW GAME+

cheevo360
04-23-2012, 02:19 PM
I just wanna know if you finish the game on normal can you starte with all your power and level on dark difficult......

No everything reset so you have start over on this again. I wish this game got new game plus. :P

Rascalov
04-24-2012, 07:41 AM
Damn... I'm so not looking forward to fighting the Kayran on Dark. :D

v SnOwMaN v
04-24-2012, 11:46 AM

I concur with the title of this thread.

Tenreth
04-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Damn... I'm so not looking forward to fighting the Kayran on Dark. :D

Act1: Kayran: Keep QUEN active. That's the key.
Act1: Letho: always keep rolling around or you will die, QUEN helps but is not required, dagger him down or AARD + 2 A and 1 X hit, instant retreat, just keep rolling around until his QUEN runs out
Act2: Draug: Trap him with YRDEN, then punch the shit out of him, use QUEN!
Act2: Roche's path: Henselt: QUEN + hit and run, easy fight
Act3: Dragon: QUEN alyways active! never ever fight w/o it or you're dead meat, spam daggers (bring ~100-150 just in case) - phase 1 in the tower, stay in the middle but in the back - phase 2 on the roof, this one is tricky, just stay away from him completely, especially when he hides
Act3: QUEN + AARD when his shield is down, just like in act 1, but much more room to avoid him

Hansathan
04-24-2012, 04:50 PM
I also had to dumb this game down to Easy near the end of the prologue. Maybe it's because I just finished Amalur, where button mashing works on the hardest difficulty, or maybe I just have less will to force myself through a frustrating experience the older I get. Either way, I'll tackle this game when I get the urge to. I actually put it down completely at the end of the prologue. One day...

Hoborg
04-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Eh? I think I will pass on 1000g. I'm having fun on easy.