PDA

View Full Version : 343 Sparkast - April

Blink
04-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Some of you may know that on Friday, 343 released a 40-minute long podcast (or sparkast as they called it), where several people involved in the development of Halo 4 answered some questions about it. This one was specifically about the multiplayer. Here are some of the main points I picked up on;

1) Weapon drops are random - They were a bit cryptic with this, but my interpretation is that whenever a weapon spawns, it could be any power weapon. Also, weapons don't spawn at fixed intervals like in previous Halo games. However, it was mentioned that "plenty" of warning was given before a weapon spawned. The initial weapon spawn at the start of the game has been kept to promote map flow.

2) Players can choose their spawn time - When a player dies, they no longer have to wait a fixed amount of time before re-spawning. Now, they can choose to spawn as fast (instantly) or slow (within a reasonable length of time) as they like. They did mention that players would have to wait a certain length of time before respawning in objective game types, to allow the other team to pull the flag, plant the bomb, etc.

3) Loadouts return - The loadout feature from Reach will be coming back, with new upgrades.

4) Custom starting weapons can be unlocked - No longer will potentially competitive games be ruined by people choosing AR starts. Now the player can unlock the ability to start with whatever weapon they like; AR, BR, DMR, etc (not rockets or other power weapons). Personally, this is one of the main things I'm looking forward to.
It wasn't fully explained how you'd go about unlocking these, but it will be cross-compatible between game types, i.e. if you unlock the BR to start in Firefight, you can use it in Multiplayer too.

5) Both the BR and DMR will feature - As you may have guessed from the previous point, both the DMR and BR will be in the game.

6) Everyone can sprint - Apparently, sprint was the most commonly used loadout in Reach by a considerable amount. For this reason, everyone now has the ability to sprint as well as another user-defined loadout.

7) Sprint isn't as effective while being shot - This is another favourite addition of mine. I've lost count of how many times in Reach some noob has sprinted at me and double beat me down. In Halo 4, if you're getting shot at while sprinting, you will be slowed down somewhat. Now you should be able to kill "that guy" before he melees you twice. Likewise, this will also stop people being able to flee from combat by sprinting away as effectively.

8) Forerunner vision - With the addition of Halo 4 comes new armour loadouts to pick from, and forerunner vision is one of them. Again, it wasn't fully explained, but it will enhance your ability to see enemies in battle (it was likened to the visor mode from ODST). The downside is that the enemy will be able to hear you in some way when you're actively using it.

9) Armour lock has been removed - Everyone who has played Reach knows just how frustrating an armour locking opponent can be. 343 agree that it's overpowered and have decided to remove it completely. This is another positive move in my opinion.

10) Features can still be tweaked in custom games - Most of the features can still be changed in custom games. This means that competitive tournaments will still be able to get a more original Halo experience.

If you want to listen to the sparkast yourself, it can be found here (http://halo.xbox.com/blogs/post/2012/04/17/343-Sparkast-012-A-Halo-4-Multiplayer-focused-Extravaganza.aspx).

Finally, 343 said that these recordings will be a regular feature up until the release. I'll do my best to listen to them and review the points here. The game is still in the development phase, so some of these things may change before the release.

Vectorman953
04-23-2012, 01:51 AM
2) Players can choose their spawn time - When a player dies, they no longer have to wait a fixed amount of time before re-spawning.

So now the really horrible players that normally go k/d -18 can keep respawning instantly, effectively helping the other team win.

4) Custom starting weapons can be unlocked. It wasn't fully explained how you'd go about unlocking these, but it will be cross-compatible between game types, i.e. if you unlock the BR to start in Firefight, you can use it in Multiplayer too.

Firefight isn't coming back. (source (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-11415-Halo-4-s-Firefight-Replaced-By-Spartan-Ops-as-Multiplayer-Details-Drop.html)) Hate to be nitpicky, when you probably meant spartan ops

6) Everyone can sprint - everyone now has the ability to sprint as well as another user-defined loadout.

You really have to wonder if this will impact the size of the maps at all. I also don't particularly like that you can no longer sprint away - sometimes retreating is a tactical move.

8) Forerunner vision - it will enhance your ability to see enemies in battle (it was likened to the visor mode from ODST). The downside is that the enemy will be able to hear you in some way when you're actively using it.

I'm not really sure how drastically this would help people, if it just reinforces what you should already know from the radar.

Darkforce412
04-23-2012, 03:49 PM
no more armor lock? their is a god after all thank u lord that ability just drove me crazy, thats the only ability that i hated everything else is fine that is great news.

Blink
04-23-2012, 07:13 PM
So now the really horrible players that normally go k/d -18 can keep respawning instantly, effectively helping the other team win.

I'm not really sure how drastically this would help people, if it just reinforces what you should already know from the radar.

I'm pretty sure they'll implement a penalty system or something, where if you're spawning instantly and dying a lot, you'll be forced to wait.

To me it sounded as if it had a lot more range than the radar, but I see what you mean. I'm curious as to what the most commonly used ability will be, now that everyone has sprint.

Joker0fLife
04-24-2012, 05:28 AM
7) Sprint isn't as effective while being shot - This is another favourite addition of mine. I've lost count of how many times in Reach some noob has sprinted at me and double beat me down. In Halo 4, if you're getting shot at while sprinting, you will be slowed down somewhat. Now you should be able to kill "that guy" before he melees you twice. Likewise, this will also stop people being able to flee from combat by sprinting away as effectively.

This doesn't sit well with me at all...Depending on just how much you're slowed down by enemy fire, this could get really, REALLY, irritating.

Ty-Rex
04-25-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm curious as to what the most commonly used ability will be, now that everyone has sprint.
Nothing against you, just quoting you since you brought it up and it bothered me when 343 said it originally.

Sprint would definitely have not been the most commonly used ability if it was restricted to certain playlists the same way all the other abilities were. I mean, why would you ever pick Sprint over Evade when given the choice?

I'm gonna guess that the armor ability selection won't change too much. You'll still have morons picking Camo, sitting in the middle of the map, and everyone picking Jetpack when it's a poorly made community map that has no kill barriers. I really do hope Evade comes back since it was the best armor ability besides the obvious brokeness of Armor Lock.

I'm pretty sure they'll implement a penalty system or something, where if you're spawning instantly and dying a lot, you'll be forced to wait.
I'd be willing to bet that they don't do this on release. Maybe they will do it retroactively, but definitely not on release without a large public beta.