PDA

View Full Version : Halo trying to be more like COD?

FPS GLIMMER
04-22-2012, 09:49 PM
In my opinion....yes. If any of you have read the new article in game-pro they are now using many aspects of COD games.

Spec ops
Sprint
Customizable loadouts
Spending Currency on new weapons
perk system

and this is the stuff they just are releasing.

DarkReign2021
04-22-2012, 11:46 PM
In my opinion....yes. If any of you have read the new article in game-pro they are now using many aspects of COD games.

Spec ops
Sprint
Customizable loadouts
Spending Currency on new weapons
perk system

and this is the stuff they just are releasing.

None of those features are CoD-exclusive though. Spec Ops is pretty much just a co-op campaign, which has been featured in games like Battlefield 3 and even as early as Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Sprint has been discussed for the Halo series since Halo 2, though it never panned out until Reach. Customizable Loadouts has been featured in games like Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, and Battlefield for ages. The perk system is a newer system in gaming, but it's still featured in a couple other games like BF3 (Unfortunately the perk system is almost always game breaking as it caters to people that spend unimaginable hours playing the game while the rest of us are forced to suffer with lesser content. I've put a ton of hours into BF3 and still don't have every weapon unlocked. It's not really worth my time.)

As for spending to buy new weapons (which I don't believe is even confirmed for Halo 4 since this would break a game with such a small variety of weapons) this has been done in one manner or another since Counter-Strike. In fact, the system found in CS, PDZ's Dark Ops mode, etc... would be far more suited to the Halo playstyle than one like CoD or BF3. Everybody starts out equal in a match, than how well you play determines the money you make and the quality of weapons that you can afford to purchase upon respawning)

If I had to take a guess, I would say Halo 4's multiplayer is going to aim for a Battlefield style of gameplay, particularly the larger vehicle-based maps. I'm even personally hoping for a sort of conquest mode in Halo 4 like what BF3 has.)

Sideeffect11
04-23-2012, 12:19 AM
you got that right

n1ck3sixty
04-23-2012, 06:30 AM
None of those features are CoD-exclusive though. Spec Ops is pretty much just a co-op campaign, which has been featured in games like Battlefield 3 and even as early as Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Sprint has been discussed for the Halo series since Halo 2, though it never panned out until Reach. Customizable Loadouts has been featured in games like Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, and Battlefield for ages. The perk system is a newer system in gaming, but it's still featured in a couple other games like BF3 (Unfortunately the perk system is almost always game breaking as it caters to people that spend unimaginable hours playing the game while the rest of us are forced to suffer with lesser content. I've put a ton of hours into BF3 and still don't have every weapon unlocked. It's not really worth my time.)

As for spending to buy new weapons (which I don't believe is even confirmed for Halo 4 since this would break a game with such a small variety of weapons) this has been done in one manner or another since Counter-Strike. In fact, the system found in CS, PDZ's Dark Ops mode, etc... would be far more suited to the Halo playstyle than one like CoD or BF3. Everybody starts out equal in a match, than how well you play determines the money you make and the quality of weapons that you can afford to purchase upon respawning)

If I had to take a guess, I would say Halo 4's multiplayer is going to aim for a Battlefield style of gameplay, particularly the larger vehicle-based maps. I'm even personally hoping for a sort of conquest mode in Halo 4 like what BF3 has.)

Thank goodness people like DarkReign exist, and can explain why this argument is invalid.
Seriously getting fed up with people comparing COD to Halo, just because Halo is changing up how it plays, doesnt mean its 'trying to be like COD'.
Who really cares if Halo has similar loadouts/weapon customisation etc? I personally like the idea, and am looking forward to seeing how it plays. Sick of people always complaining about games, I actually feel sorry for Developers, you can never please every gamer no matter what your game has/doesnt have in it, yet people still whine and complain how bad it was, or how much it was copied from COD/BF3/Fable etc etc....

And, to end on a quote from the man himself,
"None of these features are COD exclusive though" :)

XxPikachu 95xX
04-23-2012, 06:44 AM
why does everyone say this? many games are implementing functions that are taken for granted in ALL games. just because halo is doing the same doesnt mean its trying to be like Cod. As someone mentioned earlier a lot of these functions were present before Cod had them. Just enjoy the Halo series for what it is.

DEG23
04-23-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm hoping Halo 4 sticks to being a Halo game and doesn't try and make itself like CoD or BF. If i want to play a game like Battlefield i will play BF3. Halo has a very unique style to it and as much as i would like to see these new features introduced i hope it doesn't lose that "Halo" feel to it.

Burnout x360a
04-23-2012, 01:48 PM

Excellently put my friend!

why does everyone say this? many games are implementing functions that are taken for granted in ALL games. just because halo is doing the same doesnt mean its trying to be like Cod. As someone mentioned earlier a lot of these functions were present before Cod had them. Just enjoy the Halo series for what it is.

Because to them COD is the be all and end all of shooters.

EMP
04-23-2012, 03:25 PM
If it resembles anything like Halo 3 its a plus for me.

ChickinOnaChain
04-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Imitation is the best form of flattery. But, I'm a fan of either game.

SuperSkyline89
04-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Imitation is the best form of flattery. But, I'm a fan of either game.

It's got nothing to do with flattery.

If they don't put these features in now, a year from now the same people that say they're trying to copy CoD will be asking why every other shooter has them but Halo doesn't.

This is how the gaming industry works. When one game comes up with a new idea, whoever that may be (I'm not saying CoD came up with them, I don't know who did and neither do I care), the rest find ways to use that idea in their own games. All the things you take for granted in your games came about that way and soon enough everyone will be taking these new features for granted as well.

DarkReign2021
04-24-2012, 02:17 AM
Herp Derp. Call of Duty has recharging health. It's trying to be like Halo 2? Herp Derp...

That's pretty much how the industry works. One game will use ideas influenced by another game, than another game will attempt to innovate based on that game and so on. Besides, it's not like any the movie industry doesn't do the same thing. Nothing is truly original anymore. It's just a question of presenting it in a unique way that makes it feel fresh and new to the user. You can do 2 million zombie games, but it's not until you find a new strategy to combat them or present them in a new genre or let players play as a Zombie themselves that things start to be unique.

Colby
04-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Every major developer has been copying Halo since Halo has been around. Halo doesnt COPY shit. Fact

The Bum-Mobile
04-25-2012, 08:58 PM
I actually agree. It's really not such a bizarre thing. Halo is implementing new features that, while not unique to Call of Duty, have become so popular because of CoD. You can say that CoD popularized a lot of mechanics and features and TONS of games have followed that model, yes. I think that's undeniable.

ZingZitang
04-26-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm hoping Halo 4 sticks to being a Halo game and doesn't try and make itself like CoD or BF. If i want to play a game like Battlefield i will play BF3. Halo has a very unique style to it and as much as i would like to see these new features introduced i hope it doesn't lose that "Halo" feel to it.I really don't think you have to worry about that. In fact, I'm just going to call it now. Halo 4's Multiplayer will be Fantastic. I just have a Strong feeling about it. So will the Single Player.
Herp Derp. Call of Duty has recharging health. It's trying to be like Halo 2? Herp Derp...

That's pretty much how the industry works.
Agreed, can anyone say Matchmaking? Halo 2 literally Created matchmaking for Xbox Live. Suffice it to say that we wouldn't even have Call of Duty on Consoles the way it is today if it weren't for Halo: Combat Evolved on the Original Xbox. Every modern shooter has elements from Halo and Halo 2.

Whether or not 343 gets Ideas from other popular shooters is Irrelevant. Simply because, like many others have said, nothing is Truly original anymore.

Halo Multiplayer must Change and Evolve, its that simple. Regardless of their source of inspiration I have faith in 343 Industries that Multiplayer Halo 4 will be Fresh, and still uniquely Halo.

Burnout x360a
04-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Whether or not 343 gets Ideas from other popular shooters is Irrelevant. Simply because, like many others have said, nothing is Truly original anymore. .

This.

Besides, as long as these ideas/mechanics are implemented smartly i don't see the issue with developers doing it.

Darkforce412
04-28-2012, 07:16 PM
they might be but im sure they wont dissapoint fans like cod 3 did so theirs nothing to worry about halo 4 is going to beat the crap out of black ops 2. they made a big mistake to put it on the same month as halo 4.

ajennice
05-05-2012, 03:02 PM
in my opinion CoD was trying to be like the Tom Clancy raibow 6 series... but failed!!!!!

PLaSmA T4rt
05-06-2012, 08:09 AM
If you heard the comments of people who went to the private beta they said it still feels like halo so that is good right:woop:

FDHW R3L3NT
05-09-2012, 04:05 AM
I'm for one that agrees, halo is halo and cod is cod, I think the world is far in to things and everything has been created so therefor nothing is going to be to much different, it's like movies I love them but very horro movie ends the same ever romantic movie ends the same etc.... My point is everything that we all fell in love with about halo is still there they are just adding new things in bc if not then all we have is the previous game with better graphics,

Godfather Tom
05-09-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm actually looking forward to those "Spec Ops", think it will be fun

Shadowzsn1p3r125
05-16-2012, 10:59 PM
I agree with DarkReign. Technically Halo has not copied COD. The current and previous makers of Halo are just trying to get their Halo game to be "in with today`s gaming." What I mean is they are just getting with the time and time says to start upgrading games into a whole new stage.

CMCX360
05-16-2012, 11:29 PM
COD is a fast-paced game. And guess when Halo is at it's finest? When it's fast-paced combat.

Kunduz
05-17-2012, 12:25 AM

If I had to take a guess, I would say Halo 4's multiplayer is going to aim for a Battlefield style of gameplay, particularly the larger vehicle-based maps. I'm even personally hoping for a sort of conquest mode in Halo 4 like what BF3 has.)Well put, none are COD exclusive features and been a part of different FPS games for many years now...

Elit3 m0nkey
05-17-2012, 04:07 AM
It's not becoming more like CoD, it's becoming more like every shooter out there. Almost all modern shooters have this persistent XP system where you unlock more weapons/perks/equipment as you rank up. In addition they all have custom classes where you can customize them. I hate that because it makes all these shooters feel the same.

Halo should stick more to it's arena style multiplayer. It makes it different from the competition, which can actually be a good thing if done right. The only way I will be playing Halo 4 MP is if they have a Classic gametype like they do in Reach (which is the only gametype I play anyways when I actually play Reach).

kyboy
06-01-2012, 03:35 AM
Besides, as long as these ideas/mechanics are implemented smartly i don't see the issue with developers doing it.

If they are done right, then its going to bring a lot more people to Halo.

LankstaTDOT
06-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Did Halo 3 have sprint? I actually forgot and too lazy to check, but what I like about the Halo series is that I don't need to try hard, the gameplay is really simple and basic compared to BF3 or COD and that's what I'm looking forward to in Halo 4.

Agreed!