PDA

View Full Version : Need help from some Pro Editor experts

Red Testament
04-24-2012, 10:40 PM
I've watched all of Red Lynx's tutorial videos and played around with it in the editor, but I can't solve these problems. Of course, I stopped comprehending some of the tutorial videos around data sources and filters...

1. I have a Physics Event set up where when the rider crosses the hit box it will drop a car. My problem is I'd like to drop the car sooner. There seems to be a limit to how far away an object can be from the hit box/Impulse before it won't work at all.

The car is never meant to come close to hitting the rider. And I've set up a custom camera to capture it (with an added explosion). Right now the rider, for it to work, has to be almost near the car before it drops.

2. Is there a way to create a hill/hole/crater without physically modifying the already present terrain. I wanted to use some of the elements from Archipelago -- creating a hill in midair for my track. I know Archipelago was mostly rocks, but I could've sworn there was some grass and dirt there. I figured you could put a flat slab of rock and work off that, but nothing.

3. Unless I'm missing something, I can't get Directional Force to do what I want. For the level I'm creating, lumber and saws play a big part. And I remember a SP level where a saw blade comes flying in front of the rider and sticks itself into a tree. I wanted to copy that.

Now I can get it to fling, but I can't get it to work with a Area Hit box, so it will go when I want it to. I didn't see an option to do that. Right now it just goes when I get close to it -- a bit later than I want. If I could figure that out that would be great -- sticking into a tree would be nice too, but not necessary.

The first two probably could've been avoided if I hadn't backed myself into a corner. The reason for the hill in midair was to put water around it, because I was on top of a hill about 3/4 of the way through my track at this point. And I didn't want to have to do a massive decline to continue.

Sorry for the wall of text. Any help is appreciated.

LaserPanther
04-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Check this thread on the official forum. Maybe you'll find some tips there? :)

http://www.redlynxgame.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=83&sid=70356915333c5969d3ca9a7ef9cbff74

Red Testament
04-24-2012, 11:05 PM
I'll give it a look. Thanks.

LaserPanther
04-24-2012, 11:11 PM
There are also some editor tutorial videos by RedLynx on Youtube.

Good luck with your track. Sounds pretty cool so far. :)

LDHughes
04-24-2012, 11:13 PM
once you sort what you wanna sort, let us know the track name, it sounds good and I want to play it lol.

Red Testament
04-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Well, it's based of Alan Wake if that gives you any idea of what I'm going for. And it's been very tedious and quite a learning process... to say the least.:p

I ended up just building a 3 drop waterfall with a lot of rocks in midair, instead of hills or flat land. It looks odd if it was daylight, but I'll be turning it darker and foggy, you'll never know it's in the middle of the air. If I hadn't made the track go the way it went, I could've probably avoided half of my problems. I'll know for my next -- less involved -- track.

LDHughes
04-25-2012, 12:07 AM
Well, it's based of Alan Wake if that gives you any idea of what I'm going for. And it's been very tedious and quite a learning process... to say the least.:p

I ended up just building a 3 drop waterfall with a lot of rocks in midair, instead of hills or flat land. It looks odd if it was daylight, but I'll be turning it darker and foggy, you'll never know it's in the middle of the air. If I hadn't made the track go the way it went, I could've probably avoided half of my problems. I'll know for my next -- less involved -- track.

You had me at Alan Wake!!!!!!!

Skilled
04-25-2012, 08:55 AM
You had me at Alan Wake!!!!!!!

You're not the only one!

Red Testament
04-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Well, it's up finally if you three want to give it a try.

GT: Red Testament
Track: Alan Wake tribute

In the end I think it turned out okay. There were certain things I couldn't do either because I didn't know how or the slow down in an area forced me to scale it back.

I'm now wondering if I should've added all the minor little details people won't notice whizzing by like: yellow arrows, energy cans as batteries, dynamite as flares, and other rather small things you won't notice unless you slow way down, lol.

LaserPanther
04-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Well, it's up finally if you three want to give it a try.

GT: Red Testament
Track: Alan Wake tribute
The scenery is nice, well done! But the track definately needs more obstacles.

Also, you should check out "HIGHWAY 2 ADVENTURE" by Malcom Reynold. He added some crow swarms flying over a bridge at about half through the track. These would be a great addition to your Alan Wake track. And what about some floating things, like the haunted objects and cars in Alan Wake?

It's a good track so far, but you should continue working on it, because I'm sure you can make it even better. :)

Red Testament
04-27-2012, 11:23 PM
Yeah, it probably did need more obstacles. Are birds/crows the same thing because I had some just probably in faster spots where you might not notice them. I may revisit at some point, but I'm moving onto to something different. I'll look at that map you suggested as well.

I'm either going to do a Silent Hill Otherworld Hard track or just do something original. But frankly after working on that map for a few days, screwing up, having to delete whole areas, not getting physics to work right... I think I'm ready to just play other user maps and see what ideas people have come up with. :p

Mister Buds
04-28-2012, 03:50 AM
hey, red testament. just wanted to say that i downloaded your map and used it for the "community spirit achievement." i probably posted a terrible time on it since the only bike i had at the time was the donkey, but i thought it had an awesome feel to it and was nicely done.

Red Testament
04-28-2012, 04:08 AM
Thanks, man. I appreciate that. Next time I'm on I'll watch your replay to see your terrible time. :p

The only reason I have the top time by about 10 seconds is the amount of testing and screwing up I experienced doing it.