PDA

View Full Version : Xbox "Red Lights of Death" Help

D4rk Ac3s
08-27-2007, 12:21 AM
Ok, lemme start off. I've had my xbox 360 for about 15 months now. I bought it at my neighboring Best Buy, and I bought a solid 2 year warrenty with it. I loved my 360 ever since, haven't had 1 major problem. But, problems started to happen recenty.

1. I loaded up my Guitar Hero about 10 days ago, but when it trys to load under my Gamer Tag, it froze and I couldn't play. I tried another Tag.....froze again. Since then I couldn't play my Guitar Hero (By the way, the game isn't defective. I tried it at a friend's house and it worked fine.) I also didn't get 3 red lights, just a freeze.

2. 4 days ago, I let my kid sister play Crackdown. She claimed (also in tears, saying that she "broke my 360" :p) that when Crackdown was loading, it froze. I checked it out. When it loaded, it just froze. I looked down at my 360. 3 red lights :(.

Since then though, its been fine. I played Shadowrun before I went on a 3 day vacation. Today was the day I came back. When I came back though, it was disaster. My xbox wouldn't turn on, 3 red lights. It died :(:(:(.

Now, I'm going to bring it back to the Best Buy where I got it from. I should get a new one, right? Here are my questions.

1. Do I have to bring back everything (I.E controller, headset, wires) that the Xbox came with? Or do I just have to bring in the console itself?

2. Do I have to bring in the harddrive? And if I do, should I buy a memory card to transfer my data and my Gamertag?

3. From people who've had their Xbox's died and sent to a Best Buy: Do they fix it? Or do they just swap it with a brand new one?

Opinions are much appreciated, and answers are even better. Thanks guys, I really wanna party with my 360 once more :woop:

Zef
08-27-2007, 12:35 AM
Generally when you return stuff you need to include everything that it came with, so if you bought a premium you will need to hand over your harddrive and controller etc. I've never had to return a console though so it might be different (some places let you keep the harddrive to transfer stuff over then get you to bring it in later).

If you get a new console you should be able to retrieve your gamertag onto the new harddrive (if you get one) but it would still sort of be on the old harddrive too, that might be something you want to watch.

But if you have a 2 year warranty can't you send it in for repairs? Red-lighting related errors were included in the warranty thing Microsoft did, so you should be covered right?

D4rk Ac3s
08-27-2007, 12:43 AM
I have no idea lol

Apocobring
08-27-2007, 02:08 AM
Yes, he would be covered, Zef. But if he can take it into best buy he should be able to trade it in for a new one on the spot, but that depends on what type of service plan he has. Best buy has 2 types of service plans, Replacement and service. Whichever plan you have, i would still assume it is faster than getting it repaired through MS. They should have given you a pamphlet with your warranty, it is best to check there. Best of luck...you can see the dates of when things occurred when MS repaired my 360.

(Note: all this info is being pulled straight from here (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=page&categoryId=cat10008&contentId=1043363604723&id=cat12098), I didn't get mine through best buy so I cannot vouch for this first hand)

D4rk Ac3s
08-27-2007, 02:46 AM
Thanks Apo, but I dunno what I got, so I'm not sure if it'll get repaired or if I get a brand new one.

matthewaburns
08-27-2007, 03:11 AM
I hope its replaced on the spot, Microsoft lost mine when I sent it to get Repaired. Only took forever and a day to get a new one from them.

Marx0r
08-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Best Buy's got one of the best product coverage policies ever. Call them, and they'll tell you what to do. I've broken many an electronic gadget (surprisingly, never a 360) and they've just traded it in on the spot. You need to pack up everything it came with in the original box if possible, and they'll replace everything. If you have a broken controller or microphone, toss those in instead of the working ones. They should let you keep your old drive, but they won't let you have the new one then. If all else fails, your sister broke it.;)

teh x3nomorph
08-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Also, just an aside.

You get a credit for the amount of money that you spent on your original 360, and with the $50 price drop you can add on an additional 2 year warranty for almost no cost at all!

I had an original xbox die on me that I purchased from Best Buy and that is what happened to me, I got a new xbox, 2 new games, and an xbox carrying case. Pretty sweet.

And you will need to bring everything back to them, including the box if you still have it. Best to go buy a memory card now and get the game data that you really want from it, and then take it back to Best Buy.

Hope everything gets straightened out.

D4rk Ac3s
08-27-2007, 04:16 PM
But here's the thing. My mic broke and the box is long gone. Can I still send it in?

teh x3nomorph
08-27-2007, 04:19 PM
But here's the thing. My mic broke and the box is long gone. Can I still send it in? Do you still have the mic?

I mean its worth a shot right? Just go up there and see what you can do. Even if you have to go buy a used M$ mic from gamestop to get a new 360, its definately worth it.

D4rk Ac3s
08-27-2007, 04:26 PM
So they accept broken ones? Well my friend broke it so its sumwhere around his house.

teh x3nomorph
08-27-2007, 04:35 PM
So they accept broken ones? Well my friend broke it so its sumwhere around his house. They aren't going to check the mic.

THey are going to see that the system doesn't work, and get you a completely new one, and then turf the old one back to M$ because its defective.

D4rk Ac3s
08-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Hmm I see. They wont bring my harddrive back to M$ will they?

teh x3nomorph
08-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Hmm I see. They wont bring my harddrive back to M$ will they? Yes, they are going to send everything back to Microsoft.

If you want to keep the harddrive you currently have, you are going to have to go out and buy a 20Gig harddrive, and put that with your 360 that they are sending back with the broken 360. I would suggest buying it used, and saving the packaging. THEN, take the new harddrive from the 360 you will be getting for free from Best Buy, put it in the packaging you got from Gamestop or wherever, and return it. You can return all used accessories within 7 days of the purchase date for any reason at all. That way, you get to keep your harddrive with all your information on it, for essentially free, since you are getting your money back.

Thats what I would do, even if it is a smidgen shady.

D4rk Ac3s
08-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Ok I get ya. Thanks for all your help! :drunk

teh x3nomorph
08-27-2007, 09:20 PM
Ok I get ya. Thanks for all your help! :drunk Welcome. I hope that everything gets straightened out for ya.

Capocci 007
08-30-2007, 05:16 AM
cant you just delete your gamertag , then recover it from the new harddrive ???

i just got the 3 lights and im wondering the same thing.

KewlBrettC
08-30-2007, 05:50 AM
alright, first of all i dont mean to be rude, but.... can't you figure out how to return your xbox without 10 people helping you? You go to best buy, return the thing, tell them you want your current harddrive and there you go.... not rocket science

logitech
08-30-2007, 06:26 PM
OMG, this seems to be happing to all of my friends, i mean what the hell is going on!.

o Mandrick o
08-31-2007, 12:28 PM
I know you're all the other side of the Pond but I had this happen to me exactly this week. Loss of sound and permanent freezing. Luckily no red lights and the 360 would boot ok into the dashboard

Called the store I bought it from (within warranty, its only 6 months old)
Was told on the phone when i called them that I'd need to bring EVERYTHING back. When i queried the harddrive they said they'd swap it over.
I got to the shop last night, dead XBOX in hand. They tested it, it froze, they swapped it for a brand new one.

However when it came to the harddrive swap, as Xenomorph says they send EVERYTHING back. I couldn't keep the Harddrive (they said it was in case that had anything to do with the problems I was having)

I nearly died. 115 hour of Forza career down the toilet? nope.

I bought a 512mb card siad I'd take it home and copy all my profile etc off it. instead they kindly plugged my old one in (it was ok in the system blades just wouldn't play any games) and I spent the best part of half an hour transferring all my saved games to memory card. got the new one, took it home, loaded them (inc profile) from memory card onto the new HD. No other settings needed to be done. Connected to live immediately.
Very easy in fact.

Instead of buying a new HD if you know someone else with a 360, cant you put your HD in theirs and copy what you need to memory card (I didn't realise it stores all download packs in there - I could have put all mine on a 64 mb card so pure game saves!).
Much cheaper and less hassle I should imagine than all that HD swapping, purchasing and tradin git back in again. Memory card, some time on a mates xbox, reassemble your broken one, rebox then take it back.

I leant my headset to a mate months ago (i use wireless) and didn't even think about it til I opened the new one and realised I'd got another one. They didn't even check the leads etc. They just tested the box itself using all their own leads and my pad. I did put in my original pad though which was a bit worse for wear. got a new one obviously with the new XBOX

I was annoyed at the fact I had to BUY a memeory card due to ta fault with the product. The guy in the shop took pity on me and gave me a 30 day full refund/trade in value on the memory card (cost me 35 quid)
At least I've already paid for Bioshock! Just need to go get it now.

I wouldn't panic to be honest. Just ring the store ad tell them you're coming (always best so they know you're coming). If you have a valid warranty which you as still applicable you'll be without your 360 only until you can get to the shop. Luckily for me 24hrs. And that was enough.....

Hope it goes OK.