Got question or a problem? Don't know how to craft something? Post here and me or someone else will answer it.

Q: Mobs keep spawning when I try to fall asleep. How can I avoid this?

A: You want to use this template. If the game gets updated past Beta 1.8, you won't need to.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/images/thumb/8/89/Bed_Template.png/600px-Bed_Template.png

Q: How do I get saddles?

A: Saddles are found in dungeons. More information here: LINK

Q: How do you splitscreen?

A: If turning the controller on and pressing start doesn't work in game; then, you will need to make sure your xbox is connected to the TV or monitor with an HDMI cable or VGA cable and the setting in the xbox menu are set above 720p.

Q: What is this strange rock deep in the ground? I can't break through it.

A: That is bedrock; you cannot mine through it. It is a barrier of sorts to prevent you falling out of the bottom of the world (quite literally).

Q: I found diamond at long last, when I tried to mine it it just broke! WTF?!!?!

A: You need to use an iron pickaxe to be able to mine Diamond.

Q: Obsidian just breaks when I try to mine it.

A: You need a diamond pickaxe to mine obsidian.

Q: Why can't I find clay?

A: Worlds Pre-June patch only generate clay when X and Y coordinates are the same.

Q: Did I find a pink sheep?

A: Pink Sheep do exist. They have less than a one percent chance of spawning but they do exist.

Q: I can't find diamond!

A: Diamond only spawns on layers 1-15. A layer is how many blocks above bedrock you are.

Q: How do I make a Nether Portal?

A: You need 12-14 Obsidian and Flint & Steel to create a nether portal. Create the frame then strike the bottom obsidian with the Flint/Steel to create a Nether Portal.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQX9BsE8E_vqVgEAa3-0f89Wdghl8wUNO2s1jLT8rlxIcHgcijl

Edited by StayonTarget

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you for making a FAQ thread. im new to minecraft. i played the tutorial and crafted a work bench and wooden pick, but i started a new game and cant figure out to make them. could you help? also, if anyone has any pointers, that would be appreciated also. how do you make a house? can you make it any size or shape that you want?

Feel free to add me kyboy, I can explain it. You can do whatever the hell you want in Minecraft. It's a sandbox game. That's why it's so great. It's like legos. You can do whatever you want with the pieces.

Now crafting, you need to get wood and you can press X or Y to pull up your 2x2 crafting grid. Select the wooden planks and from their select a crafting table so long as you have the supplies. Then you can rinse and repeat with a 3x3 grid instead of a 2x2.

Here's a little more information. Once you you get the hang of it, it's super easy. I got it down within 5 minutes from playing it at Minecon 2011.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting_Table

thank you for making a FAQ thread. im new to minecraft. i played the tutorial and crafted a work bench and wooden pick, but i started a new game and cant figure out to make them. could you help? also, if anyone has any pointers, that would be appreciated also. how do you make a house? can you make it any size or shape that you want?

for the wooden stuff, punch some trees for the wood, use the crafting menu to make that into planks then make a crafting table

when you sue the crafting table it gives you the options for the tools as they need the bigger grid, for pics and axes and things youll need some sticks as well as planks, everything is shown in the crafting menus on this version telling you exactly what you need

for a house, your first ones basically going to be an ugly cube made f what you can find or a cave you dig out, make sure what ever it is it is lit up completely on the inside and you craft a door for it (basic one is 6 wooden planks)

once you get more resources you can build any kind of home you want, for houses the first thing id do is move on from your beginners shack by building a house from stone or cobble stone so its strong, then start adding to it by doing things such as adding windows made from glass (smelt sand) maybe some wooden floors, then a second story with some stairs going up to it.

stairs make a good slanted roof effect aswell, when you get to the nether you can add a fire place using netherack for the fire and maybe some clay brick for the surround (just make sure you put some stone around it in the floor so no wood catches fire.

adding bits and pieces like that will help you get comfortable with what you can do, experiment on things like using different materials in places for decoration then when you get used to building move onto something more ambitious

I suspect these will pop up soon:

Q: Why do mobs keep spawning in my house? (Not sleeping)

A: Get better lighting in your house. Mobs spawn in low light levels.

Q: What is this strange rock deep in the ground? I can't break through it.

A: That is bedrock; you cannot mine through it. It is a barrier of sorts to prevent you falling out of the bottom of the world (quite literally).

Q: I found diamond at long last, when I tried to mine it it just broke! WTF?!!?!

A: You must mine diamond with a pickaxe of iron or greater.

Q: Obsidian just breaks when I try to mine it.

A: Obsidian must be mined by a pickaxe of diamond or more.

Ok i need some steel, is it found? or is it created?...

First you need to find some iron ore and mine it with a stone pickaxe (or better), then simply put the iron ore in a furnace with coal to smelt and you can then use the created iron bars to craft iron tools.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/images/a/a8/Iron_%28Ore%29.png

^ Look for that.

Is there any way to get string in peacefull mode exept for random chests in dungeons?

EDIT: Also I know on the pc version you typed something like [YourName Private] on a sign on the front of a chest and it would mean only you can open and take stuff from that chest are you able to do that on this?

Edited by Natz

Is there any way to get string in peacefull mode exept for random chests in dungeons?

EDIT: Also I know on the pc version you typed something like [YourName Private] on a sign on the front of a chest and it would mean only you can open and take stuff from that chest are you able to do that on this?

Not in beta 1.6.6 as far as I can remember, aside from spiders it wasn't until 1.8 that cobwebs were implemented.

This may sound dumb, but does rain actually do anything?

yes, when it rains depending on how heavy it it it can block the sun enough for monsters to spawn during the day

lighting has a few nice suprising effects in minecraft ;) but i wouldnt wanna ruin that for you

and when in one of the snowwy biomes instead of rain it snows which covers all full blocks in a layer of snow

Is there any tips on finding gold? I've tried a few different maps just mining a slopping tunnel down to the bedrock and I've been able to find everything but gold. For that matter, is there any tips or tricks on finding wolves? I've only seem them once when I was playing on peaceful so I didn't have any bones... Thanks in advance for any help/tips.