Constantly getting disconnected from Xbox LIVE

Squalo FIN

I have had connection problems with Xbox LIVE for a long time and I hope someone here could be able to help me. My Xbox (and GFWL) keeps disconnecting from Xbox LIVE constantly. Sometimes I lose my connection every 5 minutes or so which is starting to be really annoying.

What is really strange is that I don't lose my connection while playing online or downloading something. I don't lose my internet connection just the connection to Xbox LIVE and when I try to reconnect I get error saying "Your console can't connect to Xbox LIVE...". Second try works and I can connect again.

Another thing worth mentioning is that I was playing some games at my friend's place using my own Xbox LIVE account with his console and internet connection and I was having same connection problem. Is it my account that is having the problem because my friend doesn't have any problems at all with his account?

I have contacted Xbox LIVE support but they didn't give me any answers.

If anyone is able to help me I would really appreciate your help. Sorry for any possible spelling mistakes. English isn't my native language:)

Edited by Squalo FIN

if you are already using an ethernet cable then you may need to look at your internet connection, it may not be sufficient to maintain a streaming xbox live connection.

if none of that is helpful then you may need to speak directly with xboxsupport or your internet provider.

I'm using ethernet cable myself and I used wireless connection at my friend's place. I have 4 years old Elite console and my friend have about 1 year old Slim version so I don't think my problems have anything to do with hardware either.

I have had my current internet connection about 3 years now and my connection problems appeared last autumn. Until that there was no problems at all.

Thanks for your answer Robot Headache!

I have this problem too, I will be playing Left 4 Dead and everybody stops talking and here that blip saying Disconnected From Xbox Live in the middle of my game and have to reconnect to stop it from saying retrying to connect to server. Very annoying and happens about 3 times a month...

Guest Scotty
I have had connection problems with Xbox LIVE for a long time and I hope someone here could be able to help me. My Xbox (and GFWL) keeps disconnecting from Xbox LIVE constantly. Sometimes I lose my connection every 5 minutes or so which is starting to be really annoying.

What is really strange is that I don't lose my connection while playing online or downloading something. I don't lose my internet connection just the connection to Xbox LIVE and when I try to reconnect I get error saying "Your console can't connect to Xbox LIVE...". Second try works and I can connect again.

Another thing worth mentioning is that I was playing some games at my friend's place using my own Xbox LIVE account with his console and internet connection and I was having same connection problem. Is it my account that is having the problem because my friend doesn't have any problems at all with his account?

I have contacted Xbox LIVE support but they didn't give me any answers.

If anyone is able to help me I would really appreciate your help. Sorry for any possible spelling mistakes. English isn't my native language:)

this has been happening to me for the last couple of months or so and i have no idea why. its pretty much the same though, if i'm online it will stay connected but watching a film or playing single player it gets disconnected, then if i dashboard from a game or load a game up, it re-connects even after i tested the connection and got an error. its getting annoying now, but theres fuck all i can do about it, as far as i know.

That's a very strange problem, does it happen to any other accounts of your console? I would say maybe a NAT error but you mentioned trying it at your friends house.

Try changing your password maybe? No idea really.

I'll have to try playing with another account. I'll tell you if my secondary account stays connected.

It seems to happen to me as well.

Whenever I am logged into Xbox Live, but playing an offline game, I keep getting booted from time to time. No problems when playing online games.

It seems I get disconnected from inactivity or something similar.

This sucks ass because getting disconnected + unlocking an achievement = achievement without time stamp. It annoys me to NO END.

This sucks ass because getting disconnected + unlocking an achievement = achievement without time stamp. It annoys me to NO END.

Same thing bothers me as well.

Well either I got lucky with my secondary account or there really is problem with my primary one because I've been playing with my secondary account since my latest post and there haven't been any problems with connection. Tried several games and dashboard and none of them got me disconnected. I wasn't downloading anything or playing online so this is really looking bad. Could it really be my account that has the problem?:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the same problem as you but every once in awhile, maybe every week or two, I'll lose my Xbox Live connection. The strange thing is though that when I run the test on the dashboard it lists everything as connected.

I have some idea of what the problem might be but then again I might be wrong. I have a wireless router with multiple devices connected to it including two Xbox 360s, one connected wireless and the other through and ethernet cable. When I do have this problem everything else works fine.. computers and other devices, it's just the two consoles.

I've read up on what might be causing the problem but I have no interest in monkeying around with port forwarding or anything else on my router. Really just curious as to why sometimes everything will be fine for a few weeks.. and other times it'll happen after a few days after resetting my router, that's what fixes the problem for me.

I used to have this problem and switched to a new Ethernet cable and problem solved.

Although seems like yours is not quite that simple. try going to your HDD and doing a clear system cache on it that may help worth a try.

Also try port forwarding your connection if using a router.

Or set a static IP address and see if that helps.

i had a similar problem and i found a solution for it when i checked all my settings...

when i got my slim xbox, i have enabled wifi to test the connection. after the test i plugged in my ethernet cable and forgot about the wifi. since then i got kicked out of parties every 5 to 10 minutes. since the xbox update came around the same time, i thought it was an update problem.

nope, it wasn't... the wife and ethernet connection had a fight on who is in charge. i disabled my wifi on the xbox and voila... no more disconnects.

you check this too. this could be your problem and it's an easy fix ;)

It seems to happen to me as well.

Whenever I am logged into Xbox Live, but playing an offline game, I keep getting booted from time to time. No problems when playing online games.

It seems I get disconnected from inactivity or something similar.

same thing happens to me and when i've checked my internet connection it's got a full signal so i know it's not that.

i had a similar problem and i found a solution for it when i checked all my settings...

when i got my slim xbox, i have enabled wifi to test the connection. after the test i plugged in my ethernet cable and forgot about the wifi. since then i got kicked out of parties every 5 to 10 minutes. since the xbox update came around the same time, i thought it was an update problem.

nope, it wasn't... the wife and ethernet connection had a fight on who is in charge. i disabled my wifi on the xbox and voila... no more disconnects.

you check this too. this could be your problem and it's an easy fix ;)

I have old elite version console without wi-fi connection so I think this isn't the problem. Thanks anyway:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just googles this issue, and for the last few months I have been experiencing the exact same problem as this. I must get disconnected 4-5 times in one hour! It's getting on the point of ridiculousness now as i cant play online for more than 3 minutes!

I will try some of the advise above! I don't think I have ever had great connection to be honest, however this has only recently started and it is driving me crazy!!

Since one week i loose my internet connection every 30 Minutes/1 hour.

But when i play a game online on my xbox ,i am loosing the connection to the internet and xbox live like every 5 Minutes....

I don`t know what to do...i restarted my router but it didn`t worked.

I called my provider yesterday and they will sent me a new chip or something like that.

Hope i can fix it with that, because its so much annoying. I never had this problem before...

I wonder if anybody else had the same problem like me.

I have been having this issue as well. Same thing happens. Every 5 minutes. Turns out it was an intermittent internet access problem. Meaning it was dropping regularly. Happened to everyone with the same provider as myself in the local area. Have you tried contacting them yet? Might be an issue there. Otherwise I don't know.

Staying online has never been a problem, yet. Maybe playing SP, I haven't noticed if I'm getting disconnected or not. They usually have a page that says if they're having trouble...that is if you can get on thier web site. I've heard it's having issues with people getting on it. They keep getting that "Oops, you found a glitch" page or whatever it says.

Go into your router config and check everything. I had this problem before I monkeyed around with my router and now it's ok. I still can't get my NAT to stay open because comcast is stupid. I used to get constantly dropped on XBL before this due to the provider disconnection, slow speeds, or my Xbox just needed a restart.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem.

When i get connected to xbox live it kicks me off every 30 seconds or so.

But when i start to download a demo it keeps connected.

When the download is finished it kicks me of almost immediately.

It is not my xbox since i tried it at a friends house and it worked flawless.

I tried port forwarding, static ip-adresses, switching the channel of my router and all of the standard solutions like resetting the router etc.

This problem is bugging m now for months and playing with an ethernet cable is not an option for me.

I know this has been asked multiple times but is there anyone with suggestions/solutions?

I will build a statue for you if it works:)