PDA

View Full Version : Crawler /Watcher

Vectorman953
05-14-2012, 04:30 AM
So hopefully by now you've all read the article
(link (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-11683-New-Halo-4-Enemies-Revealed-by-McFarlane-Toys-Packaging-.html))
But I thought that the discussion of the reported enemies (mind you, they're not necessarily confirmed) could use a more permanent forum discussion place.

Personally, I don't really like them. The crawler reminds me of the mobile pure flood strain and the watcher seems to just be a messed up sentinel. But that's just my humble opinion.

That being said, until I at least see them move, or better resolution pictures, not to mention how they react as enemy combat AI, I'm more than willing to hope/think 343 will delight/surprise me.

Change is scary, but change can be good.

DEG23
05-14-2012, 05:37 AM
I personally don't care what the enemies look like, i'm more concerned with how they move/fight. The enemies in Halo have always had a well balanced variety when it comes to defeating them, but the one enemy i never liked was the drones. They were almost impossible to gun down in flight and they were incredibly accurate.

As long as the watchers/crawlers aren't jumping around the room like crazy, they will no doubt prove to be a solid enemy.

DarkReign2021
05-14-2012, 06:05 PM
The crawler looks an awful lot like another creature that was revealed on the Halo 2 Bonus disc in the cut content section. You may remember it as the Drinol (it was also rumored to be the "Sharquoi" mentioned in the "Conversations Around the Universe" manual, but it remains unconfirmed)

http://images.wikia.com/halo/images/3/3b/Drinolbig.jpg

As for the watcher, I don't really know what to make of it from such a small image. The weird wing-like object in the front doesn't seem like it would be an organic limb of any practical use. My best guess is it's a device similar to the Prophet's chairs that allows for ease of flight or a protective barrier to defend from the front. Given the name "Watcher" I would also venture a guess that these creatures are less confrontational and more reconnaissance-driven.

If my guess on the Watchers is correct, this could potentially suggest that Halo 4 might take influences from Halo 3: ODST with more open-ended levels and stealth-driven portions of the game. This could be a good or bad thing so long as it's done well, perhaps taking a slight Deus Ex approach with different ways to approach an obstacle and non-linear progression.

LickableLemons7
05-16-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm still trying to assume if they could be friendly or not. There's a chance they could be used as reconnaissance for the UNSC, right? Although that does seem like I'm stretching it too far.

DarkReign2021
05-16-2012, 11:13 PM
I'm still trying to assume if they could be friendly or not. There's a chance they could be used as reconnaissance for the UNSC, right? Although that does seem like I'm stretching it too far.

It's a possibility. They give off a vibe similar to the Huragok. It seems entirely possible that this is another organic creation of the Forerunner meant to serve an entirely different purpose. I wouldn't think they would stop at just one race when they have the ability to do more. If this were the case it's possibly they wouldn't be friendly or at the very least non-confrontational even if they do still aid the other enemy forces.

Vectorman953
05-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Well on one hand, I really like the idea that one of the shield worlds has another civilizations of completely new aliens inside of it. It seems unlikely to me that given the entire universe, the humans are the first to be able to access a shield world.
However, I think they look very "forerunner" in nature. Something about that color blue. I can't really explain it.
The orange instead of the brushed steel, however, directly contradicts this thought. Comparisons to Sentinels are obvious.

Nonetheless, I'm thinking cyborg, half machine/half organic creatures, much like the Engies

EDIT: If they are friendlies, this makes me think "why we would need so much help fighting this evil presence." and I like that thought. Maybe while master chief is exploring the shield world, it's breached by another race of aliens, deemed a threat by the engies maintaining the planet, and the watcher and crawler are extra security forces vying to contain the new alien threat.