PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions

HabsCen10ial
05-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Hey guys and girls,

I need opinions on something. I'll try to make it somewhat short.

I've played both SH:Homecoming and SH: Downpour and got 100% on both. I really enjoyed these games so I wanted to get SH:HD and see what the hype was about. My problem is I'm getting really pissed with this game and for the first time ever I'm thinking of taking it back (mainly because I have zero achievements and can delete it from my history).

I knew coming into this that it was a port of the old games and not to get my hopes up. I knew the controls were bad and to just try to enjoy the story.

I've played this game for about 6 hours and I just made it out of the apartments. I find it very hard to know what to do and I really don't want to sit with a guide in front of me for my entire playthrough. You know how much back and forth I did to rack up approx 6 hours and be just getting out of those apartments.

I just don't know how I can put up with this for an entire game let alone 6 playthroughs and a 10 star run but I also don't want to give up.

Any advice?

Gor1lla
05-18-2012, 01:27 PM
So you met Mary. James said, that Maria might be in the hotel, so try to head there. It's much easier to progress in SH2, if you just do what they tell you (makes finding the apartment key easy,too)....

If you like the story/atmosphere until where you are, keep it. It gets even better ;)

HellspawnRei
05-18-2012, 01:42 PM
To be honest calm down,Silent Hill 2 is one of the greatest of the series,much better than Downpour and Homecoming.
All you have to do is be patient,search around for clues and check areas.
It's not hard to progress the game without a guide.I got all the endings on first Xbox version,so can you,just be patient.
Same for Silent Hill 3,it's really great game easier than SH2,so you'll have a breeze with it.
Don't take it back,if you liked Downpour and Homecoming(to me these and SH4 are the worst SH titles),you will love SH 2 and 3.
But the decision is yours to make...

8BitSoul
05-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Hey guys and girls,

I need opinions on something. I'll try to make it somewhat short.

I've played both SH:Homecoming and SH: Downpour and got 100% on both. I really enjoyed these games so I wanted to get SH:HD and see what the hype was about. My problem is I'm getting really pissed with this game and for the first time ever I'm thinking of taking it back (mainly because I have zero achievements and can delete it from my history).

I knew coming into this that it was a port of the old games and not to get my hopes up. I knew the controls were bad and to just try to enjoy the story.

I've played this game for about 6 hours and I just made it out of the apartments. I find it very hard to know what to do and I really don't want to sit with a guide in front of me for my entire playthrough. You know how much back and forth I did to rack up approx 6 hours and be just getting out of those apartments.

I just don't know how I can put up with this for an entire game let alone 6 playthroughs and a 10 star run but I also don't want to give up.

Any advice?

I can understand that it could be hard to go back to an older game of this kind. If you don't have any nostalgia for the game, it can be even harder. Have you tried switching between the 2D and 3D controller setup? I used the 2D controls, because that's what I'm used to now. Back in the day when it came out, it was all about the 3D aka "Tank" controls. Let me ask you this: Do you enjoy the game at all? Is the atmosphere creeping you out, how do you feel about the story and music etc.

If you don't find the game enjoyable at all, you might want to consider trading it for something else. You've seen the essence of the game so far, and if it doesn't click with you at this point, well, it might just not be a game for you.

I do recommend that you give it a proper chance though. The game is supposed to be really cryptic with it's hints and how it progresses. It's all a part of Silent Hill's surrealistic and unreal style. Especially the story, is what most gamers are going on about when they talk about how great SH2 is. You may also take comfort in knowing that once you've beaten it, your second run will be a breeze! Progressing through the game on your first playthrough is always hard, because you might not always know what you should be doing.

I also recommend that you don't use a walkthrough, as the game is pretty old, and most guides are full of spoilers :P The feeling of beating it yourself is also pretty satisfying ;) If you are stuck an a particular puzzle though, you can head over to the Silent Hill Wiki for solutions to all of the games puzzles

Here's the link for all SH2 puzzles:

http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Silent_Hill_2_Puzzles

One last thing... If you are going for the full 1000, you should know that one achievement requires you to beat the game and achieve a 10* rating. This might seem very intimidating at first, but you need to beat the game 6 times, plus the sub scenario before you can attempt the 10* run, so you WILL know the game in and out by that point! The only thing everyone seems to struggle with regarding this challenge, is not taking more than 500 points of damage. It is a pretty challenging task, but in no way impossible! Luckily, this only has to be done in SH2.