demonizer_andy
05-19-2012, 09:13 AM
as the title says?

judd90
05-19-2012, 09:51 AM
It has an online pass yes.

TheKing97
05-19-2012, 11:50 PM
I really was hoping it wouldn't. Will a code come in the case of the game?

MyPetWorm
05-20-2012, 01:53 AM
I really was hoping it wouldn't. Will a code come in the case of the game?

Kind of obviously :P Online pass's are how they try get more money out of second-hand gaming, as if you buy the game second-hand you'll have to buy the pass to play online.

fivebyfive200
05-20-2012, 01:17 PM
not just people buying 2nd hand, renters will be not be able to play MP or just play it for day or 2

ajennice
05-20-2012, 03:08 PM
I work at a gaming store and I will will go on record saying the online pass thing is ridiculous!!!!! Fist off gouging 59.99+ for a $0.70 disk and th info on it is absurd. Gaming companies can make profit on them at 39.99. They just choose not to. We pay for LIVE for the service to play online as well. Some players are not to fault that they can not simply AFFORD to throw out 59.99+ for some titles. Even when they buy a second hand title and then the online pass, they're still up around that ammount.
A fair compromise would be to absorb the costs of ALL online passes into LIVE subscriptions. If LIVE raised 1.00-2.00 a month and then paid out a percentage to these game companies, it think that would be fair. If a game requires and online pass, I'll usually use the 24-48 hr temp pass then not play online anymore, regardless of cheeves or gameplay. I just usually pass my online code to some hot chick that buys the game used later on....LOL

xTGMx INF3RNO
05-20-2012, 03:21 PM
When tou buy a game you dont pay for the cheap disk. You pay for the rights to play it. As for the online pass if you buy the game it does not matter. Sucks if you get it second hand tho.

PharIVIacisT
05-20-2012, 05:31 PM
I HATE online passes...ugh

ajennice
05-21-2012, 12:49 AM
When tou buy a game you dont pay for the cheap disk. You pay for the rights to play it. As for the online pass if you buy the game it does not matter. Sucks if you get it second hand tho.

You're missing the point. 59.99 and up are extreme prices for the materials and the data on the disks. Think about making the game... 90% of the models are reused throughout the series' (people, movement, guns, etc), so not much NEW data is actually implememted. Most fo the time and r/d goes into story, gameplay and re-rendering of characters. The first title of a series has all new stuff, the follow ups are basically the same old stuff.. with a new coat of paint. The gaming industery would boom if pricing topped ut at 49.99. Think of all the gamers you would get who can afford the 50.00 title but not the 60.00 one. Practically they could afford 1 extra game for every 5 they bought using todays pricings as a model.
Basically I now what goes into "simple" (not these huge games) and I know how little a programmer/tester gets from it. woul;d just like to see the games reflect less profit.

specularblinky
05-21-2012, 09:58 AM
isnt the cheap disk one of the only things u actually do buy?

OceanH
05-21-2012, 12:39 PM
You're missing the point. 59.99 and up are extreme prices for the materials and the data on the disks. Think about making the game... 90% of the models are reused throughout the series' (people, movement, guns, etc), so not much NEW data is actually implememted. Most fo the time and r/d goes into story, gameplay and re-rendering of characters. The first title of a series has all new stuff, the follow ups are basically the same old stuff.. with a new coat of paint. The gaming industery would boom if pricing topped ut at 49.99. Think of all the gamers you would get who can afford the 50.00 title but not the 60.00 one. Practically they could afford 1 extra game for every 5 they bought using todays pricings as a model.
Basically I now what goes into "simple" (not these huge games) and I know how little a programmer/tester gets from it. woul;d just like to see the games reflect less profit.

Are you a communist?

xTGMx INF3RNO
05-21-2012, 01:18 PM
isnt the cheap disk one of the only things u actually do buy?

Yeah its like 50p for the disk 30 for the rights then tax. i think

Barad
05-21-2012, 02:54 PM
What game doesn't have online passes anymore..meh I don't mind much anyway games like this I would always buy new so it's okay.

MR MOO 69
05-21-2012, 03:47 PM
not everyone can afford to buy games new, so i was planing to rent this, online passes piss me off :mad:

bLaKgRaVy
05-21-2012, 04:30 PM
I work at a gaming store and I will will go on record saying the online pass thing is ridiculous!!!!! Fist off gouging 59.99+ for a $0.70 disk and th info on it is absurd. Gaming companies can make profit on them at 39.99. They just choose not to. We pay for LIVE for the service to play online as well. Some players are not to fault that they can not simply AFFORD to throw out 59.99+ for some titles. Even when they buy a second hand title and then the online pass, they're still up around that ammount.
A fair compromise would be to absorb the costs of ALL online passes into LIVE subscriptions. If LIVE raised 1.00-2.00 a month and then paid out a percentage to these game companies, it think that would be fair. If a game requires and online pass, I'll usually use the 24-48 hr temp pass then not play online anymore, regardless of cheeves or gameplay. I just usually pass my online code to some hot chick that buys the game used later on....LOL

It's called capitalism. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer. I'm not saying it's right, but that's how the world as we know it works. Get used to it.

Yeah, but you're forgetting that it costs millions of dollars to develop a game (payroll and actual development time), then the cost to manufacture the materials, then advertising, etc. You're not talking $100k here, you're talking tens of millions of dollars, especially for a well known brand like Tom Clancy. Even if they "reused" models from a previous game, it's still a matter of developing the tools and actually creating and programming the level of detail. The last Ghost Recon game was in 2007, 5 years ago. You think that they really kept anything from 5 years ago? This isn't Infinity Ward/Treyarch. If they did keep anything, they only kept the basics and everything else was built from the ground up. Don't tell me that "not much NEW data is actually implememted". You don't know what they did in-house. That's a cheap thing to say when you didn't have anything to do with the development of a game.

Who's to say that this game wasn't built 100% from the ground up? Why do you think it took them 5 years to develop a new one? If by what you're saying "90% of the models are reused throughout the series' (people, movement, guns, etc)", why not take the easy route like IW/Treyarch and pump them out on a yearly basis? You think the new Rainbow Six is going to be using the Vegas engine and models? I think not. Splinter Cell Conviction was a totally new engine from Double Agent. And they changed it mid-way through development, much like they changed Ghost Recon. This isn't the same game that was being developed a year and a half ago.

Source: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Hands-On Preview (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-10656-Ghost-Recon--Future-Soldier-Hands-On-Preview---Ghostbusters-.html)

You also forget that you're paying Microsoft for the use of Live, not individual game developers. I admit, Live is expensive and they should really have 3 tiers instead of 2 (Silver [free], Gold [Silver plus playing online] and Platinum [Gold plus all that extra shit like apps and videos and, well, shit, that only 20% of Gold subscribers use]), but why should they take a hit for something they really didn't have any part in developing or publishing? For games published by them (Gears, Halo), yeah, the online pass should come out of their pocket, but those games don't have an online pass, so that point is moot.

I don't like the online pass either, and I think other ways could be found to get the developer money on second hand games than gouging the consumer. It seems that the consumer always gets shafted one way or another. Find a way for the devs to get a percentage of all used sales, much like in the entertainment industry when a show is in syndication, the actors and such still get royalties.

I buy a lot of used games, but I either A) don't buy it if it has an online pass required to get achievements, or B) if it doesn't have to be bought to unlock achievements but still play online, I just don't play online.

Bitching about it obviously isn't going to help.

Andii
05-21-2012, 05:21 PM
I HATE online passes...ugh

I hate them too. Games are expensive, and there are two of us here in the house that love the same kind of games. We usually take it in turns to buy the next new game, but one of us is always ripped off then with the whole online pass thing as only one of us can play online then. I ain't paying any extra.

Also... why the fuck am I paying for Xbox Live Gold if I still need a fucking online pass to play games? It's ridiculous. Sorry, but it is.

SlySi1976
05-21-2012, 05:44 PM
What game doesn't have online passes anymore..meh I don't mind much anyway games like this I would always buy new so it's okay.

A very recent game called max payne 3 doesn't require an online pass...

NeedToAchieve
05-21-2012, 06:13 PM
I agree that online passes should be abolished as like it has been said before that why we pay for gold. But the buy an online pass then for the servers to be closed thats another kettle of fish altogether