PDA

View Full Version : Feel bad about Harvesting Little Sisters?

robertfee
08-29-2007, 06:18 PM
i don't think anyone else has mentioned this, but did anyone else feel really bad when harvesting the little sisters. i know it's just a game, but dude, i seriously felt bad the first time i rescued one and she was all like 'thank you for saving me...thank you'
i totally felt like crap...

Fire Mage
08-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Nope I don't feel bad.

I saved them all the first time through. The second time through I don't count as a real playthrough because I'm not caring that much. Therefore I don't care. Haha. :woop:

codedigital
08-29-2007, 06:34 PM
I don't feel bad at all...since I'm harvesting them all I haven't heard their "thank you".

The Pants Party
08-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Bunch of soulless bastards around here! I think that's the point of having the choice, you're supposed to do the right thing... hence the achievement. :)

Dave
08-29-2007, 10:30 PM
even if they're wasnt an ahevement for saving them i would feel bad if i harvested them, even though its a game they deserve a chance

killerharu45
08-29-2007, 11:09 PM
i felt bad when i did it. when i first did it i didnt feel bad really. a little but not really. But then in Tenabaums place all of theyre lines made me feel bad. Such as "Hes mean." "Hes the one who hurts us" "Dont trust him" It doesnt feel good

tarheeltay
08-30-2007, 07:46 AM
I have to say, i went through the game twice, i have 1000 GS, and i have only harvested one girl, because i felt bad. I know it's a game, but you don't get that much more Adam for saving them (if you take into account the rewards), and i didn't think it was worth it.
I'm too nice.

robertfee
08-30-2007, 01:25 PM
i know right. when they were all in the room and saying "he's bad" i was like "no! i only harvested one! and she was probably a jerk anyways!"
i immediately played it through again and saved them all. much better ending too!

Galaxy Spear
08-30-2007, 01:44 PM
I felt terrible about it, i actually sent a voice message to my mate asking what i should do. I harvested my first little sister :(

k_dog
08-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Ironicly enough, this is what the developers intended to happen. They wanted the gamer to actually feel a moral dillema when given the choice.

The original concept for the "Gatherer" was a slug and evolved to a monkey, dog, dog in a wheelchair, crabs and all other sorts of animals. But essentially, nobody felt sympathy for these creatures and they came up with the idea of the little sister.

AnimeCommander
08-30-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm saving all of them at the moment. I feel a little bad contemplating harvesting them for the second playthrough. I'm feeling bad enough with their "get up Mr Bubbles".

russell1190
08-30-2007, 02:22 PM
I dont feel sorry at all i mean it is just a game. Anyways i just rescue them all anyway

sln333
08-30-2007, 02:26 PM
Yeah, when I see them go over to a protector and look at it talking about Mr. Bubbles it makes me want to save them. I'm rescuing them all this time.

chenry
08-30-2007, 04:08 PM
I saved them all on my first run through, and I'm harvesting them on the second run. I felt bad harvesting them the first few times, but after seeing all the Adam i get for it, I became drunk with power!

Fruhmann360
09-02-2007, 09:18 PM
I always go evil, dark, sith, etc.

so i harvested. and it was cool having all that adam.

but then i fell through the vent into tenenbaums place...man i felt like crap. i felt like a monsters. "who's that?" "he's the man who hurts us. mama tenenbaum said stay away from him."

my stomach dropped. hahahaha

Marx0r
09-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Given that, when you harvest them, you're doing a fictional action to a fictional character in a fictional land, no, I don't feel bad.

XxCRAZYSNIP3RxX
09-03-2007, 01:37 AM
I felt pretty bad too....and u know a game is great when u can feel emotion like that

Brighton X
09-03-2007, 03:19 AM
I knew I'd feel bad so I'm rescuing them all. Anyway Gamerscore is better than Adam.

TimmayTheTurtle
09-03-2007, 03:20 AM
dude feel bad for a video game character?

vicko
09-03-2007, 07:57 PM
I am on my first play through and have saved them so far, the plan was to harvest on the second run through, I just can not do it, maybe turning the sound down will help,lol
great game.

fallingeastward
09-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Only once did I feel bad. After I killed the Big Daddy the LS said "Mr. Bubbles get up!" and then I went and killed her. Oh well.

Ghost x360a
09-03-2007, 10:59 PM
I havent harvested one yet because i'm going for the savior achievement, but is it really that bad? What does he do when he harvests them?

TheNeXt6
09-03-2007, 11:48 PM
I havent harvested one yet because i'm going for the savior achievement, but is it really that bad? What does he do when he harvests them?

Well she struggles, then some green smoke fills up the screen and it goes black, next thing you know you're holding up a slug with all the adam in it. I didn't feel bad until when Tennabaum and the Little sisters save you and you wake up and their all in this little hideout, that's when I felt bad for harvesting them so I started to save the rest of them.

L3giOn
09-04-2007, 02:33 AM
I saved them all. If there was an achievement for harvesting them, I would have never gotten it. I know it's just a game but I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it anyways.

Brighton X
09-04-2007, 02:50 AM
I saved them all. If there was an achievement for harvesting them, I would have never gotten it. I know it's just a game but I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it anyways.

Amen to that. I can't even think of killing a fictional little girl who fits in your hand.

ChumbaWumba91
09-04-2007, 09:05 PM
If they make an extension, one achievement should be called 'Sick Bastard' for harvesting all little sisters.

but yes i felt sorry but then tried to find something funny to laugh at during the scene, the slugs kinda funny....

Siberian
09-04-2007, 10:13 PM
I feel bad harvesting them... because that means I missed out on that one achievement.

But seriously, no. I only saved the first one and harvested all the rest so I could get enough ADAM to upgrade my stuff. I'm not one to really have emotional tie-ins to games that don't have a really compelling storyline.

Pukgandi
09-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Well before I did it I thought id feel bad. But thats because I thought he was going to like wrench the poor girl. But the way that he does it doesn't seem like a very heartbreaking thing.

drno
09-05-2007, 05:19 AM
They don't seem like the nicest bunch of girls themselves, I really wanna know why I hold a slug thing in my hand when I harvest them though.
Also don't they resist when you try to rescue them? Clearly they don't want anythingg to do with you. And how long would a little girl last in rapture without protection? May as well kill them now, I suppose that would be the ethical thing to do...

AnimeCommander
09-05-2007, 10:42 AM
When you harvest them you are ripping the slug from them to get the Adam from it thus you do away with the girl part and keep the slug. And they resist you because they are used to people hunting them down and just killing them. All they know is that you just killed Mr Bubbles to get to them. When you save them, they do thank you and seem quite glad. You barely get more Adam for harvesting them - about 40 or so. You just get it quicker. You sickos. :p

Mirksta
09-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I rescued them all on my first play through, and now I'm nearly on my first one on hard I'm wondering whether I should rescue them again or harvest them. You get 80 adam per girl when you rescue and 200 in the gift every 3 or so, so do you actually end up with more adam by rescuing them or is harvesting more

naptownsteeler
09-05-2007, 04:35 PM
I played trough the first time and saved and on the second time I harvested. the story is different by the way. Both ways give you the atom you need to finish the game although harvesting you do not get the tonics for free you have to buy them.

robertfee
09-07-2007, 05:33 PM
i'm glad there are more people that feel bad about harvesting them other than me. good to know!

Rocket
09-07-2007, 05:49 PM
I have yet to harvest...I think that I would feel bad though...that is until my second play through...I have a feeling I'm not going to get all the achievements on the first run, not to mention that I'm playing it on Easy to try and get everything....but come that second go round...I'm gonna Harvest at least one...just to see what it is like...

narcolepticshee
09-07-2007, 06:07 PM
I knew I'd feel bad so I'm rescuing them all. Anyway Gamerscore is better than Adam.

Haha - too true, too true.

have played through once and rescued them all and haven't got round to playing it again. Want to see the alternate ending.

Peace

narcolepticshee
09-07-2007, 06:14 PM
I rescued them all on my first play through, and now I'm nearly on my first one on hard I'm wondering whether I should rescue them again or harvest them. You get 80 adam per girl when you rescue and 200 in the gift every 3 or so, so do you actually end up with more adam by rescuing them or is harvesting more

Saved: 3 x 80 (for three little sisters)
+
200 (gift for saving)
= 440 ADAM

Harvest: 3 x 160 (for three little sisters
= 480 ADAM

Better to save them

Why?

Because you only get 40 less ADAM yet, you get gifts aswell

Peace

The Mars Army
09-09-2007, 09:28 PM
I didn't feel bad until when Tennabaum and the Little sisters save you and you wake up and their all in this little hideout, that's when I felt bad for harvesting them so I started to save the rest of them.

Same here.

Timpysan73
09-12-2007, 12:16 PM
I saved them all on my first play through and then harvested them the second, so I could see the other ending. I definitely felt bad. But then again, I couldn't bring myself to be evil in KOTOR either.

Tom19
09-12-2007, 01:27 PM
haha I dont havent harvested any in a long time now. I was going for the all the tonics so I needed to save them all. But no I dont feel bad for harvesting them.

Stu BeDoo
09-13-2007, 02:30 AM
haha yeah I do actually. The first little sister I found my friend was watching me play and he was like just be a dick and harvest her. But if I have 500 dollars then I will harvest them.

PerfectAnt
09-13-2007, 03:39 PM
+
200 (gift for saving)
= 440 ADAM

= 480 ADAM

Better to save them

Why?

Peace

because you get tonices that are unavailable in the game anywhere else.

Screaming Flower
09-28-2007, 08:16 PM
First run through Bioshock I sat and watched my brother play (it's his xbox) he harvested the first lil ister and then saved all the rest. When i got round to playing it I said I would harvest them all - but I couldn't do it and I saved the lot of them. Now I'm half way thru my second go and I'm harvesting the lot of them - MWAHAHAHA!:p

Steelhead
09-28-2007, 08:20 PM
First run through Bioshock I sat and watched my brother play (it's his xbox) he harvested the first lil ister and then saved all the rest. When i got round to playing it I said I would harvest them all - but I couldn't do it and I saved the lot of them. Now I'm half way thru my second go and I'm harvesting the lot of them - MWAHAHAHA!:p
I rescued them all the first time, then started harvesting. It didn't bother me. It's just a game and they aren't really "human" in the game anyway.

Sasori
09-30-2007, 04:06 PM
As explained above, you get more Adam in the long run if you save them and you also get a nice 100 points, so it`s more then worth it. But would I feel bad if I harvest a little sister? Of course not. It is still a game after all

MrEastSide
09-30-2007, 07:44 PM
+
200 (gift for saving)
= 440 ADAM

= 480 ADAM

Better to save them

Why?

Peace

I did the math when I first started just to see which was the better idea and I am kind of disappointed they didn't make it more enticing to harvest them. It's way more worth it to save them. They should have given a higher amount of Adam for each little sister if you harvest them. That would have tempted people far more.

XQXM
10-09-2007, 08:02 AM
I would say I don't feel sad when I harvest them :p ;
But I do feel delight when I hear they say "Thank You" after being save.... :Angel

aswipe21
10-11-2007, 04:29 AM
Hell I don't feel sorry for them. I mean their big daddy is kicking my ass all over the place. The only revenge is to harvest them.

xGodDogx
10-11-2007, 06:57 PM
I guess... I was kind of sory for them once id harvested the rest of the little sisters. But i couldnt go back and rescue them i guess ill have to do it the second time around.

Spades12321
10-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Its more benifical to rescue them, you get a little less ADAM but the gifts provide very useful tonics. I only harvested 1 little sister to see what it looked like and to answer your question I didnt fell that bad about it.

Blkmag1k
10-14-2007, 05:57 PM
I had rescued all the little sisters the first time just to get the achievement. But I had an itching to harvest every last single one of them :)

supermario6582
11-03-2007, 05:04 AM
i'm rescuing them right now and when i play the game again i'll harvest them.

II M0n3ySh0T II
11-05-2007, 01:06 AM
I have not even met one little sister except the first one after climbing the rafters. Could anyone tell me when you meet your first little sister/ big daddy?:)And is there any chance i could just run through and eventually find the little sisters or do i have to look for all of them?

NEO CRIMS0N
11-06-2007, 09:09 AM
I guess this all comes down to what you think is best in the big picture...I mean, If you have to think about it like that, you yourself are in a lot of danger so if you had the means to save yourself would you take it...or risk it?

lordvader308
11-12-2007, 10:54 AM
OMG! Wimps...

Seriously, if you knew about the harvesting and the saving, and what happened when you harvested the ADAM, would you have even bought the game?

Aswel, it's a game. It's fictional. Therefore its not actually happening so theres no need to feel bad.

Yeah, i'm saving them, but thats only to get the achievement. And personally, i don't have a problem with killing little girls [in game] to get the ADAM.

lordvader308
11-12-2007, 11:01 AM
I have not even met one little sister except the first one after climbing the rafters. Could anyone tell me when you meet your first little sister/ big daddy?:)And is there any chance i could just run through and eventually find the little sisters or do i have to look for all of them?

Your first litttle sister is not that far off, but still a while.. In reply to the running through idea, if you do, you will NOT get all the LS's. They come to the bodies that you have killed and try to harvest the ADAM. You will see them around, but if you want to get them all, you will have to look around for them. There's an indicator of how many left in the level on the pause screen/menu.

:uzi::Bounce:

Evarist0 X
11-14-2007, 03:58 AM
Shame on the people who harvest the little sisters xD I've never harvested one. Everytime that im going to do it I forget and I just rescue them. Mr. Bubbles is the best thing about Bioshock lol xD

enter course
11-18-2007, 12:02 PM
It's so stupid to say "dude how can you feel bad it's just a video game." If you can say that and mean it 100%, then that means you have never watched a movie and felt excited when the bad guy dies or sad/upset when a good guy dies. It means you have never read a book that invoked your emotions. Hell, it even means you have never watched a TV show and laughed when something funny happened. If that is true for you then you are possibly the only truly apathetic person in the world and your opinion on feeling emotions during a video game is null and void.

rx32degrepber
11-18-2007, 06:29 PM
nope really didnt feel that bad bc im saving all of them the first time playing through and then ill play it again to harvest all of them just to get the achievements for them

XSSDX HEADSHOT
11-18-2007, 08:54 PM
lol no not really do what you gotta do

HurricaNe2k9
11-20-2007, 03:28 AM
When I play through again I'll save them all, but the first little sister I harvested. I cackled maniacally as well.

Killing my companion cube in Portal gave me more remorse.

Tenacious C DSM
11-22-2007, 10:39 AM
They don't seem like the nicest bunch of girls themselves, I really wanna know why I hold a slug thing in my hand when I harvest them though.
Also don't they resist when you try to rescue them? Clearly they don't want anythingg to do with you. And how long would a little girl last in rapture without protection? May as well kill them now, I suppose that would be the ethical thing to do...

The reason there is a slug in them is that, correct me if im wrong, Tennebaum discovered that the sea slug had the ability to somehow gather adam by being implanted in a host. The slug is implanted in the little sisters which im certain is what contributes to their appearence. I think that combined with some mind control is what makes them little sisters, meaning thats what makes them go around mutilating corpses to collect adam. The adam is therefore mainly contained in the slug, so you get more adam by harvesting the little sister as you get the slug out intacted to take the adam from, hence holding a slug when you harvest. however you get less adam when saving as the slug is removed but destroyed in removal meaning less adam is aquired.

this is what ive gathered from the story and audio diaries from memory so i apologise if some parts are not 100% accurate but im fairly certain that is an accurate description as to the reason behind the slug thing

KingGotenW
11-25-2007, 01:49 AM
wow what a bunch of heartless people you guys are...

i've never harvested a lil sister and i probably never will becuz i would probably feel terrible.

L4mbo93
11-25-2007, 01:55 AM
ima rescue all the little sisters:woop:

wen i finaly get the game:(

BrenteusMaximus
11-27-2007, 03:24 AM
When I play through again I'll save them all, but the first little sister I harvested. I cackled maniacally as well.

Killing my companion cube in Portal gave me more remorse.

Hahaha I loved the companion cube... with the cute little hearts. I felt so bad roasting it after it helped me out so much lol.

As for little sisters, I'm on my first play through and i'm saving them all for the achievement, but on my second play through i'll harvest them just to see what the difference is. Though it is fiction, I agree with the people who say it's still moving in much the same way as watching a movie or reading a book and empathizing with the action there. Games like bioshock are just a different means of telling a story, just like a movie or book is, and the fact that it can create such strong emotional reactions is a testament to the excellent writing of the game's storyline. I just finished up in Neptune's Bounty and the whole subplot in the level with the diary entry of the parents looking for their missing daughter, who they suspect is a LS, is pretty sad. The game definitely incorporates some excellent storytelling elements into an action-packed adventure (wow does that sound like an internet game review or what? lol).

Echoes248
12-06-2007, 09:42 AM
yea il admit i felt kinda bad...it was the very first one i got and i harvested it heh that was the last time...i then learned there was an achievement for saving them so i started a new game and saved them all...ive only played though once...but on my next play through im dropping my morals and harvesting them all:grab :biglaugh

Meakio
12-08-2007, 09:40 PM
I didn't feel any remorse for harvesting them, especially when I see how much ADAM you get... MWHAHAHAHAHA

kiwi18
12-09-2007, 04:52 AM
its a game. seriously odnt sweat itts a video game

kiwi18
12-09-2007, 04:53 AM
its a freakin game

Thunderhorse39
12-12-2007, 11:23 PM
the first run I harvested them all and didn't really care but the second run I saved them all and still really didn't care but I like saving them better

Daftmouse
12-15-2007, 01:55 PM
I feel no remorse when I harvest them but I usually rescue anyway due the the tonics.

Deano The Dino
12-16-2007, 04:02 AM
I dont feel bad about harvesting em because they're ugly as all hell so I look away. Little bastards make me wanna puke.