PDA

View Full Version : disipline points

murderousknight
05-27-2012, 04:18 AM
Any tricks to level vocations but not your actual level?

Darth Cuda
05-27-2012, 06:49 AM
Any tricks to level vocations but not your actual level?

Say what???

murderousknight
05-27-2012, 07:12 AM
Any ways to level your job aka getting discipline points without getting too much experience and raising in levels

BloodGodAlucard
05-27-2012, 08:39 AM
Not that I know of. But why would you even want to do that?

murderousknight
05-27-2012, 08:52 AM
Well I want to get vocation to 9 for the augments before I pick a main class

EnteringtheCosmos
05-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Well I want to get vocation to 9 for the augments before I pick a main class
But why don't you want to level up?

LordDVS
05-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Trying to Twink in a solo-RPG?

Taiyz
05-27-2012, 10:29 PM
For those who don't get why he wants to do this, here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/62835694/701975529

Every time you level up, based on your vocation, you get a fixed increase in each statistic. Once you reach level 10, and then level 100, those increments change, and you can only change vocations once you reach level 10.

Basically, if you want the best stats for a given class, you're going to want to play your basic vocation until level 10, then change into the advanced or hybrid vocation that you want so you can reap 90 levels of the best stat growth.

The thing is, like myself, murderousknight wants to unlock as many Augments for his basic vocation as possible before changing vocations, and you need to reach certain vocation levels to do that. Therefore, he wants to keep his actual level low, and his vocation level high, so he can pick up a bunch of great Augments while getting the better stat benefits of another vocation.

Unfortunately murderousknight, I don't know what to tell you. I don't think people have confirmed yet what actually causes vocation levels to increase; some people claim that quests don't provide EXP for them, some people do.

Most people seem to agree that vocation levels are based on discipline, rather than experience, and discipline is apparently only gained from killing enemies. I assume this means that you have to be the one to land the killing blow. People also say that completing quests gives you discipline.

You may gain discipline/experience from each attack on an enemy or from points of damage dealt, and vocation levels could very well be tied to experience in some way, nobody has a sure answer.

I think there is some sort of EXP multiplier for landing the killing blow, though, because when I got my main pawn they were like 6 levels below me, and now they're one level above me (and one vocation level higher.)

Also, I thought of this plan myself: playing my basic vocation until all augments are unlocked, changing vocations, then only changing back to the basic vocation when I have enough discipline for a new augment, then changing back to my advanced/hybrid vocation...

But apparently it costs discipline to change vocations each time; 1000 to Basic/Advanced vocations, and 1500 to Hybrid vocations.

Honestly, what I ended up deciding to do, and this isn't perfect but analyzing this stat growth stuff further is going to drive me crazy, is,

I'm simply going to play my basic vocation until I unlock all the Augments, then change to my advanced/hybrid vocation for good. Ultimately I don't think that min/maxing will be THAT beneficial at the end of the day, but I don't look down on you for trying to do it. Good luck.

murderousknight
05-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Yeah you get what I wanted LOL I decided to just level each vocation to nine then switch to the next and so on and so forth and leveling my main...probably mystic Knight....last because your right Max stats doesn't seem needed anytime soon so

Taiyz
05-28-2012, 01:55 AM
Two things I'll note,

first is a correction: any vocation you unlock is unlocked for good and can be changed at any time for free, although only at the inn in Gran Soren.
So yeah, if you want, you could switch to an advanced vocation for leveling, but switch back to your basic vocation just to buy some augments (vocation level permitting) when you have enough discipline, then immediately switch back.

Second is the fact that you can't give your pawn a hybrid vocation. This ruined my plan completely because I wanted my pawn to be a Mystic Knight. =/

Zim
05-28-2012, 06:18 PM
I still don't really see the issue. Stat gains come from levelling up. Vocation levels are not dependent on your xp levelling up. The game precisely tracks your xp and how long to level up. If you really want to min/max for a certain class then why not just the class you want vocation level gains in until you are within a few hundred xp of a level up. Change back to the class you want the stat gains in. Get a few kills and level up thus getting your stat gains. Then change back to the thing you want to gain vocation levels in.

Azrael008uk
05-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Just so you know you can change Vocation at any point.

Then just go and change back for free.

It costs you nothing once you've bought it the first time round.

Az