PDA

View Full Version : Main character never talks (SPOILERS)

DFILL450
08-29-2007, 08:21 PM
I think that its a bit strange that the main character you play as doesnt talk. The only time he talks is in the beginning scene which is weird. Does anyone have a theory on why he doesnt talk...i think it mite be because he was hypnotized by Atlas the entire time of the game..idk

The Pants Party
08-29-2007, 08:41 PM
He doesn't talk in the beginning scene, that was Andrew Ryan. There are tons of games where the main guy doesn't talk. Mostly RPGs, but yeah,

DFILL450
08-29-2007, 09:15 PM
He doesn't talk in the beginning scene, that was Andrew Ryan. There are tons of games where the main guy doesn't talk. Mostly RPGs, but yeah.

but i thought that was him talkin in the plane..wen he says i was meant to be someone..why wud andrew ryan say that

Sgt Hobo
08-30-2007, 01:36 AM
but i thought that was him talkin in the plane..wen he says i was meant to be someone..why wud andrew ryan say that

It could be the main character's voice reflecting on the beginning from the ending cutscene, because it makes no sense for Andrew Ryan to be talking about the protagonist.

Zef
08-30-2007, 01:43 AM
He does speak during the plane bit. Something along the lines of:

"They said I was someone special...they were right"

Other than that he doesn't say anything, but does make some girly sounds =P

The Pants Party
08-30-2007, 02:58 AM
You know what, I was thinking of the part before the main menu comes up. Ryan makes a short statement there. Sorry about that.

K00PA TR00PA
08-30-2007, 05:29 AM
Anyone else feel that the main chacracter is short? I felt like i went around playing the game crouched all the time.

DeW222
08-30-2007, 06:13 AM
Anyone else feel that the main chacracter is short? I felt like i went around playing the game crouched all the time.

Maybe you did play through the whole game crouched? ;)

I don't really mind the main character not talking. Kind of conditioned to it by now after other shooters. I'm trying to think of when the main character talks in DOOM and F.E.A.R. and can't think of anything. Although, I played both years ago so that would definitely play a part in it.

Aussiegore
08-30-2007, 07:15 AM
Ye he talks at the start. I think it was good that he doesn't talk cause we are all are the main character, so him not talking involves us more.

tarheeltay
08-30-2007, 07:57 AM
Yeah, i wouldn't want myself saying something dumb for me. Or something...

Galaxy Spear
08-30-2007, 01:49 PM
It annoys me that the main character dont talk, its like the NFS games, razor and co from Most Wanted take the piss and i just have to sit there and take it. None the less though i think its only a minor problem and the game still rocks!

k_dog
08-30-2007, 01:57 PM
As I recall, Mario has yet so say any SOLID sentences any any of his games as well and we still love him for his useless babble.

My theory on our protagonist's lack of words points back to Fontaines mental control over him. "Would you kindly, f'n SAY SOMETHING!!!"

sln333
08-30-2007, 02:35 PM
While I like games where your character talks so you see what the person you are controlling is like, if there is a game where the main person is mute and it is done as well as this then I have no problem. It sort of lets you see what the world is like through your own eyes instead of somebody else's. In this case it's like Grand Theft Auto III.

Yann
08-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I would of perfered it if he talked a bit more

Dr.Tenenbaum: "Save the little sisters!!!"
Jack : "Stfu bitch" *pimp slap*

russell1190
08-30-2007, 03:18 PM
I actually enjoyed him not talking because then he doesn't say the same stupid things over and over. The only sound he makes is when you fall.

k_dog
08-30-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm also now pondering the indirect view that the developer intended. What if they intended for one to interpret one's own views through the eyes of the protagonist?

This would make sence, as it is what most of us are doing from the start.

Think about it, almost right away, we're given an antagonist and we start making views of him based on his words and what we hear and see. On the other hand, we have this medium entity (Atlas) that is barking orders and fillling our head with jargon and pretty soon we end up in moral dillema's of where we have to make a decision that will effect the outcome of the rest of the game.

If you ask me, the main character talks alot, he talks every time the player says something to the TV when he has an opinion.

Woah_Mullet
08-30-2007, 04:10 PM

I am with you on this. There was a couple of times I actually had to push the crouch button to make sure I wasn't just walking around like that the entire time. I just couldn't be too careful! ;)

Flak
12-07-2008, 08:54 PM
So instead of starting a new topic I'll revitalize this one. I'm pretty sure Jack (main character) does have a few phrases after the initial plane crash. The first time I noticed it, one of the spider splicers was going on about how God sees all and is judging him, and he says something like 'Yeah right.' Little wordier than that but basically what he said. I heard it and it kinda freaked me out because I never heard him speak on my first playthrough.

What convinced me though was just now, another spider splicer was talking about God judging all he sees, and Jack said 'We'll see about that.' If you don't believe me, sit around with natural camo on and wait for a spider splicer to start speaking and eventually Jack will talk for you.