PDA

View Full Version : Okay, F this games save system!

TheLegendOf1977
06-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Ok, i'll try to relax before i write some things i might not want to but F#*$ the save system! I'm a RPG addict and know to save often blablabla, but what if the game screwes you sideways by making THEIR autosave overwriting YOUR normal save!!!
I've spend close to 30 hours without trouble and then this happens: I'm persuing the griffin (who fled to the blue tower) and spend at least 5 hours getting there, exploring every nook and cranny, killing my first gollom and destroying dozens of harpies and bandits.
Finally i get to the tower and the part where you get chased, i look back: no pawns, so they must be in front of me right? WRONG! I go up the stairs to face the griffin to find NONE of my pawns!! Apparently ALL of them died on the bridge!
I quit without saving, reload and guess what? IT STARTS ME RIGHT AFTER I LOSE ALL MY PAWNS!! Aaaaaaaargh!!! So i do reload last checkpoint and it starts me BEFORE my 5+ hour hike!
I'm done with this game for a while stress is to great over this...

BloodGodAlucard
06-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Ok, i'll try to relax before i write some things i might not want to but F#*$ the save system! I'm a RPG addict and know to save often blablabla, but what if the game screwes you sideways by making THEIR autosave overwriting YOUR normal save!!!
I've spend close to 30 hours without trouble and then this happens: I'm persuing the griffin (who fled to the blue tower) and spend at least 5 hours getting there, exploring every nook and cranny, killing my first gollom and destroying dozens of harpies and bandits.
Finally i get to the tower and the part where you get chased, i look back: no pawns, so they must be in front of me right? WRONG! I go up the stairs to face the griffin to find NONE of my pawns!! Apparently ALL of them died on the bridge!
I quit without saving, reload and guess what? IT STARTS ME RIGHT AFTER I LOSE ALL MY PAWNS!! Aaaaaaaargh!!! So i do reload last checkpoint and it starts me BEFORE my 5+ hour hike!
I'm done with this game for a while stress is to great over this...

What do you mean by you lost your pawns? If they're dead just go to the Rift and rehire them. If they glitched into oblivion or something like that then the same solution will still work.

Look at the bright side. At least your save didn't get corrupted. I read another guy's thread on Gamespot that had this happen to him. He lost 50+ hours of gameplay and had to start from scratch. That's terrible and he has my greatest sympathy.

Fallen0
06-02-2012, 07:41 PM
I agree the save system is pretty bad i also had the same problem in that area all my pawns thought it would be fun to do some free fall stair diving then when i got them back they all died on the bridge i managed to kill the griffin alone only just and it took me 3 tries it also cost be all my curatives i believe i ended the fight with around 100hp left.

I don't know if this will work but there is a rift stone just outside the gate to the area you could try running down the stairs and going out the exit on the other side if it will let you out the door during the griffin fight or you could see if you can use a ferry stone if you have one not sure if you can during battle though never tried you have my sympathy if you have lost 5 hours i have had it happen many a time in plenty of games and it is very annoying to say the least.

TheLegendOf1977
06-02-2012, 07:44 PM
But thats just it: I'm at the griffin's nest, with 112 healt, no curatives, no ferrystone and no pawns... I'm pretty confident most times but something tells me im not gonna be able to kill it.

And about the corrupt savefile? Damn that creeps me out, i'd go banana's!

TheLegendOf1977
06-02-2012, 07:49 PM
I agree the save system is pretty bad i also had the same problem in that area all my pawns thought it would be fun to do some free fall stair diving then when i got them back they all died on the bridge i managed to kill the griffin alone only just and it took me 3 tries it also cost be all my curatives i believe i ended the fight with around 100hp left.

I don't know if this will work but there is a rift stone just outside the gate to the area you could try running down the stairs and going out the exit on the other side if it will let you out the door during the griffin fight or you could see if you can use a ferry stone if you have one not sure if you can during battle though never tried you have my sympathy if you have lost 5 hours i have had it happen many a time in plenty of games and it is very annoying to say the least.

Thanx, ill try it next time (next week or something) going back is no option, seeing as the savefile is overwritten once you restart the last checkpoint :mad:

The Destroyernatorer
06-02-2012, 07:50 PM
It's annoying sometimes, for sure, but it's intentional.

It adds a sense of genuine threat and loss with each journey away from an inn.

For that reason I like it, even if I am usually a compulsive saver (over 1200 saves in 110 hours with Skyrim!) although yes, it can be bloody frustrating.

BloodGodAlucard
06-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Wow I'm sorry man. I didn't know your were in such a situation with healing items and no ferrystones. That does complicate things. You could try to kill it solo. What level and class are you? If you're a Sorcerer and have High Bolide (Meteor Spell) you might be able to kill it without issue. It never hurts to try at least.

I know how you feel. I too have a tendency to go on massive exploration trips like that for hours at a time. I guess I usually just luck out by finding enough items to make it back safely. It's a good rule of thumb to always carry about 10 ferrystones with you whenever you go on a long trip like that.

Good luck I wish you the best.

TheLegendOf1977
06-02-2012, 08:02 PM
It's a good rule of thumb to always carry about 10 ferrystones with you whenever you go on a long trip like that.

NOW he tells me, haha! I know its a bit my of my own fault also... Was the same with Dark souls, that game was also kicking my ass the first 5 or 6 hours. But then (just like Dragon's dogma) something "klicks" and the mechanics of the game open up to me.
So yeah, hadn't had any trouble with dying (at least not a lot or from overpowered enemies) for over 20 hours. Guess i got overconfident...

EnteringtheCosmos
06-02-2012, 08:07 PM
wrong thread...edit.

Akatsuki Sensor
06-02-2012, 08:12 PM
wrong thread...edit.

Referring to the golem's not waking up, I think you need to progress in the main storyline or something, I have the same problem. I was exploring Witchwood, I was climbing over a weird rock when I suddenly realised that it was actually a golem.

EDIT - Looked a bit out of place >_>

BloodGodAlucard
06-02-2012, 08:14 PM
NOW he tells me, haha! I know its a bit my of my own fault also... Was the same with Dark souls, that game was also kicking my ass the first 5 or 6 hours. But then (just like Dragon's dogma) something "klicks" and the mechanics of the game open up to me.
So yeah, hadn't had any trouble with dying (at least not a lot or from overpowered enemies) for over 20 hours. Guess i got overconfident...

True. You did better than I did with Dark Souls. I just couldn't get into that game at the time. So I quit it a few hours in. When that new DLC comes out for it later this year, I think I'll go back and give it another go. I have played and loved some games recently that people compare to Dark Souls. I don't personally see the correlation myself. Games like the Witcher 2 and this game. The only comparison I can really see is that they all have a high learning curve. Unlike Dark Souls though, I loved those 2 right off the bat and had no trouble getting into them. Hopefully looking at the game with a new perspective will help me enjoy it this time.

I did like the setting and the challenge. I just hated the core design that made you replay hours of gameplay every time you die. And the single save system was a pain in the ass. The single worst quality in that game though is without a doubt the complete and utter lack of a checkpoint system. And the fact the the XP and monetary system used the same currency. I thought that was a dumb choice on their part. I also found the lack of a deep story to be a huge negative.

Sorry to go off on a tangent about Dark Souls. :p You did open that door though. lol I guess the wounds are still a little raw. I just haven't quit a game this generation that wasn't complete shit. I can honestly see how good that game is. I want to love you Dark Souls, but you're a cruel bitch that makes it hard. (Reminds me of my ex.)

Azrael008uk
06-03-2012, 12:25 AM
I've just been there and I'm pretty sure there is a Rift Stone right the Fortress.

You will be able to re-hire pawns there and should be able to kill the Griffin.

Then you'll need to carefully make your way back to Gran Soren.

Good luck.

Let us know how you get on.

Az

Powerman1469
06-03-2012, 01:10 AM
There is a Rift stone right outside the Bluemoon tower entrance =D but... im sure you know that by now heh. Thats why i always have a USB stick, didn't do much for this game. But still can make back-ups in case something goes wrong

Quintonir
06-03-2012, 01:33 AM
It's annoying sometimes, for sure, but it's intentional.

Nooo it's not. This is Capcom we're talking about here. It was just a poor design choice. Although I also enjoy it, except when I forget to save in the wild and lose hours of trekking about, but I can't really blame the game for my absent-mindedness haha. I think if the system was more refined - checkpoints and manual saves in different slots, ability to manually load from pause menu etc. - then it would be enjoyable given the mechanics of the game. As it is however, it'll screw you over as many times as help you out! xD

TheLegendOf1977
06-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Now i feel stupid! So, i got the courage to hike back there again and got to the same part (where the griffin destroyes the walkway)
This time though my pesonal pawn made it through, but stil the others (died?) dont understand coss i made sure the were in FRONT of me when the sequence starts.
This time though i decided to try to take it on, and man was i mad!! If i'd had known what would happen next i wouldn't have had ANY trouble!
So about 30 seconds into the fight Steffen comes along (the guy you need to get the magic book for) He opens that baby up and whips up some godlike spells killing the griffin in under a minute!! I barely got in 10 shots myself!

The Destroyernatorer
06-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Nooo it's not. This is Capcom we're talking about here. It was just a poor design choice. Although I also enjoy it, except when I forget to save in the wild and lose hours of trekking about, but I can't really blame the game for my absent-mindedness haha. I think if the system was more refined - checkpoints and manual saves in different slots, ability to manually load from pause menu etc. - then it would be enjoyable given the mechanics of the game. As it is however, it'll screw you over as many times as help you out! xD

I think it is intentional as all the little loading screen messages emphasise things like preparing adequately for adventures and so on. I really thing they've took heavy inspiration from Dark/Demon Souls here.

Don't get me wrong, there are definite design flaws with this game and Capcom f*ck up all the time, but I do think this save system was intentional.

That said, yeah, they could have made it more user-friendly!

BloodGodAlucard
06-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Now i feel stupid! So, i got the courage to hike back there again and got to the same part (where the griffin destroyes the walkway)
This time though my pesonal pawn made it through, but stil the others (died?) dont understand coss i made sure the were in FRONT of me when the sequence starts.
This time though i decided to try to take it on, and man was i mad!! If i'd had known what would happen next i wouldn't have had ANY trouble!
So about 30 seconds into the fight Steffen comes along (the guy you need to get the magic book for) He opens that baby up and whips up some godlike spells killing the griffin in under a minute!! I barely got in 10 shots myself!

Congrats man, I'm glad it all worked out for you. I thought about posting that info about Steffen earlier to help you out. But I didn't want to spoil it for you. Hopefully you found the sequence to be an epic surprise. ;)

Vigor
06-03-2012, 09:31 PM
The save system doesn't bother me, it's the server that's pounding my aggravation sincerely!

TheLegendOf1977
06-03-2012, 09:45 PM
The save system doesn't bother me, it's the server that's pounding my aggravation sincerely!

You mean sleeping at the inn and praying to god nobody hired your pawn coss otherwize you'll have to sit there for 5 minutes while the game accesses the server?

Vigor
06-03-2012, 10:18 PM
You mean sleeping at the inn and praying to god nobody hired your pawn coss otherwize you'll have to sit there for 5 minutes while the game accesses the server?

I knew I wasn't alone!
That server must be located in Japan, in a mine, 3000 feet below sea level.

It also fails often to connect.

cheevo360
06-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Ewww!! Sorry to hear. I got USB so when I must having break for rest my eyes of course then I save game and quit main menu then go to dashboard and delete savegame in USB and re-copy from HDD again so I know I wouldn't having trouble with saves since I first found out save system in this game is ass-hole early last week.

I use main HDD for play games but I use USB for save every times I have rest for bits. :)

I hate like that i just wish Save Slots in this game. Capcom are surely weak on this game with awful shadow graphics, character animations, save system, no fast travels. God dear Capcom haven't enough time to fixes those when they in developing. Seem like this game is bit rush in developing or they want players getting mad or they just didn't realise what western action rpg is about.

I hope they patches everything those in this, if not then they must have those fixes in 2nd series before release it!!

This game is one of coolest action rpg but biggest disappointed with those stuffs are messy up. Lots of my friends enjoyed it but agreed with me and others is that got 100% messy and missing RPG elements in this game. :)

My believe Capcom will learns their big mistakes on this for next series. :)

Asphodel Nyx
06-04-2012, 01:48 PM
I knew I wasn't alone!
That server must be located in Japan, in a mine, 3000 feet below sea level.

It also fails often to connect.

Definately not alone! I started playing last night and thought it was just my slow-ass net connection that was making it struggle... at one point i was waiting that long i went to make a coffee, came back and had half drunk it by the time it decided to carry on - and i wouldnt mind but my pawn wasnt even hired by a real person - just one of their 'pretend' hirers :(