PDA

View Full Version : Mage or Sorcerer

J0kerr2012
06-03-2012, 01:03 PM
So I plan to use magic.

Should I be a mage or sorcerer? and what pawn should I create for my personal pawn if I am a mage or sorcerer?

iTs xLuiGi
06-03-2012, 03:11 PM
So I plan to use magic.

Should I be a mage or sorcerer? and what pawn should I create for my personal pawn if I am a mage or sorcerer?

i just started playing this game like 2 nights ago, so don't take my opinion 100%, but the way i look at it, if you wanna be more of a healer/support role, go mage. if you wanna be more damage/AOE, go sorc. i decided on going sorc, and i'm going fighter all the way with my main pawn, to try to turn him into my tank so enemies don't bug me while i'm casting.

BloodGodAlucard
06-03-2012, 09:24 PM
i just started playing this game like 2 nights ago, so don't take my opinion 100%, but the way i look at it, if you wanna be more of a healer/support role, go mage. if you wanna be more damage/AOE, go sorc. i decided on going sorc, and i'm going fighter all the way with my main pawn, to try to turn him into my tank so enemies don't bug me while i'm casting.

I did the same thing. If you want DPS go Sorcerer. The spells you get at max vocation are insane both aesthetically and damage wise. I personally use High Bolide (meteor spell), High Maelstrom (Summons Tornado), High Gicel (Giant Multi-Prong Ice Spears), High Ingle (Triple Fireball Barrage), and High Brontide (Lightning Wipe.) I also pick all of the best augments from the Mage and Sorcerer vocations to boost damage, reduce casting time, and reduce damage taken by my character.

When I started out my main pawn was a Fighter and served as a tank. But now that I'm farther in the game, I've converted him into a Warrior for maximum DPS output. Combine that with 2 support pawns of your choice. I personally use a high level DPS Sorcerer that also supplies Dark and Holy weapon buffs and a Mage that has full healing and a buff/de-buff build.

That's how I play anyway. Maybe some of that can be of some help to you and help you choose how to play your Arisen. Have fun and enjoy the game. Don't forget to reference the Quest Guide, Ask Your Questions Here, Achievement Guide, and Pawn Recruitment threads if you need help going for the 1,000. :)

shawn006
06-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Just to throw out some advice. I went Mage >> Sorcerer and never any other vocations. In the post-game dungeon in the level 50-60 range, I only had something like 1300 or 1400 health, and some bosses would kill me in one hit despite wearing the best defensive armor I could buy and having defensive augments. I would strongly advise leveling up some in a vocation that would grant defense and health.

Also, sorcerer / mage are kind of useless against the ur-dragon. It heavily resists magic and is too mobile / dangerous to cast any top tier spells. I've heard you can get the assassin augments for boosting damage, cast holy affinity on yourself, and use the improved staff shot core skill in sorcerer to actually damage it, but hey, that's a lot of work and you're not using spells.

BloodGodAlucard
06-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Just to throw out some advice. I went Mage >> Sorcerer and never any other vocations. In the post-game dungeon in the level 50-60 range, I only had something like 1300 or 1400 health, and some bosses would kill me in one hit despite wearing the best defensive armor I could buy and having defensive augments. I would strongly advise leveling up some in a vocation that would grant defense and health.

Also, sorcerer / mage are kind of useless against the ur-dragon. It heavily resists magic and is too mobile / dangerous to cast any top tier spells. I've heard you can get the assassin augments for boosting damage, cast holy affinity on yourself, and use the improved staff shot core skill in sorcerer to actually damage it, but hey, that's a lot of work and you're not using spells.

Thanks for the tip. I have been thinking about this stuff on my playthrough. I think I'll level up a Magick Archer and Mystic Knight to get some more defense and have more versatility in fighting post game bosses. If you want health upgrades though I think Warrior is the way to go. And physical defense is probably best acquired through maxing out the Fighter vocation.

It's good to change up your playstyle time to time in this game. Like I said, I've been playing a spellcaster all game. It's like 60 hours later and it's getting a little old. I tried out the melee combat and really liked it. I do hate archery in this game though. That's not because it isn't good. I'm just not very skilled at it. :p

Fallen0
06-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the tip. I have been thinking about this stuff on my playthrough. I think I'll level up a Magick Archer and Mystic Knight to get some more defense and have more versatility in fighting post game bosses. If you want health upgrades though I think Warrior is the way to go. And physical defense is probably best acquired through maxing out the Fighter vocation.

It's good to change up your playstyle time to time in this game. Like I said, I've been playing a spellcaster all game. It's like 60 hours later and it's getting a little old. I tried out the melee combat and really liked it. I do hate archery in this game though. That's not because it isn't good. I'm just not very skilled at it. :p

Warrior & Fighter are good choices to get your def & hp up mystic knight is also a good choice going by stat growth per level they also give the defense & one of the hp augments the other hp augment comes from ranger

Augments
Vigilance Increases your maximum HP by 100. Vocation level 2 Fighter.
Bastion Increases defenses by 50. Vocation level 1 Warrior.
Fortitude Increases Defenses by 30. Vocation level 1 Mystic Knight
Longevity Increases your maximum HP by 100. Vocation level 2 Ranger

Stat Growth
HP Stamina Attack Defense MAtack MDefense
37 15 4 4 2 1 (Fighter)
40 20 5 3 2 1 (Warrior)
30 20 2 3 3 3 (Mystic Knight)

Mystic knight might be the best one if you want to go back to mage/sorc it also seems the best for all round defense having 2 more mdef per level than warrior & fighter

BloodGodAlucard
06-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Warrior & Fighter are good choices to get your def & hp up mystic knight is also a good choice going by stat growth per level they also give the defense & one of the hp augments the other hp augment comes from ranger

Augments
Vigilance Increases your maximum HP by 100. Vocation level 2 Fighter.
Bastion Increases defenses by 50. Vocation level 1 Warrior.
Fortitude Increases Defenses by 30. Vocation level 1 Mystic Knight
Longevity Increases your maximum HP by 100. Vocation level 2 Ranger

Stat Growth
HP Stamina Attack Defense MAtack MDefense
37 15 4 4 2 1 (Fighter)
40 20 5 3 2 1 (Warrior)
30 20 2 3 3 3 (Mystic Knight)

Mystic knight might be the best one if you want to go back to mage/sorc it also seems the best for all round defense having 2 more mdef per level than warrior & fighter

As always Fallen0 you are a well of knowledge. Thanks for the stats. So how long should I play as a Mystic Knight? Just until I max out the vocation or maybe longer? I'm not sure what level I am right now. I pretty sure I'm close to 50.

Fallen0
06-03-2012, 11:20 PM
As always Fallen0 you are a well of knowledge. Thanks for the stats. So how long should I play as a Mystic Knight? Just until I max out the vocation or maybe longer? I'm not sure what level I am right now. I pretty sure I'm close to 50.

It really depends on what you want your stats to be how much hp you want etc 10 levels would give you 300 hp 200 stam 20 attk 30 def 30 mattk & 30 mdef where if you stayed sorc you would get 160 hp 150 stam 20 attk 10 def 50 m attk 50 mdef so the difference you get is 140hp 50 stam 0 attk 20 def & - 20 to both m attk/def.

Also you can get a nice boost in your def stats from just having the Abyssinal set all 3 dragon forged give you 231 def & 194 mdef in total not including resistance's and other armor i would think you would want around 2k hp just so bosses don't one shot you so maybe just take it for 10ish levels for the little hp boost might be a good idea you could also just use the two hp augments for a nice boost as well i am currently sitting at around 2500hp 620 def & 500 Mdef at level 72 and don't really have any trouble fighting anything other than the online Ur-Dragon.

BloodGodAlucard
06-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Okay I'll do that. Looks like I'll be changing up my vocation tonight. Since I'm moving to a melee style I guess this would be a good opportunity to make my main pawn into a Ranger. He's been a Fighter and then a Warrior all game. And I really need a Ranger's help on certain enemies. Especially golems. They are a pain in the ass to kill with magic. I just end up spamming High Bolide and then High Gicel to kill the amulet on the bottom of it's foot. It's a lot of luck based and a very long fight. Hopefully this will help since he'll be able to scale it now.

Fallen0
06-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Okay I'll do that. Looks like I'll be changing up my vocation tonight. Since I'm moving to a melee style I guess this would be a good opportunity to make my main pawn into a Ranger. He's been a Fighter and then a Warrior all game. And I really need a Ranger's help on certain enemies. Especially golems. They are a pain in the ass to kill with magic. I just end up spamming High Bolide and then High Gicel to kill the amulet on the bottom of it's foot. It's a lot of luck based and a very long fight. Hopefully this will help since he'll be able to scale it now.

A good way i find to take out the bottom of the foot one is if you break the one near the bottom of his back most of the time it will knock him over so you can then go all out on the foot one sometimes though it will just make him freeze up and then its a long fight like you said.

Also i have two spare pieces of abyssinal if you would like it boots & chest piece if you would like them.

BloodGodAlucard
06-04-2012, 12:19 AM
A good way i find to take out the bottom of the foot one is if you break the one near the bottom of his back most of the time it will knock him over so you can then go all out on the foot one sometimes though it will just make him freeze up and then its a long fight like you said.

Also i have two spare pieces of abyssinal if you would like it boots & chest piece if you would like them.

Thank you. I would really appreciate it. I'll send you a FR over Live.

Azrael008uk
06-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Being a Sorcerer is amazing.

I made myself completely max out being a Mage first however.

The high destruction spells are amazing to behold.

There's nothing more entertaining than conjuring a Maelstrom in the midst of a flock of Harpies (or is it a clutch...) or calling down a meteor shower on a beach full of saurons.

Az