PDA

View Full Version : Mettle Against Metal - How To Hit Tree Gem?

Rowan88
06-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Hi,

Is it possible to hit the purple crystal that is in the tree as a melee class or do I need to change to a ranger?

Tyrantus
06-06-2012, 07:39 PM
You or your pawns needs some type of ranged attack, arrows or magic etc to be able to get them.

BloodGodAlucard
06-06-2012, 08:02 PM
You or your pawns needs some type of ranged attack, arrows or magic etc to be able to get them.

I can confirm for you 100% that magic does 0 damage to the metal golem amulets. I'm a Sorcerer and my pawn is a Warrior. He had killed all but the last one that was in the tree the first time I fought it. I hit it with 6 different spells and didn't do any damage at all. I had to swap to a class that has use of a bow. So an Assassin, Strider, or Ranger is needed for this fight.

Rise
06-06-2012, 08:25 PM
I can confirm for you 100% that magic does 0 damage to the metal golem amulets. I'm a Sorcerer and my pawn is a Warrior. He had killed all but the last one that was in the tree the first time I fought it. I hit it with 6 different spells and didn't do any damage at all. I had to swap to a class that has use of a bow. So an Assassin, Strider, or Ranger is needed for this fight.

You sure?

I am a mystic Knight and i used Great Cannon to attack that amulet and it worked perfectly fine, as well as some of my pawns were sorcerers and also were able to deal damage to the amulets.

BloodGodAlucard
06-06-2012, 08:47 PM
You sure?

I am a mystic Knight and i used Great Cannon to attack that amulet and it worked perfectly fine, as well as some of my pawns were sorcerers and also were able to deal damage to the amulets.

You're kidding me. My game must have glitched out or something. I had another Sorcerer and a Mage as my support pawns, and their attacks were useless too. That really bugs me because I know for a fact the spells were connecting. At one point it took a direct hit from a barrage of meteors. I shot it with spears of ice, fireballs, and even tried whipping it with lightning with no effect.

It is good to know that it's possible though. Another weird glitch to add to the list I guess. :p

k1ll1ng5pr33
06-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Your game isn't bugged. They're magic resistant. It may happen that the golem damages it when you get close though. What I did notice and I'm not sure, it looked as if I could do damage with magic when I had a Holy light buff. It could also be that the ranger pawn in my party was damaging it at the same time.

Rise
06-06-2012, 09:58 PM
interesting this is becoming.

- A sorceror, mage and warrior pawn.
- last amulet was the tree amulet.
- i'm a mystic knight and my magic attacks still dealt great damage to it, however i then got grappled by the golem as we'll call it, and then fire meteors rained from the sky and smashed the amulet as the other two pawns were dead :D

Zim
06-06-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm 99% sure that only the mystic knights magic attacks hurt it. My magic dealing pawn didn't even bother to attack them.

If you are a melee class then this fight can be horrible.

I was a fighter then had a mage, warrior and ranger.
Me and the warrior simply couldn't hit it (although I think maybe you could if you rode the golems head, jumped at the perfect time as he was under it and slashed but trying to time that was insane. I got VERY close though)
The mage wouldn't cast any spells up at the tree then when the golem arrived the spells were too slow and they could barely cast at all.

So it all came down to my ranger pawn and boy did they make a mess of it. Took them about 20minutes.

Some general advice if you are relying on a pawn for that bit. Unequip any melee weapons. If they have them they will often feel the need to ignore the giant glowing weak point in the tree and instead climb on the golem and hopelessly hack away.

Do not give them a lantern! As the quest string leading to Mettle vs metal is quite long and it's likely you will start in the morning there is a good chance it will be dark by the time you fight the golem. I found that my pawn would only shoot the amulet when in the water just past the tree closer to the dead end. However being in water the pawns lantern was constantly getting put out. If they have one they prioritize reactivating it which wastes VASTS amount of time as it will almost immediately be put out again. Unfortunately it seems like during battle you can't take their lantern as it wouldn't allow me to use the give option even when they didn't have it equipped.

So yea it is possible without your character being ranged but damn is it annoying. I would say just go as an assassin with a sword and bow. Sword + gouge takes out normal golems insanely fast. Bow can take out the tree amulet.