PDA

View Full Version : anyone else fed up with the constant running from A to B

Suki
06-07-2012, 09:26 PM
this game is great but is now being ruined by the endless trips up and down the map with the same battles against the foes u meet on the way, of course u can jump back to the capital with a stone but this imo is a very bad design choice just to add on hours and hours of wasting time walking and running to your destination, i wish there was a fast travel like most rpgs.

BloodGodAlucard
06-07-2012, 09:38 PM
I completely agree with you. I haven't even finished my first playthrough yet, but I'm already over 70 hours into it. I know at least a dozen or more of those hours was spent backtracking.

I mean it's great that they give you a method of real fast travel in new game plus. But to be completely honest, I don't really care. The second playthrough is just going to be running straight through the main quest as quickly as possible for the achievement.

Don't get me wrong, I really like this game. I just have no desire to do a second 100% playthrough right now. Maybe in the future. But right now I'm doing a 100% run my first time through the game. Then my ng+ will be a speed run for the final achievement.

Phantomsiren
06-07-2012, 09:41 PM
this game is great but is now being ruined by the endless trips up and down the map with the same battles against the foes u meet on the way, of course u can jump back to the capital with a stone but this imo is a very bad design choice just to add on hours and hours of wasting time walking and running to your destination, i wish there was a fast travel like most rpgs.

On your first playthrough, you are basically out of luck. At one point you will obtain a "port crystal" which will allow you to set anywhere in the world. Once you set it somewhere, you will be able to use a Ferrystone to travel to it. It doesn't help so much in the first playthrough BUT if you decide to do a second playthrough (which I am sure you will), the Black Cat vendor in Gran Soren will sell you port crystals to buy. They cost 200,000 but once you start farming Everfall for chests and monsters, money will roll in.

So if I were you, after you beat the main dragon in the story, you will then be able to access Everfall. Everfall has 15 chambers all with chests and different monsters. Spend some time doing that, get some gear and make some money. When you decide to start the second playthrough, hit up Gran Soren and grab some port crystals from the Black Cat. Then on your quests, you can set them up in the north, south, and west end of Gransys. Hope this helps.

krisduhfer
06-07-2012, 09:41 PM
i HATE that part of this game

Big To
06-07-2012, 10:24 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with that feature. On one hand, it adds a sense of preperation that you need before each journey for quests or hunts. On the other, it punishes carelessness and completionists by forcing them to backtrack, sometimes all the way to Cassidis.

Zim
06-08-2012, 12:18 AM
I agree with Big To. I think it is actually a good and bad thing.

Bad when you have to walk back from somewhere that offers no challenge and you know like the back of your hand. I.e. from Cassardis to Gran Soren. Nothing challenging at all.

However sometimes it is fantastic. When you have done a long quest and want to get back to GS but it is dark and you are going through areas you don't know so well? It's just great. Walking through the forest and suddenly a chimera attacks you when you aren't prepared is a scary and fun experience.

Also I think it can be managed quite reasonably by using ferrystones, items that maintain stamina and staying light. Keep a few mushroom potage's on hand and stay very light and honestly getting from GS to Cassardis actually takes a very short time.

I CR0W I
06-08-2012, 03:46 AM
If you could fast travel the dangers of night would be pretty much pointless as you'd just magically teleport everywhere anyway. I like wandering around at night without a lantern and getting into shit with my pawn.

I really dislike fast travel in RPGs, or at least I dislike the idea of using it to get from A to B in an open world game. Some people play Oblivion/Fallout3+ by just warping everywhere and you wonder why they bother playing a game with a huge world. Personally I walked everywhere in my many hours on both games and found the journeys enjoyable even if I'd walked the same 4 mile journey 10 times before. Maybe I'm autistic or some other brain-wrong.

I think the best fast travel system in games like this was in Morrowind. I liked how you didn't just magically "Teleport" with no real explaination but you used transport to get there. You could only travel to a few locations from each travel point and it cost you money. I think I even used it once to avoid going through an area full of annoying bird creatures (Cliffracers are worse than anything in Dragon's Dogma)

TheLegendOf1977
06-08-2012, 06:19 PM
I completely agree with you. I haven't even finished my first playthrough yet, but I'm already over 70 hours into it.

Ha! I thought i was the only one! Everywhere on this forum i'm reading that people are on their New game+ or even +2 and i'm like, what!? How can they have so many hours to spend?

Darth Cuda
06-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Its an open world rpg. Im wondering what people expect?? Yeah a better fast travel could be of use but honsetly the world isnt so big that its a huge issue. I would have much perferred a mount or unlimited sprint system (like inside the towns) while not in combat situations.

Suki
06-08-2012, 10:31 PM
The night thing is great and i wouldnt want to miss that part but there are a lot of locations to discover and i think once found they should all be fast travel enabled, i think doing a 100% playthrough u are travelling for maybe 20-30 hrs which is just too much i have heard the word 'Goblin' enough times to last a lifetime. But its a great game with this only flaw imo.

Sarsage
06-08-2012, 11:58 PM
A crappy way to extend a game's completion time. I think so.

BloodGodAlucard
06-09-2012, 12:32 AM
I agree with the suggestion of mounts. That's one reason that travel was never an issue for me in Skyrim. I spent FAR more time in that game just wandering around. And I didn't mind since I could get a horse if I didn't want to fast travel and take in the sights. Maybe they could be added in a DLC. Or if not, it's a great idea for the sequel they'll undoubtedly make.

LordDVS
06-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Its an open world rpg. Im wondering what people expect?? Yeah a better fast travel could be of use but honsetly the world isnt so big that its a huge issue. I would have much perferred a mount or unlimited sprint system (like inside the towns) while not in combat situations.

It is annoying, but for me, anyway, it's a reminder of how spoiled this current generation of gamers are. Old school games didn't have regenerating HP, quick travel or the ilk. The way this game is designed, you'd easily miss the sense of adventure if you could just just pop in and out wherever you'd like. I agree with Cuda, it could have used some form of transportation tho. The portcrystals are a good idea, but I think are underused, or implemented too late into the gameplay.

Zim
06-09-2012, 06:20 PM
It is annoying, but for me, anyway, it's a reminder of how spoiled this current generation of gamers are. Old school games didn't have regenerating HP, quick travel or the ilk. The way this game is designed, you'd easily miss the sense of adventure if you could just just pop in and out wherever you'd like. I agree with Cuda, it could have used some form of transportation tho. The portcrystals are a good idea, but I think are underused, or implemented too late into the gameplay.

I think they should have just made it so that when you get that first port crystal you actually get 4. But make it so they have fixed places to be put. Then have those places be in cassardis, shadow fort, windbluff tower and Greatwall encampment. Mostly covering the 4 corners of the map and GS in the center. It would make sense that the bigger safe locations had port crystals in them.

It's reasonably late in game so by that point it's likely you have already 90-100% explored. And it wouldn't be so many that you could just warp around and barely have to travel. If you wanted to go to bloodwater beach or bluemoon tower you are still going to have to walk. But you just wouldn't have to do the tedious bits of GS to Windbluff tower or GS to past the shadow fort etc.

I mean they basically have this in NG+ but seems odd to limit it to then.

AlterEgo3561
06-09-2012, 06:40 PM
I didn't mind if too much, until I downloaded the From a Different Sky crap.. they are scattered all over and in an anoying way. For example you pick up a quest to shadow fort, you finish it then pick up the next series from the notice board... guess what... one of them has you going right back to the shadow fort...

T4TTEDUP
06-11-2012, 02:38 AM
Yeh i found this extremely annoying it wouldn't be so bad if they had a different set of enemies, But nope same old Goblins and Bandits everytime.....

LordDVS
06-11-2012, 02:49 AM
Yeh i found this extremely annoying it wouldn't be so bad if they had a different set of enemies, But nope same old Goblins and Bandits everytime.....
Well, they do in Post game, but at that point, you're mostly farming Everfall...

moltak9000
06-11-2012, 03:10 AM
this is great thanks

Tomtam
06-12-2012, 05:34 PM
You can buy portcrystals in either post game or ng+ from black cat scrivener, he is behind the alehouse then.