PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone elses heart just sink when watching the E3 demo?

lornesbored
06-08-2012, 08:40 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I feel that the 2 or 3 series that I have been following as of late have really dropped the ball. I speak mainly of Assassins Creed and the terrible upcoming game, but this is refering to Halo 4.

I watched the demo at E3, and it seems like they are just going in such a weird direction that is catering to more of the CoD crowd then an actual gamer. 343 has bastardized Halo Reach by removing and changing the features that made it a game, I understand that bloom sucks because it can be affected by latency issues but that is neither here nor there.

I watched the E3 video and was immediately dissapointed by the armour that the Chief wears, it's bloody terrible. He looks like he went down to the local walmart and picked up all the on sale plastic bins and plastic welded them together with shopping cart mesh. Gone is the larger than life look. I also noticed straight away that in his visor when people are talking it has their picture to his left. First off, even in the future, I would NEVER want this feature in a helmet designed for combat, someone talks to me, it clogs up half my screen, I'm fucking dead, enough said. Still only a shield indicator and no health?

Epic Games ruined Gears of War 3. If you played it since launch day like me you became very bored and insulted by their tactics to monetize absolutely everything you do. If Halo copies this (and I can see this since they are both MSoft Studios) then it will be an easy no for me. I think skins on weapons / armour in a fracking Halo game is so out of place, that even if they make it free, and you get them as you level up, making it more like CoD, then it will still be an easy no for me.

The 'quicktime events' remind me a lot of CoD, in how they make the screen move, and how unnatural they are, it makes me think they threw them in last second to appeal to a larger crowd, rather then making it seem more real, like Halo's of the past created so well. Also the way the forerunner's are just 'there' all of a sudden holyfuckingshit theres forerunners everywhere (or at least their weaponry), they better go REALLY far into depth as to how they got there and how they just blow the fucking shit out of everyone.

I know it's a 2-3 minute alpha-beta-whatever version they are on but they only have 4 months until ship date so I'm pretty sure a lot of it is staying. It sucks, but I am not going to be buying this day 1, I am going to wait for a let's play on youtube, watch until halfway through the game, then make the decision. Just like I'm going to with AC3, and like I did with Max Payne 3 (not getting it). Hell, Microsofts press conference was mostly garbage, the only thing I was really impressed with was Splinter Cell.

Now don't get me wrong. I want Halo to be REALLY REALLY good, I have played and mastered every single Halo game thus far, I even beat Halo 1 legendary solo back on the original XBOX, but it seems like they are taking it in the wrong direction. Essentially copying everyone else instead of keeping it original like Bungie did. A little bit of Call of Duty / Gears of War / BF3 / Hannah montanna doesn't make a good HALO game, a whole shit load of HALO makes a good Halo game.

Oh, and I stopped playing COD after MW1, so not a fanboy, just a gamer lost in the weeds of bad sequels.

shez1975
06-08-2012, 08:45 PM
They are all trying to get tat cod feeling in there game, look at what there doing to gears of war making it fast than ever. the just dint know when to leave things along. they always trying to get the cod feeling or or complicate the squeals.

theNomad
06-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Well you lost me when you said 343i killed Reach with the changes they made, I for one enjoyed the title update they did and the Anniversary levels they introduced. The Beta TU playlist was so much fun, players getting back to basics.

Your only arguments seem to be about game cosmetics, and the fact you can mod your spartans weapon/armor. I'll agree I'm slightly skeptical too about the visor, but the little video could be fun during the campaign so long as its used sparingly as a way to build atmosphere between encounters.

As for Forerunner weapons being in the game, its clearly mentioned the moment Chief picks the 1st one up on planet Requiem, that its based on forerunner tech. No reason just because forerunners have become extinct all their knowledge would.

Me, most my Halo friends and general word of mouth around the community people are excited with what they've seen. Sure there's going to be changes but that's what keeps it fresh.

DarkReign2021
06-09-2012, 12:01 AM
The chief's armor looks kind of... wonky, but at least it looks somewhat more functional as a suit than just layers of titanium plating. It's not my favorite design (I still like Halo 2's armor the best) but I'm not too upset about it since most of the game is in 1st person anyway.

The face in the visor isn't a permanent thing. Fortunately it only seems to be in the scripted moments IF it's even included in the final game. During all of the actual combat you could here her making comments which, again, is most likely not going to be in the final game since it would take a crazy amount of scripting to make random quips like those work in unison with the game, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Armor and weapon skins are regrettably the bane of the online generation, but I'll tell you what the butt monkeys on this website told me (JK. I love you guys.) If you don't like the skins than you don't have to purchase them.

I have not actually seen any of the QTE's for the game yet (has there even been footage of one yet? If so I somehow missed it.) but I personally enjoy them myself. They make me feel more like the character than just an avatar behind his eyes. I've personally always favored the hands-on approach in FPS though. Fist fighting, button pressing, looting corpses, etc... should all be done through physical animations like in Breakdown, Mirror's Edge, and Riddick. That's just my opinion though.

All that said, to each their own when it comes to what you want from games. I'm on your side in the desire for less sequels and more original IPs. I wish developers could be given the incentive to take risks and make new IPs, but the world is so flooded with casual gamers and people simply not willing to take risks that it's hard not to punch out sequel after sequel after sequel. Even I'm hard-pressed to buy original IPs because there's no guarantee it'll actually be good, but sometimes you just gotta run with it. You do that and you end up with gold like Borderlands and Asura's Wrath. Even so, it is nice to have a franchise or two in the stable that you can rely on. I'm a solid fan of the Halo universe and I've invested in every book, game, soundtrack, and movie they put out because I know it'll never disappoint me as long as they keep making an effort.

fastNcurious
06-09-2012, 12:35 AM
My heart sank when I realized that they're having a different guy do the voices in multiplayer. The guy who goes "Double Kill," "Killimanjaro," "Game Over" in Halo 3 and Reach does not seem to be doing the voices in H4. (At least based on what I can hear.)

Ty-Rex
06-09-2012, 12:55 AM
My heart sank when I realized that they're having a different guy do the voices in multiplayer. The guy who goes "Double Kill," "Killimanjaro," "Game Over" in Halo 3 and Reach does not seem to be doing the voices in H4. (At least based on what I can hear.)
I could have sworn I read a tweet or something about him doing all the voice samples for the medals already. I'm far too lazy to use google, though, to confirm this.

Anyway, I was pretty not excited about this game, then someone linked to some gameplay videos and holy shit I am now excited for this game. I was concerned with it being all CoD-like, but the video I saw made it look like Halo, and that's all I really want.

Here is the video in case others want to see. (http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/videos/89539-halo-4-exclusive-look-developer-commentary-3)

iBuzz7S
06-09-2012, 12:59 AM
Indeed he is.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0826245/

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--C8IbIkmd8E/T4yUQXemPII/AAAAAAAAAxE/_AKcmaMgKR8/s1600/Steitzer.png

:woop:

Codemandan
06-09-2012, 02:02 AM
I'm just glad they're making a Halo 4. It's been my favorite game since Combat Evolved on the original Xbox.

Metabolic XBA
06-09-2012, 02:32 AM
OK, well you pretty much lost me when you said 'Assassins Creed and the terrible upcoming game' because that game looks amazing, but that aside how can a game be terrible when you haven't played it? Anyways, I read on but I am sorry I just can't agree with you on a single point here.

Other than load outs I can't see how they are trying to emulate CoD in anyway. Every video i have seen looks like Halo through and through. MC's armor looks fine but it matters little to nothing in a FPS anyway. I haven't seen a single video that show's QTE's so not sure where you are coming from there, have to see them myself first.

How can you say armor customization has no place in a Halo game when it has been in there since Halo 2? Having camo skins is no different than making a pink/purple/green/yellow etc spartan to me, we have always been able to customize in some way shape or form so how is expanding it breaking the game now? Team games will still be red vs blue and lone wolf will still be your spartan just how you want him to look, just with more options.

It never says the creatures in the trailer are Forerunners, Cortana says the smaller ones are some form of AI defense and the larger ones are 'synthetic'. Only the weapons are Forerunner tech which I am sure will be explained if you give the game a chance. I believe (I haven't read much of the expanded universe stuff so don't quote me here) that the planet they are on is pretty much uncharted as the Infinity is a ship designed to seek out new worlds or some such so for all we know it could be a Forerunner home world, which would easily explain their tech being there.

Not being an ass but please point out to me what is taken from CoD/Battlefield, other than loadouts which were already sort of included in Reach, and wtf do you see in there taken from GoW 3?

kyboy
06-09-2012, 02:51 AM
im a casual Halo player, but IMO, the gameplay looked amazing! i pre ordered the LE.. first time ever pre ordering a Halo game..
i usually just buy em pre owned..

Carloz Brown
06-09-2012, 03:07 AM
I was a little afraid that 343 take the series in ways that shouldn't... but I was quite surprised to see how despite making so many changes it still looks like Halo ... I'm pretty curious of what will be the final result

HugTheBear
06-09-2012, 03:10 AM
OK, well you pretty much lost me when you said 'Assassins Creed and the terrible upcoming game' because that game looks amazing

Ditto. Assassins Creed looks beautiful.

As for Halo, I never got into that series. Played the first one and just didn't like it. I watched some of the gameplay on G4 and I wasn't impressed. The guy that was playing had his sights on his enemy multiple times and shot at the enemy and missed. He had to aim to the left or the right of the enemy to hit him with his bullets. Is that normal for Halo? Like I said, I don't play Halo games.

kyboy
06-09-2012, 03:18 AM
for anyone curious about actual gameplay, Buzz put up a video just a little bit ago. its a full match.. it looks like a kill streak type deal might be in the game now..

fastNcurious
06-10-2012, 06:50 PM
I could have sworn I read a tweet or something about him doing all the voice samples for the medals already. I'm far too lazy to use google, though, to confirm this.

Indeed he is.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0826245/

:woop:

OMG. I am so glad to be wrong in this case! It didn't sound like him at all in the E3 videos. It was probably just the audio quality, but it sounded like someone with a higher pitched voice to me. I am so excited he's back then. Thanks for making my day!!

RBmaster9345
06-10-2012, 06:56 PM
I think you're just off your rocker. I too was worried it was going to diverge from common Halo path but after watching the gameplay I have new confidence in it. Looks great

The Bum-Mobile
06-10-2012, 09:40 PM
I agree with a lot of what you say.

The first person cinematics, the armor, and I too HATE the picture of the person talking I you on your HUD. I have the special edition pre-ordered, because I live Halo and I'm sure it'll be good, at least.

But I've heard stuff about create-a-class in multiplayer? Like, choosing perks and guns and [I]attachments[I]? That's just stupid, but I heard it from a friend so I'm not sure of that's accurate.

Ty-Rex
06-11-2012, 12:33 AM
I am so excited he's back then. Thanks for making my day!!
In case you or anyone else hasn't seen this video, here's an awesome thing:

The voice of Halo (Jeff Steitzer) - YouTube

(Feel free to skip to ~35 seconds)

fastNcurious
06-11-2012, 01:36 AM

The voice of Halo (Jeff Steitzer) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiajRBb-nAo)

Thanks. I've seen videos with him in it and he seems like such a nice guy, that's why I was/would've been upset if he wasn't back in H4.

I love his facial expression when he says those lines, too! Lol.

kyboy
06-11-2012, 02:40 AM
lmfao. Chaney mania!

moltak9000
06-11-2012, 03:09 AM
this is great thanks

Mighty Goliath89
06-11-2012, 08:43 AM
If anything watching the e3 demo actually made me want to play halo again, as always with new halo games they always rekindle my love for them, bring it on I say halo would get boring if they changed nothing I welcome the new changes regardless if they are inspired by CoD, even with those changes it will always still be a halo game ^^b

DarkReign2021
06-11-2012, 03:10 PM
If anything watching the e3 demo actually made me want to play halo again, as always with new halo games they always rekindle my love for them, bring it on I say halo would get boring if they changed nothing I welcome the new changes regardless if they are inspired by CoD, even with those changes it will always still be a halo game ^^b

Agreed. Everytime a new Halo game is about to come out I replay all of the previous games before it. So probably a week before this comes out I'll be going through Halo Wars, Halo: Reach, Halo Anniversary, Halo 2, ODST, and Halo 3 again.

Joker0fLife
06-11-2012, 06:26 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I feel that the 2 or 3 series that I have been following as of late have really dropped the ball. I speak mainly of Assassins Creed and the terrible upcoming game, but this is referring to Halo 4.

I honestly don't see how Assassin's Creed is dropping the ball when they're actually sprucing things up with a different story, landscape, and environment...

I watched the demo at E3, and it seems like they are just going in such a weird direction that is catering to more of the CoD crowd then an actual gamer. 343 has bastardized Halo Reach by removing and changing the features that made it a game, I understand that bloom sucks because it can be affected by latency issues but that is neither here nor there. I don't see how the Multiplayer is any different from the previous ones, minus Infinity Slayer using ordinance drops, but that's only one gametype and you don't HAVE to play it since standard Slayer will still be there. I don't see how it's catering to any part of the COD crowd (besides instant respawning, which is still only in Infinity Slayer) when there's no bullet penetration, nor is there any inconsistency in guns, NOR are there any swap-outtable attachments for each guns.

As far as my knowledge goes, they didn't alter Reach in any way besides changing the bloom from 100% to 85%, but that is certainly nothing to complain about.

I watched the E3 video and was immediately dissapointed by the armour that the Chief wears, it's bloody terrible. He looks like he went down to the local walmart and picked up all the on sale plastic bins and plastic welded them together with shopping cart mesh. Gone is the larger than life look. I also noticed straight away that in his visor when people are talking it has their picture to his left. First off, even in the future, I would NEVER want this feature in a helmet designed for combat, someone talks to me, it clogs up half my screen, I'm fucking dead, enough said. Still only a shield indicator and no health?The armor is different (if anything I'd say it's a rip from Dead Space...) but it doesn't look bad at all. Also, given the premise of Halo 4, I would like to think that his armor had to of needed some adjustments. His armor also makes more sense in the fact that he has armor in the vital spots and detracted armor from areas non-vital to play into his ability to be able to constantly sprint now.

The picture feed only happened once in non-combat, and took up about 10% of your screen in NON-combat, so I don't know why you're stressing that.

Having a shield indicator only makes sense since you're dealing with futuristic weapons. After your shield is gone, 1 or 3 shots to the body seems reasonable, so I don't know why you'd need a health indicator to alert you on how much health you have (these aren't Spartan III's). It's also going back to the style of Halo 3's health system, so again, I don't know why you have a gripe with this.

Epic Games ruined Gears of War 3. If you played it since launch day like me you became very bored and insulted by their tactics to monetize absolutely everything you do. If Halo copies this (and I can see this since they are both MSoft Studios) then it will be an easy no for me. I think skins on weapons / armour in a fracking Halo game is so out of place, that even if they make it free, and you get them as you level up, making it more like CoD, then it will still be an easy no for me. I played GOW 3 since launch and they didn't monetize everything you do. The weapon skins were a cheap way to get money, but it had no effect on the Multiplayer whatsoever. Multiple Pre-Order bonuses from different retailers are a cheap way of securing more money, but it kinda makes sense for 343 to do that since they don't have a Beta, and people like you are iffy about buying their games, so it's a semi-guarantee they'll get a piece of gold when their game ships (even though I don't like it..)

Skins on the weapons and armor aren't going on the Chief, and only in Multiplayer, so I don't see how you can say it seems so out of place when you could alter most of your Spartan's cosmetics since Halo 3.

Leveling up and acquiring more skins and armor is actually a great way to keep someone playing your game. Yes, there are ranks you can look forward to, but most people don't care about a measly symbol next to your name, so having a new skin or piece of armor to work towards is actually a nice thing. (Hence why most people drop GOW games after a while since there's nothing to look forward to from the Multiplayer)

The 'quicktime events' remind me a lot of CoD, in how they make the screen move, and how unnatural they are, it makes me think they threw them in last second to appeal to a larger crowd, rather then making it seem more real, like Halo's of the past created so well. Also the way the forerunner's are just 'there' all of a sudden holyfuckingshit theres forerunners everywhere (or at least their weaponry), they better go REALLY far into depth as to how they got there and how they just blow the fucking shit out of everyone.There are no 'quicktime events' as you call them in any of the footage shown. I think what you're getting at is the fast paced action that happens when the Chief first encounters the Proethian and it cuts to the scripted sequence of him getting knocked on his ass? Yeah...that's not a quicktime event. It also doesn't detract from the game at all IMO. The forerunners also aren't just 'there'. They've been hinted at all through Halo, and the fact that Master Chief got caught in a slip space and sent to another part of space adds sense to the issue. You also don't see anything of the Forerunners in the demo run, so you're just running off assumptions.

Hell, Microsofts press conference was mostly garbage, the only thing I was really impressed with was Splinter Cell.I thought Microsoft's press conference was pretty great, aside from Usher and the 'Big Announcement' at the end. What people fail to understand is that E3 stands for "ELECTRONICS ENTERTAINMENT EXPO" not GAMES GAMES GAMES. Nothing was out of bounds for their conference. Also from what I understand, they had the best conference out of the 3. They're also the only company that isn't trying to appeal to one fan base. You may not like the fact that they showed off their entertainment options, or Kinect features, but they appealed to everyone, unlike Sony or Nintendo trying to appeal to strictly casual or hardcore gamers. There's a reason why Microsoft has stayed at #1 on the list all this time (probably because they use some cheap marketing strategies here and there, but that's another issue...)

Essentially copying everyone else instead of keeping it original like Bungie did. A little bit of Call of Duty / Gears of War / BF3 / Hannah montanna doesn't make a good HALO game, a whole shit load of HALO makes a good Halo game.

Oh, and I stopped playing COD after MW1, so not a fanboy, just a gamer lost in the weeds of bad sequels.They've kept it mostly Halo and gave it some flavor it needs to make it more original. People will bitch if it's kept the same, people will bitch if they change, someone's going to lose. If you can't cope with change, then I guess you lose. But I'm going to major you won't, since you'll be playing Halo 4 either way, and you'll probably enjoy it once you DO play it.

theNomad
06-11-2012, 10:52 PM

The voice of Halo (Jeff Steitzer) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiajRBb-nAo)

(Feel free to skip to ~35 seconds)

haha I laughed so hard and I've watched it so much its awesome, I love how Steitzer sounds kinda pissed his other work isn't as well known. They should do Chaney Mania as an easter egg somehow. Maybe if you manage to somehow kill 3 or 4 of your own team.

Vectorman953
06-12-2012, 05:10 AM
I'm kind of upset they're including cinematic cut-scenes in the style of chief being attacked/surprised a la the Elite attack (in the second level of Reach, pulling a sword to your face, then scared off) but I think I'll be able to deal.

I wasn't particularly happy with the live action portion - but I couldn't place why. Now I think i've placed it... it's because I couldn't really make the connection as to why Infinity would be at Requiem. I kind of need the back-story (which I'm sure 343 will provide) in order to be happy with it. Liked the giant trucks sliding around, and John looking at it coming crashing towards the ground.

Glad to see they're still incorporating a vague exploration element towards the level. I wish cortana was a bit quieter (but I will deal, since we need to know that she's getting very very close to rampancy), and the ODST-esque visor seems out of place after not having it for 3-chief-based games, but whatever.

TL;DR - I'm very excited for this game... I'm just impatient for answers to questions that can't/shouldn't be answered until the games release

Elit3 m0nkey
06-12-2012, 04:57 PM
The only part of the E3 demo that disappointed me was the scripted action sequence when one of the new enemies attacks Master Chief. I really do not like those, and they are starting to get annoying with every game having them. Either show a cutscene or do not use them, Halo never had them and it worked fine that way.

That said, still excited for the game, but my expectations aren't that high, based off what i have seen and hearing (especially in regards to MP).

fax5jrj
07-04-2012, 04:54 AM
Ditto. Assassins Creed looks beautiful.

As for Halo, I never got into that series. Played the first one and just didn't like it. I watched some of the gameplay on G4 and I wasn't impressed. The guy that was playing had his sights on his enemy multiple times and shot at the enemy and missed. He had to aim to the left or the right of the enemy to hit him with his bullets. Is that normal for Halo? Like I said, I don't play Halo games.

*gasp* How can you not like Halo? A lot of my friends love both Assassin's Creed and Halo. Well, then again, I never got the appeal of Assassin's Creed. They never really change the gameplay that much, and I never got past the fifth sequence in any of them due to sheer boredom. Each to their own I guess.