PDA

View Full Version : An Armor Mounted Flashlight.... Really?

T3h Infection
06-13-2012, 04:58 AM
Come on.... That is what made this game scare the hell out of me. Choose a weapon or the ability to see.... Yeah... That is how the game should be played. I hope that there is an option to do that.

Nevander
06-13-2012, 06:24 AM
Personally I find it annoying at times to keep switching to flashlight and weapon back and forth, but I do agree the playstyle would be somewhat lost if you can see AND shoot.

Would make it much easier for some sections (like in the CPU areas with those baby fly demons which I hate).

Hopefully we will be able to disable/enable the usage of the mounted light.

dwayne_hicks
06-14-2012, 11:46 PM
Personally I find it annoying at times to keep switching to flashlight and weapon back and forth, but I do agree the playstyle would be somewhat lost if you can see AND shoot.

Would make it much easier for some sections (like in the CPU areas with those baby fly demons which I hate).

Hopefully we will be able to disable/enable the usage of the mounted light.

Zenimax adding options ? Crazy, but it may just happen.

BosmaniaK
06-14-2012, 11:48 PM
agreed.
it's the way it's meant to be played. but people want a constant flashlight so they get it.:rant:

Stevey Boy2006
06-15-2012, 01:55 PM
As others have said, take away the switching mechanic, you're taking a big part of the game away.

I mean, it wasnt even hard originally so why have they changed it?

Caramel Cardinal
06-20-2012, 12:06 PM
i say keep it in the way ressurection did it, i.e put the flashlight on the bottom of the pistol, that way you can shoot and see at the same time but not have enough fire power to take down bigger enemies

ronnie42
06-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Agreed the mounted flashlight is stupid. I will happily take it off if theres an option because its stupid.

They best not try changing anything else.

Control
06-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Yea I loved the flash light mechanic, thought it was great!

DEG23
06-21-2012, 01:25 AM
I don't know what to think, back in the way i cursed ID for not allowing me to attach the flashlight to a weapon, but now i feel they should have left it as is?

ronnie42
07-27-2012, 05:01 AM
People moaned about the flashlight because they were cowards. I swear this generation is spoon fed. Its sort of why the resident evil games have gone to shit, why dead space 3 has co-op now........

I'll happily play it as the game was originally made, not using the gimick light that is forced on the gun because that shouldn't even be there.

HellspawnRei
08-28-2012, 12:23 PM
People moaned about the flashlight because they were cowards. I swear this generation is spoon fed. Its sort of why the resident evil games have gone to shit, why dead space 3 has co-op now........

I'll happily play it as the game was originally made, not using the gimick light that is forced on the gun because that shouldn't even be there.

1000% agreed.

DamagedWill
09-02-2012, 04:09 AM
I remember reading that the armor mounted flashlight isn't as bright as your main one. Or something to the effect that it wasn't as good as your handheld one. To help make it a bit of a compromise.

SgtFuzzyGhost
09-08-2012, 05:20 PM
You guys realize that the PC version got the Duct Tape mod years ago, right?

Having the armor mounted flashlight could ruin the mood, but I've played the game two/three times through with the Duct Tape mod, and it didn't ruin it. Really, when I first played the game, my question was why DoomGuy didn't take the surplus flashlights, and attach them to his gun, or why they didn't have guns with lights on them in the first place (considering that you can get guns with flashlights attached today).

As far as the Pistol with the light in RoE, they ruined that when they hardly put any ammo for the gun in the game (I never found more than 100 rounds of ammo for it in the entire game). Also, it is the pistol, half of the monsters would require more than one clip to finish.

Nevander
09-08-2012, 07:49 PM
I read on the Bethesda forums someone mentioned that you will be able to disable/enable the ability to have a mounted flashlight or not. I'll go and try to find that quote, EDIT: found it below.

The original flashlight is an option from what I've read, so you're covered in that respect.

The mounted flashlight will be good for that speed run achievement, but I doubt I'll use it for anything else.

Source: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1407142-doom-3-bfg-altered-because-of-censorship/page__p__21469221#entry21469221

SgtFuzzyGhost
09-09-2012, 04:43 AM
I also have to wonder, you guys are not happy with the extra light, but not complaining about check-point saves? That is one of the things that is going to make/break my decision to buy this game (the other being whether it is Linux compatible).

Nevander
09-09-2012, 08:42 AM
I also have to wonder, you guys are not happy with the extra light, but not complaining about check-point saves? That is one of the things that is going to make/break my decision to buy this game (the other being whether it is Linux compatible).

I'm pretty sure you will still be able to save anywhere at any time. Almost positive checkpoint saving means that there are predetermined spots in each level where the game will save for you, since in Doom 3 PC it only saved at the start of each level and not mid-way through. Time will tell I guess but I highly doubt id would go to checkpoint only saving.

SgtFuzzyGhost
09-09-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm pretty sure you will still be able to save anywhere at any time. Almost positive checkpoint saving means that there are predetermined spots in each level where the game will save for you, since in Doom 3 PC it only saved at the start of each level and not mid-way through. Time will tell I guess but I highly doubt id would go to checkpoint only saving.

I want to believe that Nevander, but they did with Wolfenstein '09.

Nevander
09-09-2012, 09:09 PM
I want to believe that Nevander, but they did with Wolfenstein '09.

True, but look what game this is. Personally the newer Wolfenstein was a flop to me and I hated it for the most part, and id knows that it wasn't their best game. Hell, it wasn't even id who actually developed it fully, it was co-developed with Raven and a few others. This game is ALL id, which means they don't have pressure to go with other choices from say Raven. If they don't have manual saves, then something is very, very wrong.