PDA

View Full Version : Elites?

Nevander
06-15-2012, 11:39 PM
I was given to understand that at the end of Halo 2, the Elites join the humans because of the events with the Brutes and their promotion to guard the Prophets, and also in Halo 3 they assist the humans and then go off to their homeworld.

Since Halo 4 is directly after 3, then why in the E3 gameplay did I see a squad of an Elite and grunts together and MC engaging them? Did they forget they were on the same side now?

I also remember in Halo 2 that Hunters and some Grunts sided with us as well, but we fight both in Halo 3.

A bit confused here.

The part I am talking about is at 1:56.

Halo 4 Gameplay Trailer (E3 2012) - YouTube

Vectorman953
06-15-2012, 11:49 PM
Obviously Dark Reign could explain it better than I, and it would certainly help if you read the books - most notably Glasslands (since 343i is actually accepting them as canon now) I thought I could just give you a quick answer.

Basically, in Glasslands, the elites' entire culture is divided when it comes to dealing with the humans. Sure, allying with us helped defeat the Prophets who stabbed them in the back, and a great deal of the flood (note: not all) were eradicated, but we used to be enemies... most of the elites following the Arbiter want peace, but a small section of the elites want to deal enough damage to the humans to erase us off the face of the universe (since we populate(d?) nearly every planet we came across).

Also, which I find particularly interesting is that the war never really concretely "ended." I would not be at all surprised if there were elites that were not in contact (because they're in Requiem) with the rest of the outside world who still considered Chief an enemy). Although this is probably not the case.

TL;DR: Much like how there were Heretics in Halo 2 that didn't agree with all the other elites/covenant, there are elites that don't agree with the arbiter. Grunts don't have a spine and will just follow whoever feeds them.

Nevander
06-15-2012, 11:55 PM
Ahh I see now. This is exactly what I was thinking.

I knew not ALL Elites would be the same, but it was just odd seeing us shooting an Elite after Halo 2 and 3.

As for the Grunts, I guess as you said, they'll follow anyone who says to. That would easily explain why some were on our side, most weren't.

Thanks for this. I've never fully read all the books, I only have started reading The Fall of Reach. I want to read them all though.

DarkReign2021
06-16-2012, 02:40 AM
Vector, you hit the nail right on the head. Different factions have different ideas of what should be done about Humanity. Arbiter's followers support peace with Humanity, but other factions are opposed to peace because they feel that Humanity is far too hostile to allow them to begin repopulating again. (Unfortunately, there's an oversight in the series canon with this conflict because the Believe Ad Campaign takes place in the 2600's and it proves humanity is still alive. This kinda of ruins the edge factor of whether Humanity is on the verge of extinction or not.)

The entire covenant Armada is kind of off doing different things right now. The Elites are caught in a civil war, most of the Brutes are in hiding after their failure in Halo 3, Grunts kind of just go wherever the dominant species tells them to go and Jackals are kind of a mixed bag. Some of them are working with the Covenant as we saw in the halo 4 trailer and Glasslands has confirmed that a faction of them is working with the re-emerged rebels that we heard about in earlier Halo novels. The Prophets were near extinction to begin with and it's believed the rest were killed during the Covenant Civil War and the Flood's overtaking of High Charity. No confirmation yet on Drones or Hunters. Hunters seem to follow the leaders like Grunts and Drones were forced slaves, so it's not likely we'll see them return.

ZingZitang
06-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Some of them are working with the Covenant as we saw in the halo 4 trailer and Glasslands has confirmed that a faction of them is working with the re-emerged rebels that we heard about in earlier Halo novels.

Yes, lets not forget the Rebels. We know they will play an increasingly prominent role in the near future.

Not only are there differing Factions in the Shangheili Population, the Pre-Covenant War Rebels are Re-emerging, claiming Independence from the UNSC(the UNSC who so kindly saved them all from Extinction).

These Rebels are the Reason the Spartans were Originally Created, as you'll find in the Fall of Reach(fantastic book by the way).

One thing to remember though, is that Halo 4 begins a little over 4 years after the end of Halo 3. Since then, and you'll learn in Glasslands if you get around to reading it, ONI has been stoking a pseudo Space Cold War between the Differing factions of Shangheili and even the Human Rebels. And this will continue in the next Halo Novel: The Thursday War, which is releasing a month before Halo 4, and will help explain why the Chief has to confront these old enemies.

I would doubt that Humanity is back at Open war with the Shangheili or The Covenant. My Guess would be that these "Covenant" forces we see are either some sort of out of touch Rebel faction, or under direct command from the Servants of Abiding Truth - the Arbiters Direct Opposition and the Faction that still wants to Eradicate Humanity(Who are still sort of Rebel-like).

H0p3sfalL
06-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Does anybody know when the next book after Glasslands comes out?

ZingZitang
06-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Does anybody know when the next book after Glasslands comes out?

October 2nd. A little over a month before Halo 4.

This seems to be the Cover Art, But It could easily change.
http://www.tor.com/images/stories/blogs/12_05/Halo-Thursday-War.jpg
We see the Infinity and other UNSC Warships, along with a Mysterious looking Spartan. Either a new Character(possibly a Spartan IV), or Mabye Naomi-010 with her sweet new Mjolnir Mark VII Armor.

H0p3sfalL
06-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Wow that looks beast ! Thank you sir for posting that info.

DarkReign2021
06-18-2012, 09:22 PM
On top of Thursday War, the next Forerunner novel has a working name. It's called Silentium and it's supposed to focus on the relationship between the Primordial and a Gravemind. No solid release date yet, but I would venture a guess at sometime around January.

Hitman H94
06-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Also don't forget ONI have been supplying weapons to different factions of the Elites in order to make sure the Civil War will weaken them.

Vectorman953
06-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Vaguely off topic: I'd really like it if there was a surprise jackal attack at some point during the campaign. Like you're floating along in space ship, then BAM! Boarded. Of course you're master chief so they don't stand a chance... I suppose this would make more sense in Halo 5, assuming they got the Infinity up and running and all that. It's kind of hard to work the plot into something workable for my scenario

Seriously though. I think it would be kind of cool to see the jackals finally performing like they do in the books, but in the games. Damned pirates.

DarkReign2021
06-29-2012, 04:01 AM
Vaguely off topic: I'd really like it if there was a surprise jackal attack at some point during the campaign. Like you're floating along in space ship, then BAM! Boarded. Of course you're master chief so they don't stand a chance... I suppose this would make more sense in Halo 5, assuming they got the Infinity up and running and all that. It's kind of hard to work the plot into something workable for my scenario

Seriously though. I think it would be kind of cool to see the jackals finally performing like they do in the books, but in the games. Damned pirates.

That's really what I was hoping for in the next trilogy. Obviously the Forerunner and Flood were going to be the main focus, but I was hoping to encounter various factions of the Covenant in their natural elements. Sangheili and Jiralhanae continuing to fight at every turn, jacakals forming alliances and generally screwing over anybody they can manipulate, grunts playing cannon fodder for whoever will adopt them, etc... I even want to see Rebel humans playing a role in the next trilogy. With the chief bieng stranded on Requiem that will be difficult to pull off, though. If the game was more expansive and visited more locales like Mass Effect and Star Wars does, I could see it being done. Honestly there are times where i wish Halo and Mass Effect were the same universe. As much as I love Halo's storyline, I would love to have seen a galactic council and community form at some point in the franchise, but the way all of the races have interacted so far, I feel there would be too much hostility to pull something like this off comfortably.

ZingZitang
06-29-2012, 12:58 PM
I suppose this would make more sense in Halo 5, assuming they got the Infinity up and running and all that.
This is interesting to me. And I'm honestly kind of sad the Infinity Crashes on its seemingly maiden voyage. Humanities highest Technological Achievement, I'm very interested to see what happens to the Infinity after the crash.
I would love to have seen a galactic council and community form at some point in the franchise, but the way all of the races have interacted so far, I feel there would be too much hostility to pull something like this off comfortably.Some sort of Galactic Galactic Council would be pretty interesting.

Just for imagination's sake, what Races do you think would be on the council?

Humanity and the Shangheili are a given, but I think the Jiralhanae are too violent. Jackals don't have one cohesive government to join the council with, Grunts and Drones(and probably Hunters) aren't intelligent enough. San'Shyuum are in hiding. I imagine the Engineers could play some role(similar to the keepers?).

DarkReign2021
06-29-2012, 06:49 PM
I think the Jiralhanae would be able capable of joining if they find a leader that was level-headed enough. Maccabeus always struck me as a wise and capable leader until Tartarus brought him down.

Although the Unggoy were forcibly kept at barbaric levels of intelligence, Dadab and Yayap proved that they could overcome their "grunt" positions. Yayap was an innovative thinker and was able to work in a spec-ops squad on a personal mission against the Chief and Dadab was quite adept at learning how to utilize his surrounds and caught on to a fair amount of the sign language that Engineers used to communicate. I don't think they would be capable of handling a council position, but they would definitely be able to work their way up to an area of tolerance within the galactic society. Yanme'e and Kigyar are both hopeless causes. Lekgolo don't really care. They just tend to go with the flow in most situations so long as they're kept in their brother pairings.

That just leaves the San 'Shyuum. At this point I don't think any of the races would ever allow them to return and I don't think any of them would be foolish enough to attempt it (if there are even any still alive. It's possible none remain.)