PDA

View Full Version : Hateful messages after gaming

AmbaLaBamba
06-21-2012, 01:22 PM
I was just wondering who gets hateful messages after playing a game when being helpful. The main word there being helpful. I know a lot of you get hateful messages for just playing the games or even dominating in the likes of CoD or Battlefield, but I'm more interested right now about how many of you get hateful messages after being polite, nice and helpful...

Basically I've just been playing RE:ORC and joined someone's game because I need some XP for purchasing all the goodies etc and I was helping he/she along. Anyway, this person got infected and I shot them so I could revive them (this method I find is quicker than searching for an anti-virus, plus they had full health so the turning process would have taken a lot longer). They sent me a message saying "don't kill me" so I replied back with the reason why.

We finished the last mission as they told me which path they wanted to take game wise and I did it, helped them through it and at the end of the game they sent me some more messages, here they are:

"bamba in italian means stupid" to which I replied "And your point here being?"

"your tag is amba the stupid" to which i replied "I hope this makes you feel superior for the next 10 minutes. Thanks :)"

Needless to say instead of going down to their level I just tried to be polite and slightly sarcastic as possible and reported their messages for being hateful and distasteful. All for helping them out though and actually having some knowledge about the game... some people need to a) learn how to play games all the ways they can be played and learn the quick strategies and b) chill out.

But my question stands; have you ever been helpful then been turned on (so to speak)? :)

Blink
06-21-2012, 01:33 PM
People are stupid, it's never going to change. I simply block communications with anyone who sends a message like that.

Gackt
06-21-2012, 01:59 PM
I usually do 1 of 2 things if I get hate msg's or insults on xbox live.
I pretend I only speak japanese, and they usually don't bother after that. Or I come up with a really weird topic and respond like halfway through a convo they were never part off to confuse them which usually never gets replies either lol

Random xbox live idiot: You're horrible at this game, you should kill yourself you know?
Gackt: I don't know about that, I mean I spent like 4.50 on that poster and it came with 3 free socks!
Random: Wha...
End of msgs :biglaugh

Skorpion XBA
06-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Random xbox live idiot: You're horrible at this game, you should kill yourself you know?
Gackt: I don't know about that, I mean I spent like 4.50 on that poster and it came with 3 free socks!

^Genius

Luckily I've never had the pleasure of dealing with that. But if I ever did I'm quick with comebacks and sarcasm. In any confrontation I've ever been in a calm, kind atitude always pisses them off more.

Dav13s
Never a problem for me, I'm not helpful in the slightest

Wortsenawl
I don't think that was necessarily hateful. I assume bamba does mean stupid, in which case they could simply have been pointing it out in case you weren't sure, or in a round about way asking why you would choose that as a tag.

If I am honest (and don't mean to cause offence) I would have to say you are over reacting to it a little.

DJConnelly
06-21-2012, 02:12 PM
I got "get a life" couple nights ago randomly when playing full house poker from someone I hadn't even played. So I just act like a moron and spk lk thizz to annoyz them. lolol. I don't expect explanations from idiots. Maybe I took some imaginary money off him while playing. Inevitably, they ask If I am a D.J for some reason. In which case I lay some sick rhymes on them.

AmbaLaBamba
06-21-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't think that was necessarily hateful. I assume bamba does mean stupid, in which case they could simply have been pointing it out in case you weren't sure, or in a round about way asking why you would choose that as a tag.

If I am honest (and don't mean to cause offence) I would have to say you are over reacting to it a little.

I even looked it up and there isn't a meaning for Bamba in the Italian language, but what I wrote were just snippets after about 4 - 5 messages they turned really offensive and starting the verbals. I just ended up blocking them.

The usual 'insert word of choice here' and what not, fat bitch, homo... lovely.

And it isn't just this person I'm speaking about really, it's about people in general too as I seem to attract them quite often. I try to be helpful and I get abused for it.. lol

hydrosugar
06-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Ive never got any messages like that from someone I was helping, that's just strange. Ive got the generic sore loser ones like everyone else though. They can be so much fun if I bother to respond to them.

Wortsenawl
06-21-2012, 02:22 PM
I even looked it up and there isn't a meaning for Bamba in the Italian language, but what I wrote were just snippets after about 4 - 5 messages they turned really offensive and starting the verbals. I just ended up blocking them.

The usual 'insert word of choice here' and what not, fat bitch, homo... lovely.

And it isn't just this person I'm speaking about really, it's about people in general too as I seem to attract them quite often. I try to be helpful and I get abused for it.. lol

Fair enough... I dunno, some people think they are being clever I guess. Gotta say though it is one of the reasons I only ever really play MP with my mates... not that it stops the hateful messages... my friends have that aspect covered pretty well with me ;)

AmbaLaBamba
06-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Fair enough... I dunno, some people think they are being clever I guess. Gotta say though it is one of the reasons I only ever really play MP with my mates... not that it stops the hateful messages... my friends have that aspect covered pretty well with me ;)

I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this really, just seems out of place in the 'lets abuse xbox live players' handbook :p

The abuse I get from my friends is <3.

Ball1e
06-21-2012, 02:27 PM
C+C red alert, i used to get comments all the time on that game. Did'nt matter if i won or lost!?! :confused:

ChickinOnaChain
06-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Assholes abound on the Interwebs but this is why I've never played online with randoms. My less than 5 rep stars show it.

While I haven't had what the OP has happen, when I was in the Gamer Spotlight in '08, I got about 300 messages, most being really good. But about 10% were not. Some saying I was too old to game, one accused me of being a child molester and one wishing I'd "hurry up and die." At the time, I wasn't really in the mindset to report them but I wish I had now.

CHIRUNO99
06-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Public Left 4 Dead in a nutshell.
They'll kick you before you get rescued, then laugh at you for doing it.

Chaz Of Sparta
06-21-2012, 02:47 PM
I got those after playing DiRT 2, I even got avoided for 'Unsporting Conduct' even though I was the one being span out and slammed into walls...which is why I won't play that game anymore.

Scotty
06-21-2012, 03:07 PM
ive only ever gotten hate messages after dominating people, which is strange as i'm shit at all online versus games, and the one time i get a lucky good match, some fool has to express his dis-satisfaction at my once in a blue moon killing skills.

from the OP, i can see originally why, you got the first, ''why did you kill me?'' message, as, if i was on a game and i got killed by a team member, i would be super pissed off, although explaining after why you did it, i would of/he should of thanked you really for saving time, or at least acknowledge why you did it, but to continue being abusive is ridiculous.

honestly, i think it is because you're female. some people are basement dwellers, who are angry at every girl ever because of the general female consensus of the individual in question being a munter(means ugly bastard, in my area:p). so they get some sort of desperate satisfaction out of being abusive to women.

its sad as fuck, really. just rejoice in the fact that this person is a living, breathing example of a fucking loser and who most likely had a little cry after you blocked him, as his attempt at socializing with a female, backfired.:)

Samigi
06-21-2012, 03:12 PM
On Call of Duty if I snipe regularly or 'hard scope' the lobby always send me hateful messages, I don't take it in to consideration as if you were sniping in the war in real life you wouldn't be fucking around quickscoping would you?

AmbaLaBamba
06-21-2012, 03:31 PM
from the OP, i can see originally why, you got the first, ''why did you kill me?'' message, as, if i was on a game and i got killed by a team member, i would be super pissed off, although explaining after why you did it, i would of/he should of thanked you really for saving time, or at least acknowledge why you did it, but to continue being abusive is ridiculous.

I would have sent a message saying too saying 'What are you doing?' but I explained it fully. I mean which one would you rather take?

Route A: Become infected > Wait until you turn to a zombie (which depending on health can take a while) > Wait until you are killed by AI or real people >Respawn

Route B: Become infected > Get Killed > Revive

Route C: Become infected > Try and find anti-virus spray > Spray yourself

See what I mean ;)

mrj3d
06-21-2012, 03:53 PM
The worst thing I can think of that's happened to me was with skate 3. The online was not exactly great with this game, but I wanted a bit more gameplay out of it when I was done. I decided just to play online trying to help others do challenges. I joined countless lobbies only to get kicked. One guy even sent me several messages asking me who I was and to get out of their room.. It infuriated me, if you just want to play with your friends, make it private!!

Suffice to say I stopped trying to help.

sleepydumbdude
06-21-2012, 03:56 PM
I get them in Mass Effect 3 sometimes. Of course its never anyone with a mic in game and I get something typed out after the match is over.
I usually google their SN or go to facebook.com/ whatever xbox SN is and a lot of the times its the right person and I smack talk them back. Most the time I can make fun of the way they look while I am at it. Not about to do it on live and get banned.

Sarsage
06-21-2012, 04:07 PM
In CoD Black Ops I had accumulated around 4 million cod points, and most lobbies I went in I got 'Get a life' and 'Hacker/Cheater' messages before the game even started. I didn't really mind though because it was like a compliment to have done so well to be compared to a cheater.

masterq60
06-21-2012, 05:19 PM
The very worst I have ever had is when I was in a Left 4 Dead LOBBY and I kicked this guy on our team because one of my friends got on and wanted to play with us and after I kicked him once, he no joke said this in a voice a message, (he was british btw), "9/11 was the best thing to happen to America and I hope it happens again!" I think this is the worst thing anyone can say to any American ever so of course I filed a complaint and blocked communications with him. This is when a simple kick gets out of hand, people if you kicked, just join another lobby...

Nevander
06-21-2012, 05:23 PM
I never seem to get hateful messages when gaming online, I guess primarily because I suck at every online game I play. Since I never beat anyone, I never get hated on.

Very rarely I get hate mail because of how bad I am, but that's all in CoD of course with some more than serious teammates.

otaking live
06-21-2012, 05:33 PM
The STANGEST hate messages and lobby room fights I have ever got or heard were from girls. Its the strangest thing ever.

though I don't think anyone has ever given me shit for helping them.

Scotty
06-21-2012, 05:34 PM
I would have sent a message saying too saying 'What are you doing?' but I explained it fully. I mean which one would you rather take?

Route A: Become infected > Wait until you turn to a zombie (which depending on health can take a while) > Wait until you are killed by AI or real people >Respawn

Route B: Become infected > Get Killed > Revive

Route C: Become infected > Try and find anti-virus spray > Spray yourself

See what I mean ;)

oh, no, don't get me wrong. i agree with you. i just meant that if he didn't know that getting killed would be more efficient and got pissed at that, then his first 'don't kill me' message was justified, but to then continue being abusive for no reason, just means he's an arsehole.

as far as why he did it, i'll refer you to the second half of my original post:)

AmbaLaBamba
06-21-2012, 05:36 PM
oh, no, don't get me wrong. i agree with you. i just meant that if he didn't know that getting killed would be more efficient and got pissed at that, then his first 'don't kill me' message was justified, but to then continue being abusive for no reason, just means he's an arsehole.

as far as why he did it, i'll refer you to the second half of my original post:)

You're right :) Some people eh? :p

niko da bos
06-21-2012, 05:57 PM
I pretend I only speak japanese, and they usually don't bother after that. Or I come up with a really weird topic and respond like halfway through a convo they were never part off to confuse them which usually never gets replies either lol

lol yes!!! i started doing that when i get hate messages and it works great. i just spew out random nonsense like that, which leaves them dumbfounded and they usually will just not know how to reply. however, if they are sending some really offensive shit i will usually block communication + file complaint.

i remember one moment that left me laughing pretty hard. i was playing the multiplayer for mass effect, and unfortunately its fairly hard to find good players, even if you are searching in gold or silver lobbies.

i had this lobby where these kids would fall down every round, it gets to the point where i cant revive them nonstop. im trying to play a game, not babysit. and if i risk my life every 30 seconds to get them up, we all lose. needless to say they were doing aweful the whole match, i ended up having to solo clutch several rounds because i was the last man standing. we ended up making it to the extraction and everybody made it. afterwords they voted to kick me, which i thought was absolutely halarious. i wasnt planning on staying with the noobs anyway, but when i saw 1 red X turn into two then three, i was dumbfounded.

"vote to kick because i carried your asses to victory!? lol"

it ended up in a message war back and forth, eventually i just let it be because its not worth the time. honestly, lol you figure those kids would've gotton better by round 8 or 9, when they had to spend 5+ minutes watching me play in spectator mode. but no, they get up at the start of next round, and promptly suck ass again.

CoregBlue1
06-21-2012, 06:02 PM
I pretend I only speak japanese

a guy who wrote me a hate msg after getting his ass kicked in Street fighter x Tekken pretented that suddenly after insulting me first in english.

the reply i got all of sudden looked like this: wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. donīt know whats up with that lol.

atomic viking54
06-21-2012, 06:03 PM
The very worst I have ever had is when I was in a Left 4 Dead LOBBY and I kicked this guy on our team because one of my friends got on and wanted to play with us and after I kicked him once, he no joke said this in a voice a message, (he was british btw), "9/11 was the best thing to happen to America and I hope it happens again!" I think this is the worst thing anyone can say to any American ever so of course I filed a complaint and blocked communications with him. This is when a simple kick gets out of hand, people if you kicked, just join another lobby...

that just reminded me when me and my friends said we were gona kick this kid from a L4D game and he started crying.

McDermott
06-21-2012, 06:37 PM
I sadly get these type of message's almost after every 3-5 games on mw3.

It's sad really to see someone threaten to kill your family or to be called an wanker for playing the game and beating them...

tehapoc
06-21-2012, 06:42 PM
a guy who wrote me a hate msg after getting his ass kicked in Street fighter x Tekken pretented that suddenly after insulting me first in english.

the reply i got all of sudden looked like this: wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. donīt know whats up with that lol.

'w' is like the equivalent of 'lol' in Japan.

CoregBlue1
06-21-2012, 06:45 PM

is that so? interesting.

then this guy was trolling the hell out of me.

tehapoc
06-21-2012, 06:47 PM
Yeah. If you ever get around to a Japanese-based MMORPG, then you'll see your fair share of them.

StayonTarget
I have a video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBV5h6FtQXw&feature=plcp

Spade.
I made it to about round 24-25 in Black Ops Zombie after falling for the first time while everyone else was dead. I got a message from one of the players who fell every round after 17 and got accused of being gay and, get this, resembling a kid in his class who likes cheese...

Barad
06-21-2012, 06:50 PM
I barely get messages from randoms let alone hate message for being polite..really rare. Last I remember was like you mentioned..COD hate for being too awesome. :rolleyes:

1 up
06-21-2012, 07:32 PM
i love getting hate mail.

ExtremeRugburn
06-21-2012, 07:47 PM
When I get messages from people not on my list I just delete them. I used to open them but 99.9% would fit within three categories.
1) Random Friend request
2) Random invite to a game, to join a clan, or join a hacked/glitched lobby
3) Hateful message

I just save myself the time and aggravation by deleting them. Although since you just played with the person I can understand why you would open it. Maybe he was Italian, so in his defense he might have just been pointing out what your name ment so you were aware and he might have been curious as to why someone would name themselves that.

Tsaako
06-21-2012, 08:10 PM
I don't get hateful messages that often since the amount of games I actually play online is low. I've have had the odd 1 or 2 but I just disregard them.

However in my time playing FIFA games I've always had messages from random people recruiting to their own clubs.

I leave it for a day or 2 then I'll send them a message back with the most random things such as. "The yellow bunny jumped over the pink rock".

If they reply back I just explain to them It's nothing personal but if they want to send out random messages to people they don't know, I'm going to do the same.

Opiate42
06-21-2012, 08:16 PM

Will have to remember 3 feet socks, thanks for the chuckle!

Txt msgs over XBL I don't respond to, just block. Over the mic is a different story.

A friend, for reasons all his own, had a curiosity where he tried to learn how to say a phrase in as many languages as possible. That phrase was "How much for 80 chickens?"

I use that now when over the mic with idiots. "Combien de quatre-vingts poulets?" or Purple monkey dishwasher.

My ragemail history in a nutshell:
Playing COD: weekly if not daily garbage msgs.

Playing Battlefield 3: 2 hate msgs since release. Last October.

atomic viking54
06-21-2012, 08:22 PM
shockingly, this only happens when I play Call of Duty.

Hagane
06-22-2012, 12:00 AM
lol, You haven't played enough Gears of War MP if you haven't gotten at least a few hundred hate mails. xD ("Seriously"!)

On COD, it's mostly verbal slander in between rounds or the occasional hate mail. But mostly verbal.

And believe it or not, I got some trash talk on Viva Pinata Party Animals today. :woop: (I honestly chuckled.)

bigbear2face
06-22-2012, 12:06 AM
I was just wondering who gets hateful messages after playing a game when being helpful. The main word there being helpful. I know a lot of you get hateful messages for just playing the games or even dominating in the likes of CoD or Battlefield, but I'm more interested right now about how many of you get hateful messages after being polite, nice and helpful...

Basically I've just been playing RE:ORC and joined someone's game because I need some XP for purchasing all the goodies etc and I was helping he/she along. Anyway, this person got infected and I shot them so I could revive them (this method I find is quicker than searching for an anti-virus, plus they had full health so the turning process would have taken a lot longer). They sent me a message saying "don't kill me" so I replied back with the reason why.

We finished the last mission as they told me which path they wanted to take game wise and I did it, helped them through it and at the end of the game they sent me some more messages, here they are:

"bamba in italian means stupid" to which I replied "And your point here being?"

"your tag is amba the stupid" to which i replied "I hope this makes you feel superior for the next 10 minutes. Thanks :)"

Needless to say instead of going down to their level I just tried to be polite and slightly sarcastic as possible and reported their messages for being hateful and distasteful. All for helping them out though and actually having some knowledge about the game... some people need to a) learn how to play games all the ways they can be played and learn the quick strategies and b) chill out.

But my question stands; have you ever been helpful then been turned on (so to speak)? :)

That just gave me a flashback to using the TK/Revive on people back in the Return to Castle Wolfenstein days on the PC...The way the game was set up if someone had less then half health it was better to TK them then revive if you were a medic because you automatically came back at half-health on revive...Soooooooooo many noobs used to freak out when you used the method on them the first time...If the server was nooby enough you could even end up being kicked out.

V3T Hunter
06-22-2012, 12:29 AM
I used to get hateful messages from people all the time but I haven't lately because I haven't been gaming and I stopped trying to help people as much as I used to.

otaking live
06-22-2012, 12:41 AM
I don't know what some of you people are doing on CoD. I play alot and am quite good. I maybe get a message good or bad every 100 games.

I have to wonder. Do you find you get more hate in one game type? Are you playing alone or in a clan?

Hagane
06-22-2012, 12:47 AM
I don't know what some of you people are doing on CoD. I play alot and am quite good. I maybe get a message good or bad every 100 games.

I have to wonder. Do you find you get more hate in one game type? Are you playing alone or in a clan?

FFA on COD seems to be where I get most of mine, probably because it's "a bit more personal" than other gametypes. I've gotten a few off of SnD too.

I play alone. :p

DragonsGoMOO
06-22-2012, 12:49 AM
I helped with Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, random lobbies, on Expert and Versus Mode, and I still got crap, even thought I was better than them and led them to victory (L4D was my WoW addiction).

As soon as I can't save someone that ONE time, they all vote to kick me, even though they left my ass behind and I was right next to them with minimal zombies around.

Neverender
06-22-2012, 01:09 AM
It only happens to me on the zombie mode on Call of Duty. I try to help people survive, most of the time they don't have mics and just run out and get themselves killed, occasionally they'll tell me to eff off. And I've had so many people kill crawlers on me when I've said "Don't kill the crawler!"...

Cmpunk
06-22-2012, 01:12 AM
Certain people are immature and hate losing. Heck this guy sent me two messages and one voice message saying he'll kill me, cut my legs off like a "turtle"?, and punch me out before he kills me because I defeated him in Blazblue Extend. His voice sounded very creepy like and he wasn't trollin' because his voice had anger within it and a slow devious tone. He said I had roughly a month to live and he'd get me at night.. I actually humored him though and took pictures of the messages showing multiple people. Don't believe me? His name is CA Butler. Creepy guy. Avoid. I believe he has youtube videos on him of people beating him then rages.

Hagane
06-22-2012, 01:34 AM
Certain people are immature and hate losing. Heck this guy sent me two messages and one voice message saying he'll kill me, cut my legs off like a "turtle"?, and punch me out before he kills me because I defeated him in Blazblue Extend. His voice sounded very creepy like and he wasn't trollin' because his voice had anger within it and a slow devious tone. He said I had roughly a month to live and he'd get me at night.. I actually humored him though and took pictures of the messages showing multiple people. Don't believe me? His name is CA Butler. Creepy guy. Avoid. I believe he has youtube videos on him of people beating him then rages.

Huh. Most of the people I get on BlazBlue are actually awesome, probably the second best community other than Operation Raccoon City to be honest. xD (Well, from my experience anyway.)

Must've been pretty weird to get such a message though O_o

Cmpunk
06-22-2012, 02:36 AM
Huh. Most of the people I get on BlazBlue are actually awesome, probably the second best community other than Operation Raccoon City to be honest. xD (Well, from my experience anyway.)

Must've been pretty weird to get such a message though O_o

Eh. Some arrogant people but overall a good community! A few bad eggs like CA Butler but fun. If you have Extend I'd like a good match. :P. Usually play for fun so I dislike arrogant/bitter people.

Iceskater101
06-22-2012, 02:40 AM
honestly I could care less about people who send me messages that are hateful. I just delete them and move on. Some people are huge jerks.

Hagane
06-22-2012, 02:42 AM
Eh. Some arrogant people but overall a good community! A few bad eggs like CA Butler but fun. If you have Extend I'd like a good match. :P. Usually play for fun so I dislike arrogant/bitter people.

Haha, yeah. Maybe these days when you find some good people you tend to forget about the rest of the chaff xD (Which is actually a good trait, I suppose. It can make your gaming experience a bit better, and well... lessen the feelings from those "other" types of people.)

I'm terrible at Extend :Bounce: Noobel to the max! ;)

Latony99
06-22-2012, 02:43 AM
How would you even pronounce "wwwwwww"? Would you even pronounce that?

LocK iT
06-22-2012, 02:46 AM
The Halo Community, good GOD I've never encountered such a gratuitous bunch of cretins before. I don't hate teabagging; if someone does it to me at the start of a game then I'll proceed to do it to them if I manage to kill them several times during the match. What I'll never understand is why the person would then send abusive messages post-game. They're probably just dumbfounded by my profound, unadulterated skill on Halo*

*note: I am absolutely joking.

The Guitar Hero community is a little better - I've only received ~5 hate messages after whooping someone at Through the Fire and Flames; the often-sung "play a real guitar" or "no life" ones commonly found in youtube comments. That's a very astute observation, Mr only-just-post-pubescent teen, but my lifestyle at university suggests something contrary to your assumptions.

TheRedComet
06-22-2012, 03:10 AM
The STANGEST hate messages and lobby room fights I have ever got or heard were from girls. Its the strangest thing ever.

though I don't think anyone has ever given me shit for helping them.

This.

I don't get a lot of hatemail, but for whatever reason when the haters first get in a lobby they immediately target me. Dude I've never seen you before ever, WTF is the problem?

Cmpunk
06-22-2012, 03:51 AM
Haha, yeah. Maybe these days when you find some good people you tend to forget about the rest of the chaff xD (Which is actually a good trait, I suppose. It can make your gaming experience a bit better, and well... lessen the feelings from those "other" types of people.)

I'm terrible at Extend :Bounce: Noobel to the max! ;)

Agreed. Message Faded Edge <-- Even if you're terrible we can still try. I'm training with Piscies Albafica today. Anyways back on topic.

InsulinShaman
06-22-2012, 04:33 AM
People are stupid, it's never going to change. I simply block communications with anyone who sends a message like that.

this is the answer

StayonTarget
06-22-2012, 06:32 AM
shockingly, this only happens when I play Call of Duty.

But not Halo? Hmmm...

I mak3 big boom
06-22-2012, 07:15 AM
Last time this happened was on Battlefield in Hardcore. I accidentally killed my teammate so he decided to send me a message. I proceeded to murder him 4 more times till I got kicked from the game. Worth it