PDA

View Full Version : Best Kinect game for losing weight/working out?

iheardUrip1
06-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Been looking for a kinect title to work out with. I was thinking UFC Personal Trainer because it looks like a tough workout (which is good considering I need to lose some weight now while I'm still in my 20's) but I was browsing through the forums and it seems like a hit and miss. Still interested though, but are there any games like that that you would recommend for losing weight/working out?

Even if it's like Kinect Sports or Fighters Uncaged. Whatever you think helps/has helped.

Thanks in advance!

HuskyHuscarl
06-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Kinect adventures, its probably not the best game for working out but... Because of the amount of jumping that you'd do and stuff after a few games, I think its pretty good for certain types of exercise!

iTs xLuiGi
06-23-2012, 03:30 PM
i would honestly suggest just doing some of the dancing games. you're staying active. the workout specific games don't always track right, and it really is hit or miss. really just causes more frustration than anything most of the time. at least with dancing games, you're still getting a decent workout, having a little bit of fun, and even if it does mess up tracking, you just replay the song and move on with your day.

Skorpion XBA
06-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Most kinect games are a workout for me. But Jillian Michaels was the game that kicked my ass the most.

Kinkimono
06-24-2012, 01:29 PM
I haven't tried UFC yet saving it for after the summer. I have tried both Your Shape games, Get Fit With Mel B, Jillian Michaels and EA Sports Active 2 and for me since I have a problem with getting started and beeing motivated to train EA Sports Active 2 was the best since the 9 week program kept me going. Be warned tho that you can't get 100% in that game anymore. Your Shape 2012 have good workouts but you have to constantly pick workouts yourself and I found it hard to know when to switch and if I'd be able to properly do a workout or not. Jillian Michaels Adventure mode was fairly hard but I wasn't very motivated to go back to it after I got the achievements due to bad tracking forcing you to do workouts the wrong way (might just be my gaming area tho dunno) Get Fit With Mel B isn't a bad game but it doesn't really push you, you do sweat but you don't really get tired from it.

So my advice is to look what you _need_ from a training game since they all work a bit different.

VitaminAmy
06-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Your Shape is really good... but I have the most fun with Dance Central as far as getting a good workout. I have Jillian but haven't tried it yet (not enough room).

Xtowers
06-25-2012, 01:23 AM
Kinect Adventures was fun and a decent workout. Dance Central is pretty good, too. It has a calorie burned counter. Plus you learn some sweet dance moves! Torcht it! Torh it!

Fixelbucket
06-25-2012, 02:06 AM
Haven't tried that many yet but of the ones I tried I found Zumba Fitness Rush to be a real b***h. The songs are quite long which makes even the shortest program deadly for me :)

CHIRUNO99
06-25-2012, 07:55 AM
All of them, I presume.
If it wears you out it must be good for exercise.

Blackest Metal
06-25-2012, 02:46 PM
I lost around 60lbs playing Fitness Evolved (then Fitness Evolved 2) for 6 months and cutting out one bad snack a day, didnt change up anything else. Happy days

STLfan2468
06-25-2012, 08:45 PM
I really want to play UFC Personal Trainer after reading so many testimonials, but the fact that it has an glitched/unobtainable achievement turns me off.

Chaz Of Sparta
06-26-2012, 07:03 PM
I'd say the Kinect Sports and Dance Central games. :)

d3v11s adv0cat
06-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Most kinect games are a workout for me. But Jillian Michaels was the game that kicked my ass the most.
i agree there is another one out called the biggest loser ultimate workout really can give you a run for your money

sco0ter
07-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Must agree with The biggest loser. Can be customised a LOT and games and challenges added in can give a good break from just exercise.

AvastMatey
07-02-2012, 08:10 PM
The achievements are a pain, but I really like UFC Trainer for my morning workouts.

mrj3d
07-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Out of the games I have, any of them give me a workout. I think Your Shape Fitness Evolved is probably the most pinpointed towards calorie loss, but I often play Kinect Sports or Adventures for something a bit more fun and always move and jump around.

DeepInfern0
07-02-2012, 11:25 PM
I would of thought Fitness style games would allow you to lose weight in general. Other games could be useful too, like Dance Central, Kinect Adventures(?) etc.

yourbreakfast99
07-02-2012, 11:27 PM

Lol, i would definetly recommend that game

hatesgames
07-05-2012, 05:03 PM
...the dancing games are probably good. I think that when they get just a bit better tech or software, so that the fighting/boxing type games actually work, a lot more people will get into motion gaming.

AmbaLaBamba
07-05-2012, 05:09 PM
...the dancing games are probably good. I think that when they get just a bit better tech or software, so that the fighting/boxing type games actually work, a lot more people will get into motion gaming.

You should play UFC Personal Trainer, that's a fantastic game. You can't fight exactly but the sparing and punchbag workouts are the bomb, the closest they've come to perfection fighting wise in a Kinect game so far.

Phantasystar77
07-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Kinect Sports gives you a darn good workout. I would also have to say Sonic Freeriders does a darn good job of it too.

Adork4ble
07-17-2012, 06:47 PM
I go to Dance Central 2, Kinect Sports and Your Shape for my workouts. I'm also real eager to try out Zumba Rush and Nike+ Kinect Training when it's out.

I tried Jillian but it didn't really work too well, I assumed it just blew at picking things up all that well but since others liked it maybe it was due to my space, so I guess I should try it again.

JASON12
07-26-2012, 05:54 AM
Hi friends !!! Hey so I have finally had enough of being overweight and I have a few resources at home and I just wondered what sort of exercises routine I should do around my work schedule. i have never done a serious work out before but i want to change that. i recently used my game for the xbox kinect and i think i done it wrong because i done squats without warming up properly and now i cant even walk, sit down, go up down the stairs without being in extreme pain...

HwCh
07-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Hi friends !!! Hey so I have finally had enough of being overweight and I have a few resources at home and I just wondered what sort of exercises routine I should do around my work schedule. i have never done a serious work out before but i want to change that. i recently used my game for the xbox kinect and i think i done it wrong because i done squats without warming up properly and now i cant even walk, sit down, go up down the stairs without being in extreme pain...

Great question! I can answer it from very personal experience.

I think the first important thing is that you have to be committed to changing your lifestyle. For me, I was skipping breakfast, running the the local food truck for lunch, and stuffing myself late at night with a huge dinner. I'd exercise 30 minutes a day and wonder why the heck I wasn't losing any weight.

I went on one of those diet programs. They're all pretty bad in terms of food, but what I like is that they teach you good habits. I forced myself to eat five meals a day, all very light. It's counterintuitive, but doing this helped improve my metabolism, which meant workouts were all the more effective. I threw in some weight training as well.

The Kinect has been a big part of it. I like this list of the best Kinect fitness games (http://www.xboxfitness.org/best-kinect-fitness-games/), although there are plenty of other great sites out there that give good advice. In the past Kung Fu High Impact has been by far the best fitness game for me. I could play it every day.

Sadly, KFHI isn't supported by the Kinect PlayFit, and lately I've grown addicted to tracking my progress on that. So what I do is I just mix up the games every day. I'll do Kinect Sports 2 one day, Star Wars Kinect the next day, Dance Central, etc. The key isn't really what game to play, just choosing games that elevate your heart rate for a sustained 20-30 minutes a day for at least 4-5 days a week.

I'll be honest, I bought The Biggest Loser and Your Shape, but my attention span is such that I get really bored really fast with them. If you're disciplined, they're the most efficient workouts. But I tend to stick with "fun" games. They provide a little less of a cardio workout, so I just play them a little longer (one caveat is that PlayFit calorie tracking trusts whatever the game tells it, so don't necessarily trust the calorie count, just trust how much you're sweating and your heart is racing).

As for the pain you're feeling, if it's a shooting pain or intense persistent pain, you might want to see a doctor for advice. On the other hand, if it's extreme soreness that clears up over a day or two, that's actually a very good thing. It means that your muscles are being used, and the soreness is your body repairing them. My best advice is to just start slowly, and then work your way to the more intense exercises.

The most important thing is commitment. You need to force yourself to do it every day, no matter what's on TV that night, no matter how tired you are mentally. Stick with it, and I guarantee you will see progress. We're all rooting for you :)

Dalek Nation
07-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Kinect Adventures obstacle course is more difficult ('moves' you more) than any of the other mini-game compilations. I think its way better than Downhill Dodge on Kin Sports2.
Your Shape'12 is great; not nearly as 'squat' heavy as the first one. I use PlayFit, and the top burners on my friends list all play Dance Central 2, so there must be something to that.

DarkRaver72
08-09-2012, 09:01 AM
I just started with Kinect Adventures. After playing for half an hour :Bounce: I am pretty tired. It is better than sitting on the couch!

Maybe I'll buy the fitness game as well...

wheeler8106
08-14-2012, 04:17 AM
Anyone having issues with the original zumba fitness not going past the first screen?

volcanogirl73
08-18-2012, 08:03 PM

I have to agree! I use the Dance Central Games, the My Shape Fitness Evolved 2012 (warning...the calorie counter is not very accurate) and the Kinect Adventures. If you are needing to count the calories you burn, I would suggest getting your own device as many of the in-game counters are not accurate.

I do have to say, the Biggest Looser game does live up to the name. Getting yelled at when you slow or stop cracks me up!

athaby
08-28-2012, 12:12 AM
I think standing and jumping in the room for 30 minutes or more .. that what u need :]
for me kinetic adventure is too good for enjoying and move my body little bit ..

InterpolDude
09-03-2012, 01:00 AM
I reckon that you would probably get in better shape if you were to go to the gym or purchase some equipment for your home, that's just my opinion anyway.

Blackest Metal
09-03-2012, 09:19 PM
I reckon that you would probably get in better shape if you were to go to the gym or purchase some equipment for your home, that's just my opinion anyway.

My buddy pays around 25 bucks a month for the gym, I bought two xbox games and some dumbells and im actually in better shape than him after a year of us doing them

ryu2050
09-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Dance central 1 and 2 worked wonders for me I have kinect since launch and have only three kinect games kinect adeventutes and d.c 1 and 2
I lost around 25 kg in 18 months and used to play these games regularly for at least 1 hour without following any diet!!!

SweptbackFlame
09-20-2012, 12:08 AM
I'm going to say that nike one that is coming out it going to be boss for this sort of thing

ExKiba
09-25-2012, 05:56 PM
I love the dancing games, but I've tried Your Shape 2012 which is also pretty good. I like having the variety so I don't get bored doing the same workout over and over again.

Megatron217
09-27-2012, 07:13 PM
i find dance central works pretty good. fun too:locked

Transistors
09-28-2012, 02:05 AM
They really need to make a p90x or insanity game that measures your progress, does an approximate calorie count and keeps track of your form. Could be a killer app for something like kinect.

TheRequiem95
10-01-2012, 03:56 PM
I've put weights on my wrists while playing Fruit Ninja. Start with 1-pound weights and move up to 2 pounds when 1 pound gets easy. It sounds odd, but you will wear your shoulders out! Just know your limits and don't push yourself too hard.

Ev0 Fir3 2009
10-04-2012, 09:29 AM
usually any game would work as long as ur moving around

Katten
10-11-2012, 09:24 AM
I'd recommend Your Shape as well as Dance Central. Especially the latter is a lot of fun and calorie burning is a nice side effect.

JAW LV
10-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Kinect + loosing weight= good luck.

Then again I've never touched a Kinect so what do I know. What I do know is real results only come from both exercise and eating clean. How you get your exercise is your own deal regardless if its with a Kinect, going to a gym, doing home video work outs with Gillian etc.

Either way if your truly wanting to loose weight you need to set a goal, get a plan and then execute. Another way I like to say it: A goal without a plan is just a wish :)

Drewdude1023
10-13-2012, 01:42 AM
Abstinence is key my friend.

thashadyone
10-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Nike+Trainer looks like it'll be good. I like the fact that Nike+ keeps track of your activity through their own site. On the demo, I had some problems with the tracking. But I think that once I actually play it at my house, it could help out a bit.

JAW LV
10-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Nike+Trainer looks like it'll be good. I like the fact that Nike+ keeps track of your activity through their own site. On the demo, I had some problems with the tracking. But I think that once I actually play it at my house, it could help out a bit.

I used Nike+ for about a month and it just crapped out on me. Doing research I found that it wasn't just me, alot of people have issues with Nike+ software compatibility. Nike+ works just fine on my iPod but when I go to sync up my activities to the Nike+ website it errors out on me. I tried a couple different things to fix it but nothing worked. Eventually I just gave up, I'm not a computer wiz so what do I know??? I contact tech support and they basically just blew me off and said it was my computer.

I just got my first smart phone the other week, ya I know welcome to the 21st century. Anyways, I think there are much better apps out there to use I just haven't had the time to research the subject further. If you find something that works feel free to share :)

thashadyone
10-16-2012, 07:01 PM
I've only used the Nike+ app on my iPhone. It's pretty consistent, I believe but I'm not keeping manual track of the miles I run either. Nike is really making a push to get people tuned into this program. If you've got a couple hundred dollars to blow, you can get sensors in your shoes. I'm not going to go that far.

JAW LV
10-16-2012, 09:59 PM
I've only used the Nike+ app on my iPhone. It's pretty consistent

Ahhhh that could be my problem right there, the iPod I have is a 4th generation Nano, software is probably shit.

Creetsher
10-24-2012, 12:49 PM
I recommend UTC Personal Trainer. I tried many different (Your Shape, Dance Central, etc.) this one I find the most fun and challenging.

WhatThaDuece
10-24-2012, 01:22 PM
From the games I have played, Kinect Star Wars has you flailing limbs to the point where it gets tiring pretty quickly.

BusiedQuasar3
10-24-2012, 07:27 PM
i would honestly suggest just doing some of the dancing games. you're staying active. the workout specific games don't always track right, and it really is hit or miss. really just causes more frustration than anything most of the time. at least with dancing games, you're still getting a decent workout, having a little bit of fun, and even if it does mess up tracking, you just replay the song and move on with your day.
yes
dancing game can be good for fitness

dancing game like dance central 1,2

DUV3ND0R
10-25-2012, 07:35 AM
What I do know is real results only come from both exercise and eating clean.

A goal without a plan is just a wish :)

Thatīs the unquestionable truth! I totally agree with you!

:Bounce: or :woop: a lot and eating "fast food" allday basis doesnīt get you anywhere...LOL

Danny the hero
10-30-2012, 10:50 PM
UFC personal trainer was a good game, I think I may have lost a couple pounds, definitely helped my cardio, was fun too! Only problem was I got discouraged because while doing workouts my kinect would no longer be able to recognize me. (I guess it's because I was only like 8 feet away from the kinect, and apparently I have to be like 14..)

The game is great, If I move out soon, I'm going to make sure the house I move into has a room big enough to support kinect, I think it has lots of potential... :)

Zinnwick
11-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Kinect Sports and Kinect Adventures are pretty lame, and Your Shape is honestly targeted more towards women (ball breaker and the generic boxing exercises get old quick). Honestly one of the most fun games for Kinect that I wanted to come back to was Rise of Nightmares. It is awful, yes. But if you can watch B movies you can play RoN and it will have you hacking and slashing for hours. (:

Linx Flame
11-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Dance Central is definitely the best workout for me personally because I used to dance. I think if dance is one of your interests it's probably one of the best games to play because it's more fun than work- it's easier to motivate yourself if it's something fun.

hoferchr
11-05-2012, 03:50 AM
I have used a combination of Kinect titles such as the "Dance Central" games (especially DC2 and DC3 because they track calories and work with the free Kinect PlayFit app). I have also used "Your Shape Fitness Evolved" and "YSFE 2012". I really like those two titles, but both have several noticable bugs that Ubisoft just doesn't seem to want to fix (even though I've reported some of the errors multiple times). I pre-ordered "Nike+ Kinect Training" from the Microsoft Store website recently after trying out the demo. I really liked it, so I am excited to try out a new set of workouts using "Nike+ Kinect Training". I also downloaded the free iPhone app which will connect with "Nike+ Kinect Training". Hoping for good things out of this one!

OcR Prunk
11-06-2012, 07:12 PM
I really want to play UFC Personal Trainer after reading so many testimonials, but the fact that it has an glitched/unobtainable achievement turns me off.

a single glitched achievement isnt a good enough reason to not pick up a game 8P

Workout games are supposed to work you out. not boost ur Gamerscore.. however the GS is a plus :)

Paul Zap
11-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Kinect Adventures.

spankysbbq
11-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Since this thread isnt completely dead yet, I'll chime in. I've found that running through the Reflex Ridge levels 2 times is a good cardio workout if you actually get into it. Jump when you are on the lifts and at every opportunity. It won't take too long but will certainly get the heart rate up.

I am looking forward to checking out the Nike game and Zumba. It will be ugly. Very ugly. :)

TTricky
11-28-2012, 08:57 PM
I love the dancing games, but I've tried Your Shape 2012 which is also pretty good. I like having the variety so I don't get bored doing the same workout over and over again.

I'm in the same boat. I have a few fitness-style games (Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012, Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout, Just Dance 3). I'd say the fitness ones themselves are more geared towards actual fitness - but they get REALLY boring if you play the same one over and over again.

I'd recommend having a selection and mixing up your routine. Variety keeps your interest up and will prevent you from stopping in future due to boredom.

If you want only 1 - My favourite would be Fitness Evolved due to the variety it has within it. I'd go for that.

spankysbbq
11-29-2012, 12:06 AM
They really need to make a p90x or insanity game that measures your progress, does an approximate calorie count and keeps track of your form. Could be a killer app for something like kinect.

I'd be in for that. Especially if you get the t-shirt if it's an Insanity game. :)

I just picked up Nike+ Kinect today and the first workout was pretty good. It certainly kicked my tail, but I'm a pack and a half a day smoker and haven't really done any exercise for over a year aside from the odd mile or so run once in a while. I can see this one being fun enough with the different exercises and challenges. You just need an appropriate place to pllay. It is perfect for people like me who are a little self conscious at the local gym.

eagerechidna
12-27-2012, 05:02 PM
In trying most of the workout games, I found that Nike+ has worked the best because it has kept me the most motivated. The four-week schedule that it uses is a good way to track progress better than most of the other games. You don't have to link it to your other Nike+ activities; it does function as a stand-alone exercise program. However, the "fun" level on this game is generally pretty low. If you're looking for something with a little more entertainment quality, the Dance Central series, as many other have suggested, is a great way to get up and active.

tmnterminator
12-31-2012, 10:42 PM
In trying most of the workout games, I found that Nike+ has worked the best because it has kept me the most motivated. The four-week schedule that it uses is a good way to track progress better than most of the other games. You don't have to link it to your other Nike+ activities; it does function as a stand-alone exercise program. However, the "fun" level on this game is generally pretty low. If you're looking for something with a little more entertainment quality, the Dance Central series, as many other have suggested, is a great way to get up and active.

I got Nike this Christmas and am pretty stoked to get started with it. Should start it shortly after the new year.

raimic
01-01-2013, 06:36 PM
EA Sports Active 2. An old one, but good one. Nike Training sounds good, but haven't tried it yet.

BooseyGirl
01-03-2013, 10:04 PM
I have Your Shape and Dance Central. I'm planning on buying the new Your Shape and Dance Central pretty soon. I find that I enjoyed these two games the most for my work-out based needs. I already do Zumba at home, but I'm actually interested in trying the Kinect version out to see if it's any good.

otimothy
01-04-2013, 04:14 AM
Anyone tried the new Nike+ kinect? Wondering how well it works

Tal
01-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Anyone tried the new Nike+ kinect? Wondering how well it works

I've been pretty satisfied with it. It has a good overall training design, and it seems to track ground exercises, like pushups, better than either YSFE or EA Sports Active (the only other two Kinect workout programs I have experience with).

To me, the strong suit for all of these Kinect programs is the cardio, and that's mostly what I use them for. The Nike workouts can get repetitive, but that's just kind of the nature of workouts of any sort. I like to go back and forth between Nike and YSFE for variety.

Venomyuc
01-06-2013, 09:21 AM
definitely the dance games.Others kinda bit slow.

RodMex2894
01-11-2013, 12:53 AM
I'll go For Kinect Sports (both) and Kinect adventures in some activities

Eternaldarknss
01-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Dance central hands down.

Painstation
01-20-2013, 07:17 AM
I haven't played many fitness games, so I can't say which one is the best, but Nike+ Kinect Training is great at least. I feel exhausted and sweaty as hell after each workout. My girlfriend loves Zumba Fitness Rush, but I'd feel too embaressed dancing :)

EvilStick91
01-22-2013, 11:45 PM
I recently had a go on the UFC Trainer game and man did i sweat balls, really tough workout, gonna move some stuff around in one of the rooms and have that as my Kinect workout room ;P

Fire Nation
02-08-2013, 11:14 AM
NOt gonna lie... but Just Dance 4 is alot of fun and they have workout category that will have you sweating like crazy!

Twalorn
02-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Well even if i share an opinion about going to an actual gym... a workout can be fun too so i can recommend

kinect adventures
[insert dance title here]
wasnt there supposed to be a kinect fit feature for gold members?

Mr Snict
02-15-2013, 12:10 AM
UFC undisputed I would go with. It has my seal of approval just as it actually has a warm up routine(which some of them dont. Seriously WTF)

ashleary
02-16-2013, 10:41 AM
I agree with the UFC undisputed suggestion. Its a good workout. You can track your progress very well and it has a variety of exercises, cardio, strength and conditioning and various levels of difficulty.

Jhokkaha
02-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Would agree with dancing games, Dance Central really got the heart pumping after a few songs!