PDA

View Full Version : New type of stackable games soon?

Coldgears
06-24-2012, 03:06 AM
For those that don't know, a stackable game is where you can play the same game twice, and get the achievements twice.

Examples of current stackable games:

Different regions when the gamer differs (Like SoF: Payback, certain version did not have blood. Or, german versions of world war 2 games, with the nazi signs removed)

PC games that can't play against 360 users.

GOTY editions (such as batman arkham asylum is the only example)

Anyway, lets look at previous generations.

When the playstation 2 was released, many new games were released for both the playstation 1 and 2.

More recently, when the 360 and ps3 was released, they still made games for the ps2 and original xbox. In fact, they still made original xbox ports up until 2007! It just makes sense, because many people didn't upgrade to the new xbox.

So, let's say they make a new Lego game (Let's say...Lego: Pirates of the carribean 2), they would quickly throw together an hd version and port it to the 720 (All launch titles are shoddy ports... They NEVER make full use of the new hardware) but they would also release it on the 360 because it's just more profitable to tap the already huge market (Bigger than the 720) for money.

Assuming that your gamertag/gamerscore will carry over to the new xbox (IT DAMN WELL BETTER!) shouldn't the 720 and 360 versions of the game have different achievement lists?

Wouldn't that be awesome? Every single game that gets a 360 AND 720 release you could double-up on?

Anyone else see this as a possibility?:)

TyrannoSpank
06-24-2012, 03:25 AM
I dislike the idea pf stackable games like that. If its the same game except diff language or region or some small diffrrence like no blood then i think they should all have 1 set of achievements shared between em. If you had 2000 gamerscore, and it was from the same game played twice, seems a bit dumb and half of the score seems pointless for having done the same thing twice.

Fire Hawk D
06-24-2012, 03:26 AM
Assuming that your gamertag/gamerscore will carry over to the new xbox (IT DAMN WELL BETTER!)...

SOOO bugs me when people say things like this. LIVE is getting integrated into Windows 8, it's on the mobile platforms...it's not going anywhere anytime soon (if ever). =P

Anyway...yeah, I suppose that is a pretty interesting possibility. Though, they could code it to only allow one iteration of dual-platform games in the manner you speak of. Since LIVE is everywhere, wouldn't be hard to patch the 360 to recognize when you have a game that's also on the next Microsoft console, and vice-versa.

I dislike the idea pf stackable games like that. If its the same game except diff language or region or some small diffrrence like no blood then i think they should all have 1 set of achievements shared between em. If you had 2000 gamerscore, and it was from the same game played twice, seems a bit dumb and half of the score seems pointless for having done the same thing twice.

That's assuming the person doing it cares about gamerscore at all.

KillerBEA
06-24-2012, 03:42 AM

All stacking is another extreme of whoring achievements, some people are willing to go further then others.

Achievement lists can differ from version to version ie Gears of War 2 and Wanted.

Regarding the thread topic I do like the idea behind it but honestly most of the dual releases would probably be 1 list.

Skillet
06-24-2012, 04:09 AM
For those that don't know, a stackable game is where you can play the same game twice, and get the achievements twice.

Examples of current stackable games:

Different regions when the gamer differs (Like SoF: Payback, certain version did not have blood. Or, german versions of world war 2 games, with the nazi signs removed)

PC games that can't play against 360 users.

GOTY editions (such as batman arkham asylum is the only example)

Anyway, lets look at previous generations.

When the playstation 2 was released, many new games were released for both the playstation 1 and 2.

More recently, when the 360 and ps3 was released, they still made games for the ps2 and original xbox. In fact, they still made original xbox ports up until 2007! It just makes sense, because many people didn't upgrade to the new xbox.

So, let's say they make a new Lego game (Let's say...Lego: Pirates of the carribean 2), they would quickly throw together an hd version and port it to the 720 (All launch titles are shoddy ports... They NEVER make full use of the new hardware) but they would also release it on the 360 because it's just more profitable to tap the already huge market (Bigger than the 720) for money.

Assuming that your gamertag/gamerscore will carry over to the new xbox (IT DAMN WELL BETTER!) shouldn't the 720 and 360 versions of the game have different achievement lists?

Wouldn't that be awesome? Every single game that gets a 360 AND 720 release you could double-up on?

Anyone else see this as a possibility?:)

Name a single 360 launch title that was a port. Let a lone a shoddy one.

Sure, they don't use the full power of the console, but that's the "problem" with every new console. Games that use the console's hardware more efficiently will always be released a couple years after the console's release.

So apparently, you don't know what a port is.

At any rate, I currently haven't taken advantage of any stackable games, and really, why would I want to? I don't care enough about the number tacked onto my gamertag to unlock achievements more than once.

Rums
06-24-2012, 12:14 PM
At any rate, I currently haven't taken advantage of any stackable games, and really, why would I want to?
I had the same thought when I first read this, but now I'm thinking a Jap version of Borderlands would be pretty sweet to have in my collection.

I'm sure a lot of people would agree with my sentiment, here. I can imagine other games may hold the same nostalgia and it goes without saying others would follow suit. Surely there is one game you've played with this kind of draw.

hydrosugar
06-24-2012, 12:23 PM
I can see it happening. They were releasing things like FIFA on PS2 well into PS3's lifecycle. I'm not so sure the 360 will have that kind of staying power, but it'll last longer than the original xbox. Though it doesn't concern me either way. Ive had games ive played more than once. But ive never felt the need to buy another version of it to do so for achievements. I'd rather use that money on new games.

Fire Hawk D
06-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Name a single 360 launch title that was a port. Let a lone a shoddy one.

I don't know about "shoddy", but GUN, Tony Hawk's American Wasteland, and Call of Duty 2 were all "ports" more or less. Heck, while Madden NFL 06 was updated on the 360, it lacked features of the PS2 and Xbox versions.

But, as mentioned, this is a "problem" with every new console. Look at the 3DS. It's just finally starting to pick up steam.

mrj3d
06-24-2012, 11:43 PM
I can see it happening. They were releasing things like FIFA on PS2 well into PS3's lifecycle. I'm not so sure the 360 will have that kind of staying power, but it'll last longer than the original xbox. Though it doesn't concern me either way. Ive had games ive played more than once. But ive never felt the need to buy another version of it to do so for achievements. I'd rather use that money on new games.

Ya, agreed. I have sometimes double dipped on buying the PS3 version, but that's been more so I can get more enjoyment out of the game rather than whoring it.

KnucklesV6
07-02-2012, 07:05 PM
I dislike the idea of stackable games. I just do not like the look of it on a profile!

Crypt
07-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Depending if the game is really good, I will play it on Xbox 360 first, then wait for a super sale and buy the PC version and play that too. Did that with Batman and oddly enough, James Bond

nevermindaboutme
07-04-2012, 10:12 PM
It could be a possibility - Fifa 13 for example is getting released on PS2, so you never know :)

Though Fifa would be a pain to do on the 360 and the next console aha

DragonsGoMOO
07-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Waste of money and time. You only live once, and such a short life it is.

Gackt
07-05-2012, 12:41 AM
Waste of money and time. You only live once, and such a short life it is.

Nothing is a waste of money if you enjoy doing it.