PDA

View Full Version : Is this just stupid or is it just me? (Free 1 month Gold trial related)

iheardUrip1
06-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Ok. So I bought a new console around 3 weeks ago and I was talking to somebody on Xbox Support when they said I had to register my console and after that, I could have 1 month Gold free trails for up to 3 new users on the console.

So today I created a new account and it offered me the 1 month Gold trial, but unfortunately it wanted me to add Paypal and Credit Card details. (I have Paypal but no credit card - and these days, according to Xbox you need to have a credit card linked to your Paypal to purchase anything through Xbox Live)

I go online and talk to somebody on Xbox Support and ask them more about it. They say if you do not enter a credit card to your Xbox account or your Paypal, you can not get the 1 month Gold FREE trial.

Is it just me or is that just absolutely stupid? I remember years ago when you didn't need anything to get the free 1 month trials except for filling in your Billing details.

Sorry for venting, but well... yeah.

LankstaTDOT
06-24-2012, 10:03 AM
You mean you get gold for a month when you purchase a new console? I thought it's for anyone with new accounts. And when I bought the slim I already had gold but my brother didn't and he never got a gold trial for a month nor did did it ever ask me to enter any of my credit card info to get the 1 month free gold.

iheardUrip1
06-24-2012, 10:08 AM
You mean you get gold for a month when you purchase a new console? I thought it's for anyone with new accounts. And when I bought the slim I already had gold but my brother didn't and he never got a gold trial for a month nor did did it ever ask me to enter any of my credit card info to get the 1 month free gold.

Yeah. Apparently with the purchase of a new Xbox console, you can have 1 month free gold for up to 3 users (they have to be silver and I guess brand new accounts)

CaLL Me Shaq x
06-24-2012, 03:24 PM
It is stupid, because I've done it on an account and after the free month has ran out they automatically take money off for the next month, unless you turn off auto renewal, about 18 months ago you didn't have to enter your details but too many people were creating free accounts and using them for boosting and other stuff, so I guess it's xbox not wanting to be ripped off

Burnout x360a
06-24-2012, 03:46 PM
They added the 'credit card required for the 1 month trial' with the Feb 16th update.

http://gyazo.com/8c4e833c2f99583a60449945dcedd7f5.png?1340552132

hydrosugar
06-24-2012, 04:40 PM
You need a credit card for everything now. I had to share my brothers iTunes account because they needed a credit card to start a new one. (I suppose it's not that bad as we get anything the other has for free.) I remembered creating separate accounts to take full advantage of the free gold when I first got my 360. In fact "hydrosugar" was one of those Gold whoring accounts. Good times...

DJConnelly
06-24-2012, 04:49 PM
I love the old have a free trial but we just need your credit card details first. Was gonna sign up with Netflix but it said exactly that. I think it automatically starts you on a paying account if you don't cancel it at the end of the trial. I know I'd just forget.

AmbaLaBamba
06-24-2012, 06:53 PM
I love the old have a free trial but we just need your credit card details first. Was gonna sign up with Netflix but it said exactly that. I think it automatically starts you on a paying account if you don't cancel it at the end of the trial. I know I'd just forget.

These are my thoughts exactly, they do it with a lot of things that require a subscription (had to do it with LoveFilm). I tried the Netflix trial too, remembered to cancel the day before I had to start paying again. ;)

Wildmn34
06-24-2012, 07:19 PM

That's it in a nutshell. They dangle the carrot in front of you (1 free month of live) and hope that you either a) like it so much you continue at a stupid price $9.99 a month I think or b) that you forget about canceling, give them the sub and just think it's too much hassle to cancel.

Personally, I'll never link a CC to my Xbox account. I am a 100% pre paid code guy.

Tsaako
06-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Not sure what happened or when it got enforced etc, but years back I made the most of my free gold trials on separate accounts and didn't have to put any of my card details.

Akuza
06-24-2012, 08:16 PM
yeah i would summise its to keep people from just constantly creating new tags to get a month free on xbox live, when they run into a "dry patch" on their actual tag.

personally ive been through 3 different xbox's before this one...each giving me 3 free months of xbox live - 3 xbox's X 3 tags per console = so i essentially had 9 months worth of FREE xbox live for the price of 1 console... bearing in mind i have a 4th now, but i have not used 1 of the 3 on that yet.

they are doing it so they can wheed out the people who are using this for "free" xbox live and people who are just using it to take advantage, because i'd gather that it'll take a month automatically the day before the trial ends.

my next 12 month auto-renew isnt until october, but i got a email saying they've attempted to send the details, but the card has expired, which is correct, but why would they be looking now ? ... microsoft are a little weird like that though ...

sorry if this seems like a rant ...

gamerguy69
06-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Are people actually misreading the prompt screen when you initially create a secondary user?

I did this before and nowhere did it require me to enter my credit card details in order to get the 1-month Gold trial.

There was however a prompt screen which ONLY suggested that I enter CC details in order to have it auto-renewal and "blah, blah, blah" not missing out on all the advantages of Gold membership.

It was NOT required but only suggested. In fact, it gave me 2 choices that I could click on. Add payment details or Add payment later.

I would always choose LATER and just would NEVER do it.

Akuza
06-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Are people actually misreading the prompt screen when you initially create a secondary user?

I did this before and nowhere did it require me to enter my credit card details in order to get the 1-month Gold trial.

There was however a prompt screen which ONLY suggested that I enter CC details in order to have it auto-renewal and "blah, blah, blah" not missing out on all the advantages of Gold membership.

It was NOT required but only suggested. In fact, it gave me 2 choices that I could click on. Add payment details or Add payment later.

I would always choose LATER and just would NEVER do it.

ahhh so they've just simply added in a page to give people the option for auto-renew straight away?

thats jumping the gun a bit :confused:

makes more sence:locked

gamerguy69
06-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Although I haven't create a secondary account in recent months, this was the on-screen prompt I would usually see.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5344/img1663c.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/195/img1663c.jpg/)

iheardUrip1
06-25-2012, 12:00 AM
Yeah it only comes up with Paypal or Credit Card. Unfortunately it doesn't say anything like "Add payment later" for me.

iBuzz7S
06-25-2012, 12:25 AM
Not just you. I too hate it.

It's just a way to suck in the parents who don't know any better, you know, similar to the $99 4GB X360S deal.

mosin360
06-26-2012, 12:58 AM
No, its a common practice in the world.