PDA

View Full Version : Should Wii of?

Cmpunk
06-27-2012, 08:05 PM
I understand this topic isn't a xbox 360 topic, though I thought it was relevant enough so hear me out..

Xbox had achievements, Ps3 had trophies, Wii had..? Would Wii sales increased if they had "medals"? Basically the Wii version of Achievements/Trophies. Now I'm nowhere near saying Wii sales are/were bad, but people on xbox (primarily people I know) don't seem to play Wii because it lacks an achievement system, though heard Wii U might be having one.. Example: What game fan buys Avatar TBE for Wii? Kids might like it but I bet sales for Xbox were higher due to them having achievements. Do achievements make world go round? No. Do I even agree with this? Never said that. Though what's your opinion on the Wii and its achievementless system? Some people actually think its a good thing, which I can see their side because gaming is gaming, but achievements add a needed challenge to it.

DJConnelly
06-27-2012, 08:12 PM
I don't think sales would increase if they had some sort of achievement system. I'm not sure it has the sort of community that the Xbox has to use achievements or medals. Well, I think thats important, but thats me. Maybe I'm wrong. The Wii could have a thriving community. That may not even matter. I haven't used my Wii since last Christmas. Or it could have been the one before. I don't know anymore. The only games I really played were Sports and Endless Ocean. But to be honest, I don't think achievements or trophies motivate anyone to get a particular console. Or at least they shouldn't.

yourbreakfast99
06-27-2012, 08:15 PM
i have a wii(well it's my bro's) but he enjoys the mario gaems and super smash but i don't think that if achievements were added it would increase sales because i already put effort into getting achievements on the 360

Spanish Assault
06-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Wii is more targeted toward kids like my daughter. She's 10 and could care less about achievements.

keyserheel1
06-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Maybe people would buy more Wii's and they'd be more popular if they didn't have 64 bit graphics...

Spanish Assault
06-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Maybe people would buy more Wii's and they'd be more popular if they didn't have 64 bit graphics...
wow...

End thread.

yourbreakfast99
06-27-2012, 08:18 PM

That's also true, lol

Spanish Assault
06-27-2012, 08:20 PM
That's also true, lol
HEY!!!

I said END THREAD!!!

Cmpunk
06-27-2012, 08:20 PM

Are you kidding? Did you see the graphics on Brawl...?

yourbreakfast99
06-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Are you kidding? Did you see the graphics on Brawl...?

i was kidding but that guy might have been serious

sleepydumbdude
06-27-2012, 08:28 PM
If they had acheivements and a better online system that tied downloads and things to a nintendo profile instead of the console itself then I would have bought a lot more virtual console games. I only like games I can use the classic controller on.

Veedrock
06-27-2012, 08:31 PM
For the record, the PS3 didn't launch with Trophies. That got patched in later.

Anyways, I don't think the Wii U needs an achievement system, their titles play just fine without them. Anybody that does care about them is either already on Xbox/PS3, so they certainly won't switch just because of that.

And for the system to really work well, Nintendo would need a good central network like XBL and PSN, something they don't seem intent on setting up and managing. Can't really blame them for that though, they're solely a video game company so they don't have the kind of resources to make it competitive.

Granted it would be nice to have some sort of recognition for getting all the Stars in Mario or all the Heart Pieces in Zelda, but at the same time I like going out of my way and doing it on my own rather than being compelled to do it for an arbitrary acknowledgement.

I actually wouldn't mind if they had a system similar to backloggery.com, where you have your list of games and you yourself can set it to Unbeaten, Beaten, and Completed. Just a nice way to keep track of games without arbitrary goals.

dertswa687o
06-27-2012, 08:47 PM
This is amazingly ironic, but Pokemon Black and White 2 have an achievement system called "medals". There's 255 of them. I know it's for DS but still.

Tsaako
06-27-2012, 08:54 PM
I doubt it, would probably just be an added bonus.

NoctisXZ
06-27-2012, 08:58 PM
It would. A large portion of the player base are achievement whores in the worst possible way. They won't even play games because they lack some kind of system to tell them how good they are or what they've done to warrant recognition.

Anyone who honestly wants to dispute that fact I welcome you.. but it's true and I know a fair share of us have come across people that fit the description.

If Nintendo really wants to target the more "hardcore" audience they are in desperate need of some kind of achievement system. Without one they'd fail to capture a majority of that demographic.

The OP used a perfect example to explain things better than I ever could have. Avatar.. not a great game really, a child's game. But I don't even have to look at the sales figures to know that it most likely did better on the Xbox simply because of the achievements. It was probably played more on the Xbox for that sole reason.

Achievements can be great. But they were utilized in the worst way. They do more harm to games in my opinion than good. Fuck story and character development! What kind of achievements do they have?!

V3T Hunter
06-27-2012, 09:08 PM
I doubt it would have made much of a difference but for some reason my girl is addicted to mario kart now. I just need to get her to start playing games on the 360 and ps3.

Veedrock
06-27-2012, 09:14 PM
If Nintendo really wants to target the more "hardcore" audience they are in desperate need of some kind of achievement system. Without one they'd fail to capture a majority of that demographic.

Gamers that care about achievements are the minority in gaming, even in the "hardcore" crowd. And like I said in my above post, that minority is either already glued to achievements and/or trophies, a similar system on the Wii U would not compel them to switch.

Achievements can be great. But they were utilized in the worst way. They do more harm to games in my opinion than good. Fuck story and character development! What kind of achievements do they have?!

Achievements don't harm games, they harm gamers; more specifically, gamers that put achievements above all else. They will willingly miss out on a great game/experience because of hard achievements or lack of achievements. It's a tragedy.

RedneckGirls1
06-27-2012, 09:18 PM
I have to agree with some of the points you all have made. I believe that the Wii would have sold more and possibly been more fun if achievements or something similar had been placed into the system. However @NoctisXZ I dont buy and play games just to earn the acheivements. I buy them becasue they look awesome and fun. Whenever I do research one of the games, it is just so I dont get stuck with a crappy game I cant refund.

punker
06-27-2012, 09:31 PM
It would. A large portion of the player base are achievement whores in the worst possible way. They won't even play games because they lack some kind of system to tell them how good they are or what they've done to warrant recognition.

Anyone who honestly wants to dispute that fact I welcome you.. but it's true and I know a fair share of us have come across people that fit the description.

I don't think it's true at all. In fact, I'd say the exact opposite. I'd be willing to bet that the VAST majority of gamers couldn't care less about achievements/trophies at all, and it isn't even close.

Isn't this site one of the biggest (if not the biggest) achievement site out there? Less than 1% of 360 owners are members here.

Especially with the Wii, where the big appeal was initially for casual gamers, or people who weren't really into video games before. Gamers like that just play a game for a while and are done with it. They don't need any kind of reward system.

iBuzz7S
06-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Are you suggesting graphics = sales? In that case, Crysis should of thumped all competitors when it was released on PC back in 2007.

The Wii is a lot more successful than its competition. The addition of an achievement system would be pretty cool, but it doesn't change the fact that they stay true to games and have kept that 90's feeling by allowing you to complete a game and feel like you have achieved something anyway.

I would not care for it.

ChickinOnaChain
06-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Say they added "achievements" or whatever they'd call them...what about the people who played several games, would they have to replay them to earn them? Or would they automatically added?

Cmpunk
06-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Say they added "achievements" or whatever they'd call them...what about the people who played several games, would they have to replay them to earn them? Or would they automatically added?

Way too late now in my opinion to add achievements to the Wii for that reason. Plus Wii U is coming.

Son of Kyuss
06-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Seeing as Nintendo has confirmed there will be an achievements system in place for the WiiU and developers have the option of using them or not, I'd say it's safe to say that Nintendo saw what pull achievements had this generation and decided to hop aboard with that.

mrj3d
06-27-2012, 10:16 PM
I dunno if most people would care, but I'd like to see an achievement system. I love achievements/trophies. :p

Akuza
06-27-2012, 10:44 PM
No

A wii is for "family fun" or "child entertainment" or a cheaper alternative to finding a GameCube :D

The console is also great for RPG's recently, I mean look at xenoblade chronicles, fantastic stuff!

A good console doesnt need trophies or achievements, it should simply be a nice extra feature :)

TheRedComet
06-27-2012, 10:51 PM
I don't think an achievement like system would increase Nintendo's sales. I know I didn't buy my 360 just for achievements, I bought it to play games in general. Nintendo just needs better games, not extra frills. I think if the VC had been better supported the Wii might have done better after the initial sales boom at launch. I know would I have had more interest in it at least.

keyserheel1
06-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Are you suggesting graphics = sales? In that case, Crysis should of thumped all competitors when it was released on PC back in 2007.

The Wii is a lot more successful than its competition. The addition of an achievement system would be pretty cool, but it doesn't change the fact that they stay true to games and have kept that 90's feeling by allowing you to complete a game and feel like you have achieved something anyway.

I would not care for it.

Nowhere in my post do I suggest that graphics would lead them to better sales...just that theri graphics sucks....and crysis would have done better if it didn't suck as well....one of the best games I ever played on PC(Deus Ex) had decent graphics, but nothing spectacular, it was cool because of the gameplay and options and storyline....

But graphics DO help...and the better the graphics are the more likely the units will sell....

NoctisXZ
06-27-2012, 11:31 PM
I don't think it's true at all. In fact, I'd say the exact opposite. I'd be willing to bet that the VAST majority of gamers couldn't care less about achievements/trophies at all, and it isn't even close.

Isn't this site one of the biggest (if not the biggest) achievement site out there? Less than 1% of 360 owners are members here.

Especially with the Wii, where the big appeal was initially for casual gamers, or people who weren't really into video games before. Gamers like that just play a game for a while and are done with it. They don't need any kind of reward system.

Perhaps we just live in two distinctly different universes. The one you're living in being the preferable.. where achievements truly don't matter at all and don't impact how games are played or looked at in the slightest.

The number of members this site has really has no relevancy in the slightest. But even if it did you have to take into consideration the amount of people who just visit this site to look up guides and what not and forgo the forum experience.

The sad truth of the matter is that the Wii U is doomed to fail to capture the "hardcore audience". At least a great deal of it... If it wants to stand any chance of doing so it needs persistent profiles and an achievement system. It already seems like there are going to be games targeted to that audience and slightly more third party development for the console.

I'm not trying to provoke an argument here. I'm just stating the way things currently are and how they're going. Achievements were a great idea in theory but utilized completely wrong. For the most part they detract from the experience.

To a great deal of players games have become more about collecting achievements than about enjoying the game. Enjoyment is just a bonus. One thing would solve this debate but it will never happen. Release the next big title with and without achievements. The copy with achievements is going to outsell the copy without.

If achievements didn't really matter why have they become an intrinsic part of gaming as a whole?

Spartan095
06-27-2012, 11:35 PM
Seriously? Nintendo are just behind, plain and simple. Most games that are released on a Nintendo system are unheard of shovelware. The whole time I had a Wii I wanted an Xbox, because the Wii is just not good. I didn't even know what an achievement was until Halo Waypoint. Didn't notice them pop up or anything. I don't think adding in an achievement system will affect their sales.

ChickinOnaChain
06-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Way too late now in my opinion to add achievements to the Wii for that reason. Plus Wii U is coming.
Maybe for the Wii U then? :confused: It couldn't hurt it if they were added for it.

The Rabbit Suit
06-27-2012, 11:45 PM
This is amazingly ironic, but Pokemon Black and White 2 have an achievement system called "medals". There's 255 of them. I know it's for DS but still.

How is that ironic? Games used to have in-game achievements/unlockables all the time. The fact that some first party Nintendo games like Kid Icarus and Super Smash Brothers keep them around isn't ironic, that's caring for gameplay.

They're pretty well done too. I'm still trying to get everything on Kid Icarus.

entyjc
06-27-2012, 11:49 PM
i dont think having achievements or something like would help the wii out what it needs is proper controllers i hate the controls on the wii (but thatsjust me. Using too much energy too play a game spoils it for me)

Cmpunk
06-28-2012, 12:08 AM
Maybe for the Wii U then? :confused: It couldn't hurt it if they were added for it.

They will, but seeing how most are kid games they'll be fairly easy.

keyserheel1
06-28-2012, 12:47 AM
OMG...I forgot about those frickin' things.....they're almost as bad as those things for the PS3 that look like vibrators with a glowing end...

hydrosugar
06-28-2012, 01:56 AM
The Wii doesn't need to do anything other than keep pumping out it's first party games.

Skilled
06-28-2012, 02:26 AM
Wii isn't hardcore enough, I mean its like the family console you get out every 6 months when I family comes round and they wont care for getting an achievement/medal/trophy

1 up
06-28-2012, 04:48 AM
one of nintendos problems is the lack of third party support

Yannie Boy
06-28-2012, 07:12 AM
The Wii doesn't need to do anything other than keep pumping out it's first party games.

Pretty much this and a better online integration. "Oh Hey, let's play online. Here add me, my friend code is 12387162387196231981723981723"

hydrosugar
06-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Pretty much this and a better online integration. "Oh Hey, let's play online. Here add me, my friend code is 12387162387196231981723981723"

Haha I agree with that. It couldn't hurt to have lag free online in said 1st party games either *looks at SSBB*

CHIRUNO99
06-28-2012, 08:51 AM
An achievement system on the Wii wouldn't really make a difference since on-line gaming on that system is a big pain. Playing against anyone is blatantly easy, it's just how the game handles friend requests and joining friends. The whole 'Friend Code' per game system is ridiculous and it's a reason why I prefer the Xbox 360 since it's literately just 1 button. I'm glad there isn't one either, it'd work but it's not that important. I don't think it has anything to do with the Wii being hardcore.casual since there's still quite a lot of games on there which aren't aimed at a casual gamer, like Xenogears, No More Heroes, Monster Hunter (where is the god damn European Xbox 360 version?) etc.

And as many people said, Trophies aren't that old, they were added in some games from the start but until 2009, Sony added a policy that every game should have trophies as a mandatory feature. It's why you can get games which were released before 2009 to have no trophies at all. You can even pick up a re-release of MGS4 which on the case says it has trophies, but when you play it, it doesn't.

The only reason I think the Xbox Achievement system is good is mainly because it's consistent to an extent. I've only found one game which doesn't have achievements at all, Namco Arcade Museum (The XBLA titles still have them, but the disc content doesn't)

Steam also has achievements, which don't have values and are only really found in certain games. It's quite a pointless system imho, since they add them for some games but not others, especially since Recettear could have been brutal with a "100% Completion" or "No Loops" shiny gold star. It doesn't make the client any less enjoyable.

Ethiebeefy
06-28-2012, 11:47 AM
No

A wii is for "family fun" or "child entertainment" or a cheaper alternative to finding a GameCube :D

The console is also great for RPG's recently, I mean look at xenoblade chronicles, fantastic stuff!

A good console doesnt need trophies or achievements, it should simply be a nice extra feature :)

10/charrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

F Swan
06-28-2012, 04:14 PM
I always thought a Nintendo style achievement system would be cool if they used the Mario style icons, similar to trophies.
Like the easy ones say a koopa shell, then mushrooms, then stars or whatever ...