PDA

View Full Version : Doing Achievements

warrenpaul
06-28-2012, 02:13 AM
Do you complete a game first then tidy up on certain achievements or do them while your going through the game?

I do them while going through the game but sometimes it puts me off the story lol

V3T Hunter
06-28-2012, 02:16 AM
I usually play through once and get whatever I can then come back to the game another time just for achievements if I didn't get enough the first playthrough.

DJConnelly
06-28-2012, 02:28 AM
I only look for achievements after my first play through. Usually.

Joel78
06-28-2012, 02:36 AM
Depends, if there is a missable achievement that would require another lenghty playthrough to get, I will make sure I get it first time....also if there's collectibles that you can't go back to without playing again I will get them, if there's things I can do after finishing the story I will leave most of them til then.

HugTheBear
06-28-2012, 02:38 AM
I play the game, then I go back and get what I missed if I enjoyed the game enough. Sometimes when I rent the game I check guides and get achievements as I go through the game the first time.

ChickinOnaChain
06-28-2012, 02:43 AM
I get what I can in the first PT and sometimes go back through and get some I missed but only if I can select my missions/objectives.

iBuzz7S
06-28-2012, 02:51 AM
I like to enjoy my games, not play only for achievements. So my first playthrough is just playing through the game, then a second would be to mop up any achievements I've missed and a possible third playthrough, if required for whatever reason.

Kairi
06-28-2012, 03:25 AM
I like going for the achievements as I go along. It saves me time, plus I enjoy trying to get them :)

dertswa687o
06-28-2012, 05:53 AM
It is EXTREMELY game dependent for me. Most RPGs I tend to try and knock out as much as I can in one playthough. Most of the time there's loads of missables. However, if there are no/few missables and/or a mission select, I'll normally just play through the game without a care in the world and mop stuff up later.

xKRAIZEEMANx
06-28-2012, 05:57 AM
It is EXTREMELY game dependent for me.

Same goes for me.

If it is a rental...I will usually try to get the most I can in a single play-through. Otherwise, I will sit back and enjoy the game.

DragonsGoMOO
06-28-2012, 05:59 AM
I check guides. If they're not missable, I do whatever I want. If there are missable achievements, I try to remember but not worry too much that I lose fun over it.

The Sea Trout
06-28-2012, 08:46 AM
My main aim is just to complete the game really.

Sometimes I will go back and mop up certain achievements if I fancy it.

The only achievements I usually work toward intentionally is online ones.

warrenpaul
06-28-2012, 09:04 AM
I check guides. If they're not missable, I do whatever I want. If there are missable achievements, I try to remember but not worry too much that I lose fun over it.

Yeah thats a point really, i do check before i start to see if theres any missables

Toams07
06-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Depends on what I play
For Sniper Elite, for example, I didn't focus on any achievements besides the story
But for Lost Odyssey for example, I'm trying to get Treasure Trove on my first playthrough

HylianNarwhal
06-28-2012, 09:42 AM
I've been Xbox-ing for all of 5 months and so far mainly arcade games, the ones I've completed I go through the game while working towards achievements along the way, going between some running around towards achievements and then moving on with the game a bit.

Some things I know on games I'm going to carefully work towards the entire game. I've got Fable 3 and am going to go through my first playthrough carefully to get the achievement for never being knocked out, as I think it'd be more tiresome going through the game again for that 1 missable.

That's why I joined this site actually - I worry all the secret achievements (looking at you two Final Fantasy XIIIs) are going to be missable things, so I check on here what they are and if they're not then I can carry on gaming without worrying about that.

CASTIGLEE
06-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Honestly, if it's a game I'm really excited about I try not to look at guides or achievement lists because I don't want it to ruin the story.

Skorpion XBA
06-28-2012, 10:14 AM
It all depends. If it's a crap game I'm playing just for achievements then I try to get them all in one playthrough, especially if there is no chapter select. If it's a game I enjoy then I take my time and sometimes I don't even look at the achievements until after I'm done with the first playthrough.

McGoogles
06-28-2012, 10:41 AM
I usually search for missable achievements when I get a new game. Or if the difficulty achievements are stackable or not, then I continue on with the game.

However, if the game is extremely fun, then I'd completely ignore the achievements and blast through the campaign or play a few hours of multiplayer before I focus my attention on the achievements.

FFFreak1129
06-28-2012, 10:45 AM
It depends. If its a game where they let you go back and keep playing after the main story is done, then I will get what I can and do the rest after I beat it. If there are missable achievements involved then I will get those the first time through.

iTs xLuiGi
06-28-2012, 10:49 AM
it depends. if it's gamefly'd, 99% of the time i just follow a guide going through the game so i can knock it out and send it back. if it's a game i own, i look at the roadmap first. if it's 2 or more playthroughs to 1000, i play without a guide once, and mop up on the second. if it's one playthrough, but no missables because of level select, again i play through without a guide, and mop up in level selects. if there's missables, i read the guide just for that(those) achievements, and make sure to knock them out when i reach that part. but the rest of the game that's not missable, i play through without a guide.

hydrosugar
06-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Play the game first then clean up. If there's troublesome ones then they can be ignored. I don't go for 1000g as much as just a decent score for each game.

Onelastbreath
06-28-2012, 11:12 AM
It's entirely dependent on the game. RPG's tend to be doing as you go as you don't tend to want to be doing multiple playthroughs. Games like FPS you can go through multiple times to mop up missed achievements.

ginge88isfun
06-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Playthrough to get the run of the mill achievements then mop up the rest with another playthrough.

Spanish Assault
06-28-2012, 01:28 PM
I play through to enjoy the game....then if the game was fun enough and the rest are not to difficult....then MAYBE I finish up.

xXxDave69prxXx
06-28-2012, 01:40 PM
ohhhh love to complete the achieve almost all!!!! but i finish first the story an then well look fot he Achieve!!!! and speaking of Achieve is any one have the (TMNT The Arcade Game)i need to complete one Achieve is the Survivor i need that if u have it feel free to Add to play and help to complete the game im gonna be very gratefill and the i can help u with other Achieve u need :)

Samigi
06-28-2012, 03:02 PM
If its a game I know I'll only play once such as open season I get them as I go.

kyboy
06-28-2012, 03:27 PM
I like to enjoy my games, not play only for achievements. So my first playthrough is just playing through the game, then a second would be to mop up any achievements I've missed and a possible third playthrough, if required for whatever reason.

thats how i am. im playing amazing spiderman right now. just going through the story, but ill collect comics and other things if i come across them. after i beat it, ill go back and get things ive missed.

xZarfotAcheivements
06-28-2012, 04:22 PM
I read a road map on here for the game first and usually take the advice on there :) Unless its a game i know what to do on i just do it my own way :)

yourbreakfast99
06-28-2012, 04:23 PM
usually first time for fun and then second for achievements

DecadentBeaver
06-28-2012, 05:11 PM
If its a game I've got for an easy 1000g, I'll make sure I don't miss a single achievement. Especially if you can go back for collectables. Like Bioshock. Got all 1100g in 1 playthrough. With Lego Harry Potter, I just played through the game and went back to get all the achievements after. Really is dependant on the game.

mrj3d
06-28-2012, 05:13 PM
For the most part I don't pay much attention to the achievements at first. I'll play and do it my way and have fun. Then I'll do another play through for whatever I missed.

It's not always like that though, I read through roadmaps before I start and see what the deal is. For example I've been playing Blue Dragon, and the game is stuffed full of missable achievements. It's also a 150 hour game, so to save countless hours of replay, I followed a walkthrough.

IrishGorilla31
06-28-2012, 05:14 PM
I usually get as many as I can the first playthrough and then clean up afterwards.

AmbaLaBamba
06-28-2012, 05:36 PM
It really depends on the game for me. If I really enjoy the game then I don't really mind playing it over and over to get the achievements (unless there is a chapter select option ;) hehe) but if the game is pretty dull then I will try my best to get as many on the first playthrough as possible.

Gackt
06-28-2012, 05:38 PM
It really depends on the game for me. If I really enjoy the game then I don't really mind playing it over and over to get the achievements (unless there is a chapter select option ;) hehe) but if the game is pretty dull then I will try my best to get as many on the first playthrough as possible.

This ^^
If I enjoy a game I usually am in no hurry to get all the achievements right away, I like to just play normally and get them over time.

niko da bos
06-28-2012, 05:41 PM
i never let the achievements hinder my first playthru, actually i dont even look at the list until i have finished the game. i spend my first playthru enjoying the content and exploring what the game has, usually that determines if im even doing another playthru or not. if i didnt enjoy the game my first time thru, i will not grind the achievement list down, i would just shelf the game and say its not for me.

especially if you take into account missables, i dont want to be kicking myself in the ass the entire playthru because i know i didnt grab that "insert random item here" during some part of the game.

Fire Hawk D
06-28-2012, 05:48 PM
I usually get as many as I can the first playthrough and then clean up afterwards.

Same thing. I hate playing games over if it can be helped.

Tsaako
06-28-2012, 07:22 PM
It depends. Most of the time I'll casually play through single player then go work on achievements.

However if the games lengthy and takes up alot of time I'll try and get as many as I can during the playthrough. The downside to this is that it does kinda put me off the story as I get more interested in getting achievements.

Spock
06-28-2012, 08:04 PM
I always look at the achievement lists as soon as they show up on this site. That way I have an idea of what I need to do when I get the game. Then I usually just play through the game for fun while attempting some of the extra achievements if I can remember what they were. Then I'll look at the list or a guide to see what else I need to do.

With some games I follow a guide the whole time. I usually check out the Road Map for a game if there is one before playing to see missable achievements, difficulty, and time. If there are tons of missable achievements I will check what they are and decide if I'll go for them right away or save them for another playthrough.

nevermindaboutme
06-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Try and get as many as I can usually, unless they're difficulty related I usually start on normal then do another playthrough on a harder difficulty.

Barad
06-28-2012, 09:46 PM
If it's a decent game I'm looking forward to playing, ill always ignore the achievements and just play the game at least once without any worries. Then ill look at the achievements to see what I can do from there.

Rep
06-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Complete the game first, achievements are last. I don't mind going back and collecting miscellaneous achievements as long as the game is alright. I don't even bother if the game's awful.

Blink
06-29-2012, 12:17 AM
If it's a game I enjoy, I do an initial playthrough usually on the hardest difficulty, then I go back and clean up the campaign achievements I missed. Once I'm done with the campaign, I'll start multiplayer.

Jakez123
06-29-2012, 12:20 AM
Whilst going through although it can get annoying when you have to keep tabs on every single collectible or event you need to trigger to get miss-able achievements.