PDA

View Full Version : what's the point of Video and Music Status in privacy settings?

iTs xLuiGi
06-28-2012, 10:29 AM
i know it used to be so it would say "Watching (whatever you're watching) in Netflix" etc. but now, whether its allowed or blocked, it only says "Watching a tv show in Netflix". is there a way to still actually get it to say the show you're watching? if not, what's the point of this option, and why haven't they gotten rid of it.

Morbido
06-28-2012, 11:36 AM
i know it used to be so it would say "Watching (whatever you're watching) in Netflix" etc. but now, whether its allowed or blocked, it only says "Watching a tv show in Netflix". is there a way to still actually get it to say the show you're watching? if not, what's the point of this option, and why haven't they gotten rid of it.

I was thinking about this yesterday actually.

Your right, its pointless. If your watching a DVD or listening to a CD it just says watching movie/listening to music. They should give you the option like they do on Youtube to show others what your watching/listening to.

ChromiumDragon
06-28-2012, 01:15 PM
But some people don't want others to know what they're watching/listening to.

Giptuc
06-28-2012, 01:36 PM

This. Though I suppose it doesnt really make too much of a difference since the xbox doesnt recognise individual disks and whats on them.

If it were to say "Giptuc is watching Tinkerbells Adventure on DVD!" then sure.. i'd block it hahaha.

Same thing goes for netflix i guess.. (wouldnt really know how it works since we dont have it in Australia) but im guessing if it just says your watching a TV show or Movie they thought it was redundant... maybe its just extra effort they cbf giving a name to the thing your watching

AmbaLaBamba
06-28-2012, 02:09 PM
I suppose it's so people can choose whether they want their friends or random people seeing what they are watching/listening too; Sky, Netflix, LAST.fm etc. I have it set at the moment to people seeing, but they can't actually see what I'm listening to or watching.

If they changed it so that you could see exactly what they're watching/listening to I would change the settings to private, too many people who I know would start sending me messages saying 'I like that band/artist!' or 'What's that movie/show about?' -_-

ChickinOnaChain
06-28-2012, 02:16 PM
If it were to say "Giptuc is watching Tinkerbells Adventure on DVD!" then sure.. i'd block it hahaha.
Me too! And this is probably why that option is there. But then, I don't use Netflix, so I don't have to worry about it.

Dav13s
06-28-2012, 02:17 PM

This. Though I suppose it doesnt really make too much of a difference since the xbox doesnt recognise individual disks and whats on them.

Same thing goes for netflix i guess.. (wouldnt really know how it works since we dont have it in Australia) but im guessing if it just says your watching a TV show or Movie they thought it was redundant... maybe its just extra effort they cbf giving a name to the thing your watching

I suppose it's so people can choose whether they want their friends or random people seeing what they are watching/listening too; Sky, Netflix, LAST.fm etc. I have it set at the moment to people seeing, but they can't actually see what I'm listening to or watching.

If they changed it so that you could see exactly what they're watching/listening to I would change the settings to private, too many people who I know would start sending me messages saying 'I like that band/artist!' or 'What's that movie/show about?' -_-

Understanding stuff fail...OP is saying that whatever the settings are, no-one sees what you are watching/listening to, which means that having a setting for it is pointless. It used to say what you were watching I think, ie "Davi3s Lar is watching An Awesome Movie on Netflix" when you allowed it to and it doesn't anymore. I agree the privacy setting is pretty much redundant now, but I'm not too arsed. Don't know why they changed it.

AmbaLaBamba
06-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Understanding stuff fail...OP is saying that whatever the settings are, no-one sees what you are watching/listening to, which means that having a setting for it is pointless. It used to say what you were watching I think, ie "Davi3s Lar is watching An Awesome Movie on Netflix" when you allowed it to and it doesn't anymore. I agree the privacy setting is pretty much redundant now, but I'm not too arsed. Don't know why they changed it.

Yeah which I put in to my post, I allow it but they can't see anyway. And in my second paragraph I stated that if they did change it so you could see then I would make it private.

iTs xLuiGi
06-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Yeah which I put in to my post, I allow it but they can't see anyway. And in my second paragraph I stated that if they did change it so you could see then I would make it private.

yeah you're really the only one who understood. to everyone else, it DOESN'T SAY "Watching Tinkerbell" or whatever you guys used as an example. whether the setting is "Allowed" or "Blocked" it just says "Watching a video" either way.

so LaBamba, if im understanding you correctly, allowed would say "Watching a tv show on Netflix" and blocked would just say "Watching a video". is that what you're saying? the "allowed" selection just shows the app now? instead of the individual title?

AmbaLaBamba
06-28-2012, 08:03 PM
yeah you're really the only one who understood. to everyone else, it DOESN'T SAY "Watching Tinkerbell" or whatever you guys used as an example. whether the setting is "Allowed" or "Blocked" it just says "Watching a video" either way.

so LaBamba, if im understanding you correctly, allowed would say "Watching a tv show on Netflix" and blocked would just say "Watching a video". is that what you're saying? the "allowed" selection just shows the app now? instead of the individual title?

Just wanted to point it out. Currently it just says 'watching a show' or 'listening to music' etc if you set it to allow in the privacy settings, it doesn't show anything at all if you put disallow (I don't think, but I've never tried it).

But what I did say is that if they did have this option like the OP mentioned then I wouldn't want people to see that I was watching 'insert show here' or listening to 'insert musician here'. I find it better as it is, not letting people know exactly what you're up to. :)

Did they even have that option in the first place? :confused:

DJConnelly
06-28-2012, 08:28 PM
I like to listen to Cascada without anyone knowing. ;)

iTs xLuiGi
06-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Just wanted to point it out. Currently it just says 'watching a show' or 'listening to music' etc if you set it to allow in the privacy settings, it doesn't show anything at all if you put disallow (I don't think, but I've never tried it).

But what I did say is that if they did have this option like the OP mentioned then I wouldn't want people to see that I was watching 'insert show here' or listening to 'insert musician here'. I find it better as it is, not letting people know exactly what you're up to. :)

Did they even have that option in the first place? :confused:

that same option used to say the exact tv show/movie before the new dashboard update. i used to scroll my friends list and see "Watching Breaking Bad on Netflix" or "Watching Community on Hulu Plus". it never worked for dvds or video files though. only through video apps like that. and once the new dashboard update happened it switched to just "Watching a video".

AmbaLaBamba
06-28-2012, 08:50 PM
that same option used to say the exact tv show/movie before the new dashboard update. i used to scroll my friends list and see "Watching Breaking Bad on Netflix" or "Watching Community on Hulu Plus". it never worked for dvds or video files though. only through video apps like that. and once the new dashboard update happened it switched to just "Watching a video".

See I never knew that, should have stopped watching Sexcetera ;) LOL!

That's strange, I'm not sure then to be honest. Maybe they just ditched the feature because of some silly reason?

Dav13s
06-28-2012, 09:39 PM

That's literally exactly what I said...

SilentStrike011
06-28-2012, 09:57 PM

Exactly, with games you can party up but it's pointless with TV and music. I dont care what people are watching.

Plus, some 12 year olds might not want their friend list made up of randoms off CoD to know they're listening to Justin Beiber.