PDA

View Full Version : EA going digital only?

otaking live
07-03-2012, 01:32 AM
I just saw an article posted about this. Is this old news or what? All I can say is that if true im really disappointed in EA.

Wildmn34
07-03-2012, 01:36 AM
Won't happen.

If they go completely digital you are automatically cutting out a chunk of your consumer base. Not wise for any company.

DeepInfern0
07-03-2012, 01:40 AM
Here is a link to the news:
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/19899/ea-were-going-100-digital

Or if that link won't work:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/356313/ea-going-100-percent-digital-in-near-future/

It could happen, only time will tell though. You could also type it in on Google ;)

bigbear2face
07-03-2012, 01:40 AM
Well they have started Origin and are heavily pushing it. Still I find it hard to believe that any company could have success going only digital. Valve does great with Steam but they do still have to do hard copy releases for their own games (L4D, Portal 2 etc...)

iBuzz7S
07-03-2012, 01:45 AM
They made over $1 billion via digital sales. I hope they aren't using that as a purpose to go digital-only. They could of gotten lucky.

If they did, good for them. But I am reading they will continue to make games available via other formats, so not exactly sure what to believe.

yourbreakfast99
07-03-2012, 01:46 AM
Why does completely digital mean

bigbear2face
07-03-2012, 01:47 AM
They made over $1 billion via digital sales. I hope they aren't using that as a purpose to go digital-only. They could of gotten lucky.

If they did, good for them. But I am reading they will continue to make games available via other formats, so not exactly sure what to believe.

I think a lot of those sales came from Star Wars: The Old Republic pre-sales through Origin...It was by far the best way to pre-order the game. So if they were smart they would realize that they may not see those kind of figures on a yearly basis.

Why does completely digital mean

They wouldn't sell hard copies of games. No discs in stores. You could only buy games through internet retailers and then download the game to your hard drive.

DEG23
07-03-2012, 02:04 AM
Cut out the middle man > charge full retail price > increase profit margins. makes sense.

I personally would like to see all games available for digital download, for sheer convenience. Almost ever other aspect of my life is now digital only. My only concern is with refunds and/or trade ins.

bigbear2face
07-03-2012, 02:19 AM
Cut out the middle man > charge full retail price > increase profit margins. makes sense.

I personally would like to see all games available for digital download, for sheer convenience. Almost ever other aspect of my life is now digital only. My only concern is with refunds and/or trade ins.

Well, to address your concerns about trade-ins, I think that part of the whole reason most publishers would want to go all digital is to completely eliminate the second hand market. These publisher don't want you to buy second hand so they don't care about saying "fuck you" on the matter.

However, refunds would be somewhat of a problem. You won't ever have to return something because its defective so that won't be a problem (you could just re-download a corrupted file). However, mistake purchases would be a lot harder to deal with...

tehapoc
07-03-2012, 02:26 AM
I'm cool with the concept of digital only sales of games with the exception of price. They're sorely mistaken if they think they can continue to charge what they're charging now on the digital market. $50 dollars for a game? Too fucking expensive.

DEG23
07-03-2012, 02:28 AM
However, mistake purchases would be a lot harder to deal with...

This is the part that worries me. There have been times where i have bought a game based on others opinions but found i didn't really enjoy it. If there is a difficult or non-existent refund policy then it may mean people will be more cautious about buying.

bigbear2face
07-03-2012, 02:30 AM
I'm cool with the concept of digital only sales of games with the exception of price. They're sorely mistaken if they think they can continue to charge what they're charging now on the digital market. $50 dollars for a game? Too fucking expensive.

Well...they may not have the same production costs that they would with hard copy retail but they would still have significant distribution costs (server hosting, connectivity etc...) and advertising costs. You could expect a marginal decrease in price but not a significant one.

Capn Doug
07-03-2012, 02:33 AM
PC is already going that way, but Consoles are proving remarkably resistant to it. Probably because aside from Steam, only XBLA is successful at all at digital distribution, and that not by much. Look at at biggest selling XBLA games and they are no where close to matching retail successesLast I checked, Castle Crashers was the biggest selling XBLA game at 2.5 mil. Minecraft has probably topped that, but it is the exception, not the rule.

I suspect they will do this on PC, but unless all three consoles improve their digital markets, it won't happen there for a while.

FFFreak1129
07-03-2012, 03:22 AM
Hopefully it doesn't happen yet. I guess because its more of seeing how Games on Demand is, where games cost the same or more then what you would pay if you bought it in a store. You would think digital sales would save you some money because there are no packaging costs to worry about, but then they charge for convenience or whatever.

If anything they would probably do this when consoles go all digital (who knows when that will be). I would be surprised seeing them do this on the current generation of consoles.

jonsmith84
07-03-2012, 04:27 AM
ea has disappointed me since they got rid of nba live LOL and took a bunch of servers down

yourbreakfast99
07-03-2012, 04:43 AM
ea has disappointed me since they got rid of nba live LOL and took a bunch of servers down

I know, i won't be able to get 1000G on NBA Street Homecourt when i rent it

Veedrock
07-03-2012, 04:53 AM
Valve does great with Steam but they do still have to do hard copy releases for their own games (L4D, Portal 2 etc...)

Valve uses EA as their physical distributor too.

rikib004
07-03-2012, 07:49 AM
Until broadband is globally upto par it would be a huge mistake to go digital only, as said before, a huge amount of profits would be mised due to people with poor internet or no internet. Plus alot of people prefer hard copy even with a fast connection

iTs xLuiGi
07-03-2012, 09:46 AM
charge me $5-10 and i'll "rent" the game for a week digitally, of course. cut out going to blockbuster or paying for gamefly. but sorry, i'm not paying full price to buy something i can't physically have in my possession. i already refuse to buy games on demand. i have a kindle, but if i have to pay for a book, i'll buy a physical one. kindle is for pdf books i can find free. all my magazine subs are print only. if i'm paying full price, i want full access. i want it to be mine. i wanna be able to throw it out a window if i get sick of it, if that time should come.

iheardUrip1
07-03-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm with the hundreds of other people who say if everything goes digital, that's the end of gaming for me. I just don't see me going 100% digital.

Skilled
07-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Will not happen. That would be a terrible move. Not everyone can download a game in 20 minutes. Quicker to pick it up and not to mention I have to share the net. Maybe when Australia gets something better then 3rd world internet.

AmbaLaBamba
07-03-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm sorry but if this was the case gaming would be over for me, downloading a new game for me would take ages and that's not an option I'm willing to take. Not to mention the stupid prices they tend to sell them for.

THE DEADLY DOG
07-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Eww.. Digital only. I have a feeling it could be the future, but already? =/

cjdavies
07-03-2012, 05:53 PM
My Xbox only has 51GB hard drive and I have 598MB spare = not good for me.

Blink
07-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Well they were the first to introduce the no-manual game, so it wouldn't surprise me!

The Rabbit Suit
07-04-2012, 12:02 AM
It might not be so bad considering recent legislation where you're able to sell your license to software you've purchased.

Either way, I'm hardly affected so I can't really comment.

Wildmn34
07-04-2012, 12:07 AM
I really don't see it happening. Not everyone has a high speed internet connection that will allow them a reasonable time to DL a game. Some like actually holding a disc. What do they do for CE's then?

Also, things have to change with the actual Xbox console itself. We are talking 1 TB HD, or allowing for additional storage solutions.

Just based on the internet connectivity alone I don't see it happening anytime soon. The article says "eventually" but that could mean anything really.

InsulinShaman
07-04-2012, 03:14 AM
I'm with the hundreds of other people who say if everything goes digital, that's the end of gaming for me. I just don't see me going 100% digital.

This is pretty much me,even though I can't see ea going completely digital because of profit loss. I hope that any game company doesn't ever go 100% digital.

Drewdude1023
07-04-2012, 04:07 AM
I hope not. I'd need a whole seperate external hard drive when they release BF4 then.

sicklyplague
07-04-2012, 05:15 AM
It honestly does not suprise me that they are considering doing this. I just hope they see that not everyone has a big hard drive or a fast internet connection to store and download games respectivly.

I mean ill accept it when the time comes when everything goes digital but i hope its not soon i love having my physical products =(

StillTIPPIN187
07-04-2012, 05:46 AM
I'd love it. I don't buy any EA games or play any other than Dead Space. So it would be nice to be able to buy DS3 right from the dashboard...

But when they say "very soon" I think they mean the next gen consoles in the coming years.

I hate physical media. The whole process is about as lame as it gets.. Drive 10 miles to nearest gamestop to pre order game to get the bonus pre order items... Then drive back.. Drive to gamestop again at 12 midnight to pick up the said game. Then drive back... And 90 percent of the time the game I actually do buy from gamestop, I buy during the holidays so it's freezing outside... It would be so much better to just download it and not deal with the middle man.

KFZ Scrubs
07-04-2012, 07:45 AM

You're sorely mistaken if you think they're not going to charge that much

They wouldn't sell hard copies of games. No discs in stores. You could only buy games through internet retailers and then download the game to your hard drive.

Or from cards at a retailer (like gaia online points) or receipts with codes.
I'm not in favor of it. That means I need a bigger harddrive. And even if I choose to just redownload it whenever, it'll take a long ass time with my internet whenever I have to make room on the Hard drive.

The only thing I like about it is at least we're not making millions of discs that'll just become waste in the future.

hydrosugar
07-04-2012, 08:31 AM
EA are the last people I wanna see go digital only. Look at their current track record. Origin is garbage, and they even said they don't wanna have sales because it "cheapens intellectual property". Of course it didn't take them long to back down from that stance.

EliteShadowMan
07-04-2012, 08:37 AM
EA are the last people I wanna see go digital only. Look at their current track record. Origin is garbage, and they even said they don't wanna have sales because it "cheapens intellectual property". Of course it didn't take them long to back down from that stance.

I got a Boar addiction now because of your sig! get it outta here! lmao

On topic: EA suck either way. They used to be good around early 2000, and now they've just been terrible, and seem to keep getting worse. If they go digital, then i'm not buying any of their products if they are over $20

ConfederateSuga
07-04-2012, 09:20 AM
charge me $5-10 and i'll "rent" the game for a week digitally, of course. cut out going to blockbuster or paying for gamefly. but sorry, i'm not paying full price to buy something i can't physically have in my possession. i already refuse to buy games on demand. i have a kindle, but if i have to pay for a book, i'll buy a physical one. kindle is for pdf books i can find free. all my magazine subs are print only. if i'm paying full price, i want full access. i want it to be mine. i wanna be able to throw it out a window if i get sick of it, if that time should come.

Your biggest misconception there is that you think you own your Microsoft products when you don't. If you take the time to actually read through MS' ironclad EULA, you'll read that the consoles you buy, the games you buy, the monthly/yearly fee you pay, the gamertag you use and the digital content you buy (XBLA games, DLC, etc) are NOT yours. It pretty much says that all of those products are property of Microsoft and that you're just basically renting them. This is why Microsoft reserves the right to ban your console from accessing the internet at any time should they see fit. I'm not sure how it is with Sony/Nintendo, but you don't "own" anything Microsoft. You're just renting from them.

Starkweather
07-04-2012, 09:27 AM
I am not sure everything going digital can happen that soon, especially with download limits etc.

its RIALTO
07-04-2012, 11:55 AM
So basicly the second hand / pre owned market will eventually be non exsistant?

And where will you stand with memory, i imagine an EA downloaded game will have to be saved to harddrive and if ALL your games have to be saved, your quickly running out of space and deleting alot more.

Qonok
07-04-2012, 02:21 PM
I have a lot of problems with digital only download. Mostly it is that I prefer owning the hard copy.
It is like these people that pull out their old PS1 or Super Nintendo and fire up a game. Imagine if it was digital only download back then. What would happen if you didn't have the game you wanted on your hard drive and went to download it and the service was offline or the company was gone? This is my biggest worry with it.

My next biggest worry is how Microsoft does their hard drives. They go as small as they can and then charge through the nose for anything larger. When PC hard drives are so cheap for large sizes it gives you pause as to why they are so expensive for such small sizes for the Xbox 360.
So with digital only download you would need a much, much larger hard drive that could potentially cost more than the console itself.

ChickinOnaChain
07-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Hard copies mean I can sell it when I'm done with it. Digital just means I get to delete it.

fastNcurious
07-04-2012, 05:12 PM
I think EA's all digital vision is really, really, really, really long term. Imagine all the business they would lose from people who have slow internet connections. They can't be bothered to download a 10GB game.

bigbear2face
07-04-2012, 09:27 PM
I think EA's all digital vision is really, really, really, really long term. Imagine all the business they would lose from people who have slow internet connections. They can't be bothered to download a 10GB game.

Also consider console gamers that don't have big hard drives. Not only would download time be a huge concern but so would storage space. With the current business models Microsoft and Sony are pushing with some of their more recent console releases all digital gaming would simply not work.

Gackt
07-05-2012, 12:11 AM
Your biggest misconception there is that you think you own your Microsoft products when you don't. If you take the time to actually read through MS' ironclad EULA, you'll read that the consoles you buy, the games you buy, the monthly/yearly fee you pay, the gamertag you use and the digital content you buy (XBLA games, DLC, etc) are NOT yours. It pretty much says that all of those products are property of Microsoft and that you're just basically renting them. This is why Microsoft reserves the right to ban your console from accessing the internet at any time should they see fit. I'm not sure how it is with Sony/Nintendo, but you don't "own" anything Microsoft. You're just renting from them.

Not enough people bother reading that information.

Capn Doug
07-05-2012, 12:19 AM

Why would they? All it does is add precious minutes before they can pwn some n00bs in CoD. And besides, Microsoft can't do anything against the law as they understand it. And the way they understand it is always correct.

iTs xLuiGi
07-05-2012, 01:18 AM

i don't buy DLC or XBLA games. if i don't get them free from a giveaway of some sort, i just don't play them. i buy disk games. that's it. my gamertag i'll give you. i don't "own" it, i rent it. but i kind of have to do that. besides that, i DO own my disks. because even if they ban my console, i can still play them offline. they're not banning my console and sending a team to my house to take all my disks. i see your point though, don't get me wrong. but that's just the way i see it.

NoctisXZ
07-05-2012, 01:33 AM

So are you trying to say that you actually read the EULAs? I'll give you the proper respect you deserve if you truly do because I don't know a single person who actually has. And for the most part anyone who says they have before I tend to outright not believe.

I'm sure some of you remember that South Park episode..

Anyway! This isn't such a big deal if you live in EU where the courts have actually declared that the consumer actually does own the digital content that they purchase, regardless of what the EULA reads, and has the right to resell if they so choose from my understanding. Perhaps soon Steam or Gamestop will try and move into this new market of digital second hand sales.. who knows!

It's all a big mistake to even think about going all digital right now. Even in the distant future. We aren't at the point yet where something like that is even feasible. Besides the old tried and true method of selling games is still booming..

The day when everyone in the WORLD has high speed internet access and is able to store vast amounts of information on their hard drive is the day when something like that will be possible to consider.

Can't say I'm looking forward to it though. Not unless something similar is declared in NA as it was in EU.. and the prices reflect the market. If a game still costs me $60 when it's all digital that'll just be absurd.

Gackt
07-05-2012, 03:30 AM
So are you trying to say that you actually read the EULAs? I'll give you the proper respect you deserve if you truly do because I don't know a single person who actually has. And for the most part anyone who says they have before I tend to outright not believe.

I don't read them all. I read the ones where I spend a large amount of time. Like xbox, certain MMO's, ect...

SuperEgo366
07-05-2012, 02:16 PM

Agreed, having a hard copy of my game collection is important

SilentStrike011
07-05-2012, 03:44 PM
I don't want a card linked to my account since Microsoft gives out your login details to anyone that rings up and convinces them that they're you. It's the stupidest idea I've ever heard of and has just added to my hatred of EA games. I'm glad I decided never to buy a new EA game.