PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain cloud memory storage?

Tristan360
07-03-2012, 05:36 PM
This is probably a really dumbass question but can someone explain what cloud storage is and why you would use it/want it, I am confused.
Sorry if this has been asked already...

AmbaLaBamba
07-03-2012, 05:39 PM
I used it when I went to my friends house, he has an older Xbox and I have the newer slim so I obviously can't drag my HDD around as that's not an option. Instead I move my saves to the cloud and then downloaded my profile on his 360... problem solved.

It's just another storage device for people to drop things, I find it useful when moving around places.

"If you have more than one Xbox 360 console or you want to play games at a friend’s house, you can store your saved games in the cloud (on our Xbox LIVE servers). Because your saved game is stored in the cloud, you can continue playing the game on a different console, right from where you left off."

Tristan360
07-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Oh right, thank you:)

ChickinOnaChain
07-03-2012, 05:46 PM
I have it on my iPad but I've never used it on my 360. I was going to once but it asked me to start a new game, so I stopped there. I don't know if you can transfer saves to it or not but I won't use it if I can't.

rikib004
07-03-2012, 08:49 PM
You are effectively uploading your saves to 'The Cloud' which is essentially a number of servers that you pay to store data (Now included in your xbox live annual fee)

It's a relatively new innovation that many companies are using/beginning to use.

Drewdude1023
07-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Given that my internet drops like multiple times a day while I'm playing XBox, I never use it.

HylianNarwhal
07-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Cloud storage is letting you use a small online database, so you're saving to the internets.

I used it when I started a game round a friends' house, then when I got home loaded the save off Cloud and then saved onto my hard drive so I could carry on instead of starting a new game.

sleepydumbdude
07-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Cloud storage is letting you use a small online database, so you're saving to the internets.

I used it when I started a game round a friends' house, then when I got home loaded the save off Cloud and then saved onto my hard drive so I could carry on instead of starting a new game.

That is basically what I use it for also.
Also for games that I put over 50 hours into I back up the saves about once a week when I am playing them like Skyrim and jrpgs. Not only in case something happens to my HD but in case I accidentally save over something that I didn't want to like a moron like I have done several times.

Crypt
07-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Cloud Memory will be the new type of storage of the future. It will be great!

Toryas
07-04-2012, 05:14 PM
This is probably a really dumbass question but can someone explain what cloud storage is and why you would use it/want it, I am confused.
Sorry if this has been asked already...

As people have already eluded to, the term "Cloud" talks about a virtual environment in which hardware sits. It can be a multitude of servers, they can be anywhere in the world and it's not necessarily storing your data on one physical storage device in a specific place.

Cloud storage gives you the freedom of being able to access your data from any Xbox 360, anywhere in the world, providing you've got an internet connection. It'll also secure your data in the event of a hard drive failure on your Xbox.

It's a great innovation and it's being utilised by companies worldwide at a huge rate.

fastNcurious
07-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Cloud Memory will be the new type of storage of the future. It will be great!

Yup. Easy way to get your data stolen, too. Call me old-fashioned, but I ain't touching that.

Crypt
07-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Yup. Easy way to get your data stolen, too. Call me old-fashioned, but I ain't touching that.
You really should not have a choice in the future, sooner or later, there will not be any disc

Drewdude1023
07-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Should not or will not? I wouldn't be surprised if discs are unavailable in the future, but you're just insane if you're rooting for online storage.

Tristan360
07-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all the replies!