PDA

View Full Version : This Game Is Frustrating

MabusScarab
07-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike this game. I actually really enjoy it for the most part, reminds me of games like Goonies from the original NES. But for the love of god, one life? You die once and you start from the beginning?

I'm not talking beginning of the level, you start at the beginning of the game. You make it to level 2-2, you die once, you lose everything. You restart at 1-1. It's already given me plenty of moments where I wanted to break my controller and i've had it for one day.

Oh, and f**k ghosts too.

Good luck to everyone that tries the achievement for beating the game in 8 minutes without shortcuts. I'm not even going to attempt it.

Seppälä
07-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Or yo finally came to 2-1 (after dying right befoe the gate in 1-4 several times) only to get complete darkness on that level.

When do you get shortcuts?

MabusScarab
07-05-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm not entirely sure, I haven't ran into any yet. The randomization is a blessing and a curse at the same time, it leaves so much variety and replayability but eliminates the ability to memorize and strategize. I've been blowing off the maidens altogether until I get a better feel for the game, it seems like an unnecessary obstacle during the early learning stages and I more want to progress and see what other levels the game has to offer.

It's kept me playing for a good part of the day so far, but I had to step away from it for a bit before I started hating it.

VicRattlehead
07-05-2012, 10:56 AM
I've got a shortcut right now; you need to reach the end of Mine three times to give to the miner what he needs to realize the shortcut: a bomb, a rope and 10.000 gold for the work. The third time the shortcut become avaible directly from the main room, on the right next to the trial room

EDIT: I agree with Mabus, the ranzomization is a blessing and a curse because sometime there are points that aren't playable without taking damage..

xThrasher1984x
07-05-2012, 11:06 AM
You unlock the first shortcut after you give the explorer at the end of the mines 3 things: rope, bombs and a certain amount of gold (mine was 10,000), you can only give him one set per time (first time you see him it's two bombs, next time it's two rope and finally gold) meaning you must reach the end of the mines 3 times with the required amounts. After these requirements are met you can access the shortcut by using the left ladder in the entrance where you drop down from the rope. You will know when it's unlocked as there is an avatar award for unlocking the first one, I'm presuming it's the same process of helping the explorer open shortcuts later on. Hope this helps :)

Exusia83
07-05-2012, 11:17 AM
The fear of death adds a lot of tension and excitement.
It's frustrating at first but without it the game would become boring very quickly.
You're forced to pay attention and come up with strategies while playing.
I've died more than 200 times and still have not beaten the game (the last world really is a pain in the ass).

Btw, a note on shortcuts (from the pc version of the game, however):

Reaching a new "world" (for example the jungle) for the SECOND time will make a miner appear during the transition. He will ask for money and paying him will allow him to build a shortcut to that world. You don't have to pay all of it at once.

I did not yet play the XBLA version, so I can't verify it's the same for the XBLA version.

Edit: So the shortcuts are more or less unlocked the same way but with different materials and slightly more playthroughs. Sounds like a reasonable change to me.

SnapDragon
07-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Yeah, the unlocking works a bit differently than the PC version.
For the first shortcut, he asks for 1 bomb, 1 rope, then 10,000 gold.
For the second shortcut, the tunnel guy asks for 2 bombs, 2 ropes, and then a shotgun. (You can get it from shopkeepers or blowing up a grave marked "ASH" :))
For the third shortcut, the tunnel guy asks for 3 bombs, 3 ropes, and then ... you have to bring him the Gold Key, which is only found in one Mines level. Yep, you'll have to start from the beginning and carry the Key all the way to 4-1. Nothing in this game comes easy. :)

Turdboi
07-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Totally in agreement with this, the game is lots of fun and the randomiser of the levels adds incredibly to the replay ability but fuck me it can be annoying, you survive one terror only to be pounced on by another or worse still when you need one bomb to gather a treasure, enter the black market, save a damsel etc but can't find one anywhere lol.

The Hypnotoad
07-05-2012, 02:57 PM
I think the game is flawed. Its a nice idea for a freeware PC game but to pay £10 and get fucked over by the game making the levels completely random is a bit crap if you ask me.

Giving it another go but at the minute its the worse 1200 point purchase ive made on the xbox.

sepulturas666
07-05-2012, 03:50 PM
I think the game is flawed. Its a nice idea for a freeware PC game but to pay £10 and get fucked over by the game making the levels completely random is a bit crap if you ask me.

Giving it another go but at the minute its the worse 1200 point purchase ive made on the xbox.

Really? I love the randomly generated nature of Spelunky. The game would get boring as hell if you can always breeze through the same levels.
This can be real nightmare for completionists tho - for the speed run in this game not only you should be super skilled, but also have a lot of luck in this run. As others mentioned above, XBLA version is much harder than freeware one.

The Hypnotoad
07-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Really? I love the randomly generated nature of Spelunky. The game would get boring as hell if you can always breeze through the same levels.
This can be real nightmare for completionists tho - for the speed run in this game not only you should be super skilled, but also have a lot of luck in this run. As others mentioned above, XBLA version is much harder than freeware one.

btw What's the best way to kill shopkeepers? How many shots from shotgun they take?

Well the 360 comparison I make is Super Meat Boy

Both 1200 points, both frustrating platformers, both with a ton of short levels. The difference is while Spelunky is completely random SMB has 100 odd set levels where you know what's coming so you can practice and learn.

I just think for £10 its quite a let down.

DROGTURIST
07-05-2012, 06:44 PM
I love the game but the randomization really could've used some more lenient and thought-out rules. Like maybe don't put a trap right in front of the shop so it's impossible to enter - that's just mean and not fun! Maybe don't generate damsels 10 blocks deep so it's a massive waste to rescue them. Or how about not generating the entrance to the black market in the ceiling so it's impossible to reach without sticky bombs, while not generating any giant spiders (which give you sticky bombs) on previous levels.

Stuff like that could've been put in there to make the game fun without making it any less challenging. It's just demotivating and boring to get far and run into some shit like the above and having to start over, meaning the past 20 minutes just ended up being a pointless waste of time. Since the levels are random, that previous attempt isn't even good for practice!

The original version of the game had the excuse of being made in Game Maker, which probably doesn't give the creator enough power over the randomization, but this version was re-coded from the ground up and does not get the same free pass... Like I said, I do enjoy the game but it's hard not to sigh and give up when you're put into an impossible situation at the end of a good run.

Seppälä
07-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Well, this game is not for everyone. Addictive as hell though.

F Swan
07-05-2012, 11:17 PM
I love the game but the randomization really could've used some more lenient and thought-out rules. Like maybe don't put a trap right in front of the shop so it's impossible to enter - that's just mean and not fun! Maybe don't generate damsels 10 blocks deep so it's a massive waste to rescue them. Or how about not generating the entrance to the black market in the ceiling so it's impossible to reach without sticky bombs, while not generating any giant spiders (which give you sticky bombs) on previous levels.

Stuff like that could've been put in there to make the game fun without making it any less challenging. It's just demotivating and boring to get far and run into some shit like the above and having to start over, meaning the past 20 minutes just ended up being a pointless waste of time. Since the levels are random, that previous attempt isn't even good for practice!

The original version of the game had the excuse of being made in Game Maker, which probably doesn't give the creator enough power over the randomization, but this version was re-coded from the ground up and does not get the same free pass... Like I said, I do enjoy the game but it's hard not to sigh and give up when you're put into an impossible situation at the end of a good run.

Been keeping an eye on this game, but this sort of thing really puts me off.
Give me difficulty fine, but just plain messed up like that is not good for my stress levels!

SnapDragon
07-06-2012, 12:03 AM
I don't agree, Drog. There's almost always a way to get through a tricky setup; usually if you end up stuck it's because you wasted your resources earlier. Some levels are harder than others; you have to learn to deal with it. The runs I mess up vastly outnumber the ones where the randomness made it impossible.

(Oh, and if a maiden takes too many resources to rescue... don't rescue her, and try to get hit less. :P)

DROGTURIST
07-06-2012, 07:17 AM
I don't agree, Drog. There's almost always a way to get through a tricky setup; usually if you end up stuck it's because you wasted your resources earlier. Some levels are harder than others; you have to learn to deal with it. The runs I mess up vastly outnumber the ones where the randomness made it impossible.

(Oh, and if a maiden takes too many resources to rescue... don't rescue her, and try to get hit less. :P)I'm not complaining about it being too hard, I'm saying it's demotivating when the game creates shitty situations, which it inavoidably does constantly. I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/ZuWi7.jpg

That's level 1-1, and that's the entrance to the level on the right. That's just crappy!

Spock
07-06-2012, 08:57 AM
That's level 1-1, and that's the entrance to the level on the right. That's just crappy!

lol, I've had a damsel spawn dead before. :p

Shiny Pidgey
07-06-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm starting to think this game isn't marketed right. It's not a platformer with randomly generated levels, it's a roguelike with platforming gameplay. Yeah, sometimes the game is going to create annoying or even downright unwinnable situations, but if you find something annoying you can ignore it and if you find something unwinnable you could probably have gotten out of it if you had collected the right supplies beforehand. The game is as much about luck and forethought as it is about skill and reflexes, if not more. If you're getting frustrated with it, you're either approaching it wrong, or playing for too long at a time.

I'm not complaining about it being too hard, I'm saying it's demotivating when the game creates shitty situations, which it inavoidably does constantly. I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/ZuWi7.jpg

Why? If it's 1-1 and you just started the run, a single missed damsel shouldn't matter much. And even so, it's probably not impossible to get her out. I'll bet a giant spider spawned somewhere on that map that you could get some paste from. Or a shop you could buy/steal some from. Toss a rope up there and stick a bomb underneath her.

lol, I've had a damsel spawn dead before. :p

Er, no you didn't. You had a damsel spawn in a bad situation, and she died before you found her. Semantics, I guess, but still.

Spock
07-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Er, no you didn't. You had a damsel spawn in a bad situation, and she died before you found her. Semantics, I guess, but still.

I know, but it's pretty much the same thing. Spawning next to a Tiki Trap = spawning dead.

DROGTURIST
07-06-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm starting to think this game isn't marketed right. It's not a platformer with randomly generated levels, it's a roguelike with platforming gameplay.It is being marketed as a platforming roguelike. And, by the way, the only cart that's ever been in my DSi (which I bought when it came out) is Shiren the Wanderer, so I am well aware of what Spelunky is.

(Granted, I haven't actually booted that DSi in well over a year... I should, still didn't get to that final bonus dungeon.)

Yeah, sometimes the game is going to create annoying or even downright unwinnable situations, but if you find something annoying you can ignore it and if you find something unwinnable you could probably have gotten out of it if you had collected the right supplies beforehand. The game is as much about luck and forethought as it is about skill and reflexes, if not more. If you're getting frustrated with it, you're either approaching it wrong, or playing for too long at a time.But that's my entire point. Let's be honest and fair and not overblow the "forethought" aspect here - it simply translates to "try to stock up on as many bombs and ropes as you can and, hey, if you find a jetpack that's pretty sweet too." That's really it for strategy for this game and since it's not very hard to figure out, I've obviously been using it since I started playing the game.

My point is that the game often does not give you the option to have foresight, since it'll spawn equipment boxes deep within walls or will give you either no shops or shops full of ropes when you'd much rather have even a small bomb sack.

Like I've been saying, it's just boring when you get to the Jungle with $80k, a jetpack and a shotgun...but 0 bombs. 0 bombs because the game generated arrow traps with no rocks/vases/skulls nearby, forcing you to sacrifice a bomb or 2 life, for example. So it turns out that I just wasted 15 minutes on that run and I'm not a huge fan of games pointlessly wasting my time.

Why? If it's 1-1 and you just started the run, a single missed damsel shouldn't matter much. And even so, it's probably not impossible to get her out. I'll bet a giant spider spawned somewhere on that map that you could get some paste from. Or a shop you could buy/steal some from. Toss a rope up there and stick a bomb underneath her.Come on, that's BS and you know it. My entire point is that, no, there is absolutely no guarantee that the game generated a way for you to get sticky bombs in order to save this damsel. There is no "probably" about it; the best the game offers is "maybe" and that's what I'm saying is boring. What I'm saying is that if the game behaved like you just said it does, I'd be fine with it, but it doesn't.

Shiny Pidgey
07-06-2012, 11:19 AM
But that's my entire point. Let's be honest and fair and not overblow the "forethought" aspect here

Well, sure, but at the same time consider that the situation you were showing had almost no bearing on anything. Who cares that you can't save that damsel? One point of health is very rarely going to make a significant difference (though, to be fair, not never).

0 bombs because the game generated arrow traps with no rocks/vases/skulls nearby, forcing you to sacrifice a bomb or 2 life, for example.

Anecdotal, but I've never had this happen to me. I've wasted nearby pots/skulls only to realize I needed them for this, but never actually had none be there. Not to say it can't happen, though.

And while I'm sure you know this, you can use a rope to set them off as well. If you're still in the mines or early jungle and you're out of both ropes AND bombs, you fucked up somewhere, or you had literally the worst possible luck. It's silly to act like a situation that happens very rarely is the norm.

So it turns out that I just wasted 15 minutes on that run and I'm not a huge fan of games pointlessly wasting my time.

Why are you playing the game if a run where you end up dying is considered "pointless" and "wasted time?" If you only think it's worthwhile to win or get a high score, you're probably playing the wrong game. If dying that early on is what's bothering you about it, use the shortcuts?

Come on, that's BS and you know it. My entire point is that, no, there is absolutely no guarantee that the game generated a way for you to get sticky bombs in order to save this damsel. There is no "probably" about it; the best the game offers is "maybe" and that's what I'm saying is boring. What I'm saying is that if the game behaved like you just said it does, I'd be fine with it, but it doesn't.

It's probably, because there's like an 80% chance of a giant spider spawning in a mines level. And again, if there's no way to get her, what's the big deal anyway? You don't need her.

I'm not saying that the game can't dick you around, of course it can. I'm saying that doesn't make it a bad game. If it bothers you a lot, then it's just not the game for you. "Boring" is probably the last word I'd use to describe Spelunky. It's the nature of random levels that sometimes you're going to get boned by them. The game wouldn't be anywhere near as interesting if it had static levels.

DROGTURIST
07-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Well, sure, but at the same time consider that the situation you were showing had almost no bearing on anything. Who cares that you can't save that damsel? One point of health is very rarely going to make a significant difference (though, to be fair, not never).I'm not talking about the picture and that situation alone, that would be shallow and stupid. I took the picture because it perfectly encapsulates what I don't like about the randomization.

Why are you playing the game if a run where you end up dying is considered "pointless" and "wasted time?" If you only think it's worthwhile to win or get a high score, you're probably playing the wrong game. If dying that early on is what's bothering you about it, use the shortcuts?I don't even understand what you mean by this comment. Are you aware of what site you're posting on? I'm looking to get achievements, so yeah, runs that end in stupid situations are a waste of time.

I'm not saying that the game can't dick you around, of course it can. I'm saying that doesn't make it a bad game. If it bothers you a lot, then it's just not the game for you. "Boring" is probably the last word I'd use to describe Spelunky. It's the nature of random levels that sometimes you're going to get boned by them. The game wouldn't be anywhere near as interesting if it had static levels.I'm not saying that it's bad either; I clarified twice in my original post that I like it.

But my point is that game programming is not some kind of magic and it's not like the game magicians can only conjure static or random levels. When they program the randomization, they can set rules to it, which they obviously have in Spelunky. Otherwise it would generate completely impossible situations like spawning you next to a spike trap and such. I'm saying they could've put more work into the randomization to have the game work with us as players a little more than it does now.

There is a clear difference between high difficulty and just dicking us around, as you say, and I'd prefer it if this game stayed firmly on the side of just being difficult, but it has one foot in difficult territory and one foot in dicking territory and I'm not a fan of that type of game design.

SnapDragon
07-06-2012, 01:43 PM
I've only had a few instances where I truly, justifiably felt dicked around by the game. (One was a City of Gold run where a crocman got hit by a magma man and teleported INTO me, fragging me!)

Honestly, you just need to get better. And you won't unless you realize that most of your deaths are Your Fault. (Especially in the Mines...)

The game gives you so many tools, it's ridiculous. I keep learning new ways to handle tough situations. For instance, to get past an arrow trap, you can throw literally ANYTHING, including rats, chests, crates, and even whipping gold into it. And, of course, you can fall past it safely if you're about 3-4 squares away.

VixyNyan
07-06-2012, 08:13 PM
I can say that I was almost able to reach the City of Gold, but things went out of hand in the Temple. I did have a Shotgun, Cape, Compass, you name it. I couldn't find any Scepter-holding enemies in the early Temple area, either the Scepter didn't drop when killing them or it fell off somewhere, like lava or something. I went all the way to buy the Ankh for 50,000 gold too until that run got ruined in the level. ^^;

But on a brighter side, I have no problems getting the key and chest, and then collecting the Ankh and reaching the Moai head in Ice Caves, I've done that countless time by now. It's just that some enemies likes to disrupt the environment (like disturbing the Kali statue and the Shopkeepers) so that I get chased around by the Shopkeepers for not doing anything lol. xD

I'm not sure if I should keep focusing on that run again or if I should go for a different one (or just decide to hunt the Shopkeepers instead lol). :3

Spock
07-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Sometimes this game does screw you over... this is me carrying the gold key from the mines to the end of the Ice Caves. I was just about through the Jungle when death cheated me.

http://i.imgur.com/Qgk9n.gif

SnapDragon
07-06-2012, 11:35 PM
I can say that I was almost able to reach the City of Gold, but things went out of hand in the Temple. I did have a Shotgun, Cape, Compass, you name it. I couldn't find any Scepter-holding enemies in the early Temple area, either the Scepter didn't drop when killing them or it fell off somewhere, like lava or something. I went all the way to buy the Ankh for 50,000 gold too until that run got ruined in the level. ^^;

The Scepter is dropped by the unique Anubis enemy in 4-1 (NOT Mummies like in the PC version). He's the jackal-headed god flying around shooting pink rings at you.

By the way, I don't recommend using the Scepter as a weapon. It's unbelievably risky, since the pink rings can double back and instakill you with no warning.

VixyNyan
07-07-2012, 12:54 AM
Yay I reached City of Gold~ (TA profile update! (http://www.trueachievements.com/Spelunky-xbox-360.htm?gamerid=284902)) ^u^

But aw the dilemma... no bombs lol. XD

Spock
07-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Just spotted this on the leaderboard:

http://i.imgur.com/sotz7.gif

Now that would be frustrating.

WalterWhite
07-07-2012, 06:23 PM
The game can be frustrating at times but I think the randomly generated level design cuts down on it for me alot. I think the game is an instant classic and while not exactly as high on the list as Braid or Limbo, very close. The only thing I don't care for is the levels that spawn you in the dark, those really suck. Alot of games do this and I just find it annoying. I thought it was the one stupid part about Limbo also, wandering through the caves in search of those eggs. What's so fun about my screen being black and me dying because I can't see anything? I wouldn't take either game down for it because it's a small part, I just don't like it.

stiqetastic
07-08-2012, 01:00 AM
Like I've been saying, it's just boring when you get to the Jungle with $80k, a jetpack and a shotgun...but 0 bombs. 0 bombs because the game generated arrow traps with no rocks/vases/skulls nearby, forcing you to sacrifice a bomb or 2 life, for example. So it turns out that I just wasted 15 minutes on that run and I'm not a huge fan of games pointlessly wasting my time.

I just wanted to point out you can whip arrows from arrow-traps mid flight?
It takes a lot of skill and a little bit of luck but if your timing is good you don't need to sacrifice bombs OR health in that situation.

Spock
07-08-2012, 02:53 AM
Holy crap, I just got more frustrated than I have in the past few years of playing video games. I've been trying to get the gold key from the Mines to the end of the Ice Caves to unlock the shortcut to the Temple. I got to 3-4 two times and died directly beside the exit once. I got to 3-3 two times as well, and 3-1 probably four times. Finally just got that done. So relieved lol.

[Edit]: Oh wow, if I knew what I was doing when I went into the boss fight, I could have been in the top 10 for best times.

Stiqe
07-08-2012, 09:39 AM
No damage, no action button run

for those who think this game is unfair / TOO hard.

as long as you take the necessary precautions and minimize risk you can deal with anything this game throws at you.

he offers some useful tips in the video, as well.

Scottcool
07-08-2012, 02:06 PM
for those who think this game is unfair / TOO hard.

as long as you take the necessary precautions and minimize risk you can deal with anything this game throws at you.

I love this game, but the xbla version appears 2 be a lot harder than what he just did, there is no way that i can get to the end of temple levels by doing 4 jumps down.

sepulturas666
07-08-2012, 02:24 PM
I love this game, but the xbla version appears 2 be a lot harder than what he just did, there is no way that i can get to the end of temple levels by doing 4 jumps down.

Yep XBLA version has more enemies and they are faster. I would be interested to see no attack/no damage runs in the new version. Of course, it's possible, but a lot harder than pc version. Also Temple levels are bigger. :)

DROGTURIST
07-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Yeah, don't really see how that video applies to the XBLA version at all. The game has been made harder in every single little way on XBLA...

But I've got the definition of frustrating right here! I managed to beat Olmec and make it through the game with no shortcuts, but as I got out of the pit he creates I was jumped by a monkey. I was holding the Scepter and sort of kneejerked at pressing the X button even though it wouldn't have helped get the monkey off. The pink ball turned right around and instakilled me, two steps from the exit.

So...yeah, don't even bother picking up the Scepter unless you're going to the City of Gold.

Stiqe
07-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Yeah, don't really see how that video applies to the XBLA version at all. The game has been made harder in every single little way on XBLA...

While I do acknowledge the XBLA version has been made a buttload harder, it still doesn't change the fact that it's still absolutely possible. I'm fairly hopefuly Derek's gonna release a few fixes for some of the more annoying level-generation screw ups, but for the most part if something kills you it's because you didn't deal with the situation optimally?

NOT that I'm saying "woah this game is so easy ALL the time you guys!"

Personally I'm just as pissed as you guys, i've made it to olmec four times from the beginning with a co-op partner, one of those times without getting ANY gold, and the bastard managed to squish me on a technicality EACH time.
(gap not functioning correctly, squished without being under him, squished while ON TOP OF HIS HEAD ARGH) etc)

DROGTURIST
07-08-2012, 09:38 PM
While I do acknowledge the XBLA version has been made a buttload harder, it still doesn't change the fact that it's still absolutely possible.Of course it's possible, but I think this thread is more about "is it reasonably feasible?" I mean, it's possible for a person to, I don't know, double flip a bike but most of us posting here would most likely break our necks if we tried.

Personally I'm just as pissed as you guys, i've made it to olmec four times from the beginning with a co-op partner, one of those times without getting ANY gold, and the bastard managed to squish me on a technicality EACH time.
(gap not functioning correctly, squished without being under him, squished while ON TOP OF HIS HEAD ARGH) etc)Wow, so that time where I swear that he didn't actually crush me but I still died actually did happen?

I've also had shopkeepers kill me with their back turned, and just now I had an awesome run for 500k going and I tossed a bomb at a floor 4-5 blocks below and away from me but the blast magically killed me anyway. Not to mention the time the Scepter's pink ball grabbed a damsel which instantly killed me for no reason even though the ball was holding the damsel. This game is awesome and ridiculously addictive but it's got some weird glitches.

Thee Elf
07-08-2012, 10:41 PM
For having never played the PC version, the biggest disadvantage I see if the night levels. The PC version definitely seems easier. I definitely see this being a 10/10 on achievement difficulty.

SnapDragon
07-09-2012, 12:02 AM
I've also had shopkeepers kill me with their back turned, and just now I had an awesome run for 500k going and I tossed a bomb at a floor 4-5 blocks below and away from me but the blast magically killed me anyway. Not to mention the time the Scepter's pink ball grabbed a damsel which instantly killed me for no reason even though the ball was holding the damsel. This game is awesome and ridiculously addictive but it's got some weird glitches.

Bombs can kill you at a distance with debris. The gold nuggets they uncover only hurt enemies, but if there are stones, arrows, chests, or even (I think) gold bars near the bomb the flying debris can hurt you a lot.

I almost never use the Scepter as a weapon on a real run. It's just too risky.

A large part of the learning process is figuring out what endangers you. If you die and don't know why, you're probably missing something.

DROGTURIST
07-09-2012, 06:46 AM
Bombs can kill you at a distance with debris. The gold nuggets they uncover only hurt enemies, but if there are stones, arrows, chests, or even (I think) gold bars near the bomb the flying debris can hurt you a lot.But how is that not bullshit? Am I supposed to jetpack several screens away to be safe from every bomb I place? If I'm a full 5 blocks away and on a level above the blast, it's just absurd for the game to kill me. I had 6 life and there wasn't even anything lying around on the floor, I just placed the bomb on an empty floor (with a mummy 6-7 blocks to the left of it though) and jetpacked back up to the nearest ledge and when it exploded, I just suddenly died. That's plain bullshit, not me being bad at games.

A large part of the learning process is figuring out what endangers you. If you die and don't know why, you're probably missing something.Why are you fanboying so hard for this game? I know you like it and so do I, but it is entirely possible for it to have glitches and mistakes, you know. Dying when the Scepter's pink ball isn't even close to me is a glitch and a tiny bit of debris, or whatever it was, killing me when I'm definitely out of what should be harm's way is a design mistake.

SnapDragon
07-09-2012, 08:12 AM
But how is that not bullshit? Am I supposed to jetpack several screens away to be safe from every bomb I place? If I'm a full 5 blocks away and on a level above the blast, it's just absurd for the game to kill me. I had 6 life and there wasn't even anything lying around on the floor, I just placed the bomb on an empty floor (with a mummy 6-7 blocks to the left of it though) and jetpacked back up to the nearest ledge and when it exploded, I just suddenly died. That's plain bullshit, not me being bad at games.

Um, it's not bullshit because you can easily prevent it by checking the area before you set off explosives. Like everything else in this game, it's on you to be careful. That's not a bug that's going to get fixed, in case you're wondering. Mind you, debris doesn't take off 6 lives. I wasn't there, so I don't know what happened to you. But I can say random explosion deaths have never happened to me, and I've played a LOT...

Random deaths from the Scepter and Olmec, on the other hand, definitely happen. I never use the Scepter, and I never use the "fast" strategy on Olmec on a real run (even on my speed run I tunneled under him with bombs!).

Why are you fanboying so hard for this game? I know you like it and so do I, but it is entirely possible for it to have glitches and mistakes, you know. Dying when the Scepter's pink ball isn't even close to me is a glitch and a tiny bit of debris, or whatever it was, killing me when I'm definitely out of what should be harm's way is a design mistake.

It's possibly my favorite game of the year, which seems a good reason to be a "fanboy". And it seems to me like you're just frustrated (it's a very frustrating game at times!) and complaining about everything you see, justified or not. I see very little wrong with the randomized levels, and a hell of a lot right. They're not going to patch the very nature of the game away, so if you don't like it, maybe you should play something else? :)

DROGTURIST
07-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Um, it's not bullshit because you can easily prevent it by checking the area before you set off explosives. Like everything else in this game, it's on you to be careful. That's not a bug that's going to get fixed, in case you're wondering. Mind you, debris doesn't take off 6 lives. I wasn't there, so I don't know what happened to you. But I can say random explosion deaths have never happened to me, and I've played a LOT...They hadn't happened to me either, except for this situation, where it did happen. I'm saying that I was well clear of the explosion, nothing fell on me and I lost 6 hearts just like that - that's the entire point here, that it was a bullshit freakout glitch!

It's possibly my favorite game of the year, which seems a good reason to be a "fanboy". And it seems to me like you're just frustrated (it's a very frustrating game at times!) and complaining about everything you see, justified or not. I see very little wrong with the randomized levels, and a hell of a lot right. They're not going to patch the very nature of the game away, so if you don't like it, maybe you should play something else? :)Well, the reason I'm saying "fanboy" is because you're reading things in my posts that I'm not saying, and refusing to acknowledge that perhaps this game does have an issue or two. You've been responding like I'm complaining about it being too hard, which I've never stated nor implied, and now you're saying that I'm complaining about "every little thing" when I've only leveled complaints at the randomization engine not being perfect and a little list of three bullshit deaths I've had as a response to someone talking about bullshit deaths. They do happen, even if they haven't happened to you.

I mean, you can argue that, for example, my picture example can be ignored because you don't need a damsel on level 1-1 and that's fine, but the picture proves that the engine can create frustrating crap and that was my entire point. I never talked about it making the game too hard or frustrating, just that the randomization could use some work. I said "impossible situation," but that doesn't mean "impossible to survive;" it can also mean "that damsel is impossible to save," and she is. You interpreting that as "the game is too hard" is on you, as I've said no such thing.

The Hypnotoad
07-09-2012, 11:37 AM
TBH the game is growing on me.

The Jungle is hard as hell and the random levels can really fuck you over at time (exits to caves between two tikki traps) but Ive got the shortcut to ice levels now and Im starting to enjoy it.

Furthest Ive got so far is 4-3 (2-4 from the beginning) and I just got annihilated, started the cave with 6 health and lost it all in about 2 seconds.

AltarofPlagues
07-09-2012, 12:30 PM
ive managed to unlock the shortcut to the temple now but seriously, I get owned at the temple everytime. its overpopulated with things that want to kill you, Im finding it a right pain. only got to Olmec once, what do you even do? Just avoid it?

DROGTURIST
07-09-2012, 12:55 PM
ive managed to unlock the shortcut to the temple now but seriously, I get owned at the temple everytime. its overpopulated with things that want to kill you, Im finding it a right pain. only got to Olmec once, what do you even do? Just avoid it?You need to make him commit suicide by falling into the lava below the ground he's stomping on, so you need to either make him stomp the same stop 5-6 times, or place the same number of bombs in the same spot while luring him to other spots.

As for the shortcuts, I find them useless myself. Throwing yourself into the Temple with 4 life, 4 bombs and 4 ropes is, in my opinion, a bigger headache than just starting from the beginning and rushing through the first few levels. Most of the achievements in the game are for full-game runs, so it's good to get practice in and when you do start from the beginning, you can make it to the Temple all geared up with awesome equipment.

jorax
07-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Hard to get practice in later levels when its tough to reliably get to them though. The shortcuts are fantastic for getting accustomed to the new enemies and traps with limited resources to deal with them.

Seppälä
07-10-2012, 05:02 PM
That f*cking temple can go f*ck itself >:(

sepulturas666
07-10-2012, 06:04 PM
That f*cking temple can go f*ck itself >:(

Frustrating, isn't it? :)

I hate when had a good run and the game cheat me with dark level. It's next to impossible (at least for me) if that happens in the Temple.

Seppälä
07-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Frustrating, isn't it? :)

I hate when had a good run and the game cheat me with dark level. It's next to impossible (at least for me) if that happens in the Temple.

Oh, God I hate those dark levels. Got two in a row once.
I hate that this game is so addictive too.

:P

DeadMansHand
07-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Random levels will produce random results. Sometimes I enjoy it, sometimes I hate it. Sometimes I feel lucky, sometimes I feel cheated.

Good article from the designer:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/173347/Spelunky_Its_all_right_to_be_mean.php

VixyNyan
07-11-2012, 07:08 PM
I am almost finished with the journal and the Hell level. I only need to beat the True Last Boss and rescue the tutorial guy~ ;3

Many attempts but I have been able to reach Hell a couple of times now. ^^b

Sceneman
07-12-2012, 01:17 AM
I am almost finished with the journal and the Hell level. I only need to beat the True Last Boss and rescue the tutorial guy~ ;3

Many attempts but I have been able to reach Hell a couple of times now. ^^b

mad pro!

I just got this game yesterday and I love it!

Sooooo hard but that's what makes it good. Spent 5 hours on it yesterday without even barely moving from my chair, I'm hooked.

AltarofPlagues
07-12-2012, 01:58 AM
better player than me, clearly. I just got the addicted achivement, but only through dying so many times. Ive officially died 1000 times and not completed the game yet

VixyNyan
07-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Well I did have a "Weekly Scores" run where I reached level 5-4 with 180k gold, but it got replaced with a 390k gold score. Sorry. ^^;

Thee Elf
07-12-2012, 04:55 AM
better player than me, clearly. I just got the addicted achivement, but only through dying so many times. Ive officially died 1000 times and not completed the game yet

This game can definitely be on the frustrating side. Just wait until you start going for the City of Gold/Hell runs. I don't know how many times I get the Ankh and something stupid happens on level 3-1 causing me to use it before I get to 3-2. Finally decided to take a break from it.

BanditBanks
07-12-2012, 10:19 AM
I seriously wish the shopkeepers would be patched in a way that make them not so fucking brutal.
The amount of times I've made it to the Black Market, only for a snail to blow a bubble in the shop, or have a bomb frog blow up a fraction of the shop.
Ruined so many good runs. Along with the ridiculous stun time when you get hit
Having so many hearts reduced to death because of being chain stunned by those boomerang guys.

/rant

AltarofPlagues
07-12-2012, 11:08 AM
im trying for the city of gold now. I have had the ankh a few times, then literally slipped up slightly on the ice caves and got stunned etc and died. the cape makes the ice caves a piece of piss but you cant always rely on having it. jetpack makes things easier too, but again, cant always rely on having it.

Scottcool
07-12-2012, 01:00 PM
im trying for the city of gold now. I have had the ankh a few times, then literally slipped up slightly on the ice caves and got stunned etc and died. the cape makes the ice caves a piece of piss but you cant always rely on having it. jetpack makes things easier too, but again, cant always rely on having it.

I don't want to sound condescending as i'm sure you have your own strat but my technique now is to save up as much as possible in the mines, not collecting damsels just treasure and the udjat eye. The only thing i would spend money on is a cape or jet pack, then if you don't have one by the jungle you can get 1 or the other in the black market.

I've just finally managed to save 10 damsels and kill 12 shopkeepers (not in the same run, are u insane) I'd say the freeze ray being in the shop on 1-2 is the easiest first shopkeeper kill but it has to be shotgun from then on, getting the udjat eye so you can go buck wild in the black market is essential also.

zalexzy
07-13-2012, 09:23 AM
cape or jet pack, then if you don't have one by the jungle you can get 1 or the other in the black market.

Lol, I never had either one of those in black market, they usually selling just everything else. Have completed game, now trying to get in to golden city and hell.

Aksh0le
07-13-2012, 10:24 PM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/Aksh0le/spelunky.jpg

I was so damn close, that Blue Frog ended it all. I guess I was about 30 seconds off of speedlunky but it's totally dooable. It's frustrating yes but not impossible.

Scottcool
07-14-2012, 02:05 PM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/Aksh0le/spelunky.jpg

I was so damn close, that Blue Frog ended it all. I guess I was about 30 seconds off of speedlunky but it's totally dooable. It's frustrating yes but not impossible.

Unlucky!

I was replaying the ice levels from the shortcut to get to the mothership and on 3-1 a mine went off immediately on the shrine angering kali, went to 3-2 it happened again.

I then discovered that if you really anger kali like this you get a ball and chain attached to you that drags you down the level and stops you going back up.

VixyNyan
07-14-2012, 02:47 PM
I would recommend to only rob the shopkeepers (and ghost run) if you're going for 500,000 gold. Leave the shopkeepers alone on your other runs, like the Hell level, journal and new characters achievements. That way you will stay safe and you will most likely afford the Ankh anyway.

When you reach Olmec, you will be able to use ropes or a jetpack to reach the top area and stock up on your bombs, since it will be very useful against the True Last Boss fight in Hell (if you don't have Shotgun, also it would be important to get Paste as well). But if you feel confident in your Spelunky skills, then go ahead and rob the shopkeepers for higher scores. ( >w<)

Jakez123
07-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Is this game harder than Super meat boy and N+?

BanditBanks
07-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Is this game harder than Super meat boy and N+?

Miles harder. Those games are super hard platformers that require skill and muscle memory.
While this game isn't as hard 'platform' wise, it does require quite a lot of luck when trying to go for specific achievements.

Also, the levels in Spelunky are randomly generated, so you can't really learn a path to the exit. You always have to on your toes.

GSpot84
07-16-2012, 02:30 AM
This board is fairly quiet compared to most XBLA achievement forums. Guessing it has to do with the difficulty but I'm proud to say I finally finished the key run which up until this point was the hardest task I think I've ever completed in a game. Which goes to say I won't be going for 400/400. I will be happy beating the game and getting the shopkeeper and damsel achievements.

sepulturas666
07-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Ah, Olmec killed me right when he fall into lava. I was with around 6 minutes in the clock. Feels bad man. :(

kcifor
07-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Some tips I have learned over the course of almost 500 or so deaths...They are just my opinions but, hey, we can all use anything we can get right?

- If you're struggling trying to get the Iron Man achievement, make sure you get the Eye as well as 50,000 (or at least close) gold. About 5-10 bombs wouldn't hurt either. In the Jungle, get the Ankh from the Black Market but don't sacrifice yourself to get the Hedjet in the Ice Caves. That essentially gives you an extra life to get through the rest of the game, which, as we all probably know, comes in handy in the Temple where rescuing Damsels is borderline impossible without good items.
- Getting through the Temple by way of the shortcut requires very, very selective bomb placement and a lot of luck. Since you're essentially naked, an Anubis or Tomb Lord in a corridor means you're not getting through that way, period, and you'll be forced to bomb downwards if you want to survive. Since you only have four, it's a matter of guessing where the exit is going to be. Good luck!
- Don't mess around with the Scepter. It's nice to give some payback to those guys who have made your life a living hell but one misfire might end a nice run prematurely...stick with that buck-buck.
- If a Shopkeeper has a freeze gun for sale and you want some of his other goods for free, pick it up to lead him away from his corner, freeze him and instantly jump on him to break him into a million pieces. Works everytime.
- Avoid Paste when going for 10 Shopkeeper kills. Especially if you still have some of the mines to go after killing your first.

Jakez123
07-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Miles harder. Those games are super hard platformers that require skill and muscle memory.
While this game isn't as hard 'platform' wise, it does require quite a lot of luck when trying to go for specific achievements.

Also, the levels in Spelunky are randomly generated, so you can't really learn a path to the exit. You always have to on your toes.

Well if it's luck based I doubt it's "hard" then. just re-do it till you get lucky.

BanditBanks
07-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Well if it's luck based I doubt it's "hard" then. just re-do it till you get lucky.

Play it for yourself and say that again haha.

By luck I meant you could luckily find a Jetpack very early, making the rest of the game 'easier' but by no means is the game itself actually 'easy'. Random shops containing a load of bombs would be a very good thing, but then there's also the chance the shop will contain nothing useful at all.

Although, if you were to restart the game until you did find a Jetpack in the first level, you'd be there for a loong time. It would also detract from the whole Spelunky experience.

AltarofPlagues
07-17-2012, 12:19 PM
What I dont understand is why despite this game having a reasonably high profile release, Nobody is playing it. the achievement guide here isnt even complete. hardly anybody is even daring to play it.

BanditBanks
07-17-2012, 12:39 PM
What I dont understand is why despite this game having a reasonably high profile release, Nobody is playing it. the achievement guide here isnt even complete. hardly anybody is even daring to play it.

I think the 1200 price tag is to blame. Even when games are worth it, most people wont spend that much on an 'arcade' title. Which is a shame, this game is definately worth it, if you enjoy a challenging game.

Spock
07-17-2012, 05:32 PM
the achievement guide here isnt even complete.

Well that's because I have to read a quarter of a book each day for 4 days and do an assignment for each quarter. Then I move on to a new batch of fun stuff to do.

I'm just busy.

Jakez123
07-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Play it for yourself and say that again haha.

By luck I meant you could luckily find a Jetpack very early, making the rest of the game 'easier' but by no means is the game itself actually 'easy'. Random shops containing a load of bombs would be a very good thing, but then there's also the chance the shop will contain nothing useful at all.

Although, if you were to restart the game until you did find a Jetpack in the first level, you'd be there for a loong time. It would also detract from the whole Spelunky experience.

It's too expensive. Just sounds like a "Fake" difficulty game the. I am not impressed.

SnapDragon
07-17-2012, 07:38 PM
It's too expensive. Just sounds like a "Fake" difficulty game the. I am not impressed.

What an informed opinion! Please, tell me more about the things you haven't tried that you hate. I await with breathless anticipation.

Jakez123
07-17-2012, 08:47 PM
What an informed opinion! Please, tell me more about the things you haven't tried that you hate. I await with breathless anticipation.

Well, I'm just saying that it's true. I guess I really can't call it "hard" as it is luck based (with a bit of skill).

I never said i hated it. I just said that I wasn't impressed, no need to get all sarcastic.

I might wait for DOTW and then i'll 400/400 this game.

HotSoup
07-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Well, I'm just saying that it's true. I guess I really can't call it "hard" as it is luck based (with a bit of skill).

I never said i hated it. I just said that I wasn't impressed, no need to get all sarcastic.

I created an account just to tell you how stupid you are. This is both one of the hardest and one of the best games I've played in a long time. This is like original Adventure Island hard. It is random but no matter what you HAVE to have skills or you're dead. The demo is free (not that $15 is a lot unless you're a bum) and has the first four levels. See how long it takes you to beat it. Maybe eventually you can beat the game but 400/400? No chance. You will fail, I guarantee it. I dare you to prove me wrong.

Jakez123
07-17-2012, 11:16 PM
I created an account just to tell you how stupid you are. This is both one of the hardest and one of the best games I've played in a long time. This is like original Adventure Island hard. It is random but no matter what you HAVE to have skills or you're dead. The demo is free (not that $15 is a lot unless you're a bum) and has the first four levels. See how long it takes you to beat it. Maybe eventually you can beat the game but 400/400? No chance. You will fail, I guarantee it. I dare you to prove me wrong.

No need to call me names, lets have a good discussion here. I would d-load the demo but i have no space on my hard drive (only a 20GB HD). The next time i go to a friends i'll get the trial. As for the money issue, i have enough obviously but i wont spend 1200 on a game unless i really like it.

you're acting like 400/400 is very hard, maybe it's because you're not good at the game?

Again i'm NOT bashing the game, just voicing my opinion.

AltarofPlagues
07-17-2012, 11:24 PM
When you have played it, then you can talk about brag about how easy you managed to 400/400 it. Until then perhaps you should leave out. why dont you just delete something you are not currently playing and try the game considering you havnt actually played it.

Jakez123
07-17-2012, 11:57 PM
When you have played it, then you can talk about brag about how easy you managed to 400/400 it. Until then perhaps you should leave out. why dont you just delete something you are not currently playing and try the game considering you havnt actually played it.

Hmmm, i'll see if I have anything to delete. I'll definitely try it though, I tend to like hard games and because everyone is telling me it's very hard i'm very inclined to get it now.

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
07-18-2012, 12:05 AM
i wouldn't say the 400 is unobtainably hard. but it will take alot of practice.

AltarofPlagues
07-18-2012, 01:20 AM
Hmmm, i'll see if I have anything to delete. I'll definitely try it though, I tend to like hard games and because everyone is telling me it's very hard i'm very inclined to get it now.

I have died 1272 times, and I have not beaten the game. But I think I just suck at it. I tend to rush I think.

AltarofPlagues
07-18-2012, 01:33 AM
ive also just broken a controller. so yeah. its not always fun.

swirlymanx
07-18-2012, 03:48 AM
Yeah this game is very fun but unforgiving. This random generating levels is a whole new difficulty. At times it seems like you HAVE to take damage. It really sucks when you have to fall and there’s spikes at the bottom. Spikes shouldn’t kill you in one hit.

And about the glitches and the game “dicking/cheating” around, the only thing I think is messed up is the stupid shop keepers. What the hell is their problem? I've noticed the shop keepers (very commonly) tend to freak out and start blasting the bottom of the map even though I'm like a mile away. Not only does it ruin my opportunity to buy something, but it also usually gets me killed because he eventually gets stuck down near the exit.... One time I even bought an item from him, left the shop with my present, opened it and he got set off for no reason. It's also stupid how enemies can make him go crack head on you, he's like a mile away and he even says “you'll pay for your crimes!” …. WTF!? What crimes?

Anyways I have a question about Co-op, does everyone in the game get the achievements? For example my friend wants to play with me and let's say he gets 4 dames and I get 6 do we both get the achievement? Or what if one of us gets all 10 dames does both of us get the achievement? I'm just wondering because I won't want to do all of the achievements twice, when instead we could just do it once on our own. Thanks

Scottcool
07-18-2012, 04:19 AM
ive also just broken a controller. so yeah. its not always fun.

I've seen a few of your posts about and would like to suggest some tips for olmec if the game graces you with his presence. I am assuming that you are trying to do it the fast way as displayed in the speed run video, this way is fast but is also temperamental. You can however adopt 2 different approaches,

firstly you can just dig a hole using bombs, you must have between 15-20 bombs however but by luring olmec to 1 side then quickly running to the other you can just freeze him off screen while you dig your hole, then lead him in, voilà. This method means no enemies to fight at all and you only need to run under olmec once at the beginning (or not at all if you have a jet pack).

Secondly if you have low bombs then you can take your time and use olmec to dig a staircase down to the lava. You need to keep an eye out for when he smashes blocks with treasure in as that is when enemies will spawn (if you don't have sunglasses/udjat eye then this can happen randomly as the secret gems spawn enemies), so use the before mentioned freeze olmec off screen technique and deal with them sensibly then start digging with olmec again when its clear. This way is laborious but is a lot more consistent as you have room to deal with the bad guys. Finally if you have managed to get the kapala on route you can constantly build your health up from collecting all the blood from the many enemies you will kill.

Hope you can take something from this.

Scottcool
07-18-2012, 04:35 AM
I have a question about Co-op, does everyone in the game get the achievements? For example my friend wants to play with me and let's say he gets 4 dames and I get 6 do we both get the achievement? Or what if one of us gets all 10 dames does both of us get the achievement? I'm just wondering because I won't want to do all of the achievements twice, when instead we could just do it once on our own. Thanks

Firstly the journal only fills for the main profile so that can't be done and so only the main profile can unlock new characters so strike that off also. I can't confirm shopkeepers or damsels but i would think you would get it probably if you personally got the desired amount but not for both (only speculation).
I also can't confirm Speedlunky, Low Scorer or Big Money but can't see why they wouldn't be shared. All the rest i can say will unlock for both.

GSpot84
07-18-2012, 04:54 AM

There might be 1 or 2 people in the world that have this game 400/400 and even that I'm not sure of. Very easily could be 0 and in the next few months I can't imagine more than 15 or so people even getting close.

Scottcool
07-18-2012, 05:10 AM
There might be 1 or 2 people in the world that have this game 400/400 and even that I'm not sure of. Very easily could be 0 and in the next few months I can't imagine more than 15 or so people even getting close.

I agree that this game is very hard but it isn't quite that hard. I have three achievements left to get and hope to get them in the next few days, the numbers of people with it maxed are low currently but it has only been out a fortnight and there are many different achievements requiring many different runs with different goals. You would have to have a lot of time on your hands or a lot of luck/skill to have it maxed already

Jakez123
07-18-2012, 12:30 PM

Yea that's because the game is fairly new, give it time and it'll get higher.

sepulturas666
07-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Finally got the ''Speedlunky'' achievement - 6:34 (would have been faster, but i wanted to get my time in the Temple ^^). Also had a great money run and ended with 408k in City of Gold. I have 12 more bombs, so that would be enough to get tons of gold there. However, got killed by one of these magma Guys, which pop-up from the lava. :(

Killing every shopkeeper and cleaning the Black Market nets you tons of bombs. After market i had over 79. :0

edit: Make another run - 445k and i even lost my chance to reach City of Gold (scepter got destroyed by one trap :0). I'm almost there. :)

SnapDragon
07-18-2012, 08:58 PM

There are 4 of us on http://www.trueachievements.com/100club.aspx?gameid=4403 so far. You could probably find a few more if you checked the leaderboards (looking at people with more than $500k). The achievements do seem utterly impossible when you start out, but they can be done. A few weeks of constant practice will do wonders.

Mind you, half the reason there are so "many" completions is because the game is such addictive fun. If a lesser game were this hard, you might not see any at all. :)

There are a few XBLA games that are tougher completions. Robotron, Battlezone, and Asteroids come to mind. But out of the 396 I've managed to complete, this one is probably the hardest. That ought to tell you something... And Jakez, that's why we're scoffing at your overconfidence. :p

Jakez123
07-18-2012, 09:09 PM
There are 4 of us on http://www.trueachievements.com/100club.aspx?gameid=4403 so far. You could probably find a few more if you checked the leaderboards (looking at people with more than $500k). The achievements do seem utterly impossible when you start out, but they can be done. A few weeks of constant practice will do wonders.

Mind you, half the reason there are so "many" completions is because the game is such addictive fun. If a lesser game were this hard, you might not see any at all. :)

There are a few XBLA games that are tougher completions. Robotron, Battlezone, and Asteroids come to mind. But out of the 396 I've managed to complete, this one is probably the hardest. That ought to tell you something... And Jakez, that's why we're scoffing at your overconfidence. :p

Once this game appears on DOTW i'll buy it then complete it. Nothing more or less.

sepulturas666
07-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Yay, finally. Destroyed the whole City of Gold and running out of bombs at 488k. After that got some diamonds during Olmec battle. I'm glad money and speedrun achievements are done. Now will get a little break from this game. My current GOTY so far. :)

http://oi50.tinypic.com/17p9ar.jpg

SnapDragon
07-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Yay, finally. Destroyed the whole City of Gold and running out of bombs at 488k. After that got some diamonds during Olmec battle. I'm glad money and speedrun achievements are done. Now will get a little break from this game. My current GOTY so far. :)

Awesome, congrats! I'd be rather nervous going in to Olmec with under $500k...

sepulturas666
07-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Awesome, congrats! I'd be rather nervous going in to Olmec with under $500k...

Thanks! I was nervous, especially after saw Anubis II there with his skeletons. Thankfully i was able to get few bombs from crate above Olmec and bombed the Anubis. :eek:

VixyNyan
07-19-2012, 08:07 PM
If I didn't die in level 5-3 against a shopkeeper I could have got over 700k in level 5-4. I could try it again someday. o.o

Mos defjukie
07-19-2012, 09:40 PM
The one thing that people don't realize about the difficulty is the pressure cooker you are in when you make it deep into the game. Basically you have like 3-4 real good looks at the achievement you are going for in like 4 hours of gAmeplay. When I get to Olmec, I get all hot and the stomach drops... The stupid low scorer has caused me so much headache and I still haven't gotten it. I always get screwed in the most random way. Explosions with flying gold at the beginning of an ice cave, getting the block traps pushing mummy rubys at me....literally the list is endless.

sepulturas666
07-19-2012, 10:17 PM
The stupid low scorer has caused me so much headache and I still haven't gotten it. I always get screwed in the most random way. Explosions with flying gold at the beginning of an ice cave, getting the block traps pushing mummy rubys at me....literally the list is endless.

Yeah this achievement requires pure luck. I tried few times and always get some little chunk of gold in Jungle. Some of them are well hidden and you almost always pick up them accidentally. Can't see myself getting this achievement anytime soon.

Mos defjukie
07-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Just got gone with low scorer and was a stupid monkey away from getting to hell the very next game. May go for the big money one next. Any tips on the preferred method by the ones who have gotten it? Do you do a terrorist run or just save for bombs. Is there any bomb reward from sacrificing so many damsels in one game? I think I have done 5 at most and remember getting like 6 or so health on the 4th.

sepulturas666
07-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Just got gone with low scorer and was a stupid monkey away from getting to hell the very next game. May go for the big money one next. Any tips on the preferred method by the ones who have gotten it? Do you do a terrorist run or just save for bombs. Is there any bomb reward from sacrificing so many damsels in one game? I think I have done 5 at most and remember getting like 6 or so health on the 4th.

Killing shopkeepers usually nets you tons of bombs, especially in Black Market. Don't spend any of your money - steal all of the stuff.
From what i have read, the reward for sacrificing 4 alive damsels is 99 bombs.

SnapDragon
07-21-2012, 01:04 AM
Killing shopkeepers usually nets you tons of bombs, especially in Black Market. Don't spend any of your money - steal all of the stuff.
From what i have read, the reward for sacrificing 4 alive damsels is 99 bombs.

Sadly, no. That was in the PC version only; it takes more luck with shops to hit high bomb totals now. As far as I can tell, the rewards are:
1 Damsel: random useful item that you don't have yet
2 Damsels: Kapala
Every 2 Damsels after that: 4-8 health

Note that 4 dead Shopkeepers/Yetis = 1 Damsel, and 2 live Yetis = 1 damsel. Not totally sure on the numbers (or how valuable other monsters are), but that's what I go by.

One trick I used for high gold totals was to open up the Shopkeeper vaults, kill the Shopkeeper and shoot open the chests, then wait for the Ghost to come and turn them into diamonds. You'll get $70k-$100k per vault, which helps a lot if you don't luck into very many bombs.

sepulturas666
07-21-2012, 05:45 AM
Sadly, no. That was in the PC version only; it takes more luck with shops to hit high bomb totals now. As far as I can tell, the rewards are:
1 Damsel: random useful item that you don't have yet
2 Damsels: Kapala
Every 2 Damsels after that: 4-8 health

Ah, good to know that. Looks like now it's not worth to sacrifice more than two Damsels.

sepulturas666
07-22-2012, 04:35 PM
I don't think there is something more frustrating in this game than going for Low Scorer achievement. Messed up two times during last boss today. Pretty much the last thing i have to do in the game (still didn't have co-op one, but compared to this will be cake walk). I hate luck based achievements like this one. :(

Mos defjukie
07-23-2012, 08:32 AM
Just got done with the rest of the achievements. I second the fact that Low Scorer was the biggest bitch of them all. I literally died more times attempting to do that one than all the other ones combined...not even close. Although to Hell and Back was very difficult by any means, I feel more in control of the outcome. To put it in perspective, I completed it on my third journey to Hell whereas I probably made it to Olmec without gold around 10 times before winning.

sepulturas666
07-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Got my 400G. Took me almost month playing only this game. What a ride was that! :)

Spock
07-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Got my 400G. Took me almost month playing only this game. What a ride was that! :)

Congrats dude! Any idea what the approximate time of completion would be? Need to add one for the guide.

Mos defjukie
07-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Got my 400G about two days ago and I would estimate around 60-80 hours. I died around 2500 times (1500 related to low scorer). This doesn't include coop deaths for the good teamwork...probably add another 50.

sepulturas666
07-24-2012, 06:39 PM
My death counter is at 1579. Definitely take me well over 60hrs.

Scottcool
07-25-2012, 01:35 AM
I concur on low scorer being horrible, there is nothing worse than getting a load of good free equipment then standing on some hidden gold nugget and having to reset.

I have some tips for anyone going for this,

firstly, if you have access to a second controller then play in co-op get a friend to help or do it on your own. It is just more tedious on your own but you can manage by carrying the other character like a damsel and don't forget they can carry something while you carry them. Basically your goal is to get a free item and the kappala as soon as possible so keep an eye out for an altar, when you find one sacrifice the character with the lowest health and hopefully the damsel too and blow! kappala. Now you can milk the bad guys for health, and you have a helper ghost who can set off traps and blow badly placed gold/enemies out of the way.

Also you need to keep an eye out for events occurring at the beginning of levels, here are my favourites for this run,

Snake pit, always go for the mattock at the bottom as it is invaluable for this achievement, you have to make sure that you place your bomb wisely though as you don't want any gems or gold getting on the mattock. Try not to break it on the level you get it as it will become nearly indestructible after you have gone past one exit.
This is good because if you get to olmec with hardly any bombs you can just dig a hole instead.
It is best combined with the udjat eye or spectacles so you don't accidentally dig up any treasure, but if you do use the ghost to blow it away if you have one.

Dead are Restless, obviously a shotgun can help your cause greatly by blowing up the block under the gravestone marked ash but also keep an eye out for a vampire as killing him for his cape will make the ice levels a lot easier.

I sense a psychic prescience, if you already have a cape and you get this level i would just stay as you are, but if not then the jet pack behind the alien king is very useful. watch out for his force field as it reflects all projectiles.

Finally as i said before the mattock is probably the best item for this achievement as avoiding collecting gold in the olmec fight is annoying. I would say it is best to get there with a good few bombs or the mattock so you can freeze olmec off screen and dig/blow a hole carefully and then lead him in.

Hope this helps anyone

HotSoup
07-25-2012, 04:28 PM
No need to call me names, lets have a good discussion here. I would d-load the demo but i have no space on my hard drive (only a 20GB HD). The next time i go to a friends i'll get the trial. As for the money issue, i have enough obviously but i wont spend 1200 on a game unless i really like it.

you're acting like 400/400 is very hard, maybe it's because you're not good at the game?

Again i'm NOT bashing the game, just voicing my opinion.

Apologies for the name-calling, I had just finished a particularly frustrating run of the game and was a little outraged to see someone who'd never played it calling it "not that hard." It is a very difficult game. I beat it last night after about 1500 deaths but I might not ever beat it the hard way or beat the secret ending because it's just insane what they require you to do. Download the demo since you can play the first 4 levels forever and see how long it takes you to beat just those levels. Then realize that the game gets so much harder and the first 4 levels are actually easy in comparison. It's one of the better games I've played all year though, so I highly recommend buying the actual game.

FlackoWeasel
07-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Oh my fucking god how much those SHOPKEEPERS PISS ME OFF! FUCK THEM! Everytime when I have nice bombs, they STILL fuck up my run. Someone said to shoot those keepers dead in the Black market, but when I shot them, the other shot me (the 2nd from further away) and I died D: .

I also let them kill themself but it took so long a ghost came and I died :C. Fuck why they have to jump like that GRRR.

What are the good ways to kill those fuckers? Sometimes I waste all my bombs because of them :C.

I wanna get the Shopkeeper kill achi, aka kill 10 shopkeepers.

DROGTURIST
07-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Man, okay, I guess Olmec sometimes feels like spamming out enemies like he's a fucking gatling gun... I had no idea that could happen and that just ruined a beautiful run where I had almost $400k, book of the dead, jetpack, shotgun, etc... Turned out to be pretty much impossible to get Olmec to drop by the door to Hell with literally constant enemies coming at me. Getting kinda tired of this game's shit. :(

Someone said to shoot those keepers dead in the Black market, but when I shot them, the other shot me (the 2nd from further away) and I died D: . Don't wait for the shopkeeper to enter your screen, or you'll have no time to react. The black market is a good example; when you know there's a 2nd shopkeeper behind the first one, just stand in the same spot and spam shots to the right.

sepulturas666
07-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Man, okay, I guess Olmec sometimes feels like spamming out enemies like he's a fucking gatling gun... I had no idea that could happen and that just ruined a beautiful run where I had almost $400k, book of the dead, jetpack, shotgun, etc... Turned out to be pretty much impossible to get Olmec to drop by the door to Hell with literally constant enemies coming at me. Getting kinda tired of this game's shit. :(

Tell me about it! I ended up doing huge pit with mattock for Low Scorer achievement. Other methods didn't worked for me, because he throws 6+ enemies at me and i always pick up some gold. Really frustrating stuff.
That said, i didn't have any problems with him when i was going for Hell few times.

Chaosturbo8
07-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Making it to Hell was one of the hardest things in the game. I'm probably going to be at low scorer for a while.

FlackoWeasel
07-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Does he get killed even on offscreen too? I read something about a frozen region. Also does anyone know do the gold and other shiny things become diamonds too? Mine did not, even if the ghost went over them.

Chaosturbo8
07-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Does he get killed even on offscreen too? I read something about a frozen region. Also does anyone know do the gold and other shiny things become diamonds too? Mine did not, even if the ghost went over them.

Only the red, blue and green gems become diamonds.

FlackoWeasel
07-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Ah ok, thanks. I thought everything goes.

explode a tron
08-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Oh fuck, this game is so fucking frustrating. It's merciless. I just needed to vent that...

DROGTURIST
08-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Finally completed Low Scorer and thus the game... Overall very fun game and going for Hell and those achievements was equal parts fun and frustration, but man, Low Scorer was nothing but pure, hellish frustration. I really hate achievements that force you to play the game wrong to begin with, and the invisible gold in this game certainly didn't help any.

I was about to break every piece of furniture in my damn living room when I was five steps from the exit in Temple 4-3, and there was a tiny piece of gold hidden behind one of those eagle heads that's on certain floor tiles. Not to mention all the times there's been hidden gold in Jungle treetops or behind piles of snow in the Ice Caves. Must've had some 40-50 really good attempts ruined by invisible gold...