PDA

View Full Version : Changing Gamertag issue

IC3 L3G3ND
07-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Ok so yesterday i decided i wanted a fresh start but to keep my old tag.

I changed my tag reluctantly paying 800msp making it so i could then choose this with my new account.

However it won't allow me to choose it as it still says it's in use.

I checked xbox.com and that says it isn't valid if i try to add it so i know for certain nobody somehow snagged it already

Is there a time limit before it becomes available again?

I know 100% you can definitely go back to an old tag as i have a friend who has done this in the past

yourbreakfast99
07-05-2012, 03:38 PM
i dont know if there is a time limit but there probably is

DarkReign2021
07-05-2012, 03:44 PM
I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure once a Gamertag is used that's it. It's permenantly done for because Microsoft still stores all profiles in their database regardless of whether you shut the account down or not. I remember a year or two back Microsoft announced they were releasing a large number of previously unusable gamertags, so unless they do that again, it's likely you'll never be able to again. Might be possible to reactivate the old account with all achievemetns and history attached to it, but I doubt you can get the new account with the old name.

IC3 L3G3ND
07-05-2012, 03:54 PM
I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure once a Gamertag is used that's it. It's permenantly done for because Microsoft still stores all profiles in their database regardless of whether you shut the account down or not. I remember a year or two back Microsoft announced they were releasing a large number of previously unusable gamertags, so unless they do that again, it's likely you'll never be able to again. Might be possible to reactivate the old account with all achievemetns and history attached to it, but I doubt you can get the new account with the old name.

Really hoping this isn't the case, I know you can def just change and then change back but yeah i never though about doing it on another account and there is definitely no warning about that anywhere that i'm aware of.

AmbaLaBamba
07-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Some people say it's 7 days and other say it's 14 days, then you get people that say it takes much longer than that. I'm not sure as I've never switched from what I currently use (love it too much) so can't say for sure, but I imagine it wouldn't take too long.

As long as you're sure that the name hasn't been taken.

Gackt
07-05-2012, 06:15 PM
I have changed my tag and changed back to it within 24 hours. So no, there is no time limit.

dwayne_hicks
07-05-2012, 06:19 PM
It took them a very long time (nearly 5 years) for them to start clearing old, out of use tags, so if someone just took it, don't expect it to be free anytime soon.

Rep
07-05-2012, 06:33 PM
There's definitely no time limit because I have changed mine back in less than a couple hours. The Gamertag could also have gotten deleted by MS. I would try contacting them to see what's up with the tag.

mrj3d
07-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Didn't know they had finally deleted old tags. Last I heard it was used for good. Refreshing news.

Rep
07-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Didn't know they had finally deleted old tags. Last I heard it was used for good. Refreshing news.

I remember reading somewhere that they plan to do it again in the future.

The Produca
07-05-2012, 10:43 PM
My friend switched back to his old gamertag after a few months so it is possible.