PDA

View Full Version : Active downloads in the background?

The Produca
07-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Why do active downloads stop when you start playing a game?

DJConnelly
07-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Only for online games. Prevents the lag caused by downloading and playing online at the same time. Just play a single player game to pass the time.

biggred0020
07-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Why do active downloads stop when you start playing a game?
do it doesn't slow down things while your playing online games.

The Produca
07-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Ohhh. I hadn't noticed that.

ChickinOnaChain
07-05-2012, 08:17 PM
I have mine set to DL whenever. If they stop, I've never noticed it. And it's never slowed my game down but, all I play is SP games.

iBuzz7S
07-06-2012, 12:17 AM
It's a sad system to be honest. I can download things from dedicated servers at over 1MB/s and I experience little to no lag.

Pretty sure that PSN allows you to play online while downloading, unless I am mistaken.

CMCX360
07-06-2012, 03:45 AM
I remember there being an option to make it so it downloads all the time, no matter what you are doing, but I'm not sure where it is.

Drewdude1023
07-06-2012, 05:25 AM
Seriously, how do you set this? I'm pretty sure there's no setting unless I'm mistaken?

Rapture639
07-31-2012, 10:07 PM
Is there a way to set it so that the download continues even after you turn off your console? I remember hearing that you could but I'm not sure.

Doctor Giygas
07-31-2012, 10:57 PM
It's a sad system to be honest. I can download things from dedicated servers at over 1MB/s and I experience little to no lag.

Pretty sure that PSN allows you to play online while downloading, unless I am mistaken.

im pretty sure it doesnt, back in time u couldnt even send messages or receive messages in game on psn

Arrrk
07-31-2012, 11:21 PM
Playing offline is easier said than done when a lot of games now require an online connection even for single player.

Twisted Renegad
08-01-2012, 12:24 AM

If your in a MP game it won't dl anything on PSN

Ayx
08-01-2012, 01:27 AM
When I was boosting MK offline for the Mastery achievement, I really have no idea why the fuck would it keep pausing my downloads at random periods of time during the day which slowed down the download a lot. That's the only SP case I can think of that interrupts downloads but some games with DLC may do that once in a while to identify the DLC again.

Other than that you're not allowed to download while playing Multiplayer, it's called "Active" downloads for a reason. I assume Xbox LIVE uses a host when using it's Online service so whenever you join a Multiplayer game that needs a stable connection present, it cancels anything that the XBox is doing related to using it's online service. It can't control any exterior usage though so that's when most lag occurs. ((Not 100% accurate info, but it's what I assume.))

RadiantViper
08-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Is there a way to set it so that the download continues even after you turn off your console? I remember hearing that you could but I'm not sure.

I thought it just did this automatically.

niko da bos
08-01-2012, 03:39 PM

i remember that you can go to the settings, then change it so your console turns off after the download is finished. i dont see how in the hell it could download while you have it off lol. unless you meant like, if it starts downloading when you turn it back on? then yes

EliteShadowMan
08-01-2012, 04:03 PM
If you're playing online, then nothing downloads. That's why whenever i have something to download, i either turn off my xbox, or play a single player game.

diazt350
08-02-2012, 04:08 AM
360 PS3 and even Steam does this it just prevents you from lagging for people who don't have a great connection. Sometimes it annoys me though when I play single player games sometime it just stops I think mass effect does that, Background download is in the console settings and downloads faster I think well it seems like it to me.

OceanH
08-02-2012, 08:18 AM

i remember that you can go to the settings, then change it so your console turns off after the download is finished. i dont see how in the hell it could download while you have it off lol. unless you meant like, if it starts downloading when you turn it back on? then yes

Settings>System>Console settings>Startup and Shutdown>Background Downloads

Third description: "Finish downloads and uploads after you turn off your console."

Rapture639
08-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Settings>System>Console settings>Startup and Shutdown>Background Downloads

Third description: "Finish downloads and uploads after you turn off your console."

Oh there it is! Thanks!

Starkweather
08-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Just be happy downloads are fast on Xbox Live so you will be able to play online soon enough. On PS3 i can't even play DC Universe for 3 hours before an update completes.

E10phoenix
08-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Yeah I believe they stop while your playing the online portion of a game, maybe so it doesn't effect your online performance.