New Xbox with or without optical drive?

The Produca

The new Xbox with or without optical drive?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. The new Xbox with or without optical drive?

• Yes
    • No Drive
    • DontnCare

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer having a physical copy of my games. However, I'm sure Microsoft would much prefer people downloading games, but at the same time they can't afford to lose the customers who don't like/can't download games. So I think they'll still make physical discs, but they'll also release every game for download on XBL on their release dates. And to give people incentive to download, the downloads will probably be a little less expensive than the discs.

There either needs to be something that I can hold in my hand (doesn't necessarily need to be a disc, but something beyond just a code) for me to pay more than $10 for a game. I have no problem trekking over to the store to get a game, and I have no problem downloading games, but if they want me to download Dragon Age 3, they can't charge more than $10 for it.

List of arcade games that I have paid more than 800MSP for:

Raskulls (if you include the DLC)

It wouldn't quite be the end of the world for me if they left the drive out but i really hope they don't.

Globally (or just across the uk) the internets infrastructure is no where close to good enough to support many current services/ ideas for services.

Unless you live in a city you really need an option other than digital download/ streaming and will almost certainly continue to need said other option for many years to come.

I don't like the idea of downloading games, actually. I like to have a physical copie of it. Since I game, it's always been this way and I like to keep it this way, because I like it.

I would also like to be able to play my Xbox 360 games on my new console. How am I gonna do that when there's no physical drive?

We are far from digital only, MS&Sony would loose so many customers who haven't "real" DSL, like in villages etc. and then there is the thing with the retailers like amazon & Co.

who earn a lot of money on/through the game sales, and it would be anabsolute monopoly for MS/Sony if the new consoles had no optical discdrive, they would dry out amazon and the other companies.

And here's why digital only will not happen in the next generation...

If amazon can't sell any games because all is digital, they would treaten with "we sell nothing from MS anymore" and ms isn't capable of building such an infrastructre like amazon to sell as much consoles as needed.

It will have an optical drive. A BluRay drive to be precise.

A system without one... eeehhhh... I don't know. I "get" the "future" is moving towards a digital media, but that's not here yet. Next next gen, then sure, and even then, there will still be physical media, cause not everyone can afford to download a 30gb game. They'll move to SD card type peripherals I'm assuming (ass-u-me)

Would I buy the next system if it were sans optical drive? Not a chance. At least, not any time soon.

Oh, and the new Xbox will NOT be backwards compatible, especially without an optical drive... duh.