PDA

View Full Version : How messed up the gamerscore system is....

Andrew14man
09-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Games like G.R.A.W, Rumble Roses X, Dead or Alive Xtreme2, and Final Fantasy XI have achievements that are near to impossible to get 1000/1000. may take years

But then games like NBA 2k6 take less than an hour to get 1000/1000 :confused:

M A G N 3 T Y K
09-03-2007, 05:53 PM
haha yeah i know

I King Pin 0
09-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Yes, but the games like Graw, Rumble Roses, and DoA make the 1000 much much sweeter if you ever get them. They also show how hard you worked and can be proud that not many people have achieved what you have.

The Pants Party
09-03-2007, 06:00 PM
When the system was first introduced, companies didn't really know what to do with it. They're getting better of course, but there are still some head-scratchers every once in a while.

In my opinion, it should be 100% possible for anyone to finish a game, which is why I hate "leaderboard" achievements. Like GoW is completely possible for anyone, it just takes ages, but with GRAW (and even Robotron), it's basically impossible to get that anymore.

Im a Manatee
09-03-2007, 06:04 PM
If you look at the dozen or so most recent achievement lists, there typically aren't more than 10 online achievements, if they're not cut out completely.

Vampire x360a
09-03-2007, 06:08 PM
if all the achievemenst where like king kong where would the satisfaction be in getting the 1k in a game like R6v there would be none, the amount of gamerscore you have does affect how many games u have, but imagine if you could get the 1k in about a hour on every game, then all you would need to be was rich. AND...... this site wouldnt have such a thriving communtiy

JesusBread
09-03-2007, 07:47 PM
IMO, achievements should be like the Bioshock, Call of Duty 2/4 and Halo 3 achievements. Not to hard, not to easy and they do take a while to get.

Tussell
09-03-2007, 08:09 PM
I think all achievements should be single player.

Stinkyf1re
09-03-2007, 10:02 PM
if all the achievemenst where like king kong where would the satisfaction be in getting the 1k in a game like R6v there would be none, the amount of gamerscore you have does affect how many games u have, but imagine if you could get the 1k in about a hour on every game, then all you would need to be was rich. AND...... this site wouldnt have such a thriving communtiy

Have to agree here...after all, my 1k in R6V is pretty sweet. :) Shadowrun as well. Games that have attainable, but hard achievements just make it that much bettter IMO

TimmayTheTurtle
09-03-2007, 10:06 PM
its the ppl that make the game.

they dont put enough creativity into the achievements..which a lot more developers should in fact do.

cyberhookup
09-03-2007, 11:15 PM
I think all achievements should be single player.

Why would you want all achievements to be single player? I think a good achievement list should be two thirds single player and the other fourth be online.

LongJon
09-03-2007, 11:52 PM
I think a good achievement list should be two thirds single player and the other fourth be online.

Maths isn't your strong point huh? ;)

I agree with the attainable yet not too easy remark,like how someone mentioned Bioshock.Besides that game being so captivating that I'll run through it twice,I'm happy to get whatever achievements I get just by playing it through the first time,and then I'll work as hard as I know I'll need to the second time around to hopefully finish it up.

Blind x360a
09-04-2007, 12:04 AM
I think the single players ach. should outnumber the online.

TheLazyWolf
09-04-2007, 12:16 AM
I thought King Kong had good achievements, based on the game. They had you fully explore the entire game, it just wasnt that big of a game. I think most achievements should be attainable by anyone, with a few being dedicated to skill, NOT LEADERBOARD, requirements.I really hate play XX number of hour achievements, all they do is encourage leaving your system running all night.

ElementalSoBe
09-04-2007, 12:17 AM
Yea Doa Extreme2 kind made me mad that i have it on my gamercard , i only have 20 points in it and thats probaly all im gunna get out of it.

cyberhookup
09-04-2007, 12:22 AM
Maths isn't your strong point huh? ;)

I agree with the attainable yet not too easy remark,like how someone mentioned Bioshock.Besides that game being so captivating that I'll run through it twice,I'm happy to get whatever achievements I get just by playing it through the first time,and then I'll work as hard as I know I'll need to the second time around to hopefully finish it up.

Lol believe it or not it isn't. It looks like spelling isn't yours though.:) See with me once I play through a campaign once the only thing that gets me to go through it again is the fact that I usually didn't get all of the achievements the first time through. I prefer online mode in most games more then I would if I was playing campaign.

Th3 Apache Dog
09-04-2007, 01:15 AM
Have to agree here...after all, my 1k in R6V is pretty sweet. :) Shadowrun as well. Games that have attainable, but hard achievements just make it that much bettter IMO I agree, which is why my 1k in GH2 is awesome:drunk

cyberhookup
09-04-2007, 01:19 AM
I guess you aren't very observant of other cultures. English people like maths as the singular, abbreviated form of mathematics.

Why would I know that if I have never seen anybody type like that. Besides about half of the people I play with online are brits. So please if your going to be arrogant then don't bother posting anything.

Raider
09-04-2007, 01:22 AM
100% in games like rainbow 6, FEAR, Quake and Gears are worth 100 times 1000gp in NBA 06/2k6, king kong etc.

Krueger
09-04-2007, 01:52 AM
the really have to stop making games that take a ridiculous amount of hours to get 10 points in

Tiamat66
09-04-2007, 03:22 AM
I hate online achievements. Instead of making achievements for multi-player, just make a better multi-player game. Then I'd play it because it was enjoyable. I don't want to have other people helping to decide if I get achievements or not.

Oldeez
09-04-2007, 03:24 AM
i meen how cool would it be to hav graw and rumble roses on your completed list

09-04-2007, 03:32 AM
Why would I know that if I have never seen anybody type like that. Besides about half of the people I play with online are brits. So please if your going to be arrogant then don't bother posting anything.
So are you saying that you should be excused from being ridiculed about your cultural ignorance because you haven't put any effort into being culturally adept? Do you think that the s is silent in maths when the "brits" talk about the subject? Do you read books?

On-topic: It is what it is, but don't act like you won't rent the games for the points. It's like when people talk about the purity of the achievements, about quality not quantity and then have Open Season as one of their last five games played.

Tussell
09-04-2007, 03:36 AM
Why would you want all achievements to be single player? I think a good achievement list should be two thirds single player and the other fourth be online.
ROTFL!

Anyways, that's how I feel about achievements. With sports games and all. The only reason I have to recently is because my friends 360 broke, so I wanted to try and get some extra points by borrowing some of his games while his was broken.

cyberhookup
09-04-2007, 05:49 AM
So are you saying that you should be excused from being ridiculed about your cultural ignorance because you haven't put any effort into being culturally adept? Do you think that the s is silent in maths when the "brits" talk about the subject? Do you read books?

On-topic: It is what it is, but don't act like you won't rent the games for the points. It's like when people talk about the purity of the achievements, about quality not quantity and then have Open Season as one of their last five games played.
I never said or even hinted that I should be excused from anything at all. I just simply stated that if you tale 100 Americans and ask them if they knew about how the brits use the word "maths" you would more then likely find that 90 of them don't know anything about it and 10 of them do. Also if you want to get on my case about not being culturally adept then I think you had better start off with oh I don't know half of your country probably more.

ROTFL!

Anyways, that's how I feel about achievements. With sports games and all. The only reason I have to recently is because my friends 360 broke, so I wanted to try and get some extra points by borrowing some of his games while his was broken.

I'm glad you find my stupidity funny.:)

Danny Dibo
09-04-2007, 06:12 AM
Damn, Cyber.

Your making us chicago peeps look bad with this one. Lol.

Hey you know what they say, 5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions.

On topic: I think a mix of quality and quantity is necessary, none of you can boast your score is truly high AND free of at least 1 easy 1000.

cyberhookup
09-04-2007, 06:16 AM
Damn, Cyber.

Your making us chicago peeps look bad with this one. Lol.

Hey you know what they say, 5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions.

On topic: I think a mix of quality and quantity is necessary, none of you can boast your score is truly high AND free of at least 1 easy 1000.

My bad bro I can't help a good and healthy confrontation even if it is based off of my un ability to do math correctly.

Yeah know I never realized how many people are from Illinois on this forum lol. Maybe we should all get together and play 360 for like a month straight lol.

Jdm
09-04-2007, 07:09 AM
The achievement list in games are being more balanced now. There are the occasional "casual" games where unlocking a full 1000 Gamerscore can be done with ease and there are the more challenging games that are sometimes near impossible to unlock.

This is the reason why some gamers do not play sport games to unlock achievements. Some gamers would rather play something more challenging to unlock achievements. I, on the other hand will play literally any 360 game that will offer me a higher Gamerscore. Anything from Madden 06 to GoW. Easy or hard, it doesn't matter to me. If you're out to unlock achievements and raise your Gamerscore points, then playing these easy games should be on your "to do list".

cyberhookup
09-04-2007, 07:24 AM
The achievement list in games are being more balanced now. There are the occasional "casual" games where unlocking a full 1000 Gamerscore can be done with ease and there are the more challenging games that are sometimes near impossible to unlock.

This is the reason why some gamers do not play sport games to unlock achievements. Some gamers would rather play something more challenging to unlock achievements. I, on the other hand will play literally any 360 game that will offer me a higher Gamerscore. Anything from Madden 06 to GoW. Easy or hard, it doesn't matter to me. If you're out to unlock achievements and raise your Gamerscore points, then playing these easy games should be on your "to do list".

Yeah I agree that sports game are an easy grand in gs. When I look at some one who has a high gs though and all I see are sports games I get bugged for the simple reason that I always am like its ok that you played some sports games for gs but why don't you play some other games like gow or rainbow or just something more challenging.

Graham31004
09-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Lol believe it or not it isn't. It looks like spelling isn't yours though.:) See with me once I play through a campaign once the only thing that gets me to go through it again is the fact that I usually didn't get all of the achievements the first time through. I prefer online mode in most games more then I would if I was playing campaign.

If you're going to criticize or try to belittle someone, you should probably know what you're talking about first. There were no spelling errors in Cyberhookup's post. What I believe you meant to say was his Grammar isn't his strong point :)

cyberhookup
09-04-2007, 09:09 AM
If you're going to criticize or try to belittle someone, you should probably know what you're talking about first. There were no spelling errors in Cyberhookup's post. What I believe you meant to say was his Grammar isn't his strong point :)

Dude I think you quoted the wrongs persons post or something because I cyberhookup posted that about LongJon. So yeah if your going to post to advice or join in in the good and healthy confrontation then at least everything right before you post something.

The Pants Party
09-04-2007, 12:21 PM
All of you need to shut up and get back on topic, please.

teh x3nomorph
09-04-2007, 03:05 PM
I don't think that the gamerscore system is messed up .. so what if some games have easy achievements while others have more difficult.

Sure, games like GRAW are going to be nearly impossible to get the full 1000, but they fixed those achievements with GRAW 2.

I have a love/hate relationship with online achievements. Like, all of Shadowrun is online .. but they are brilliant achievements. Gears of war online achievements? Please ... so lame, and so rediculously frustrating.

The Pants Party
09-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Gears and Shadowrun aren't really different... both have a bunch of "100 w/ x weapon" achievements and while Gears has the lame 10K kills, Shadowrun has the cross-platform one. Without boosting, both probably take the same amount of time.

teh x3nomorph
09-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Gears and Shadowrun aren't really different... both have a bunch of "100 w/ x weapon" achievements and while Gears has the lame 10K kills, Shadowrun has the cross-platform one. Without boosting, both probably take the same amount of time. But at least in Shadowrun I can buy my own Katana, and my own Sniper rifle.

I don't have to scream at the top of my lungs like a whiney brat that I CALL THE DAMN BOOMSHOT just to get that weapon.

Its just frustrating because it takes away from how the game should be played, because people want specific achievements. Ive done it, and when I restart Gears *cringe* Ill have to do it again.

The cross platform achievements were a good idea, but not enough Vista players are on Shadowrun, and the ones that are, usually choose to game with other Vista users (which I can kind of understand).

Both games definately have flaws, but I think at least Shadowrun did a better execution of weapon achievements, because there isn't just 1 of them on the map. Although when you get asshats that need rocket achievements, so they wont buy anything till the 6th round is really damn annoying as well.

PerpetualHeaven
09-04-2007, 06:10 PM
The reason there's one boom shot is to make it challenging. If everyone bought their own boom shot..wow.. the game would be pointless. Boomshot is much too easy to kill people with. That's why there's only one and people fight for it all the time.

As for the gamerscore system, it's not really the system that's flawed it's the developers. They can chose how long the achievements take. What they want is people to keep playing and playing for a long time. Like GRAW, I'm sure they'll have downloadable content or already do.

For Final Fantasy XI, it's so obvious. It's paid subscription so why not make the 1000 as long as possible to keep your subscribers paying until they reach that 1000. Considering they probably won't... Cha Ching! $=) Hats made out of money.

As for sports games, I don't get it. I really want some difficult achievements. There's always a loop hole and I have to take the loop hole. It's so tempting I can't resist it. I wish they would just cut off all loop holes and make some difficult ones. Like for Madden 08, don't let us tweak settings and use Supersim. Or NBA 2K games by making everything max and even Shaq can hit 3s all the time.

So it's not really the system, but the developers. They need to make a gamerscore union so the achievements can go through a process of acceptance :p But that would never happen.

Skillet
09-04-2007, 07:20 PM

Hmm. Nice math skills.

Anywho, I don't think games should have online achievements. Many of them can be done with a group of friends which kind of voids the purpose. I mean... you can even rig a ranked game in Gears of War by making a specific game and telling 7 of your friends to search for it. Voila! You have seven people there to trade achievements.

Single player achievements tend to be a little harder the get (sometimes) and are slightly more legit. Think Dead Rising. Besides game savers and people who trade accounts...you have to WORK for most of those achievements. Not just join a multiplayer game and with a few friends who will let you kill them.

Besides...only around 60% of Xbox 360s are online...some of those people only have Silver accounts as well. Like me. I have a silver account because my internet sucks yet I still like earning achievements. Online achievements kind of ruin that.

teh x3nomorph
09-04-2007, 07:26 PM
The reason there's one boom shot is to make it challenging. If everyone bought their own boom shot..wow.. the game would be pointless. Boomshot is much too easy to kill people with. That's why there's only one and people fight for it all the time. I just said the boomshot, not advocating that there needs to be 8 boomshots on a level.

Im just saying that people sit there and fight over 1 damn weapon where they should just be playing to play instead of worrying about trying to get a damn achievement based on a weapon kill.

zdarko43
09-04-2007, 07:48 PM
yeah not to mention guitar hero ii, or guitar hero iii, first off you have to be an ace at this damn game, and assuming you are, you have to know someone else that is really good as well to even attempt having the full 1k.

another dissappointment, like you guys say, is any leaderboard achievments. they're not worth the time nor effort. what i believe quake and graw both have these achievements?
its possible... IF YOU'RE THE FIRST PERSON TO BUY THIS GAME. forget about getting either now and expecting to get the full 1k.
once i get the 896 on graw, i'm going to consider it to be 100% completed in my mind because the time spent to get to the top is ridicilous, and the only ppl up there are from boosting, and thats really defeated the whole purpose of a leaderboard system.

such as is why i like shadowrun so much, they dont have a leaderboard bs, no ranked games, just all regular matches. period. they put you with a group thats near your skill level and attempt to balance out teams evenly according to skill.
all of the achievements are attainable, but take much time and effort to get them.

an even better example is the game FEAR. think about it, how many times do u need to play thru the story mode for the full 1k? quite a few different times, picking up, or rather, not picking up any items, killing everyone, or not cuz ur conserving all of your ammo.

now those achievements are fairly balanced i believe.

cyberhookup
09-04-2007, 11:07 PM
All of you need to shut up and get back on topic, please.
Wow take a chill pill bro and try to be rude next time you post please.:biglaugh

Hmm. Nice math skills.
Thank you.:)

I just said the boomshot, not advocating that there needs to be 8 boomshots on a level.

Im just saying that people sit there and fight over 1 damn weapon where they should just be playing to play instead of worrying about trying to get a damn achievement based on a weapon kill.

Yeah but some people just buy and or rent games just for the achievements. So when that person plays the game its more then likely to get the achievements in it. I do understand where your coming from though. I do hate it when people on the same team fight over the same weapon. I personally don't mind if somebody would like a certain weapon as long as they kill somebody with it. Now if they don't kill anybody with it I'll pick it up so they can't get it. I look at it as a team based game and if everybody can take out at least 1 person then its all gravy.

Skillet
09-04-2007, 11:36 PM
I have to agree. I don't know how many no-skill loser would pick up the Boomshot and not kill a single enemy with it. That's why I just Host player matches now. I don't even bother with GoW achievements.

PerpetualHeaven
09-05-2007, 12:06 AM
I just said the boomshot, not advocating that there needs to be 8 boomshots on a level.

I can see your point and it's a very good one. It does kind of take the fun out of it when you have everyone chopping throats for a single weapon. But unfortunately that's what happens.

BUT, I must agree the weapon achievements suck. I hate weapon achievements on a whole. I stick to weapons I like and I'm good with. I don't fight for the boom shot often, I just stick to my shotgun and pistol. The problem with weapon achievements is that I pretty much have to force myself to use them.

I think what it really comes down to is poor selection by developers. I think the perfect combination is have something lengthy like Seriously (I personally like the achievement) and some short stuff like beat the story mode on easy or something along those lines.

The game with the best achievements I believe is Oblivion. Some may not agree but you have your achievements for factions which don't take very long then you have one for the main story line which is around 20-25 hours. It's an awesome blend. I always feel like I'm unlocking achievements. I think they planned them out wonderfully.

oneshotbilly
09-05-2007, 01:35 AM

lmao - dumbest post i ever saw :p

In terms of GOW - the weapon achievements makes sense if your going for seriously - eventually you'll get them all without any trouble but people just get impatient and NEED them after 2 weeks play.

Tussell
09-05-2007, 01:37 AM
That's why I 'sigged' it. :woop:

cyberhookup
09-05-2007, 04:14 AM

Again glad you found my stupidity funny. Hope you find somebody else's stupidity funny and not just mind.:woop::):woop::)

That's why I 'sigged' it. :woop:
At least I will get better known on this site lol.