PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2 Remake

Maximus MLG
07-07-2012, 02:33 AM
Pleaseeeeeeee http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-12240-Halo-2-Anniversary-Rumoured-to-be-in-Development-at-343-Industries.html

RBmaster9345
07-07-2012, 03:22 AM
*Crosses fingers*

fastNcurious
07-07-2012, 04:18 AM
That's kinda ridiculous. Then there will be the Halo 3 anniversary edition. Halo: ODST.... Halo: Reach... Halo 4 ... Halo 5.....

It's like movie studios that keep releasing new editions of movies to keep the money rolling in.

My point is that it's not all that special if you're giving everything the special edition treatment. The one they just did made sense. It was the one that started it all.

I mak3 big boom
07-07-2012, 05:38 AM
That's kinda ridiculous. Then there will be the Halo 3 anniversary edition. Halo: ODST.... Halo: Reach... Halo 4 ... Halo 5.....

It's like movie studios that keep releasing new editions of movies to keep the money rolling in.

My point is that it's not all that special if you're giving everything the special edition treatment. The one they just did made sense. It was the one that started it all.

Well halo 1 and 2 were on the original Xbox which warrants a new game but I doubt they would do the same thing for Halo 3. Well at least not for a long time.

cutchinz
07-07-2012, 06:23 AM
I'm in, if they can improve the game instead of just giving us the exact same product + a few terminals.

DarkReign2021
07-07-2012, 03:46 PM

Like big boom said, I doubt they're going to do that to all of the Halo games. I doubt they'll do any past Halo 2 because Halo 3 and onward are still current. They still have an online community, they still have achievements, they still run in HD, they still have terminals, etc... Halo 1 and 2 had none of these things and since a majority of the halo population started with Halo 3, they never had an opportunity to play Halo 2. This would be their chance to try it out. I can only hope they have the original multiplayer though. Halo 1 was acceptable because the Campaign was what made H1 great, but H2's strongest point was in it's multiplayer, particularly the maps. Just about every map in Halo 2 is hands-down better than any map we've seen since.

I would absolutely love to see Terminals in Halo 2's campaign. They were great in Halo 1's campaign and the way the story was setup the terminal stories didn't really even fit in that well. Halo 2's campaign started digging into the whole concept of the Halos and the Flood. Terminal opportunities ran rampant throughout the game, especially with the way most of the levels were built in the game (not sure how they would explain terminals on Cairo, Outskirts, and Metropolis though. Might skip those levels and have multiple terminals per level later on. That would be awesome.)

fastNcurious
07-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Campaign was what made H1 great, but H2's strongest point was in it's multiplayer, particularly the maps. Just about every map in Halo 2 is hands-down better than any map we've seen since.

I started with Halo 3, but I have heard a lot of great things about H2's multiplayer so I would be interested in trying it out for myself.

DarkReign2021
07-08-2012, 12:10 PM
The thing about the H2 maps is that they were created by a different group of people that left Bungie shortly after H2 was completed. They started their own company and they were contracted later on to create all of the map packs for Halo 2, thus maintaining the quality and effort that the originals had. That was the last we saw of them in the Halo universe until 343 came into the picture. They once again contracted Certain Affinity to create the second Map pack in Halo reach as well as the Anniversary maps and now it seems they're involved heavily in Halo 4's multiplayer development as well. This gives me a lot of hope for Halo 4's multiplayer and I feel a Halo 2 remake would be absolutely stunning as well.

LickableLemons7
07-08-2012, 04:22 PM
The thing about the H2 maps is that they were created by a different group of people that left Bungie shortly after H2 was completed. They started their own company and they were contracted later on to create all of the map packs for Halo 2, thus maintaining the quality and effort that the originals had. That was the last we saw of them in the Halo universe until 343 came into the picture. They once again contracted Certain Affinity to create the second Map pack in Halo reach as well as the Anniversary maps and now it seems they're involved heavily in Halo 4's multiplayer development as well. This gives me a lot of hope for Halo 4's multiplayer and I feel a Halo 2 remake would be absolutely stunning as well.

I never knew Certain Affinity worked on the maps for Halo 2. Halo 4 will surely kick some serious butt.

But why remake Halo 2? Microsoft can't temporarily boot up the original Xbox live servers, can they?

fastNcurious
07-08-2012, 08:51 PM
But why remake Halo 2? Microsoft can't temporarily boot up the original Xbox live servers, can they?

I assume they would re-code the multiplayer to work on today's 360 Live service, but then again, that would depend on which way is cheaper...

DarkReign2021
07-08-2012, 10:58 PM
When Halo 2 launched, Certain Affinity was still just a group of Bungie Employees. They left after the game launched, but struck a deal with Bungie that enabled them to make the various map packs that came out afterward. Only the last pack released wasn't created by CA, though I could be mistaken.

If a remake of Halo 2 were to happen, I honestly don't think it would be an issue adding in the multiplayer. The first Halo could've done it, but would've required an extensive overhaul of the original system and a large amount of rebalancing and tweaking since the game was never built for multiplayer to begin with, so it honestly wouldn't have been the same as the original MP anyway. Halo 2, on the other hand, already has the network built in. All balancing and tweaking has been done and it's really just a matter of recalibrating the code to utilize the 360's servers more effectively.

The big question is whether or not all of the maps would or even should be included. Obviously the more the better, but even I can say remaking all 25 maps would be a colossal task and not really worth the effort. If this were the case, I think I'd rather just see most of these maps make a return in Halo 4 instead. In the case of a complete remake, however, I'd say we could cut out Ascension, Beaver Creek, Coagulation, Ivory Tower, Sanctuary, Tombstone, and Headlong as we've seen all of them recently in either CEA or Reach. If they only pick a handful, my personal vote:

Terminal
Relic
Turf
Zanzibar
Burial Mounds
Gemini
Midship
Headlong (They could just port over the CEA version. Be fine with me.)

Hands down my favorite maps of any game ever.

HTownBoi
07-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Halo 2 multiplayer was the best out of the series imo. I just loved the maps. 3s were ok but Reaches were lame. I'm just looking forward to play the game that got me hooked on playing online games.

GearsFan4Life
07-09-2012, 02:25 AM
If they cut any maps I will not buy

Ty-Rex
07-09-2012, 03:53 AM
Terminal
Relic
Turf
Zanzibar
Burial Mounds
Gemini
Midship
Headlong (They could just port over the CEA version. Be fine with me.)

Hands down my favorite maps of any game ever.
This would be the most objectively right list of all time, except you are missing Lockout. I know it was soiled by being THE MLG tryhard map, but it was still tons of fun to play.

Oh, and on the topic of them adding H2's MP in the remake; I wouldn't count on it. There's no way they would split the playerbase between two games like that since H2:A would likely come out a year after H4.

Kaiyo
07-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Halo 2 Anniversary is likely 2014 with a load of remake maps for Halo 4.

CMCX360
07-09-2012, 02:39 PM
343 came out in an article and said that nobody is working on this.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make one though, because there ARE achievements for Halo 2 PC.

Diamondxinferno1116
07-09-2012, 03:25 PM
what you all seem to be forgetting is that 343 only has a contract to do halo 4 5 + 6 plus halo 2 now but i would love to see this remade (but not too much different) halo 2 is the greatest xbox origianal game hands down!! halo 3 and all titles afterward have seen the new console and have been added with achievements, so they are trying to give fans a chance to complete every one for the 360. this is more promising then halo 4 is looking :p

Diamondxinferno1116
07-09-2012, 03:28 PM
343 came out in an article and said that nobody is working on this.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make one though, because there ARE achievements for Halo 2 PC.

proof? and gears of war 1 had console and PC achievements too,why cant a much better game do the same??? :D

yourbreakfast99
07-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Well halo 1 and 2 were on the original Xbox which warrants a new game but I doubt they would do the same thing for Halo 3. Well at least not for a long time.

That's what i am thinking

mrj3d
07-09-2012, 04:34 PM
I'd buy it. I loved Halo 2.

DarkReign2021
07-09-2012, 05:29 PM
what you all seem to be forgetting is that 343 only has a contract to do halo 4 5 + 6 plus halo 2 now but i would love to see this remade (but not too much different) halo 2 is the greatest xbox origianal game hands down!! halo 3 and all titles afterward have seen the new console and have been added with achievements, so they are trying to give fans a chance to complete every one for the 360. this is more promising then halo 4 is looking :p

Contract? 343 is a subsidiary of Microsoft Game Studios formed to create and manage all Halo-related products and materials. Funding is provided by Microsoft and all projects must therefore be approved by them, but 343 is at liberty to create anything and everything them feel would be beneficial to the franchise. If they so choose, they're even allowed to contract an outside company (as they have with Sabre and Certain Affinity) to produce a product for them. A lot of the content in the franchise is actually collaborative these days. Halo: Legends was multiple studios, Halo Evolution was multiple authors, etc... I wouldn't be surprised to see other game studios eventually getting involved the way Star Wars has been doing.

Nevander
07-10-2012, 03:36 PM
They should bring back Headlong and actually make a real Easter egg to get the Golden Warthog, which you could only get in Halo 2 with mods. I never did get it. :(

Vectorman953
07-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Punching the Prophet of Regret to death in true HD?

I'm in

http://images.wikia.com/halo/images/0/0c/Wise_Prophet_of_Regret.png
What a smug asshole... just sitting in his grav-chair. Waiting to get punched

LickableLemons7
07-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Arrrgh.

I keep getting images of Chief running on a platform and being forced into a lake while avoiding a giant lazerbeam of destruction. I need to play the campaign again.

The Gravemind would look so amazing with an updated engine.

Diamondxinferno1116
07-10-2012, 05:38 PM
They need to keep the multiplayer the way it was so that i can finally become a 50 in halo 2 and play without getting modded every game lol

N7 Shadow
07-10-2012, 07:20 PM
I keep getting images of Chief running on a platform and being forced into a lake while avoiding a giant lazerbeam of destruction. I need to play the campaign again.

lol I'm getting images of seeing that one flood infection form driving a warthog in Quarantine Zone lol and the ending of the Cairo Station level. Oh the memories. :cool:

OT: I would definitely buy it. :)

Ty-Rex
07-10-2012, 07:21 PM
What a smug asshole... just sitting in his grav-chair. Waiting to get punched
Man, I'd be smug as hell too if I had that chair. It's like a way better Hoveround. You could not only make it to the Grand Canyon in it, but you could then fly across the canyon.

Nevander
07-11-2012, 12:08 AM
I'll never forget the Metropolis level in the campaign and that part where the Flood are driving human vehicles (tanks and Warthogs).

And those damn jackal snipers... :mad:

P.S. WOOHOOOO FOR SCARAB GUN IN HD!!! If this happens of course...

DarkReign2021
07-11-2012, 12:49 AM
lol I'm getting images of seeing that one flood infection form driving a warthog in Quarantine Zone lol and the ending of the Cairo Station level. Oh the memories. :cool:

OT: I would definitely buy it. :)

o_o The first time I played Quarantine zone. Saw a wraith tank in the distance and thought an ally was driving, so I went to take it. Once it started shooting at me I realized something was seriously wrong. Than a Warthog rammed into me and all hell broke loose. lol. I never understood why they took the driving away in Halo 3. They never gave the flood a chance to be... the Flood.

The flood evolved over the course of Halo 2 and 3 in ways that I feel could've been really enjoyable in Halo 4 or maybe firefight in Halo: Reach. Halo 2 gave the infection forms the ability to pickup units and the Flood gained the ability to drive as well as the Gravemind integrating a hive-like sentience into their genetic makeup. Halo 3 gave the infection forms the ability completely transform corpses into units and added the transforming pure forms. Then Halo Wars with the flying and hulking beast units and buildings like the spore towers from Halo Wars and the books are establishing a direct relationship between the Flood and the Precursors. The flood are completely enhanced and developed from their basic Halo 1 forms. I look forward to seeing them finally return in Halo 5.

The Produca
07-11-2012, 03:25 AM
I honestly wouldn't mind playing something in between halo 4 and 5. I want to play the game while still connected to live and getting achievements for It. Can't wait for more super bounces!

Edword
07-12-2012, 01:49 AM
I really hope they remake Halo 2!

DarkReign2021
07-12-2012, 02:42 AM
Gamers excited about the possibility of Microsoft and its new Halo house 343 Industries developing a high-definition version of Halo 2 want to temper their enthusiasm. The Halo Council posted the results of a Microsoft ExpertZone Q&A session with 343 Industries, which dispels a rumor from earlier this week suggesting the company would follow up November's Halo: Combat evolved anniversary with an HD remake of the 2004 shooter.
(http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/image_viewer/index.php?single=1&path=2012%2F190%2FHalo2_63341_screen.jpg&caption=Halo%2B2%2Bis%2Bnot%2Bgetting%2Ban%2BHD%2B overhaul%2Bjust%2Byet%252C%2Bit%2Bappears.&blog=1&cvr=PFL1)

"We are not working on that at this time. We are kind of busy," the developer supposedly wrote.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/halo-2-hd-not-happening-report-6386421

Q: The E3 demos for Halo 4 looked fantastic, but they made me want to replay the other numbered Halo games. With the great job 343 did with the HD remastering of Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, is there a chance we will see Halo 2 HD before the end of this console generation? Maybe a Halo Trilogy pack to promote the new saga? Pretty please?

A: We are not working on that at this time. We are kind of busy.

http://halocouncil.com/content.php?r=525-Q-A-with-343-Industries-Expertzone

Unfortunately this is not the word ninja craftsmanship that Bungie and 343 are accustomed to using. Assuming it's true that this came from a developer, I'd say it's pretty straightforward at this moment in time.

That said, the possibility of an HD remake isn't completely out of the question. They're busy now, but Halo 4 is due for release November 6th. Halo 2 Anniversary wouldn't be due for another 368 after that. Even though that doesn't seem like a lot of time to develop the game, but since the Halo: Reach engine is already built and they already know how to overlap engines due to their experience with Halo CEA. The skulls are already present in the game and would only need a menu system added for manual activation. Terminal cutscenes and re-modeling of H2 unique models would be the only real effort necessary. Leagues simpler than the first Anniversary release.

XoNiNjAlEoNoX
07-12-2012, 12:41 PM
http://okayface.com/okay-face.jpg

anorexicwes
07-12-2012, 01:52 PM
It's coming, I imagine Halo 4 is taking up all of 343's time.

GreatCesar1
07-16-2012, 01:28 AM
i always wanted them to remake halo 2's engine for the 360, that has always been my favorite FPS. i relized this late in time the game would not fit the new "colors" of halo and would not sell many copies... if they keep the entire engine for sp/mp in the possible HD remake, i will definently buy it! since many people never play it, there were a lot of fans of the game and even with all the die-hard halo fans, this would make a fair profit and fit perfectly inbetween halo 4 and 5.

Really... who doesnt want some good old button glitches, out of map glitches, and scarab gun to screw around with? even sputnik skull!

WipeoutBoy1
08-09-2012, 01:47 PM
If it does get released I can happily say that I wont even bother touching any other games multiplayer.

ModernSith2010
08-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Would love them to remake it as Halo 2 was my favorite for some reason.

OnePunchEckert
08-10-2012, 05:24 PM
The music in the unsc weapons vid from yesterday is almost exact to the music in the first arbiter mission when you hop into the banshee. Hmmm

Shiftie
08-17-2012, 07:21 AM
I'll park the game right next to my Halo 1 anniversary so I can have 2 unplayed Halo remakes!

niko da bos
08-17-2012, 05:45 PM
although i would love to play halo2 again, not sure about another remake. especially since my bet is they just tack on the Reach or halo4 elements and just keep the same maps. simular to CE, which in my opinion didnt feel anything like my halo1 experience. it was literally halo reach, on CE maps. if they remake the game, i would rather it not have all these tacked on abilities and stuff that has been added. will we be able to BxR? lol im just curious (if they remade it), how simular the game would play.

regardless i would love to play the campaign again, its been so long. reading some posts here brought back memories of missions i long forgot about. that campaign was incredible, ive actually been debating picking up an old copy.

JimCant
08-20-2012, 02:17 PM
In all reality they should have waited to release Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition and just put out a 2 disc Halo 1 and 2 Anniversary edition. I think I would actually paid $60 bucks for Halo 1 and 2 to play on my xbox360.

But they didn't so now I will complain that Halo 2 hasn't been released.

Gotta say that Halo 2 is still probably the best Halo campaign game I have played...it even rivals best single player game for any console....

HaloTitan
08-20-2012, 10:52 PM
I started with Halo 3, but I have heard a lot of great things about H2's multiplayer so I would be interested in trying it out for myself.

Well let us hope that 343 doesnt add on a shitty map pack for whichever Halo multiplayer system is on the market. That was a huge mistake in the Anniversary edition of Hale CE. Maybe they didnt have to let us play online, but the whole point was to add a nice coat of polish to a vintage Halo game yet they left out the most important aspect. Yes we all love the original story, but it's the LAN parties every weekend that I remember most and it has been such a shame that they took it from us. Halo CE is such a classic and as a fan of the franchise since the day it came out, I feel insulted that they didn't give me a chance to see my favorite maps with modern graphics. I say don't bother with a Halo 2 remake unless the original multiplayer is intact because that is, still to this day, the best Halo Multiplayer. Period.

Edit: I wanted to add a comment to the people saying that they would't add the multiplayer because they wouldn't want to split their fanbase. I think that is the biggest load of lazy bullshit I have ever heard. I thought that the first time Fankie said that about the Halo CE multiplayer being just a Reach map pack. Original Halo fans have drifted away from the franchise because of what a rip off ODST was and what waste of space Reach was. You have original fans who can tell you the stories of playing Halo CE or standing in line for hours to pick up Halo 2 at midnight. Then you have Halo fans who started out at Halo 3 or later. To me those two fan bases are already split because they each know Halo differently, and that's not a bad thing. To not add the multiplayer for such stupid reason would be a slap in the face to fans that put this franchise on the market. You don't have Halo 2 through Reach without those fans. Instead of being lazy in order to milk the Halo cash cow, 343 needs to appease their fans if they plan on releases Halo 2 again. If Call of Duty can put out a new MP every year without "splitting" their fanbase, then I'm sure 343 can give the fans what they truley want rather than forcing us to play whatever sub par multiplayer they're currently supporting.

Reaper of Kaos
08-23-2012, 02:12 PM
I haven't played Halo 2's campaign since I first completed it and I would love to play it again in HD with hidden terminals but I am foaming at the mouth at the ability to play Halo 2 MP in HD... Duel Wielding Pink Death.

Der Fuhrer
08-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Getting Halo 2 Vista anyway, will get this if it happens, but not dying for it since it will probably just be the campaign and then the Halo 4 multiplayer with some Halo 2 maps, and the campaign was not the strong-suit of Halo 2.