PDA

View Full Version : 1 purchase, 2 consoles

TyrannoSpank
07-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Im just lookin for some confirmation i guess.

Me and my girl were gonna make a deal to split the game budget lol. But i didnt know if this could get us in trouble or not >.>.

Normally we both buy a game or dlc, but i remembered i think I recover my gamertag to her xbox, buy a game, recover back to my xbox, dl game again, we can both have the game and play it, then next game its her turn to buy. Is this ok? I tried it with games prevoously purchased and its working, but i wasnt sure if thats somethin to get in trouble for or not >.>

I did search but most of the stuff said somethin about havin to be signed on the purchasers profile or somethin.

TVthePunisher
07-07-2012, 08:48 AM
As far as I'm concerned, it's legal since she's your girlfriend. It's like two brothers in the same household purchasing say...Minecraft on one console, then recovering the tag back to their own so they can co-op together. Nothing wrong with that. Microsoft made it that where the owner of the content and the console it downloads to can be separate entities as the console gets the "rights" upon hitting it.

And to be honest it's saving you a lot of money in a crap economy...especially with DLC popping out like babies, if you buy it all on one console then just recover and redownload to another...saving half the cost of something that might total out to 60+ bucks.

Edit: Anyways, here's how it works.

Profile 1 - one that's purchasing the content. They will be buying the content on Xbox.com or Console 2 (someone else's console) and downloading it to Console 2. Yes you can purchase on Xbox.com and still get the rights to stick to Console 2. Then, Profile 1 will redownload the content onto Console 1 (their own console) thus making it available for Console 1.

Console 1 will now be limited to playing the game ONLY with that tag online. Console 2 can have ANY tag play that game or content no matter what. It IS possible that Console 1 can work around this limitation...if Profile 1 signs into a second controller and then another profile is on the 1st controller, access to the content is now unrestricted as long as Profile 1 stays signed in. ADDITIONALLY Games on Demand titles allow the user to actually sign out of Profile 1 after starting the game (same with Xbox Originals), allowing any other profile on the console to continue playing the game (and earn achievements) as long as they don't exit the game.

See how that works? Arcade games HAVE to have Profile 1 signed in to an alternate controller btw.

TyrannoSpank
07-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Yea i know it works, just wanna make sure its not gonna get us banned lol.

Rums
07-07-2012, 12:14 PM
It's file sharing and it's illegal, regardless of who it's with.

Nerdz0r
07-07-2012, 01:02 PM
It probably is frowned upon in M$'s eyes but why should that matter. Just do it. They cannot find out and people do much worse on Xbox to care about something so insignificant. I've done it in the past.

fix key
07-07-2012, 01:06 PM
A lot of bans

EliTzuR
07-07-2012, 01:21 PM
It's fine. Microsoft would have prevented you from doing so if they wanted to and clearly haven't so they haven't got a problem with it. You'll be fine. But I'd ask Xbox Support to check for confirmation.

TyrannoSpank
07-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the reply. I guess ill wait and try checkin with support before i try anything to be sure.

Skilled
07-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Recovering Downloaded content on another xbox so others can use it is ban worthy in MS eyes, I'm pretty sure people have been banned for this before. They're getting one less download when you share it with your GF so they'll ban you if they find out. I'm certain.

DragonsGoMOO
07-07-2012, 03:40 PM
It's fine. Microsoft would have prevented you from doing so if they wanted to and clearly haven't so they haven't got a problem with it. You'll be fine. But I'd ask Xbox Support to check for confirmation.

Just because they haven't found a block or solution for it, doesn't mean it's against the rules. That's a stupid way of thinking.

Joseph0714
07-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Im just lookin for some confirmation i guess.

Me and my girl were gonna make a deal to split the game budget lol. But i didnt know if this could get us in trouble or not >.>.

Normally we both buy a game or dlc, but i remembered i think I recover my gamertag to her xbox, buy a game, recover back to my xbox, dl game again, we can both have the game and play it, then next game its her turn to buy. Is this ok? I tried it with games prevoously purchased and its working, but i wasnt sure if thats somethin to get in trouble for or not >.>

I did search but most of the stuff said somethin about havin to be signed on the purchasers profile or somethin.

This is legal and WILL NOT get you or your girlfriend banned. I have asked multiple times to Xbox Customer Support (I haved asked several times to know if they give me different answers, but they don't), they have told me that it is completely legal and MS, by giving us the option of License Transfer, it is something that we can share with whoever we want. Sharing DLCs, XBLA, Themes, etc with the method you said or by License transfering your accounts license to another xbox is completely legal so don't worry.

Spanish Assault
07-07-2012, 05:08 PM
This is legal and WILL NOT get you or your girlfriend banned. I have asked multiple times to Xbox Customer Support (I haved asked several times to know if they give me different answers, but they don't), they have told me that it is completely legal and MS, by giving us the option of License Transfer, it is something that we can share with whoever we want. Sharing DLCs, XBLA, Themes, etc with the method you said or by License transfering your accounts license to another xbox is completely legal so don't worry.
I don't think that's right....

M$ says the marketplace manipulation is against the TOS. It's one thing if a family in the same household has multiple xbox's and shares DLC, but Boyfriend and Girlfriend in separate households might be an issue. OP need to be careful.

Ayx
07-07-2012, 05:20 PM
I don't think that's right....

M$ says the marketplace manipulation is against the TOS. It's one thing if a family in the same household has multiple xbox's and shares DLC, but Boyfriend and Girlfriend in separate households might be an issue. OP need to be careful.Uhhhhh. It's the person's license he purchased, the user is allowed to do what he wants as long as it doesn't breach the ToS. If he wants to lend it to his girlfriend/boyfriend/dog/homie/garbage man he can, however if the garbage man decides to low blow him and steal his account MS won't do anything about it because you're not suppose to give away your password to ANYONE.

People just do it anyways for the lulz.

Spanish Assault
07-07-2012, 05:51 PM
I tweeted xbox support about this. I'll reply with their answer.

EDIT:

Eddie Carmona ‏@eddie_c25
@XboxSupport is sharing DLC with a friend considered Marketplace theft? i.e DL dlc on their console so they can use it.
Details
Reply Delete Favorite

Xbox Support (1-5)
‏@XboxSupport

Following

@eddie_c25 It's okay, but only the purchasing GT will be able to use it on a different console. ^LB

LINK (https://twitter.com/XboxSupport/status/221664750470316032?uid=52862466&iid=am-4065281413416839696476864&nid=27+234)

Looks like I was wrong. Per xbox support it's ok, but your GF wont be able to access the content without you being logged on to her console.

TyrannoSpank
07-07-2012, 07:31 PM

EDIT:

LINK (https://twitter.com/XboxSupport/status/221664750470316032?uid=52862466&iid=am-4065281413416839696476864&nid=27+234)

Looks like I was wrong. Per xbox support it's ok, but your GF wont be able to access the content without you being logged on to her console.

I think thay just means only she can go back to her own or any other console to play it. But i could still play on mine since she bought it on mine.

You get 2 licenses when you buy a game as i understand it. Profile, and console. Console license allows all tags on the console it was purchased on to play game. But the profile license allows that tag to download/play on any console as long as your on live.

Thats pretty sweet tho. I would say if all works out we could save money, but now we can just buy more things lol.

Joseph0714
07-08-2012, 12:37 AM

EDIT:

Actually, if he buys a XBLA at his girlfriend's Xbox, she will be able to play it while connected to LIVE or not, because the license is their even though she didn't buy it. Now, he to be able to use it, must be connected to LIVE, because even though he bought it, the license is not on that console. If he is not on LIVE, the game will appear as a "Trial" but if you do a License Transfer (via xbox.com or Dashboard), then you will be able to play it offline because the license is on the console now.

I think thay just means only she can go back to her own or any other console to play it. But i could still play on mine since she bought it on mine.

You get 2 licenses when you buy a game as i understand it. Profile, and console. Console license allows all tags on the console it was purchased on to play game. But the profile license allows that tag to download/play on any console as long as your on live.

Thats pretty sweet tho. I would say if all works out we could save money, but now we can just buy more things lol.
THAT :p

and yes, this is a great way to save money :)

the real a 0bsolete
07-08-2012, 12:59 AM
you can play downloaded games without the disk? I can't..

if so, IMO you could potentially get in trouble for this. it is similar to burning CD's, which is illegal

If you are just sharing a copy of the same game I don't see anything wrong with it. it is like the old days when people would bring N64 games over to their friends house to play them :). you bought the game, microsoft can't tell you what console to play it on.

TyrannoSpank
07-08-2012, 03:21 AM
you can play downloaded games without the disk? I can't..

if so, IMO you could potentially get in trouble for this. it is similar to burning CD's, which is illegal

If you are just sharing a copy of the same game I don't see anything wrong with it. it is like the old days when people would bring N64 games over to their friends house to play them :). you bought the game, microsoft can't tell you what console to play it on.
Nah. Arcade or digital downloads. No discs involved. We still buy sperate games for that.