PDA

View Full Version : Best Starter Capture Card

skatemore
07-07-2012, 02:50 PM
I want to make some achievement tutorial videos for youtube. Im not looking for hd necessarily but I would like the graphics to be decent.

I just really want for the capture card to be semi idiot proof and be priced decently. Im not looking to throw down a bunch of money yet becaue I dont know how much I will like it or use it.

Also if anyone could give me info on how capture cards work in general that would be much appreciated. I dont even understand the basics of them:
Do you plug them into the computer/tv/xbox?
How long do they record for?

Thanks!

Skeetacus
07-07-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm not the smartest in this area, although I think the Pinnacle Dazzle may be the way to go. It allows capture; and is fairly inexpensive at around $50 USD. Although to take advantage of it, you may need to shovel out a little more money for AVI Cable splitters; so that your xbox can remain connected to the tv and be connected to the Dazzle; while it remains connected to your computer (although it may be slightly different these days... And this assumes HDMI isn't used). Hmm... This is just a thought though, and is only meant for real generic xbox set-ups. Although I'd go out on a limb and say with the right tutorial it could work through HDMI and such. Hopefully this puts you on the right path!

Skilled
07-07-2012, 03:23 PM
I can't recommend any, but I can tell you to avoid the Roxio Game Capture.

(This is how the roxio game cap works)
What they do is, you plug your component cables into the capture device from your xbox which sends the video to your PC through USB on the side, then you have other component cables which you plug into the other side of the device and into the tv. If that makes sense?

Blink
07-07-2012, 04:20 PM
I recently bought a HDPVR and I enjoy it, the price isn't too high. I looked at several other capture devices before deciding on the Hauppauge, but there wasn't a lot of consistent reviews for them.

Gackt
07-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Dazzle is a good cheaper one to start with.

Crypt
07-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Dazzle is a good cheaper one to start with.
I agree, however I believe you can not go HDMI. I may be wrong. I am interested on how it works out for you. I too, would like to record some xbox 360 stuff for youtube, etc. Let me know how it works out for you

Gackt
07-07-2012, 07:44 PM
make surez u has fast interwebz or ur gun be fuq'd 4vr.

+ hd space cuz yolo

What? Can you not type normally?

Rep
07-07-2012, 07:59 PM
You must not know him very well. :p

OT: I would suggest saving up for an HD PVR or Black Magic. I honestly think that any of the cheaper capture cards (Dazzle, Roxio, Easycap) are not even worth purchasing. I owned two Dazzle capture cards several years ago and they always had problems. Quality isn't that great and I always had problems with it fucking up when recording.

Skeetacus
07-07-2012, 08:01 PM

I think he needs hit in the head with a dictionary... :p

iBuzz7S
07-07-2012, 10:27 PM
With the amount of people doing this on YouTube, your starter capture card should be a Hauppauge HD PVR.

Use this thread (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=162727&highlight=capture) for more information.

warrenpaul
07-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Dazzles are pretty good, but i found the easy cap is just as good if you run it through s-video

there only 8 aswell lol