PDA

View Full Version : Which Type of Achievement Would You Rather Have?

Bobalue
07-08-2012, 02:11 AM
Dedication vs. Skill is what this boils down to. I'd have to opt for an achievement that required an immense amount of skill to get. I'd feel more accomplished this way.

ChickinOnaChain
07-08-2012, 02:26 AM
With my "skills" being limited and have been for the 35 years I've been gaming, I'm okay with grinding ones. I did the 280 game achievement in BeJeweled 2 and the one in TDU 1 & 2, where you have to drive all of the roads too.

Tsaako
07-08-2012, 02:31 AM
One that required an immense amount of grinding to get is what I've voted for. I have a strong disliking to challenging achievements, they make me angry. Most of the time the gain isn't even worth it for me.

Rep
07-08-2012, 02:35 AM
Skill based achievements. I never even bother going for the grinding ones.

BSC YoungBoy
07-08-2012, 02:37 AM
Skill based. Grinding achievements become too much of a bore

yourbreakfast99
07-08-2012, 02:46 AM
i dont have all day to play xbox so i would definetly go with skill ones

dertswa687o
07-08-2012, 02:46 AM
I'm 50-50 on this one simply because I've done both. For skill I have Perfect Play in Triggerheart Exelica and for time I have Ultimate Battler in Star Ocean. I will admit, I definitely freaked out much more when I got Perfect Play. 20 minutes of perfection is extremely difficult in that kind of game. The ending to Star Ocean was really anticlimactic since I was just mashing A in the colosseum to get 99,999 hits. That's not to say I wasn't happy to have it done though.

I guess I'll go skill because those moments where you finally nail it beat out the anticlimactic endings to long grinds.

iBuzz7S
07-08-2012, 03:06 AM
If I want the achievement, I will go for it. There's no "50/50", "skill" or "dedication" that separates them.

judd90
07-08-2012, 03:08 AM
Skill.

I would rather it be hard than a 100 hour long achievement (Like seriously 2.0 etc.) they really annoy me.

InfamousVuk
07-08-2012, 03:08 AM
Skill based achievement, and preferably not online ones (yes this is not asked in the poll)
I also always start a game on the hardest possible setting, sometimes I even play it a few times to unlock the harder modes. This feels more fun to me, while putting my skills to the test.

Capn Doug
07-08-2012, 03:12 AM
I'm fine with either. Grinding doesn't bother me (typing this in between matches in Rumble Roses) and neither does skill. But when either is mixed with luck, then it irritates me. I hate knowing that no matter how good I was, I was not in the right situation to unlock the achievement.

Edit: I definitely seem to show off the high skill achievements like No Point in Dying from Limbo or Dance Instructor from Dance Central, more that say World Champ from Wordament (100 hours to get to 250 on the English Leaderboard) or Solid Gold from Forza.

This message is hidden because Ayx is on your ignore list (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

Smartest move I ever made...

NoctisXZ
07-08-2012, 03:12 AM
I'm going to say skill on this one. And that's simply because most of the achievement that I've ever seen in any game that's required "dedication" were simply a tactic meant to keep people playing the game.. look at those Gears of War achievement for example.

EMP
07-08-2012, 03:16 AM
All depends on how hard you have to grind. It goes both ways depending on the genre as well.

InsulinShaman
07-08-2012, 03:56 AM
I don't mind grinding for achievements but I also like the sense of accomplishment that come with skill-based achievements. There is no preference to me so I'm stuck between the two.

xKRAIZEEMANx
07-08-2012, 04:04 AM
Some rough choices. Some games I excel at, others...not so much. So "gun to head", I chose "Grinding" as my skill levels are not as seasoned as my patience, or ability to function in a repetitive fashion.
Though...immense grinding....

Gackt
07-08-2012, 04:53 AM
Smartest move I ever made...

This message is hidden because Ayx is on your ignore list.

First person I have ever added to it, couldn't be happier :D

OT: Skill based for sure. I don't mind grinding if it's fun, but 90% of the time...it's not.

sleepydumbdude
07-08-2012, 05:17 AM
I would say skill but thats only because maybe skills from previous games have rubbed off and allowed me to get the skill achievement much easier. I don't care about achievements enough to put more than a few hours effort into them.

DJConnelly
07-08-2012, 05:54 AM
Has to be skill. Grinding for an achievement is just the worst. Grinding for anything is pretty bad. Better to say you got 50G for defeating some insanely hard boss/level on the hardest difficulty without taking damage as opposed to chopping down X number of badly named wildlife/aggressive fauna for a few of hours.

Yannie Boy
07-08-2012, 05:57 AM
First person I have ever added to it, couldn't be happier :D

OT: Skill based for sure. I don't mind grinding if it's fun, but 90% of the time...it's not.

Sweet Jesus.....did not know such things exist. Reading or should I say attempting to read his posts felt like my IQ was dropping with each word murdered with that "elite" talk.

OT: Skill is fun and dandy, but the grinding is in-fact bragging rights. Yeah it might be a bitch to get the Mile High Club in COD 4, but tons of people have it after trial and error, but select group of people have Treasure Hunter in FFXIII.

CONKER1182
07-08-2012, 06:27 AM
Achievements that require a lot of kills like the first Seriously achievement.

Death Metal Jim
07-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Both...preferably together (Perfect Dark Zero, GTA IV, Legendary etc.)

CaLL Me Shaq x
07-08-2012, 09:04 AM
I'd rather have both :p

But a skill one shows more IMO

Samigi
07-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Id rather grind than use my 'skill'.

Skilled
07-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Skill as it shows you have something other then time.

rikib004
07-08-2012, 11:33 AM
akordin 2 da internet if u hav srsly 3.0 u haz no lyf so

uz da logik

Wow! Is that the state of the English language now?

OT: Skills all the way.

Chaz Of Sparta
07-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Definetly skill ones - anyone can do grinding achievements, it's just that most people don't bother (myself included :P).

mrj3d
07-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Skill. I've done my fair share of grinding ones... zzzzzz

FFFreak1129
07-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Hard to decide. Probably skill ones. I don't mind either of them. Usually grinding achievements are easier, just have to have the patience to collect 100 treasures or whatever, but some grinding achievements also require skills (like Seriously 3.0). Skill achievements can be done faster, if you have the skills.

hydrosugar
07-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Skill. Though depending on the type of achievement and your dedication to it, skill based achievements could end up taking just as long as grindy ones.

Hards
07-09-2012, 01:34 PM
I enjoy both, but i think i'd rather go for the grinding ones as i know sooner or later i will have the achievement.

DecadentBeaver
07-09-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm ok going for either really, won't just ignore any achievement unless its just scompletely out of my reach.

I prefer to unlock something that takes skill, like completing Gears 1 and 2 on Insane, I'm very proud of them achievements. The grind I am totally jaded about was 7500 item drops on Too Human. Pleased to have got it, but glad its over. Both types make me rage though.

Jakez123
07-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Skill, separates the good players from the bad players in terms of achievements. Anyone can get the grindable achievements with enough time. But not everyone can get the cheevos which require skill.

BombToChest
07-10-2012, 01:43 AM
I usually would say skill but lately a lot of games have making us grind too much lol.

Aiden95
07-10-2012, 02:48 AM
id be more proud of a skill achievement. when i see people boasting about how they got seriously 3.0 i laugh and ask them how long they actually played the game and how many hours got idle boosted

Ayx
07-10-2012, 03:05 AM
I'd like to know why my post was deleted? It was clearly on topic. Didn't know we had a grammar rule now, might as well ban half the people who don't dominate English correctly in terms of grammar.

On topic (Let's see if this gets deleted again?):

I do prefer grinding achievements, although Skill can be obtained by playing the game a lot dedication holds a stronger sense of accomplishment to me for some reason. I don't really brag about them, I just enjoy having achievements not too many people have because they spend their gaming time in other things.

Thee Elf
07-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Skill all the way. With grinding too many people figure out ways to get it with little or no effort. I'd much rather have a skill achievement.

Fire Hawk D
07-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure how to answer that. Both give great satisfaction when I finally finish, but while I love grinding, an achievement that required skill gives me greater satisfaction. Hmmm...

StayonTarget
07-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Skill based. Not "Mile High Club" level but challenging enough that it's still fun.

Iceskater101
07-14-2012, 06:03 PM
I like a game with a mix of both, but I voted for grinding. That doesn't mean I won't attempt the skill ones, I just would rather know I could get an achievement eventually after all the "grinding"

Mandalorian831
07-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Like others Im 50/50. But then again I don't have many achievements that required a lot of skill or grinding.

HRH Dave
07-14-2012, 08:14 PM
I find myself swaying towards the grinding achievements. A lot of so-called skill achievements actually require more luck than skill. You simply need to be in the right place at the right time for example Halo 3's 2 for 1 achievement which took me 3 months to get. My friend then got it in his very first ranked match.

Grinding, however, your hard work is always rewarded in the end.

CaRu
07-14-2012, 08:34 PM
One that required an immense amount of skill to get. I feel like this would make me feel better once I got it because if it takes a long time to get, anyone can sit there for the time and get it. Skill ones are worth more to me.

CODMW2DUDE
07-14-2012, 09:52 PM
I would say grinding because they are not as hard as skill ones, so i can take my time and i don't have to worry about being really good at one particular thing.

KillerBEA
07-14-2012, 10:16 PM
I prefer skill.

I tend to go after longer but not harder achievements; but I do take alot more pride in the hard that I earned then the long ones.

Boro Iz Rich
07-15-2012, 04:08 PM
For me, it depends. If it's a multiplayer achievement, I hate it PERIOD. As for single player, I enjoy achievements that require skill rather than ones that require grinding. Like the 'Seriously' achievements in Gears... screw those, they take too long as opposed to achievements like 'Mile High Club' in CoD4.

GrimSovereignty
07-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Depends on how much I like the game but I sort of like dedication achievements just a little bit more than skill achievements.

Chris Recall
07-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Depends on the game for me. If its something like fifa that I play just for fun then I would go with skill achievement but i dont mind a grind because eventually I no I'll get it. Both are better than multiplayer achievements.

HTownBoi
07-16-2012, 12:06 AM
Skill by far, grinding in games gets boring.

Erxor
07-16-2012, 08:37 AM
I would have to say skill.

Grinding could get annoying especially when they are grinding that involves skill x.x those ones are a hassle.

kkalstad01
07-16-2012, 01:58 PM
My personal thoughts are that you should unlock around 40-50% of the achievements just by finishing the game on medium difficulty. Then you at least have a respectable showing even if you don't want to go through and grind to 100%.

SevenJesterHats
07-16-2012, 04:31 PM
I enjoy both, but when i unlock a ''skill'' based achievement, i feel more satisfied than if i was doing the same thing over and over again for 50+ hours..

Whispin627
07-16-2012, 04:44 PM
I enjoy both. I sometimes spend as much time on skill based as much as the grind based...though skill gives me a better sense of accomplishment (I consider myself a "casual ding dong based fighter/shooter w slow fingers" lol)

Spanish Assault
07-16-2012, 04:46 PM
I honestly don't care either way, but I guess I wouldn't consider myself a skilled gamer. Some achievements I have were tough (Mile high), but most didn't.

napoearth
07-16-2012, 07:03 PM
I voted for skill, I can't stand spending time after time doing something so much I get bored with it. Those achievements are just cheap ways of a developer saying the game has replay value.

mattesty
07-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Can't pick, I like a little bit of both. Variety is nice.

Spade.
07-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Skill. I actually don't think I have any that would require "grinding"

niko da bos
07-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Skill based achievements. I never even bother going for the grinding ones.

i agree, unless it happens to be something i figure will happen naturally (ex - playing 200 games, on a title where i am enjoying myself).

a great example would be for the original L4D game, i remember there was an achievement for killing like 53,456 zombies or something random like that. which is an obvious grinding achievement, however i didnt even feel accomplished after it popped.

however, beating every campaign on expert mode to pop "something to prove" made me feel very satisfied. i even helped several people from the site get them as well, even after i had gotton them myself. nothing beats the satisfaction i get when finishing a game on the hardest difficulty, i know i have conquered all it has to offer :P

ReaptheChaos
07-17-2012, 03:19 AM
I cant answer this poll because Id rather have neither. I prefer achievements that are fun to get just like I prefer games that are fun to play. Sometimes I think people take games to seriously, skill has nothing to do with video games. You may be better at certain type of games, but Id wager thats because you enjoy them more so you spend more time playing them over others.