PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood Floor and Kinect-Jumpathon games don't mix.

TVthePunisher
07-08-2012, 05:10 PM
When I first got a Kinect, I was living in a house with Carpet...which means jumping around forced no sort of vibration that could have knocked the sensor from it's perch atop my Vizio. Right well...moving on, I started living in a place with hardwood floor...and on occasion the Kinect sensor bar would shake atop the TV rapidly until it sometimes fell behind it (though no damage was done).

Until today...on the newest Fun Lab Micro 5 ...whatever the hell it's called and I jumped to force it off the back again, only this time: it snapped the white ball thing inside. So now...effectively, the thing wivvels and wobbles and...well the white thing is broken inside so it will not stand on the silver rod up it's Kinecty ass.

Let's just say my frustration at this point was limited at first to curse words in the English vocabulary before I started another language out of wrath.

Point being, it's my own fault...for playing games that have you jump all the fucking time (Kinectimals, Kinect Adventures, fun labs apps) on a hardwood floor where vibrations can knock the sensor from off the television. It's also my fault for not trying preventive measures such as one of those things you can buy keep it situated. Furthermore I shouldn't have my TV sitting on a dresser thing with virtually no way to put the sensor at the BOTTOM rather than ontop of a space that's not even as wide as the Kinect Sensor's base!

All that said...i mad bro. Too much jumping in these friggin' games...it's not that it's tiring, it's just that it causes everything else on a hardwood floor to shake (glad I'm not a big guy or the TV mighta crashed instead). The sensor still works...it just...I have to tape it to the television now to keep it straight since it can't balance on the base anymore...uggggh...

Capn Doug
07-08-2012, 05:46 PM
That's unfortunate, though I've never had that problem. My mother's house has hardwood, and I've never had that much trouble jumping when I house sit there. Then again, I'm able to play Dance Central on the top floor of the house without waking anyone, so I guess it might just be my technique. My game room has carpet, and it is actually worse, since you tend to go harder with the jumps because of it. That was how I get most of my injuries: forgetting that under the carpet is concrete.

mrj3d
07-08-2012, 08:37 PM
I have hardwood floors and I haven't had any real problems. Have a good sturdy stand though...

heuvadeuce
07-11-2012, 12:57 AM
Im on hardwood floors as well and havent had it fall off ever. It can be noisy though and when my gf's sleeping ill put a rug or exercise mat down. Im sure that would cushion the impact a bit and might prevent it from happening again.

TVthePunisher
07-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Correction then...TV's Hardwood Floors and Kinect don't mix ._. I guess it's just that this house is old and when jumping, the room shakes. Either way...I can't play Kinect until I'm somewhere that's not like this...and even then, I've got to have this taped now...sadface...=/

Maccoy
07-19-2012, 12:56 AM
I have marble tile floors and they are very unforgiving. I recommend going to your nearest IKEA and buying a big soft rug. That is what I did. It helps.

Dalek Nation
07-19-2012, 06:20 PM
On Kin Sports 2 (football), I had to learn to run like a ninja... this really helps with YourShape'12 on the running as well.
If you can't afford a thick rug try several towels lying on eachother (folding them over doesn't work for me as they just become unfolded when I get goin').

APassingShadow
07-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Dang that sucks dude. You should see if you still got your receipt and what the return policy is where you bought. If not check your warranties.

Also to prevent this from happening again I recommend you buy some double sided adhesive foam. It will be strong enough to hold your kinect sensor.