PDA

View Full Version : Stupid words that are censored in games.

Warren17
07-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Not sure if this belong here or if there is another, if there is please move this or delete it.
What is the dumbest word(s) that you could not use in a game. Me and me friend tired changing our names to big brother and little brother in NHL 11 and it said it was a inappropriate name. The same thing happens to big brother in NHL 12. I would like to now what is so bad about those two names.

Capn Doug
07-11-2012, 09:06 PM
I know Band Hero censored the word "whiskey" from American Pie, which has to be the stupidest censor edit I have heard on 360. Even worse because they censored whiskey but not rye, which is also a form of alcohol.

DecadentBeaver
07-11-2012, 09:41 PM
I tried to use the word Holiday on a sign in Minecraft and it wouldn't allow it. Seriously!

On PS3, I couldn't use the word crap in a message, but was allowed crackhead!? What the F?

JAW LV
07-11-2012, 09:50 PM
I remember Madden 11 censored a couple stupid words from a song they had playing in the title screen. I don't remember the band and song name but I do remember the following words were censored as I was familiar with the song lyrics itself: die, loose your life.

LankstaTDOT
07-11-2012, 10:08 PM
In NFS World (It isn't an Xbox 360 game) you cannot use any religious leaders' names such as "Buddha", "Jesus", "Allah", etc.

And the funny thing is they still release religion related gamer packs for money.

iBuzz7S
07-12-2012, 12:59 AM
And the funny thing is they still release religion related gamer packs for money.
Not related to religion, but this is quite funny itself.

What Is Wrong With Microsoft and Xbox LIVE? - YouTube

Even with Saints Row avatar content, they have a pimps cane, but they renamed it. Funny thing is, the Code of Conduct outlines that you can't hint at something, yet Microsoft allow it themselves.

HugTheBear
07-12-2012, 01:24 AM
I know Band Hero censored the word "whiskey" from American Pie, which has to be the stupidest censor edit I have heard on 360. Even worse because they censored whiskey but not rye, which is also a form of alcohol.

I thought it was common knowledge that the "rye" Don Mclean was singing about was bread, not alcohol. :p

OT: I was an immature child at times, so it was understandable that games wouldn't let me use a lot of words.

BSC YoungBoy
07-12-2012, 01:38 AM
On FIFA I tried to make my player's name Bill Gates but whenever I played with him online, it would show up as a random name

hydrosugar
07-12-2012, 01:51 AM
On FIFA I tried to make my player's name Bill Gates but whenever I played with him online, it would show up as a random name

That's pretty strange. Maybe it'd work on PS3 lol.

SilentStrike011
07-12-2012, 01:58 AM
Think it was MW3, but I couldn't call may assault rifle class "Assault" even though the word is used all over the menus for the rifle lists :/
KTHENACTIVISION.

andami
07-12-2012, 05:25 AM

And what takes the cake is "damn" from Bad Reputation wasn't censored.

Capn Doug
07-12-2012, 07:40 AM
And what takes the cake is "damn" from Bad Reputation wasn't censored.

Gone with the Wind logic. Damn isn't necessarily a curse if it is given, since there was an old Indian currency called a dam. It would be like saying "I don't give a peso" or some other currency that has little value in your society.

ConfederateSuga
07-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Rock Band. The following words are censored: Fuck, shit, bitch, dick, cock, penis, pussy, clit, vagina, tits, titties, boobs, cum, semen, jizz, jizm, spooge, asshole, anus, slut, whore, bitch, blowjob, buttfuck, chode, coochie, cunt, cameltoe, cameltail, dildo, dike, fag, douche, erection, boner, fudgepacker, handjob. Did I miss any? Ah well, you get the point. Censorship in games is lame! Especially music games. I can't tell you how many songs I've played with anticipation only to hear simple, non-offensive cursewords silenced.

CHIRUNO99
07-12-2012, 09:47 AM
There's a hell of a lot of words you can't use as search terms for Forza. I think they're still blocking kanon but I'm not sure, which is odd since they allow clannad.

Skilled
07-12-2012, 10:07 AM
In the devil went down to Georgia on GH3 they censored B*tch

dakisbac
07-12-2012, 11:55 AM
In the remake of Conker's Bad Fur Day (Conker Live and Reloaded) they censored the password to get into the bar, which was 'fellatio' IIRC.

Ceris
07-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Play Phantasy Star Universe and you will be censored left and right, I SWEAR! Wow is it crazy on there. I'll give some examples

They fixed most of these but here are some examples
Oh
Midnite
Grapes
Beast (there is a race named beast:eek:)
email
!!!!!!! (i'm serious, if you put an exact number of !, it's blocked)
missions
bite
tate
puta (spanish swear word)

So yeah, there are more but those are just a few that are strange.

They also don't pick up on grammar so if you say "didn't it", they see it as "tit" and block the "t it" part.

EliteShadowMan
07-12-2012, 12:34 PM
There's a hell of a lot of words you can't use as search terms for Forza. I think they're still blocking kanon but I'm not sure, which is odd since they allow clannad.

That's because Kanon isn't a good anime, whereas Clannad is awesome.

OT: I've noticed it quite a bit on Guitar Hero games which is understandable, but i don't think i've ever seen stupid words censored in games.

ADAMS No2
07-12-2012, 12:47 PM
When I create a class in Black OPS that use's the famas, I'm not allowed to call it FAMAS because it's a naughty word. Can only assume it's because it sounds like ass!!

THE DEADLY DOG
07-12-2012, 01:05 PM
I remember the Ratchet and Clank series being plagued with terrible censorship.

DarkReign2021
07-12-2012, 01:25 PM
In the remake of Conker's Bad Fur Day (Conker Live and Reloaded) they censored the password to get into the bar, which was 'fellatio' IIRC.

They censored the whole damn game. That completely ruined the Great Mighty Poo boss fight. Really wish they would've had a non-censored patch or setting in the game.

mrj3d
07-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Rock Band. The following words are censored: Fuck, shit, bitch, dick, cock, penis, pussy, clit, vagina, tits, titties, boobs, cum, semen, jizz, jizm, spooge, asshole, anus, slut, whore, bitch, blowjob, buttfuck, chode, coochie, cunt, cameltoe, cameltail, dildo, dike, fag, douche, erection, boner, fudgepacker, handjob. Did I miss any? Ah well, you get the point. Censorship in games is lame! Especially music games. I can't tell you how many songs I've played with anticipation only to hear simple, non-offensive cursewords silenced.

LOL!

I was gonna say Rock Band. A lot of the songs have weird words censored out. Just a moment of no lyrics....

hydrosugar
07-12-2012, 01:38 PM
They censored the whole damn game. That completely ruined the Great Mighty Poo boss fight. Really wish they would've had a non-censored patch or setting in the game.

This game NEEDS to come to XBLA uncensored. CBFD with achievements would be fucking awesome.

Samigi
07-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Clan tags in cod, I tried using shit, poo, sh1t they wouldn't allow it even though the game is rated 18... :/

CHIRUNO99
07-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Apparently, here's a petition for A Minecraft Uncensoring Petition (https://www.change.org/petitions/microsoft-mojang-stop-sign-censorship-in-minecraft-xbla) which you can try to sign but whether or not it actually does something is pretty slim. That's said they need to uncensor the word monster, that's just ridiculous.
That's because Kanon isn't a good anime, whereas Clannad is awesome.
But I liked 'The silly things little girls will say' but I started watching Clannad and they're both pretty good imho.

EliteShadowMan
07-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Apparently, here's a petition for A Minecraft Uncensoring Petition (https://www.change.org/petitions/microsoft-mojang-stop-sign-censorship-in-minecraft-xbla) which you can try to sign but whether or not it actually does something is pretty slim. That's said they need to uncensor the word monster, that's just ridiculous.

But I liked 'The silly things little girls will say' but I started watching Clannad and they're both pretty good imho.

Yeah, i was just messing around. I haven't seen Kanon so i have no idea if it's good. But Hydro decided to tell me it's worth a watch so we'll see.

Minecraft definitely has issues with Censoring words though. Didn't think about that before.

bigbear2face
07-12-2012, 04:36 PM
I remember Madden 11 censored a couple stupid words from a song they had playing in the title screen. I don't remember the band and song name but I do remember the following words were censored as I was familiar with the song lyrics itself: die, loose your life.

I remember that another EA game (maybe even that one) had significant words cut out of Guns and Roses' "Welcome to the Jungle"...

phot0Harv
07-12-2012, 08:10 PM
there's a song called El Buen Salvaje (the good wildmen) of a Venezuelan Band called "La vida boheme" and there's a part that goes

No hay jabón para limpiarnos la boca, sin maldecir
Me encanta cuando vistes sin ropa, sin maldecir

Thal would translate to:
There's no soap to wash our mouths without cursing
i love it when you dress without clothes, withour cursing

In Fifa 12 they took out the part that says without clothes..

pretty stupid

jules the great
07-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Think it was MW3, but I couldn't call may assault rifle class "Assault" even though the word is used all over the menus for the rifle lists :/
KTHENACTIVISION.
Yeah i remember in Black Ops it was like that. Could not use ASSault at all. Ridiculous.

SilentStrike011
07-13-2012, 04:04 AM
Yeah i remember in Black Ops it was like that. Could not use ASSault at all. Ridiculous.

Aha, I know it has the word "ass" in it but assault is a word that is all over that game series and I'm yet to meet someone who's been deeply offended after being called an ass :)

Warren17
07-13-2012, 04:45 AM
Another stupid EA one. Spice is banned in NHL. EA seems to censor out stupid stuff but Adof Hitler is just fine.

LankstaTDOT
07-13-2012, 05:07 AM
Another stupid EA one. Spice is banned in NHL. EA seems to censor out stupid stuff but Adof Hitler is just fine.

lol 'Hitler' is also a banned term in NFS World.

Not related to religion, but this is quite funny itself.

What Is Wrong With Microsoft and Xbox LIVE? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-01ZivThyOY)

Even with Saints Row avatar content, they have a pimps cane, but they renamed it. Funny thing is, the Code of Conduct outlines that you can't hint at something, yet Microsoft allow it themselves.

lol that jokes and towelie looks high

TVthePunisher
07-13-2012, 05:37 AM
I still think it's funny that when we did have actual weapons for Avatar props they barely did anything..."violent" with them in the slightest. But now that we have "toy versions", you actually see them running around shooting stuff. I still think it was a stupid decision to get rid of actual Lancers and the like.

I remember the Ratchet and Clank series being plagued with terrible censorship.

Really? I remember being able to jump side to side in (I believe the first) one of the games in front of a chick to make her boobs grow to triple E's just about. Some weird easter egg/glitch...x.x

As for my own experiences in censorship...nothing really pops up at the moment that I can remember. Hell recently I saw an achievement with the word "Fuck" in it, apparently it's on Shadow(s?) of the Damned. Plenty of games I play have all sorts of curse words...but usually the typical "GOD DAMN" is kept out of everything.

Taking a second to lol at Tremors on the USA network editing out Kevin Bacon's slurs...they made him sound idiotic trying to cover up some of the stuff he said.

CHIRUNO99
07-13-2012, 07:13 AM

Microsoft have this idea that because they came up with the avatar idea they can do whatever the hell they like with them and tell everyone else they can't. It's completely ridiculous.

Crimson Ridley
07-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Green Day Rock Band has some funny censorship. They censor a lot of silly things but, leave "bastard" and "masturbation" in. Also, I'm pretty sure Paramore's "Misery Business" didn't censor the word "whore" when the game censors some less offensive terms.

I remember Disturbed's "Stupify" on Rock Band. It was clear he was saying "fuck" but, they changed it to "fack" or a variation of in the lyrics.

Drewdude1023
07-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Microsoft is nothing more than a group of old men who act like pussies

dakisbac
07-13-2012, 10:16 PM

This is true. I just remembered that in particular because that word should really not be censored. It's not like 'fuck' where little kids recognise it as a curse - I certainly didn't know what the word meant when I played the original.

And for everyone's viewing pleasure:

The Great Mighty Poo Song - CBFD - YouTube

CMCX360
07-14-2012, 12:11 AM

Came in here to post this. Ruined the game for me. Now I stick with Rock Band 3 for parties.