PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 720 all digital

bboy360
07-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Sorry to rehash an old subject, but there was news of EA saying it was going all digital:
http://sfluxe.com/2012/07/04/electronic-arts-exec-ea-is-going-100-percent-digital-technology-news/

I made many valid points about that the xbox 720 doesn't need a disk drive and would be a better business move costs/repairs... Was laughed at, called an idiot, what about all those people living in the boonies with no internet... I'm not going to bring up those points again, but I think the above article proves I was right. Shows most of the money is coming from digital downloads now.

dwayne_hicks
07-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Sorry to rehash an old subject, but there was news of EA saying it was going all digital:
http://sfluxe.com/2012/07/04/electronic-arts-exec-ea-is-going-100-percent-digital-technology-news/

I'm not going to bring up those points again, but I think the above article proves I was right. Shows most of the money is coming from digital downloads now.

The article you linked gives nothing to back up its claim of "most money comes from digital downloads". It even says they'l do whatever the customer demands, so if we show we want to have a boxed option we will get a boxed option.

Plus, the article is only speaking about EA going "100% digital"

rikib004
07-12-2012, 07:14 PM
The worst thing is... EA would save money as they would totally eliminate production costs in that area yet we won't save a penny... Great, EA found a way to make MORE money.

Banes
07-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Did you even read the story that you posted?

That doesn’t mean, however, that the company will abandon its retail partners and stop offering disc titles — as long as gamers want them.

Physical copies of games won't be gone so quickly. I imagine the "Xbox 720" is more than likely going to come with a Blu-Ray disc drive. The size and quality of a Blu-Ray is great. So for complete digital downloads, what about people who don't have credit cards? And don't bring up the argument of prepaid credit cards, that would just be an annoyance.

I imagine we'll see a step up in digital gaming, something along the lines of new releases being released digitally the same day for downloads. But 100% digital gaming is still a ways away.

bboy360
07-12-2012, 07:17 PM
The article you linked gives nothing to back up its claim of "most money comes from digital downloads". It even says they'l do whatever the customer demands, so if we show we want to have a boxed option we will get a boxed option.

Plus, the article is only speaking about EA going "100% digital"

Well it's the fastest growing and they say they'll be 100% in the near future.

ChickinOnaChain
07-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Considering I've probably bought my last console, it won't effect me. If it did, I wouldn't buy into any digital game. I want something to sell when I get tired of it...not just something to delete off my HD.

bboy360
07-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Did you even read the story that you posted?
But 100% digital gaming is still a ways away.

Mega-game publisher Electronic Arts certainly sees the trend, and EA Labels President Frank Gibeau told GamesIndustry International that EA will be 100 percent digital in the “near future.”

They say near future. That doesn't sound like still a ways away. And if EA goes that way, I'm sure activision and the other will too.

Yeah, the next xbox will probably have a blu-ray I'm sure it's already been decided, but MS doesn't want customers that don't have credit cards. They want them as part of their xbox live eco system to keep spending money with one click. They sell new consoles at a loss and the person who "needs" a physical disc usually isn't someone who is going to spend a lot of money on games.

bboy360
07-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Considering I've probably bought my last console, it won't effect me. If it did, I wouldn't buy into any digital game. I want something to sell when I get tired of it...not just something to delete off my HD.

Yeah, I want something I can sell when I get tired of it too. It's not good for the consumer, but more money for MS.

Which brings me to my other point that since studies have found that close to 70% of disc games are not bought 2nd hand, publishers could sell digital games at 1/2 price and make more money. I'm not saying they will, but they could. There's a magic number, ratio... But 1st month sell the game at $60, then drop it down to $30 just like used games, but the money goes to the publisher, not gamestop.

Gackt
07-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Oh look...another next gen thread from bboy360.
Next xbox is not going to be digital only, future consoles I am sure will but it is far too soon for it to happen right now.

bboy360
07-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Oh look...another next gen thread from bboy360.
Next xbox is not going to be digital only, future consoles I am sure will but it is far too soon for it to happen right now.

I'm only bringing it up because of the EA quotes. I agree the next xbox won't be digital only, but it's possible they might have 2. One with bluray and one with a very large HD.

Gackt
07-12-2012, 08:08 PM
I'm only bringing it up because of the EA quotes. I agree the next xbox won't be digital only, but it's possible they might have 2. One with bluray and one with a very large HD.

I don't see the point in one without an optical drive. Mostly because the one with an optical drive can still have access to digital content...

cjdavies
07-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Unless I hear it from Microsoft itself, I don't believe it.

There were rumors of an announcement at E3 of a new console - didn't happen.

Does it clearly mention the next console?

MS doesn't want customers that don't have credit cards.

What?! Now I heard it all with that stupid statement.

Banes
07-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Lol I highly doubt they'll make 2 different kinds of consoles. Now you're starting to sound like a fanboy with wishful thinking. They'll come out with the same bundles they have now. Pay more, get more.

And for you to say Microsoft doesn't want people that dont have credit cards. Im sorry, but have you clued in that you can pay with PayPal for points, etc? Digital gaming isn't new. We've had it for half of the Xbox's existence. Its starting to flourish more. But next gen will not be 100% digital.

Drewdude1023
07-12-2012, 08:40 PM
While I don't think it'll be digital only, certainly the new console will have a HUGE HD (probably at least 2 TB). It will definitely have Blu Ray and I'm sure everything will be available digitally as soon as they are available. I've said this before: I'm sure everything will be available digitally from the get go and will probably cost a little bit less than the physical discs. This way they give people incentive to buy digitally for the slightly lower cost and the ease and at the same time they don't alienate people who need the discs.

Ryot Control
07-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Quite honestly, If Microsoft is padding their HDD profits by limiting their HDDs to 320gb now, I don't expect the HDDs to be that much bigger for the next gen console either; especially with the profit margin they build since laptop sized HDDs have become increasingly cheaper to manufacture.

And isn't Blu-Ray owned by Sony by name or just a major backer? There was a reason Microsoft went HD-DVD, but I can't remember why.

I've always hoped for an, "Xbox lite." Give me a tiny sized system with wireless and a wired hub, remove the disc drive to shrink the footprint even more, make it so that didn't need a power brick like the PS3, a large enough hard drive with one USB and I got me a travel Xbox to go.

Won't happen though. That's what Windows Phone and GFWL is for.

bboy360
07-12-2012, 09:35 PM
The main reason EA is saying this is cus of the used games and gamefly. They're just not getting the same money back as they used to.

Xbox 360 had different consoles, Xbox arcade with no hard drive, with 10gb or 20gb and that black elite one. Heck, I guess you could just use the windows 8 tablets. They have a bunch of windows live games for winRT and regular compute games. Maybe a tablet will have a slot for a graphics card add-on. Get a docking station and connect it to your TV.

And you can get 2TB hard drives for $100 now. It's also not the end of the world to delete the game and then re-download it a couple months later if you want to go back to it.

bboy360
07-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Quite honestly, If Microsoft is padding their HDD profits by limiting their HDDs to 320gb now, I don't expect the HDDs to be that much bigger for the next gen console either; especially with the profit margin they build since laptop sized HDDs have become increasingly cheaper to manufacture.

And isn't Blu-Ray owned by Sony by name or just a major backer? There was a reason Microsoft went HD-DVD, but I can't remember why.

I've always hoped for an, "Xbox lite." Give me a tiny sized system with wireless and a wired hub, remove the disc drive to shrink the footprint even more, make it so that didn't need a power brick like the PS3, a large enough hard drive with one USB and I got me a travel Xbox to go.

Won't happen though. That's what Windows Phone and GFWL is for.

That's the windows 8 tablet almost.

Gackt
07-12-2012, 09:41 PM
The main reason EA is saying this is cus of the used games and gamefly. They're just not getting the same money back as they used to.

They will lose a lot of customers if they try to rid themselves of used games/rentals. If I can't rent games anymore, I'll just head back to being an exclusive PC only gamer.

bboy you should read this thread:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=378094

Shows how to use multi quote, instead of double+ posting :)

bboy360
07-12-2012, 09:46 PM
They will lose a lot of customers if they try to rid themselves of used games/rentals. If I can't rent games anymore, I'll just head back to being an exclusive PC only gamer.

bboy you should read this thread:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=378094

Shows how to use multi quote, instead of double+ posting :)

I'd assume EA and other publishers would do the same thing with their PC games, download only. I'm not saying it's going to be good for the consumers. People are buying tons of iPhone games and not re-selling them.

Ryot Control
07-12-2012, 09:50 PM
That's the windows 8 tablet almost.

If they add controller compatibility then I just might fall in love with the idea of owning a tablet.

Banes
07-12-2012, 10:45 PM
I'd assume EA and other publishers would do the same thing with their PC games, download only. I'm not saying it's going to be good for the consumers. People are buying tons of iPhone games and not re-selling them.

iPhone games are 0.99-4.99, as opposed to 39.99-69.99. Even if you found a magic lamp and asked the genie to grant you the wish of 100% digital games, they wouldn't be priced at 0.99-4.99.

bboy360
07-12-2012, 11:49 PM
If they add controller compatibility then I just might fall in love with the idea of owning a tablet.

Microsoft made that keyboard, I don't see why they or someone won't make a good controller for win 8

Gackt
07-12-2012, 11:52 PM

I buy most of my PC games digitally anyway, my problem isn't with digital distribution but I know Sony/MS for the most part will price things far to high most of the time. Where as places like STEAM on PC, you can actually get decent deals. Few examples being, I bought Assassins Creed, Street Fighter 4 for 5 dollars each. They always have excellent sales on there.

bboy360
07-12-2012, 11:53 PM

iPhone games are 0.99-4.99, as opposed to 39.99-69.99. Even if you found a magic lamp and asked the genie to grant you the wish of 100% digital games, they wouldn't be priced at 0.99-4.99.

Yeah, I agree but they take a lot less time and money to make. If I was a game company CEO, I'd rather make 1000 $2.99 games than one $60.00 game that will sell for 1 week and then everyone will gamefly it or buy it used. All this means is we're just going to get a bunch of low res crappy games until everything goes all digital and you can't resell games.

Gackt
07-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I agree but they take a lot less time and money to make. If I was a game company CEO, I'd rather make 1000 $2.99 games than one $60.00 game that will sell for 1 week and then everyone will gamefly it or buy it used. All this means is we're just going to get a bunch of low res crappy games until everything goes all digital and you can't resell games.

You would rather make lots of crap for casual gamers, than good games for core gamers? I believe activision is looking for people like that.
And games sell much longer than 1 week before profits start to slow down.

CODMW2DUDE
07-13-2012, 12:06 AM
That's not necessarily true i love games and have a lot of them and all of them are physical disc games. I'm sorry but not all of us are spoiled and get everything that we want when we want it. That's why so many people live at home with their parents cause they teach them nothing. My parents wont let me use their credit cards i use my own cash to buy my games.

DEG23
07-13-2012, 12:27 AM
Gackt vs bboy: round 2:p

How does one define 'near future'? I am almost 99% certain that the next gen console will not be digital only. Having said that i do believe the software industry as a whole will be cloud based in the next 3-5 years. EA may be deciding to go all digital in 1-2 years but that does not mean all publishers are doing the same.

Also big companies like EA aren't stupid they know they are losing money in the second hand market, so i am almost certain they will introduce a license system for digital downloads. You pay full price, whatever that may be and you own the game, then you can sell the license and lose access to the game or even have a rental license.

CODMW2DUDE
07-13-2012, 12:34 AM
I am just saying not everybody wants to do that i know that i don't want to do that, it's easier to just use a disc. But then again i am one of those that lives out in the Quote"boonies"Unquote.

NoctisXZ
07-13-2012, 03:27 AM
This debate is honestly stupid.. and while the OP is seeking validation it seems from an earlier thread he won't be getting it, from myself at least..

Physical retail isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Yes, digital distribution is on the rise.. it's undeniable. But the fact of the matter is that physical retail still brings in a huge amount of money. To simply due away with that entire section of the market would just be dumb.

Not to mention the idea of them doing this to prevent second sales is going to be rather moot any day now. Look at what's happened in EU. It's going to happen in NA and everywhere else soon enough...

Near future my ass is all I have to say. I can't see ANY of the big dogs going all digital for at least another 5-10 years.

bboy360
07-13-2012, 05:23 PM
The problem is a new game with a a really good new gaming engine costs a lot more to make now and it's a big risk spending 100 of millions on a game that may or may not sell. Look at Curt Schilling, and his game was actually pretty good.

And personally I don't want to make a bunch of crap games that make money, but that's what's going to happen. You'll have COD, Halo and maybe BioShock sequals on disk but that's about it. Everything else is going to transition to digital only. Yeah the next Xbox will have a blu-ray drive probably, but you'll probably never use it in a couple years. Then a couple years after the xbox 720 comes out, they'll make a smaller cheaper xbox 720 without a disk drive.

Already most of the good games I've enjoyed recently have been on xbox live arcade.

And selling your digital license? Are you crazy? Minecraft and TimeTrials are $20 games that people are downloading like crazy. Why would they bother to let you sell your license. Anyway it would have to be through microsoft because it's their store you download it from.

Is it easier to use a disk? Yes and No. Getting the actually disk/driving to the store or waiting a couple days for the mail is harder than download to your drive and playing it. I guess it depends on your point of view. To me it's easier to play a digital download.

Gackt
07-13-2012, 07:45 PM
You'll have COD, Halo and maybe BioShock sequals on disk but that's about it. Everything else is going to transition to digital only.

lol....no. Where do you come up with this stuff?

bboy360
07-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Well I guess there is no use in debating it anymore. I just wanted to show the EA quotes.

The new console will probably come out october 2013. So my prediction is between October 2015-October 2016, Xbox will come out with console without a cd/blu-ray drive and most gaming will be from digital downloads. Burn this post in stone.

Gackt
07-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Well I guess there is no use in debating it anymore. I just wanted to show the EA quotes.

The new console will probably come out october 2013. So my prediction is between October 2015-October 2016, Xbox will come out with console without a cd/blu-ray drive and most gaming will be from digital downloads. Burn this post in stone.

So they will release a console in 2013 as planned, then between 2015-16 they are going to release another version of it that has no disc drive even though the console we have right now has access to digital content. Just so it can only access digital content only. Yeah...that makes lots of sense.

bboy360
07-14-2012, 01:29 AM
So they will release a console in 2013 as planned, then between 2015-16 they are going to release another version of it that has no disc drive even though the console we have right now has access to digital content. Just so it can only access digital content only. Yeah...that makes lots of sense.

If you have an old console, you wouldn't buy a new one. Just like I don't have a new black Xbox Elite, I have an old white one. This would just be a different cheaper option, or an option with a larger hard drive.

Gackt
07-14-2012, 02:06 AM
If you have an old console, you wouldn't buy a new one. Just like I don't have a new black Xbox Elite, I have an old white one. This would just be a different cheaper option, or an option with a larger hard drive.

There is no money to be made in creating a model with no optical drive. Some companies want to go full digital, that is fine but Microsoft would lose customers and a large amount of money if they went that route with the next generation console. It just won't happen, eventually yeah...but it's too soon for it to happen within the next few years.
And you're talking about them mixing models, 1 with an optical drive and 1 without, but has a larger HDD and no ability to play physical media. It's almost a step backwards at that point since digital distribution only is nowhere near being a reality for Xbox. We have some of it already with Games on Demand and XBLA, but if you took away the ability to buy physical copies of games, rent games, bring games to friends houses, ect... you would just end up losing money/customers like I said.

And besides...
http://thedroidguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Xbox-720-Information-Details-leak.jpg

Blue Ray is the very first thing you see confirmed on this leaked(confirmed legit) document. Definitely points to them sticking for the most part with discs.
Also, games will be larger in size next gen, and not enough people have the bandwidth or speeds to download full retail games on the current system. There are to many reasons to not go full digital, and to many reasons to stick to the way it's working currently...which is how I am guessing it will remain.

NoctisXZ
07-14-2012, 03:10 AM
The problem is a new game with a a really good new gaming engine costs a lot more to make now and it's a big risk spending 100 of millions on a game that may or may not sell. Look at Curt Schilling, and his game was actually pretty good.

And personally I don't want to make a bunch of crap games that make money, but that's what's going to happen. You'll have COD, Halo and maybe BioShock sequals on disk but that's about it. Everything else is going to transition to digital only. Yeah the next Xbox will have a blu-ray drive probably, but you'll probably never use it in a couple years. Then a couple years after the xbox 720 comes out, they'll make a smaller cheaper xbox 720 without a disk drive.

Already most of the good games I've enjoyed recently have been on xbox live arcade.

And selling your digital license? Are you crazy? Minecraft and TimeTrials are $20 games that people are downloading like crazy. Why would they bother to let you sell your license. Anyway it would have to be through microsoft because it's their store you download it from.

Is it easier to use a disk? Yes and No. Getting the actually disk/driving to the store or waiting a couple days for the mail is harder than download to your drive and playing it. I guess it depends on your point of view. To me it's easier to play a digital download.

Um... I'm honestly baffled by the statements you've been making. Bringing up the situation with Curt Schilling for starters is a pretty lackluster example..

I must admit that I'm not very fond of games like Call of Duty but I wouldn't call them "crap games" by any measure of the word, it's just not your taste.. and if you seriously believe that the only games that'll have physical copies in the near future are the bigger titles you're honestly kind of dumb.

And another thing.. what does the games you've been enjoying recently being on Xbox Live Arcade have to do with the situation? Are you trying to imply something with that?.. once again, that is simply a matter of taste and nothing more.

And no I'm not crazy. Looks up what's happened in the EU. Reselling your copy of a game that you've purchased digitally has become legal regardless of whether any company wants you to or not. And why exactly would it have to be through Microsoft? If Gamestop wanted to jump into the digital resale market they could..

Believe it or not there are some who still play/enjoy video games who aren't really wired in so to speak. They don't shop online and things of that nature.. I for example don't. It has nothing to do with viewpoints.. for some of us it's MUCH easier to just go to a store and throw down $60 on a game and never have to worry about it ever again. For others it's much easier to just purchase online.

Tired of all this digital bullshit. All digital is not happening anytime soon and I don't care what anyone says. Look at the marketing strategies of Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo. They have been/are currently trying to capture the non-gamer.. would it really make sense to force mom and dad to have to make all of their purchases digitally when a great deal of them have no idea how to even navigate around those types of things?

And regardless of all of that it just wouldn't work now. The world is not ready to go all digital. Forcing it would just be stupid.. you know how many people would quit gaming all together if something like that happened right now? A lot.. and trust me, these companies are about making money. As long as physical retail is still bringing in millions/billions of dollars they aren't just simply going to do away with it.

It will eventually happen. But not anytime soon..

fastNcurious
07-14-2012, 03:55 AM
Why does this thread title start with "Xbox 720"??? I thought we already voted in here and decided the new console will be named Xbox Infinity.

;)

I H8ME I Santos
07-14-2012, 05:08 AM
I would rather prefer to have disc and cases for my games than have them digitally. Files can still get corrupted and I am sure downloading the new-gen console games are going to be bigger than 10+ GB of HDD space which would get annoying to DL.

Wildmn34
07-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Why does this thread title start with "Xbox 720"??? I thought we already voted in here and decided the new console will be named Xbox Infinity.

;)

Because it's a rule that every thread bboy starts has to have 720 in it.

I can't tell if you are serious or just trying to get a reaction from people. Sadly, I think you actually believe that. It makes absolutely no sense for a company to release a model of a product that is inferior to an existing model and expect people to buy it.

yourbreakfast99
07-14-2012, 06:39 AM

I can't believe it, someone else who has an original white one, lol

cjdavies
07-14-2012, 08:05 AM
I can't believe it, someone else who has an original white one, lol

Me 3 :) my saying is if it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)

StillTIPPIN187
07-15-2012, 01:17 AM
Digital FTW! Atleast appeal to both sides.. Give us a console with a drive and a console without one.. And allow us to download full retail games at launch instead of driving out in the cold for a damn piece of plastic.. with the same digital code i could have downloaded for free and saved some gas i could have used for work during the week.

Banes
07-15-2012, 01:54 AM
This thread is seriously still going? People need to realize consoles aren't going to be 100% digital in any kind of near future. Unless you call 6-10 years near. There is no reason to get rid of physical copies of games. Digital and phyiscal copies are going to co-exist amongst eachother, whether you have high hopes or not.

VitaminAmy
07-15-2012, 02:17 AM
I prefer owning the physical copy of a game. I'm not against digital only but I don't think console makers should shut out people who don't play online.

bboy360
07-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Sorry, I couldn't respond until today.
But, to Gackt. I'm sure microsoft is going to make the same money selling the digital version of the game vs the disc version. It has to go through the Xbox live store. Same with the WP7 windows 8 ...

To NoctisXZ about EU letting you re-sell your digital purchase, that's the best argument I've heard. I had to look that up. I have not clue how they are going to do it. I don't think it will happen. I guess you'd have to give them some authorization code that the Xbox live Marketplace would accept? Sounds like it would be hard for gamefly and gamestop to sell those. If there was a used market like that, probably Microsoft would rather own the website to resell it. Also people would never buy a new game if they could buy it digitally used.

As far as crap games, I wasn't referring to COD. Games like COD, Halo, and Bioshock with a big fan following will still do well the first month. Brand new or creative games by new developers won't happen because there is too much risk. When they release COD the publisher knows it's going to sell a ton, so they can invest a ton. Same thing with movies, there's nothing a original, all sequels to make money. Spiderman, Batman... Yeah they're ok, but very predictable and unoriginal.

As for xbox 720, I was using that because it's the beta name. I actually suggested Xbox inifinity because they can take the 8 in the windows 8 logo and lay it flat. I originated that on another board.

I refuse to argue the all digital / an xbox with no optical drive argument anymore. Mark it down 3 years or less from the release, it will happen. Remember this message post. Or put a sticky countdown somewhere.

Skillet
07-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Not. Happening.