PDA

View Full Version : how is this gonna differ to past entries

demonizer_andy
07-13-2012, 03:25 PM
hi guys, sorry to say iv never been a halo fan, dont mind running through in co op but thought its probably one of the most over-rated franchises iv ever played. now before i get flamed this is my personal opinion, i know the series is huge and its fanbase even bigger, my biggest hang up i think its just a generic shooter it doesnt really do anything special in my eyes, and the multiplayer just rages me the way you shoot someone for 10 minutes and they turn round shoot you once and you die, halo jumping n all that i just think is so dated to the likes of duke nukem etc, again i know this is what makes halo to its fans and i appreciate that...

but back on topic is this gonna be just another halo game with a different story but with the same mechanics, or is the engine being changed, gameplay being changed etc, i really aint read much into it, all i heard was its going to attract new fans aswell as please the older fans which its always going to do anyways, but anyhow maybe you guys can put things into perspective as i would like to climb on board and like these games but it just needs to feel different from all the previous entries to me

anorexicwes
07-13-2012, 07:24 PM
lolwut? too much lol

Ty-Rex
07-13-2012, 07:55 PM
my biggest hang up i think its just a generic shooter it doesnt really do anything special in my eyes
I wanted to look at your gamercard and see what games you play so that I could see what you think isn't generic, but you have it set to private.

and the multiplayer just rages me the way you shoot someone for 10 minutes and they turn round shoot you once and you die
Then you are objectively bad at the game. It's your fault, not the game.

halo jumping n all that i just think is so dated to the likes of duke nukem etc, again i know this is what makes halo to its fans and i appreciate that..
You get that the things you dislike are what make the game to it's fans, so it really seems like your only option is to just not play the games.

Halo 4 may be different, but you can rest assured, it's still going to have crouch jumping and shields and all the other things you dislike about the game.

DJConnelly
07-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Halo 4 may be different, but you can rest assured, it's still going to have crouch jumping and shields and all the other things you dislike about the game.

That's insane. I think all the spartans should have surgically altered legs so they cannot crouch jump. And get rid of shields. Who needs them?
Halo is Halo. Just like CoD is CoD. What do you think they're gonna change so drastically? Maybe have some killstreaks lol. All multiplayers make people rage now and again. That's just the online experience. They may update the graphics, possibly could look at fleshing out characters more in single player. I can't think of any shooter based franchise that brings really interesting new stuff to the field every game. And If someone turns around and shoots you once and you die, it's a power weapon or you had low health. Are you suprised? Also, what did you mean about being dated to the likes of Duke Nukem?

XoNiNjAlEoNoX
07-13-2012, 08:49 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/154/912/berneydidnotread.gif?1318992465

RBmaster9345
07-14-2012, 03:52 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/154/912/berneydidnotread.gif?1318992465

This ^. Big troll is big

I never understand a Cod fanboy or a Halo fan coming on to the opposite game's page and trashing it for what sets them both apart. Dont understand

yourbreakfast99
07-14-2012, 04:27 PM
This ^. Big troll is big

I never understand a Cod fanboy or a Halo fan coming on to the opposite game's page and trashing it for what sets them both apart. Dont understand

He wasn't exactly trashing it and i am just getting into halo now. I got ODST a while ago but was never moved to play it until now

demonizer_andy
07-14-2012, 05:28 PM
wow thanks for all the replies they helped so much, in fact the only one who got where i was comin from was breakfast :/

and to the comment bout me being bad at the game, nah not at all had a fairly decent k/d ratio if im honest, and again i wasnt bashing it, majority of halo fans bashed ODST but to me i thought that was the best one iv played if im honest n you can change enough of a game to either ruin it or improve it, for example rainbow 6 vegas to vegas 2 a lot of fans from the first game hated on it because of the sprint button, i still enjoyed the game but i enjoyed it more when there was no sprint, battlefield 3 is a great game but the new CQ maps are not fitting and make it shitty as its trying to be COD. modern warfare 3 became a noob fest when they decided the game was gonna be built around camping so yeah things can change for better or worse

A Blown Penguin
07-15-2012, 10:59 PM
I have never played Halo but it seems fun. does it just take time to get used to?

HaloTitan
08-21-2012, 12:51 AM
hi guys, sorry to say iv never been a halo fan, dont mind running through in co op but thought its probably one of the most over-rated franchises iv ever played.

I think you must be confused with the modern shooter genre. Call of Duty and its band of followers are overrated games because they're all exactly the same. You must also have never owned an original xbox or else you would know what Halo has done for console gaming. It may not be the best franchise out there but the hype that surrounds it is well earned, not overrated.

my biggest hang up i think its just a generic shooter

Generic? Do you even know what that means? All shooters can be considered generic because they all involve the exact same thing. Point and freaking shoot. What's generic is games that have throw away plots as space fillers to compliment their medicore multiplayer, which looks almost like ten other multiplayers currently on the market. Bland, boring, and created for the feeble minded zombies that dont't know what great games are.

i just think is so dated to the likes of duke nukem.

I'm pretty sure that franchise is at least ten years older than Halo.

is this gonna be just another halo game with a different story but with the same mechanics, or is the engine being changed, gameplay being changed etc

Another halo game with the same mechanics. But tell me how any other popular franchise is any different? Even Bioshock is sticking to familiar mechanics despite a completely new enviornment. Why change it when the fans love it?

aswell as please the older fans which its always going to do anyways

I'm older fan of Halo, have been since Halo 1 first hit shelves, and I can tell you that just because I've been a fan that long, doesn't mean I'm going to automatically like whatever game is put out as long as "Halo" is in the title. ODST is terrible and Reach is mediocre at best.

i would like to climb on board and like these games but it just needs to feel different from all the previous entries to me

It won't. It will feel like the Halo we all know and love because that is what defines it to the fans. Every game has a certain feel and it seems that Halo just won't ever be for you. I'm assuming that you're a Call of Duty fan, do you think they should change their franchise so people will like it? No, and they never will because people flock to it as much if not more than they do for Halo. Should I be upset that they constantly release the same exact game year after year with a different throw away story? Probably, but you don't see me over at the Black Ops 2 forum asking if the game will be different so I can like it, even though I'll probably play it regardless.

I mak3 big boom
08-21-2012, 01:56 AM
Play team SWAT /Thread?

xXmyxxmastaXx
08-21-2012, 06:30 AM
http://i.imgur.com/tHw0b.gif
although i'm getting blops 2 alot of my time is going to halo 4.

fax5jrj
08-21-2012, 04:45 PM
majority of halo fans bashed ODST but to me i thought that was the best one iv played if im honest n you can change enough of a game to either ruin it or improve it

I do agree about ODST. One of the best Halo campaigns IMO. The reason people didn't like it was because it was a follow-up to Halo 3, the most complete game on xbox at the moment, and they just didn't have the amount of content expected from a Halo game. I still love ODST though.

And btw, opinions aside, if you think Halo's generic then you must be high. Every single Halo game has revolutionized the genre (except Reach, and ODST. However, that was the first FUN horde mode I've played. Looking at you GOW2) and should be praised. CODnerds just don't seem to get that without Halo, they wouldn't have their precious COD.

I have never played Halo but it seems fun. does it just take time to get used to?

In order to really like Halo, I recommend getting some friends that like it, and get some good maps. It does take some time to get used to, but once you do it'll be really fun.

niko da bos
08-21-2012, 05:27 PM
I think you must be confused with the modern shooter genre. Call of Duty and its band of followers are overrated games because they're all exactly the same. You must also have never owned an original xbox or else you would know what Halo has done for console gaming. It may not be the best franchise out there but the hype that surrounds it is well earned, not overrated.

I'm older fan of Halo, have been since Halo 1 first hit shelves, and I can tell you that just because I've been a fan that long, doesn't mean I'm going to automatically like whatever game is put out as long as "Halo" is in the title. ODST is terrible and Reach is mediocre at best.

i think a lot of the COD fanboys seem to forget halo CE pretty much put consoles on the market for FPS. before that it was all about PC, i agree that the hype around the series is well earned, not overrated. when you think about halo (back when bungie was around), we had one of the best games + communities and developers. everything was well maintained, banhammer was enforced on the regular, free stat tracking + doubleXP weekends with grifball:o.

although i do play both games, i prefer halo over call of duty anyday. each game has its strength and weakness. for me call of duty stopped making good games a while ago, and sadly the MP from those games are now infested by hackers. i agree with most everything halotitan said, unfortunately i did not really enjoy reach but i am reserving judgement for halo4.

In order to really like Halo, I recommend getting some friends that like it, and get some good maps. It does take some time to get used to, but once you do it'll be really fun.

exactly, same as any MP i would imagine. its always more fun with buddies, lots of random things can happen and of course you're more likely to win with a good team. to me halo is 100X more fun than COD with friends, the most teammwork that involves is like watching your friends ass while he camps for a predator. thats one thing i always enjoyed more about Halo, we have actual teammwork with callouts / map control.

OT : i think Gheuh2 said it well, if what bothered you about the MP was shields and jumping then its safe to say halo4 wont be for you lol.

HaloTitan
08-21-2012, 11:16 PM
i think a lot of the COD fanboys seem to forget halo CE pretty much put consoles on the market for FPS. before that it was all about PC, i agree that the hype around the series is well earned, not overrated. when you think about halo (back when bungie was around), we had one of the best games + communities and developers. everything was well maintained, banhammer was enforced on the regular, free stat tracking + doubleXP weekends with grifball:o.

although i do play both games, i prefer halo over call of duty anyday. each game has its strength and weakness. for me call of duty stopped making good games a while ago, and sadly the MP from those games are now infested by hackers. i agree with most everything halotitan said, unfortunately i did not really enjoy reach but i am reserving judgement for halo4.

I wasn't really trying to burn COD because even though they never have good stories, I still enjoy the suspensful, heart pounding action that the campaign provides. I never got into the MP. I just didnt understand how anyone could think Halo is a generic shooter when most FPS games are oversaturated with COD elements. Halo is at least unique. I don't think I've played a different game and said "this feels like Halo", but I have said that many a time about COD. If anyone is going to judge Halo, they need to play the original trilogy, although they won't share the love I have for it because at the time it came out it was something we all could get together and do. It gave us a reason to hang out. Check out my blog, I actually wrote a big story about the original Halo.

DEG23
08-22-2012, 12:32 AM
I just didnt understand how anyone could think Halo is a generic shooter when most FPS games are oversaturated with COD elements.

What defines a 'generic' shooter.:confused:

OP: You are asking us to look into the future and tell you everything about this game. Why not wait until it releases then read reviews, talk to friends or watch gameplay footage for yourself.

Also considering you have never been a halo fan, you consider the franchise to be overrated, you call this a 'generic' shooter and you rage over the shooting mechanics, i'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess Halo 4 will not be the game for you.;)

niko da bos
08-22-2012, 04:52 PM
I wasn't really trying to burn COD because even though they never have good stories, I still enjoy the suspensful, heart pounding action that the campaign provides. I never got into the MP. I just didnt understand how anyone could think Halo is a generic shooter when most FPS games are oversaturated with COD elements. Halo is at least unique. I don't think I've played a different game and said "this feels like Halo", but I have said that many a time about COD. If anyone is going to judge Halo, they need to play the original trilogy, although they won't share the love I have for it because at the time it came out it was something we all could get together and do. It gave us a reason to hang out. Check out my blog, I actually wrote a big story about the original Halo.

i actually did browse your page, left a comment on your 'best man' speech:). some good stuff in there, i had to stop reading at the mass effect DLC though because i have yet to try the new ending DLC they made. i was fairly depressed after beating ME3 and im still on a break:(.

What defines a 'generic' shooter.:confused:

Also considering you have never been a halo fan, you consider the franchise to be overrated, you call this a 'generic' shooter and you rage over the shooting mechanics, i'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess Halo 4 will not be the game for you.;)

In my opinion a 'generic' shooter would just be the typical FPS being released every couple months. almost all of them are identical, like titan mentioned you can play A LOT of those and get the "kind of plays like cod" feel. however, not too many FPS you play have you thinking it feels like halo.

one thing i always loved about halo, going back on halo3 recently and i realized this. I enjoy the entire game, there are so many ways to have fun. the campaign has always been great in my opinion, the multiplayer is a blast with friends (especially BTB), you can always hop in a custom games lobby, create / edit your own maps in forge, or record everything you just did and clip it in the theater. halo2-3 in high school with all my buddies was probably the best gaming time for me ever:)

HaloTitan
08-24-2012, 02:59 PM
i actually did browse your page, left a comment on your 'best man' speech:). some good stuff in there, i had to stop reading at the mass effect DLC though because i have yet to try the new ending DLC they made. i was fairly depressed after beating ME3 and im still on a break:(.

Haha thanks. I have an area on the left hand side that shows my older posts and you can find my halo articles there. I think you will like the dlc for Mass Effect.