PDA

View Full Version : Are people that dumb?

cjdavies
07-13-2012, 09:28 PM
I just had a message from a friend on Xbox, saying go this site (I ain't listing the site) for free MS Points, I went to the site (i'm dumb too lol) but didn't do it as it's an exploit rather than legit free.

I ain't going to do this for the main reason I don't want to get banned. People who do these things wonder why they get banned in the first place.

Rep
07-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Banned? More like their accounts get stolen/hacked.

Capn Doug
07-13-2012, 09:39 PM
I didn't even need to read the story to say yes. And they don't need that many people. Just a few get suckered in and they make it worthwhile for the scammers.

Renedald
07-13-2012, 09:39 PM
1) Yes, people are this stupid...

2) Rep is right, stolen/hacked.

Tsaako
07-13-2012, 10:00 PM
1) Yes, people are this stupid...

2) Rep is right, stolen/hacked.

Pretty much this, just ignore them and don't go to their sites.

mrj3d
07-14-2012, 12:17 AM
All it takes is one or two people to fall for it.

CaRu
07-14-2012, 12:29 AM
Some people, unlike yourself, are actually dumb enough to fall for this thinking 'Yes! I need some Microsoft Points so I can get that new game off Games on Demand!' and when they think they get them, boom there goes your account.

Gamerdude5448
07-14-2012, 12:42 AM
I am assuming your friend got hacked by the people who own that website and they promote it through messages. The only legit site that gives free MS (semi-free MS) is rewards.xbox.com. That site is promoted by Xbox and isn't completely over the top like most free MS sites.

EDIT: I just realized my comment made me look like a spam bot :p

Gackt
07-14-2012, 12:46 AM
I am assuming your friend got hacked by the people who own that website and they promote it through messages. The only legit site that gives free MS (semi-free MS) is rewards.xbox.com. That site is promoted by Xbox and isn't completely over the top like most free MS sites.

You get phished through those places, not hacked :)

Gamerdude5448
07-14-2012, 12:48 AM
You get phished through those places, not hacked :)

You can get hacked though. If it asks you to connect your account then most often you could get hacked.

Gackt
07-14-2012, 12:50 AM
You can get hacked though. If it asks you to connect your account then most often you could get hacked.

No, people just like to throw that term around when they don't know what it means. You can lose your account through websites like this, because they look legit, so people carelessly input their information...which is then used to steal the account.

DeepInfern0
07-14-2012, 12:57 AM
People who get their accounts stolen because of an idiotic attempt to get free MS points deserve it. They're breaking the rules and they shouldn't do so.

Gamerdude5448
07-14-2012, 12:59 AM
No, people just like to throw that term around when they don't know what it means. You can lose your account through websites like this, because they look legit, so people carelessly input their information...which is then used to steal the account.

Exactly, that's what I meant. It could be called hacking, for the lack of a better word.

FatalDeathSG45
07-14-2012, 01:44 AM
Rule of thumb: If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.

Hacking, scamming, phishing, whatever you want to call it, don't fall for those free MS point sites. And if you do fall for them, it's your own damn fault.

If you want points, buy them yourself. That way, you KNOW they're legit.
---------------------
"War does not determine who is right... only who is left."

EmporerDragon
07-14-2012, 03:55 AM
I didn't even need to read the story to say yes.

Same here. I have cultivated very little faith in humanity after working nearly a decade in retail.

Exactly, that's what I meant. It could be called hacking, for the lack of a better word.

Except there is a better, accurate word: Phishing.

yourbreakfast99
07-14-2012, 03:57 AM
some people are dumb. I always got spammed with those and now i use app trailers and junowallet which work but they take a while to earn enough money

DragonsGoMOO
07-14-2012, 03:59 AM
It's called doing research before choosing something.

Junkdewd
07-14-2012, 04:04 AM
I just had a message from a friend on Xbox, saying go this site

You should report him, then block/delete his stupid ass.

Junkdewd
07-14-2012, 04:07 AM
The only legit site that gives free MS (semi-free MS) is rewards.xbox.com. That site is promoted by Xbox and isn't completely over the top like most free MS sites.

Don't forget Bing rewards. Any moron can get a hundred or more MSPs a month, if they are supported in your country, by doing little.

ChickinOnaChain
07-14-2012, 04:12 AM
If I can't afford to buy my own points, it's time to stop worrying about getting them and do without. I don't care if my mom went to some site and got points...I'm not going there. Let others do it. I'll buy mine.

I H8ME I Santos
07-14-2012, 04:31 AM
I have gotten about 10 of these from random players I have recently played with. I just go and block communication. I guess people are dumb sometimes.

hydrosugar
07-14-2012, 05:12 AM
If people weren't that dumb these things wouldn't exist.

Kairi
07-14-2012, 05:28 AM
People really are that dumb. I've gotten a few of those before but they are obviously scams. I even had one where someone believed that if you sent a message just saying "1600 microsoft points" to everyone on your friend's list, Microsoft would automatically give you the points XD If people really want points and are stupid enough, they will believe anything.

I mak3 big boom
07-14-2012, 05:57 AM
The only people dumb enough to do this are confused children

EmporerDragon
07-14-2012, 06:14 AM
The only people dumb enough to do this are confused children

No, you'd be unpleasantly surprised at the ages of who falls for these.

Capn Doug
07-14-2012, 06:45 AM
No, you'd be unpleasantly surprised at the ages of who falls for these.

True enough. I got phished when I was 19 or 20 (using the "please update your info by clicking here" sort of scam on eBay, not the "You win! Give us your info so we can give you your prize" scam). Of course, that was nearly a decade ago, so there wasn't the multitude of information out there about how to avoid getting scammed. The longer a scam like this has been around (and the longer you've been online), the more likely you are to realize it is a scam on sight.

Then again, I was also the person that was able to track the scammer down, provide the proof needed to get him arrested and thrown in jail, so I guess it balances out. I like to think that his butthole is a little looser because of me.

pickon
07-14-2012, 07:06 AM
Maby you lose your account through websites like this, because they look legit, so people carelessly input their information...which is then used to steal the account. or they send a rubbish message :woop:

Moryii
07-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Sadly it's not just confused children. My friend who is 21 did the same thing, I got a message from him/it last night ._.

CHIRUNO99
07-14-2012, 07:53 AM
I got one of these from someone, I keyed in my E-mail address and left my password blank, the guy who was using this phishing scam actually told me what I did. It was hilarious.

I eventually just left him to his own devices, after he started calling me every name under the sun.

cjdavies
07-14-2012, 07:54 AM
The only legit site that gives free MS (semi-free MS) is rewards.xbox.com. That site is promoted by Xbox and isn't completely over the top like most free MS sites.

That is the only one I use and will ever use.

True enough. I got phished when I was 19 or 20 (using the "please update your info by clicking here" sort of scam on eBay, not the "You win! Give us your info so we can give you your prize" scam). Of course, that was nearly a decade ago, so there wasn't the multitude of information out there about how to avoid getting scammed. The longer a scam like this has been around (and the longer you've been online), the more likely you are to realize it is a scam on sight.

I almost fell this years back, received an Email from Paypal to verify my details, I clicked on link, filled in the form, and then I got suspicious when it wanted my card pin number. I looked into it further and found it was a scam known as phishing.

Darktower
07-14-2012, 12:40 PM
There will always be suckers to fall for crap like that

FFFreak1129
07-16-2012, 03:42 AM
Thats funny I recently got a message like this from some unknown person not on my friends list. I'm kind of surprised people are still falling for these kinds of scams.

Thee Elf
07-16-2012, 04:11 AM
What misleads people so often is when they get the message from a friend that they know in real life. I mean why would your friend set you up?!? That's the biggest thing people overlook and not knowing that their friend was hacked.

Didi Mau
07-16-2012, 08:22 AM
I've got two friends I talk to often (both from here) who often message me a link to "playfire.com", but that's all the message is and they'd never link it without explaining the purpose of the site and stuff like that. I'd assume they've been hacked but I still play with one of them often and their tag seems fine, maybe I should warn them.

Erxor
07-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Banned? More like their accounts get stolen/hacked.

I agree. Even just 1 person would probably make the whole scam worth it as well.

Rapture639
08-02-2012, 06:48 AM
Are people that stupid?

Generally speaking, yes.

As far as the original topic, it must work on some people if they still find a reason to keep trying it.

warrenpaul
08-02-2012, 09:30 AM
I cant believe people fall for it lol

rsr1264782
08-02-2012, 10:09 AM
I think it's hilarious. I use to get messages all the time from people telling me to go to a link or whatever for free points.

That reminds me of when people would spam everyone with FREEMSP or something similar with the Microsoft Point symbol because they thought it would get them free points....