PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Who here is buying this over Skate?

h1gh3r_l1m1ts
09-05-2007, 12:20 AM
As for me, I'm getting THPG but will rent Skate just to see what EA has made. After playing the SKate demo, I didn't like the controls. Once you bail, you respawn in the exact position after bailing which in some cases it's frustrating to reposition your character. It could just be me but I don't really see myselft buying Skate. As for THPG, I wasn't that big of a fan but I can see myself playing it a lot more than skate.

What do you guys think?

XxLUC41xX
09-05-2007, 12:31 AM
ill pick up both copies b/c i like skating games but havent played in a while

nightmare975
09-05-2007, 12:49 AM
I'm picking up THPG. I wasn't too happy with skate.'s controls.

Ghost x360a
09-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Well I wasnt really to impressed with SKATE. It was an amazing demo but I feels like it can get old quick. As for TH, the series is getting a little old and I dont really see anything new in Proving Ground.

Anti HERO 574
09-05-2007, 01:03 AM
I'm getting both...

though I hope THPG is improved...after playing skate I popped in THP8 and it pretty gay after playing Skate.

Conker Rules All
09-05-2007, 01:08 AM
im buying both but will probably enjoy tony hawk's better because of the fun instead of the reality

Birky
09-05-2007, 02:21 AM
Going to be buying both... Love skating boarding games!! Its a good thing to do in the winter when I can't actually skate:(

Zef
09-05-2007, 02:25 AM
I probably won't get either, but if I did I'd rather get Proving Grounds than that EA bollocks. It's gaming poison.

DoM cAbAn
09-05-2007, 02:28 AM
I'm definately buying Proving Ground, and I doubt I'll even bother renting SKATE. I really didn't like the controls. I'd rather play a "fake" skateboarding game than a "realistic" one, as I can have a lot more fun with it. :)

JJBDude
09-05-2007, 11:14 AM
I will buy both, but I am 90% certain that Proving Ground is going to be the game collecting dust on the back of my shelf due to the amazingly awesome realism that skate. will provide.

MangeM
09-05-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm buying both.
As I see it they will complete each other, if I want a more sim-like experience I'll pop skate in and if I just want to do insane lines and crazy challenges I'll boot up proving grounds.

F4T B0I
09-05-2007, 04:43 PM
I personally enjoy both games. Although i think SKATE is a better more enjoyable game.

h1gh3r_l1m1ts
09-05-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't see how SKate can be more enjoyable. Doing tricks here and there are frustrating. You sometimes perform some tricks and have no idea how you did it. When you want to do a certain trick, another tricks is performed instead. The bailing part for me was a huge factor because I like to be repositioned in the correct path. Also what's the deal with not being able to get off your board?

F4T B0I
09-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Ye the bailing and getting of board are annoying. But also When you bail you would get up where you fell so maybe its more realistic?

h1gh3r_l1m1ts
09-05-2007, 08:27 PM
It's a problem for being too realistic but come on, it's ridiculous when you bail. I guess I have to learn not to bail otherwise, I wouldn't be complaning too much.

JJBDude
09-05-2007, 10:33 PM
I don't see how SKate can be more enjoyable. Doing tricks here and there are frustrating. You sometimes perform some tricks and have no idea how you did it. When you want to do a certain trick, another tricks is performed instead. The bailing part for me was a huge factor because I like to be repositioned in the correct path. Also what's the deal with not being able to get off your board?

Practise practise practise. It'll come to a point where you are able to do nice tricks everytime, like I can do Kickflips into FS Boardslides everytime, that's quite basic but it's a start (considering the game isn't even out yet!) Also today I learnt to do BS Bigspin Flips consistantly off the floor, very rewarding. :)

h1gh3r_l1m1ts
09-07-2007, 06:28 PM
I don't know If I'll even play this now. I just got stranglehold and medal of honor. Haven't played them yet but If there's time for Skate then I'll play it. As of now It's not on my list. We'll see though. Tony Hawk at least comes on in October which I should be done with the current games I have.

conor bp
09-09-2007, 08:59 AM
i voted for thpg but if it ends up like thp8 i wont be buyin any since i dint like skate

sorryIHaveAIDS
09-11-2007, 03:00 AM
Has anyone notice that all the tony hawk game takes no skills. Lets 360 flip triple backflip down 5 stories.

Sorry but that is just not entertaining anymore since i played the skate demo. As an old skateboarder you skate the same spot about 20 times. First you ollie it, then when you get better you do advance tricks (kickflip, tre flip)

It took me 30 mins to figure out how to do a hardflip in skate. 10 secs in Tony Hawk. Im sorry but I like to work hard to do an advance trick down a tricky set. Not press A then UP X.

Thats my two cents as a real skateboarder always wanting a semi-real skateboarding game.

Bodangles
09-11-2007, 03:34 AM
I'm definately buying Proving Ground, and I doubt I'll even bother renting SKATE. I really didn't like the controls. I'd rather play a "fake" skateboarding game than a "realistic" one, as I can have a lot more fun with it. :)

that is pretty much exactly how i feel. i understand "true skaters" want a realistic video game but for most of us, (i think), doing 900s and being shot 50 feet in the air is more appealing. for me it is :-P.

Conker Rules All
09-11-2007, 04:32 AM
i probably will be buying them both but will like the skate controls and overall love the tony hawk game but still waiting on other games like amped 4

TOXICtheWORLD
09-11-2007, 06:15 AM
Just check out the demo's

h1gh3r_l1m1ts
09-11-2007, 09:40 PM
I like checking out demo's but getting the achievements make the games more fun for me now. I'll check both out but I'm not going to base my entire decision on the demo.

DropDeadArtemus
09-12-2007, 01:38 PM
i will definitely get both but skate. is goin to blow THPG out of the water IMO.

*EDIT*- Retract that statement. I take back any nice comments i ever had about the game. been playing it and two words come to mind; UTTER GARBAGE

UNDERWALLY
09-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Tony Hawks is great, and u can do a lot of things, fro what i have seen in sKATE, U ONLY CAN PARTICIPATE IN XGAMES and take pictures, and i love Tony hawks games

killlah631
10-03-2007, 12:10 PM
I've always been a major Tony Hawk fan and I will be purchasing this the day it drops...I did not get skate..no particular reason why I just didn't get around to it, and I have a friend who bought it and is going to let me borrow to get the 1000 points on it anyway...but Tony Hawk FTW

oneandonlytommo
10-03-2007, 02:52 PM
il just get skate and tony hawks: pg both for christmas these 2 games will have to wait there are to many games i want coming out over the next few months. :(

Mr. Writer
10-07-2007, 10:04 PM
I for one am getting both, skateboarding is skateboarding, i love it

xENVxGAMERSKREW
10-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Im mostlikely renting skate and buying tony hawk been a fan since the first installment

MEGAJAMZ
10-11-2007, 01:31 AM
tony hawks for me stopped being good after thps2
project 8 was awful
and the demo for proving ground brought back the awful memories of its predecessor
however skate was different and thus i picked that up
its alot more fun than tony hawks and doesnt feel the need to make you grind an entire rollercoaster to do so hahx.

Spades12321
10-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Im getting TH, I played the SKATE demo for about an hour and I have never been more bored in my life, I have to say it was one of the worst games I have played IMO.

AKK316
10-14-2007, 10:05 AM
TH for sure, the original and the best.

Mustkill9
10-15-2007, 10:49 PM
I thought Tony Hawk's Project 8 was one of the best video games of all time. I can't wait to play a fresh version of Tony Hawk.

thagame
10-17-2007, 01:13 AM
I rented skate and i would have bought it but the supposed "realism" ragdoll physics totally changed my mind. I know thpg is the same but its not bragging that its as real as actually skating.

Seankichu
10-19-2007, 09:03 AM
I've played and enjoyed Tony for every installment up till now and when I played Skate I was floored. I hadn't realised how all that over-the-top Tony stuff had gotten boring over the years, it's just silly now.

Skate just feels right, any game that takes a sport and makes you feel like you've achieved something by just doing the smallest of manoeuvres (like real thing) has done its job correctly. An ollie onto a curb is more fun in Skate than cracking a 1 mil point combo on a trex anyday.

G4M3RC0P
10-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Definitely Tony Hawk over Skate. I don't like realism in skateboarding games. I want to be able to jump over buildings and do tricks that no one can do in real life. Playing the Skate demo, it seemed like everything was too complex to make fun.

Collymilad
10-26-2007, 05:08 PM
I have both and I have to say at the moment im leaning towards skate being better.

Totally agree with you Seankichu (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=9172) - every small trick you manage to pull off in skate feels great.

Yes, it's harder and the stick control can be horrible at times when it requires so much precision. But get used to it and it's one of the sweetest games you'll ever play.

I dunno I still have a soft spot for TH but it just seems a bit of an empty experience now after wrestling with skate and finally getting the hang of it.

ChinoBlingo
10-27-2007, 07:49 PM
As for me, I'm getting THPG but will rent Skate just to see what EA has made. After playing the SKate demo, I didn't like the controls. Once you bail, you respawn in the exact position after bailing which in some cases it's frustrating to reposition your character. It could just be me but I don't really see myselft buying Skate. As for THPG, I wasn't that big of a fan but I can see myself playing it a lot more than skate.

What do you guys think?

as for me i bought skate wen it came out and i bought this wen it came out both different styles of skating games no competition between either one

Perxxxxx
10-28-2007, 02:16 PM
im probably gonna get both , i like the look of both of em and its hard to choose so ive just gotta see how the cash goes

KRIS DETH
11-04-2007, 01:33 AM
I Have Got Both, But I Am A Big Fan Of TH Games.

The Problem With Skate. Is The Controls Are Really Hard :(

TH :) TH :)
Skate. :|

Tron
11-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Tony Hawk is way better than Skate, Tony Hawk has been the best since the U R NOT E days ENOS Lives FTW

Crash
11-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Tony Hawk is way better than Skate, Tony Hawk has been the best since the U R NOT E days ENOS Lives FTW

Way to go Tron going around spamming like a Bandicoot... although your message does remind me why I chose my gamertag

porchmonk3y0000
11-07-2007, 07:08 PM
worst tony hawk game i ever played i'm returning it to Gamestop and will probably get Lego star wars the complete saga. playing through that again will be more enjoyable then this crap

killlah631
11-07-2007, 10:36 PM
I bought this and I like it better than skate. I have always been Tony Hawk fan, and I don't see too much of a difference between this and Project 8. It is a decent game, and I enjoy playing it.

halo3freak
11-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Hey man tony hawk did get boring after underground 2 yer its kool at first but then itgets boring

Sphere Shot
11-25-2007, 12:07 AM
I've bought both and I like Tony Hawk WAY better than skate. Skate just gets old and TH has tons of replayabilty.

ClutchPapi34
11-26-2007, 01:39 AM
I am not going to buy either. The SKATE demo was fun but it got old pretty quickly. As for Tony Hawk, i burnt out on those games back in my PS2 days.

stueo
11-27-2007, 01:32 AM
Played the skate demo, thought it was pretty poor not really exciting. people say its realistic but if i wanted realism i would go out on a skateboard. Played all the tony hawk games since thps2. thp8 is the best to date imo, i feel that this takes a bit of getting used to wit the change of camera but its still pretty good.

antnie
11-27-2007, 01:34 AM
I bought both games. I would choose SKATE to be the best skateboparding game. Tony hawks proving ground seemed to me be the same consept that tony hawks project 8 used.

Alex56
12-29-2007, 11:23 PM
i got thpg because i like the fun factor of it over the realism of skate

JBURNICLE
01-09-2008, 05:04 PM
I picked TH:PG i just prefer the controls of it over Skate. for some reason?

xGodDogx
01-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Right now i got skate and love the game. But im proabbly going out to buy Tony Hawk in a couple of days or so.

CriscoDisco878
01-15-2008, 02:57 AM
i got this game. i love it. sakte not so much traded it in already

Bondfan626
01-30-2008, 07:37 PM
i just got this form a friend for half the price it is on shelves and im loving it. i didnt like skates demo much.

Tubson57
01-30-2008, 07:42 PM
I think im gonna pick up both of these games. Im into the skating games, and have heard some good reviews from my friends.
________
Honda CBR400 specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CBR400)

phobzy85
02-12-2008, 08:42 AM
I got this and love it. For me it's on par with project 8. My favourite all timer is PS4. I tried the skate demo and didn't like it so I bought proving grounds. I was a bit hesitant after playing the PG demo (what a let down) but finally realised how could any tony hawks game be bad. After a while it's become my favourite game i'm just hoping there's a new hawks in the pipeline because i'm nearly done with this one :)

L1E
02-19-2008, 03:35 AM
Ever since I first played skate., I loved it! I liked the new controls, and just everything about it. I practiced it on the demo for a really long time until I got really good. Then I tried the Tony Hawk demo. It was terrible! Worse graphics, terrible physics, etc. I just thought skate was better in every form. I'm still renting Tony Hawk sometime (GameFly) just because I've been such a long time fan and I want to see if it improved since Project 8. Maybe I'll be surprised, but I doubt it.

superchimpo
03-30-2008, 01:11 PM
i got both but when playin typg it did a weird glitch and took off all achiements for it so now all i have to do is talk to one of the guys for chalenges and i get it

DreadfulCorpse
04-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Proving ground all the way, EA sucks!

phobzy85
04-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Proving ground all the way, EA sucks!

I hear ya!

Nick Is I
08-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Skate is so much better than this game. I'm just going through it for some achievements.

Off Topic -
Phobzy85: I noticed you said you were working on Overlord. If you don't have the online achievements, no one ever plays online so it would be very easy to boost. If you want to send me a PM or friend request.