PDA

View Full Version : X360 Load times are outrageous for me.

shangri la27
07-16-2012, 11:40 PM
I'm curious if anyones had this problem, and maybe knows a simple fix. It takes about 30 sec to 1 m to load dash, well over a minute to load quickplay or any other video apps (Just to get to the Play this App screen, not to load the actual app). And my game list seems to take just as long, if not longer. Here's a rundown of my situation:

My gameroom is kept cool (around 70 degrees), and the xbox is horizontal close to the floor in a large cabinet
my 250gb HDD is about 50% full. This wasnt a problem around 30-40%, but I seem to have crossed a threshold, after which it started running like a slug.
Disc loaded games seem to be fine.
model slim, year and one half old.

I think that covers it. Give me some knowledge guys!

CONKER1182
07-16-2012, 11:44 PM
It`s most likey got to do with having a lot of XBLA games and DLC downloaded.

ChickinOnaChain
07-16-2012, 11:45 PM
I'm not sure how long, time wise, it takes for my dash to load but it's sure not a minute. Less than 30 seconds for sure but whatever it is, I'm usually putting my headset on during that time.

shangri la27
07-16-2012, 11:47 PM

Yeah, this was my guess as well, but I'm trying to avoid it in case this isnt it. in which case i'd have a lot to re-dl.

And yeah, the dash one is tolerable, but waiting 1-2 minutes for quickplay or neflix to just load a sub menu is driving me crazy.

Power House Alv
07-17-2012, 03:21 AM
I've had similar problems with loading. My console usually takes anywhere from 30-1:30 to load up the dashboard. My old console (the 'big' one) usually booted up in around 15 seconds. I've downloaded much since then, so I imagine that downloadable content plays a role on your console booting quickly.

EDIT: I forgot to add, I have a slim console now.

Didi Mau
07-17-2012, 07:24 AM

I imagine it's this, I have similar issues and have about 70 arcade/installed games and 700+ RB songs in my HD. My Xbox isn't a Slim, however.

SilentStrike011
07-17-2012, 07:41 AM
I've had this issue since the update that filled the dashboard full of adverts.

DJConnelly
07-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Mines been taking slightly longer than usual. Only by a couple. I have installed a few games recently though. Or it could just be the ads.

EmporerDragon
07-17-2012, 08:57 AM

Same here. It seems to take a while to load anything but the ads.

WalterWhite
07-17-2012, 09:07 AM
I'm curious if anyones had this problem, and maybe knows a simple fix. It takes about 30 sec to 1 m to load dash, well over a minute to load quickplay or any other video apps (Just to get to the Play this App screen, not to load the actual app). And my game list seems to take just as long, if not longer. Here's a rundown of my situation:

My gameroom is kept cool (around 70 degrees), and the xbox is horizontal close to the floor in a large cabinet
my 250gb HDD is about 50% full. This wasnt a problem around 30-40%, but I seem to have crossed a threshold, after which it started running like a slug.
Disc loaded games seem to be fine.
model slim, year and one half old.

I think that covers it. Give me some knowledge guys!

I'm relieved to see someone post this as I have been having the exact same problems. It's getting to be unbearable, especially loading the apps. My girlfirend and I have it down to a science at this point, scrolling through each of the tabs and letting the ad in the bottom right hand corner load before we even click on Netflix or HBOGo and sometimes it still just endlessly loads and we have to back out and retry. Uhhh, it's annoying just typing about it.

I suspect it has to do with the ads, but I also wonder if being a part of the newest dashboard beta is somehow part of it for me. I'm really trying to understand what's going on and find a solution. I'm actually willing to buy a new console if I knew it would correct the problem. I also have the slim model (bought the day they released) and my hard drive is a little bit less than half full, sounds just like your situation.

weaselbelly
07-17-2012, 03:34 PM
I have this same problem. Totally obnoxious.

MrZombieChicken
07-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Same here. It takes a long time for my quick play menu to pop up and for stuff to launch in general. I have 270~ games installed on my 250Gb HD, but I don't think that's the reason. I've always had a lot of games on there and the slow down has been relatively recent. It must have something to do with the last dashboard update for "future enhancements".

THE DEADLY DOG
07-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Dang I've never heard of the load times taking so long. I'm grateful I don't have any of that.

bigbear2face
07-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Try clearing your cache.

If that doesn't work erase some stuff you never/rarely use off the hard drive.

Edit: I noticed the OP responded to my post about clearing cache in the "Installation" thread after starting this thread. Did it work?

sleepydumbdude
07-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Same here. It takes a long time for my quick play menu to pop up and for stuff to launch in general. I have 270~ games installed on my 250Gb HD, but I don't think that's the reason. I've always had a lot of games on there and the slow down has been relatively recent. It must have something to do with the last dashboard update for "future enhancements".

Same. Its actually the reason I stopped using my xbox as much. I thought it was just because I have over 200 games on the HD but went over to a friends and noticed his doing it also and he has less than 20. Tried clearing the cache and removing and reinserting the HD as I seen on xbox forums. It doesn't take a minute but sometimes between 15- 30 seconds.

mrj3d
07-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Seems to take a while for me too. Been like that since the dashboard update.

jules the great
07-17-2012, 08:38 PM
PS3 is the slowest of all tho. Seriously play any multiplatform game on both systems and see what I'm talking about. lol

MrZombieChicken
07-17-2012, 09:23 PM
What's odd is that there is almost zero wait time when I go into my game list. It displays all 270+ games within a few seconds. The quick play list on the other hand takes 20 seconds or so just to show the last 10 games played.

Banes
07-18-2012, 02:00 AM
I was having a loading issue with my last Xbox, but it was the black 120gig Elite console. I couldn't find a fix to all the loading problems it was having. Would take about 1-2 mins to load to the dash, and MW3 menus seemed to freeze up alot. I cleared the entire hard-drive. Did a cache wipe. Everything. I ended up just buying a new Xbox. I sold my slow working one to my friend (he didn't care about the issues), and he just bought a new hard-drive and the issues were gone.

Yannie Boy
07-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Add me to group of effected users. I have a Networked Media Server always on in my house and before the update I was able to boot the system and get to the Video Player app quickly, now it takes for ever. Boot System, wait...scroll to video, My Video Apps, wait, then finally able to get to the app. I was literally complaining about this the other night.

otaking live
07-18-2012, 04:48 PM
I was having a loading issue with my last Xbox, but it was the black 120gig Elite console. I couldn't find a fix to all the loading problems it was having. Would take about 1-2 mins to load to the dash, and MW3 menus seemed to freeze up alot. I cleared the entire hard-drive. Did a cache wipe. Everything. I ended up just buying a new Xbox. I sold my slow working one to my friend (he didn't care about the issues), and he just bought a new hard-drive and the issues were gone.

I have the same issues as well as the MW3 startup and menus lagging. Its seriously weird. Game play isn't effected (I think).

I find loading my friends list and achievements takes FOREVER.

shangri la27
07-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Try clearing your cache.

If that doesn't work erase some stuff you never/rarely use off the hard drive.

Edit: I noticed the OP responded to my post about clearing cache in the "Installation" thread after starting this thread. Did it work?

Wow, sorry I thought this thread Died. I did do this, and it seems to have made a difference, although not a remarkable difference.

On the ad theory, I'm running at 6 mb/s. I'm going to watch for the ad load times now to see if there's a correlation at all.

ChromiumDragon
07-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Thought I fixed the problem once I got my ISP issues straightened out. Wrong.

Went to play last night. Everything takes forever to load. Netflix took almost a full minute.

Ds90
07-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Phew, thought i was just being impatient. Gonna try delete a couple of things i dont need, dont know if it will help much but worth a try :)

MrZombieChicken
07-18-2012, 05:18 PM

Uh oh! That last few days I have been experiences freezing when playing online in Dungeon Fighters, NBA Jam OFE and Marvel vs Capcom 2.
Not a good sign.

WalterWhite
07-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Phew, thought i was just being impatient. Gonna try delete a couple of things i dont need, dont know if it will help much but worth a try :)

I disagree with people saying this is the source of the problem, I have 146GB free on my 250GB hard drive and regularly clear my cache and delete junk. Also I moved recently and my internet connection is faster than it used to be and my dashboard is as slow as it's ever been. I'm really starting to believe the console just needs to be replaced every year and a half or so for optimal performance.

adamrulz
07-18-2012, 07:22 PM
A few months ago, I had this issue...but mainly with the dashboard. Boot up would take about 1.5 minutes. 2 days ago, I turn on the system and within 25s it was all loaded up and signed in. Did NOTHING different...just decided to start working right again. Clueless right here.

Bookworm
07-18-2012, 07:25 PM
I have a strange load time problem. My first Fallout New Vegas disc cracked in near the center so to save my Xbox I had to get a new one. The strange thing is it works great but it loads slower than my old disc. I've been wondering why the load time is so different for the same game. :confused:

niko da bos
07-18-2012, 07:31 PM

truth

i swear its the damn ads they spam all over our dashboard. oh im sorry, its called the "home" now :confused:

seriously though, my opinion would be to check the harddrive, clean out unnecesary stuff or maybe even clear system cache? lol im not sure, but it has something to do with the memory i would think.

Rapture639
07-19-2012, 01:07 AM
Did you ever own a PSone? If you want to talk about ridiculous load times then that's the console to beat. I remember being able to cook up a hot pocket and make it back in time before the game was done loading.

shangri la27
07-19-2012, 04:51 AM
OP follow up: As I thought, the ad's have next to NO impact on the speed of the xbox. the ad's all load in under a second, with no real issues to speak of.

I'm going to do a manual clean-up tomorrow to see if that helps things at all. Clearing the cache did seem to make a small impact, but insignificant compared to the insane load times. Clean-up should go from 135 free to 110 or so hopefully, which is what it was not long ago when I was having no issues at all.

Honestly though, I'm under the impression that this "under the hood" system update is the real culprit, and those of us affected are just SOL...

ChromiumDragon
07-19-2012, 12:04 PM
OP follow up: As I thought, the ad's have next to NO impact on the speed of the xbox. the ad's all load in under a second, with no real issues to speak of.

I'm going to do a manual clean-up tomorrow to see if that helps things at all. Clearing the cache did seem to make a small impact, but insignificant compared to the insane load times. Clean-up should go from 135 free to 110 or so hopefully, which is what it was not long ago when I was having no issues at all.

Honestly though, I'm under the impression that this "under the hood" system update is the real culprit, and those of us affected are just SOL...

Here's a question: Is your HD the one that came with the Xbox, or did you add your own in? If you added your own, did you add the partition with the emulator for original X-Box games?

I've got one xbox with a drive that I added myself, and one with the original factory drive still in it. I've not been bothered to look and see if the other Xbox is affected by the slow load speeds or not. I'll report my findings once I get home.

davros1996
07-19-2012, 12:10 PM
My 360 does take a minute to log in and load the dash, but I'm having none of the other issues that you described. Hope you find the solution

shangri la27
07-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Here's a question: Is your HD the one that came with the Xbox, or did you add your own in? If you added your own, did you add the partition with the emulator for original X-Box games?.

Originally hard drive. Kinect Bundle 250g bought Jan 2011.

DragonessAthena
07-19-2012, 07:08 PM
I have no problems loading up the dashboard at the start, but Quickplay seems to take a good 30-40 seconds.

SuperJoon
07-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Netflix is the longest for me. 30 seconds probs. having no issues with dashboard etc. loads fine, haven't noticed any difference. Only when my Internet has a hissy fit is there anything noticeable.

Junkdewd
07-20-2012, 05:01 AM
This and lots of dlc and full hard drive. It has gotten SO much worse for me since the last update.

DecadentBeaver
07-20-2012, 10:47 AM
I have this issue only occassionaly. I have 40 games installed to my HDD, and 8 music cd's as well. I put iit down to a combination of that and my internet acting up. Might have to clear some space. Only 158GB left!

Killerchronic
07-20-2012, 02:05 PM
While i don't have these issues some of you re blaming the ads, if you really think they are the cause of the problem then block them completely. You will need to switch to OpenDNS as your DNS provider but they tend to be better than the ISP versions anyway and have alot more features besides just blocking the xbox ads:

http://kotaku.com/5866681/how-to-block-xbox-360s-newest-feature-dashboard-ads

KnucklesV6
07-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Try installing your games or maybe it is a XBL issue.

gary55k
11-28-2012, 01:21 AM
It takes a few good secs for mine to load up since the last update and some of the times it will just freeze on signing in hope the new update that was today fixed some of these bugs

Reidzer 1314
11-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Its a hit or a miss when my the dash loads up for me.

Sometimes it can load damn near instantly, other times it can take a good 20-30 seconds.

I know a lot of people who are the same so I think its a common problem.

TwitTheShred
01-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Has anyone found a fix for this? I just timed my Achievement List load time and it took 2 minutes 17 seconds, absolutely ridiculous!

Akuza
01-26-2013, 06:23 PM
the dashboard and stuff takes ages loading up anyway...

its not just you ;)

runswithscissors
01-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Mines started doing that recently, I think its time to delete some stuff, even though its nowhere near full so shoudn't have to really

Arsenic 17
02-25-2013, 05:47 AM
Mines started doing that recently, I think its time to delete some stuff, even though its nowhere near full so shoudn't have to really

Pretty sure I read somewhere this is related to the hard drive. If you put your profile on a USB stick and remove the harddrive, the xbox boots up right away. That is when you know you have the issue I can fix.

What you need to do is migrate all your saves you want over to a USB drive or another hard disk. The reformat your original hard drive and then transfer all your stuff back over. IF you havea lot of games downloaded and stuff you will need to redownload whatever you couldnt fit on your USB disk.

This works. My xbox took 2-3 minutes to load the dashboard. I took out my HDD and it boots right up. I used the option on Xbox Setting to reformat hard drive and now it is like new. Sucked redownloading all my stuff though. Like 100 GB I had. Not too much.

Maka
02-25-2013, 06:34 AM
After turning my console on, I typically have to wait 1-2 minutes to for the dashboard to finally load. That time seems outrageous to me, but I assume it's because I have a lot of content and a full friends list.

Otherwise though, games and whatnot load pretty quickly.

KillerBEA
02-25-2013, 06:35 AM
After turning my console on, I typically have to wait 1-2 minutes to for the dashboard to finally load. That time seems outrageous to me, but I assume it's because I have a lot of content and a full friends list.

Otherwise though, games and whatnot load pretty quickly.
I am the same way, its annoying but I got used to it.