PDA

View Full Version : This Gamestop: Highway robbery!

Cmpunk
07-18-2012, 01:24 AM
Wow. Idk if this deserves a thread or not but either way I recently visited a gamestop and thought to myself: Um?

Some I remember:

Mass Effect 2: 30$
Madden 09: 27$
FF 13: 25$
Fifa 2010: 29$
Death Smiles: 30$

Isn't there a system gamestop needs to follow? Prices seem rather pricey.. Opinions?

Banes
07-18-2012, 01:31 AM
Wow. Idk if this deserves a thread or not but either way I recently visited a gamestop and thought to myself: Um?

Some I remember:

Isn't there a system gamestop needs to follow? Prices seem rather pricey.. Opinions?

Wow what the hell? I picked up Madden 09 from the EB Games in my city like 4 months ago for $3.99... Those prices are absurd!

mrj3d
07-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Gamestop used games are pretty much always a rip-off. I've seen them sell newer used games only a few dollars less than buying it new.

You saw Madden 09 for $27? Oh man wtf?! I traded that one in to amazon a few months ago just to get rid of it and they gave me .75 cents. hahaha

Cmpunk
07-18-2012, 01:35 AM
Wow what the hell? I picked up Madden 09 from the EB Games in my city like 4 months ago for $3.99... Those prices are absurd!

I bought Madden 09 for 2$.. This is what scares me! My xbox live friend told me his gamestop sells Madden 09 for 32$.

xKRAIZEEMANx
07-18-2012, 01:39 AM
LOL, that is like Left 4 Dead 2....$40...used....

It is $30 brand new @ Wal-Mart, or $25 bucks used @ Best Buy.

Floorkiller
07-18-2012, 01:55 AM
There's a store here, Hastings, which can be pretty comical too. They'll have games that are 2-3 years old used to $44.99, while new copies sit right next to them for $19.99. I mean, they price em (probably been there since the game was farly new) and never touch them again...not a good way to sell them.

Madame Kennedy
07-18-2012, 02:19 AM
Gamestop can be quite a ripoff, and their Powerup rewards program is a tad stingy, even on Pro (though I use the free version, much to their chagrin).

I've been considering picking up FEAR 2 out of curiosity, but $10 for pre-owned seems...a bit steep for a game that old, especially when the huge tax here in NY gets piled on, so really I'd be paying almost $15. I still see Left 4 Dead 2 for $40 PRE-OWNED. How old is that game again? Even Red Dead is still pretty pricey. I've also noticed that they sometimes upsale one console more than another. Basically, I tend to see 360 games cheaper than their PS3 versions. That I just don't understand at all. Rather than feeling lucky, I just think it's unfair when considering all gamers. Gamestop really is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Once in awhile I'll get a decent deal from them (got a good deal on a sick headset last week that was marked down), but I still find myself picking through a haystack of poorly-priced games. If Best Buy improved their trade-in service and offered more value, I'd probably go to them. Or Amazon, if anything.

Kunduz
07-18-2012, 02:41 AM
Gamestop used games are pretty much always a rip-off.This, avoid it at all costs. You are guaranteed to find games cheaper elsewhere.

EmporerDragon
07-18-2012, 02:45 AM
This, avoid it at all costs. You are guaranteed to find games cheaper elsewhere.

And in better condition.

I prefer Amazon's Warehouse deals. They tend to be in like new condition and still come with everything (Manual, original case, etc.) and DLC/Club Nintendo redemption codes are typically unused. Also, they all qualify for super saver shipping.

Capn Doug
07-18-2012, 02:46 AM
I'm not normally one to complain that a game is over priced, since everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but I saw NFS: Most Wanted used for $40 on a recent visit. In the 7 years that the game has been around, it has only dropped $20? I actually had ask the guy behind the desk about that one.

ReaptheChaos
07-18-2012, 02:48 AM
Well don't shop there. I do most of my game buying on Amazon. Here's their prices on those:

Mass Effect 2:
$13.00 new
$8.00 used

Madden 09:
$8.50 new
$0.01 used

FF 13:
$12.00 new
$7.50 used

Fifa 2010:
$15.00 new
$7.00 used

Death Smiles:
$8.50 new
$8.50 used

Personally I have always thought gamestops prices were ridiculous. But as long as people buy from them they wont be changing. Their used games are a serious rip off as well, they will give you $15-$25 for a brand new game and turn around and sell it for $45-$50, or $2-$3 under the price of the new ones, and idiots will buy them!

defiance ohio
07-18-2012, 03:41 AM
and idiots will buy them!

Exactly. Why change the pricing if it still sells?

I have occasionally seen a $10 or under bin outside of some of the gamestops located in malls. Once and awhile you can get lucky with a decent title in those bins

The Rabbit Suit
07-18-2012, 03:51 AM
There's a store here, Hastings, which can be pretty comical too. They'll have games that are 2-3 years old used to $44.99, while new copies sit right next to them for $19.99. I mean, they price em (probably been there since the game was farly new) and never touch them again...not a good way to sell them.

GoHastings is pretty hit or miss. They have a lot of great deals and then they have a 59.99 Alan Wake game used along side the used CE for it for less than 35.

And in better condition.

I prefer Amazon's Warehouse deals. They tend to be in like new condition and still come with everything (Manual, original case, etc.) and DLC/Club Nintendo redemption codes are typically unused. Also, they all qualify for super saver shipping.

Eh, Amazon actually tends to replace cases now though. I haven't received an original case for a 360 game in a while. They're usually all ecocases now. But I have received brand new sealed games from them as "new". Not just rewrapped. It's rewrapped over its current wrapping. I always love seeing that.

EmporerDragon
07-18-2012, 03:53 AM
and idiots will buy them!

That reminds me of one of the things Gord (of www.actsofgord.com fame) did at his gamestore. He purposely had some ridiculously overpriced N64 games on the shelves as the pricetag would draw thieves to them. They'd then try to make off with their big score of Wayne Gretzky's NHL whereupon Gord would bring down the hammer of justice on them.

KFZ Scrubs
07-18-2012, 04:01 AM
I guess it's dependent on their supply of the game. I saw ME: 2 for less than 20 at mine

HTownBoi
07-18-2012, 04:04 AM
I work at GS and I know for a fact Madden 09 isn't that much I think it's like $2.99 and all those other prices are wrong as well. Your GS people must never do their price changes.

captainzombie
07-18-2012, 04:14 AM
Gamestop is way too overpriced imo in used games.

Wildmn34
07-18-2012, 04:34 AM

Some I remember:

The Madden and the Fifa one are obviously wrong and are probably just lazy employees not doing price changes like they should.

ChickinOnaChain
07-18-2012, 04:44 AM

Sort reminds me of the commercial on TV, except they're selling games and getting nothing for them. I said sort of...

DragonsGoMOO
07-18-2012, 04:54 AM
I found Mass Efffect 2 for 42 bucks used, right before and when Mass Effect 3 was released.

Also with Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, both usually 18 bucks, for about 25 bucks last time, used.

My GameStop just increased the prices and decrease them. Annoying.

kyboy
07-18-2012, 05:11 AM
are you sure you're just not trippin? bc i was just at gamestop today, and madden 09 was only 89 cents.

DragonessAthena
07-18-2012, 05:12 AM
I bought ME2 at EBGames shortly after ME3 was released and it was just $19.99 and was a Platinum Hit box. Checked around other stores as well and it was always $19.99. Sounds like a crooked store..

I have seen overcharging for other games though. I was really surprised that Microsoft was charging less for Jurassic Park on GoD than EB was charging for the game. It was $19.99 on GoD, EB wanted $29.99. I noticed they've dropped the price to $19.99 now though.

Spanish Assault
07-18-2012, 05:51 AM
are you sure you're just not trippin? bc i was just at gamestop today, and madden 09 was only 89 cents.
yup he is trippin:

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/madden-nfl-09/68776

ReaptheChaos
07-18-2012, 06:30 AM
Eh, Amazon actually tends to replace cases now though. I haven't received an original case for a 360 game in a while. They're usually all ecocases now. But I have received brand new sealed games from them as "new". Not just rewrapped. It's rewrapped over its current wrapping. I always love seeing that.

If you by on Amazon it will tell you right in the description if its not in its original case. Usually this is done by other sellers, not Amazon itself. You gotta read the fine print.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/kevincc1964/Capture360a.jpg

hydrosugar
07-18-2012, 06:38 AM
The Madden 09 price is a little strange, but games are often absurd prices when not on sale. Same deal here in Aus with EB, JB and GAME. (The latter was the worst offender and paid the price.)

Akuza
07-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Unknowing parents would buy them at that price.

It's to make up for losses on that items stock they didn't sell on.

Bare in mind here the games are taken on the companies credit, then they only take a cut of what's been sold per item.

But they still need to make up that extra 40% somehow and if that's blinding the parental public with shite prices they'll do it !

Drewdude1023
07-18-2012, 07:02 AM
Has EA not shut down the Madden 09 servers yet? I'm impressed

ChromiumDragon
07-18-2012, 11:29 AM
That reminds me of one of the things Gord (of www.actsofgord.com (http://www.actsofgord.com) fame) did at his gamestore. He purposely had some ridiculously overpriced N64 games on the shelves as the pricetag would draw thieves to them. They'd then try to make off with their big score of Wayne Gretzky's NHL whereupon Gord would bring down the hammer of justice on them.

I think that site is hilarious, but I'm willing to bet that 99% of those stories are completely made up. A lot of those stores consist of him supposedly leaving his store unattended to chase down a thief, committing assault and battery (sometimes on minors), or chasing kids all the way into schools.

Had he actually done 80% of the stuff he brags about on that site, he'd have ended up in jail and sued into oblivion.

cjdavies
07-18-2012, 12:33 PM
If people are willing to pay, the price will stay.

warrenpaul
07-18-2012, 01:13 PM
LOL 29 for fifa 10

thats like 2 in CEX i the uk

CEX is pretty good with prices but if your selling selling stuff its not that good

better than gamestation tho

bapae
07-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Woah that's way more then my gamestop charges for those games.

I can get madden for like $8-$10 and ME2 for like $15

EmporerDragon
07-18-2012, 04:28 PM
I think that site is hilarious, but I'm willing to bet that 99% of those stories are completely made up. A lot of those stores consist of him supposedly leaving his store unattended to chase down a thief, committing assault and battery (sometimes on minors), or chasing kids all the way into schools.

Had he actually done 80% of the stuff he brags about on that site, he'd have ended up in jail and sued into oblivion.

If you've worked in retail/customer service, you'd have no trouble believing those stories.

ChromiumDragon
07-18-2012, 04:49 PM
If you've worked in retail/customer service, you'd have no trouble believing those stories.

Did that for 13 years. And most of the stories are believable to a certain degree.

But the guy ran a video/game rental place. By all indications, he ran the shop alone. (I could be wrong here). There is absolutely no chance in hell that any store owner is going to abandon his store to chase down some punk that stole a $5 game.

There is also no chance in hell that the guy was going to be allowed inside a *school* to confront some kid. I don't care if he stole an entire aisle worth of stuff -- he'd have been arrested before he got anywhere near the kid and would probably just be making parole right around now.

There's also no chance in hell that the guy wouldn't have been arrested for aggravated assault and battery on several occasions, along with assault and battery on a minor. You can't just go around beating the shit out of someone over a $5 used game.

Stories like this (http://www.actsofgord.com/Annoy/chapter01.php) are perfectly believable. I've run into these kind of customers (and worse) more times than I can count.

This (http://www.actsofgord.com/Vengeance/chapter04.php) would have seen him brought up on charges of assault and battery on a minor.

Gord would have been the one arrested in this (http://www.actsofgord.com/Villainy/chapter02.php) story. That, and the kid's partner would have probably robbed the place blind while Gord was chasing the other guy down.

This (http://www.actsofgord.com/Wrath/chapter03.php) never happened. Gamesharks don't blow out motherboards. .

I can't even begin to count the amount of charges this (http://www.actsofgord.com/Villainy/chapter04.php)would have had him brought up on.

There are also a few stories which directly contradict each other, making me question if even the more believable stories are also faked.

Again, I think the site is hilarious. I even have it bookmarked. But I read it for its comedy value, not its believability.

That, and the korean chick on the bottom of the page is kinda cute.

otaking live
07-18-2012, 05:02 PM
That, and the korean chick on the bottom of the page is kinda cute.

Good enough for me! Lol!

Well, Deathsmiles price isn't too bad. Especially if it was the CE.

StayonTarget
07-18-2012, 05:10 PM
This, avoid it at all costs. You are guaranteed to find games cheaper elsewhere.

Ebay is good for this. Mom & Pop places with used games are also pretty good with prices.

ChromiumDragon
07-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Ebay is good for this. Mom & Pop places with used games are also pretty good with prices.

I've had better luck with Amazon. Prices are about the same, but virtually none of the Ebay bullshit.

Cmpunk
07-18-2012, 05:48 PM

Its quite normal for prices to vary depending on gamestops. When I say vary I mean VARY looking at this situation.. Though I'll double check later this week.

The Rabbit Suit
07-18-2012, 06:57 PM
If you by on Amazon it will tell you right in the description if it’s not in its original case. Usually this is done by other sellers, not Amazon itself. You gotta read the fine print.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/kevincc1964/Capture360a.jpg

Thank you for pointing it out, but I do read the fine print, sir. And I think you're mistaken about what we were discussing above. That's an individual selling games on Amazon like you said. Not Amazon Warehouse Deals.

Amazon Warehouse Deals (http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=1267877011) replaces cases to games with the new ecocases.
Edit - ^ Clickable

Floorkiller
07-18-2012, 07:36 PM
GoHastings is pretty hit or miss. They have a lot of great deals and then they have a 59.99 Alan Wake game used along side the used CE for it for less than 35.

I'm talking about Hastins in-store, not the website, I mean...they re-price the new copies (say from 39.99 to 29.99 but never re-price the used) So it can be pretty funny on pricing.

Also, I've never recieved an Xbox game in a non-xbox case from amazon wherehouse deals. Just got a game yesterday, and it was in it's original case.

Rums
07-18-2012, 08:05 PM

I know what you're talking about. I love Hastings and I buy a lot of games, books and cd/dvds from them. Sometimes I have to scratch my head, though. I'll see something way under priced right next to something way over priced. Lol, I don't understnad their logic sometimes.

Also, I can't tell you how many times I've bought a used dvd only to find out once I've taken the usedwrap off at home that it's still factory sealed. :p

SIMPLYMIDGET
07-18-2012, 08:09 PM
I love Gamestop - I dont feel like waiting for games sometimes to ship to me /online buying/ - i get impatient... just easier to go to a store that has most games right there. See, they call be Escobar, so money isnt a problem.

The Rabbit Suit
07-18-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm talking about Hastins in-store, not the website, I mean...they re-price the new copies (say from 39.99 to 29.99 but never re-price the used) So it can be pretty funny on pricing.

Also, I've never recieved an Xbox game in a non-xbox case from amazon wherehouse deals. Just got a game yesterday, and it was in it's original case.

I'm not lucky enough to have a Hastins around me sadly. Glad they ship from all over though.

And wow, really? I receive ecocases from them on practically everything these days. Both my Assassin's Creed games were released before the ecocases were even made, but they were sent out in them. Got it Fable II, Fable III and The Orange Box as well.

Majin Dan
07-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Eh, i don't mind BUYING from Gamestop, but god i hate trading stuff in. I stopped doing that a long time ago. The last thing i think i did trade in was my dslite, because i had a dsi, to get a discount on my 3ds.

Has anyone tried or have a PlayNtrade by them? Know if they're any better?

Spanish Assault
07-18-2012, 09:21 PM
I've had better luck with Amazon. Prices are about the same, but virtually none of the Ebay bullshit.
whay bullshit are you talking about? I have over 700 transactions on ebay with hardly any issues.

ChromiumDragon
07-18-2012, 09:35 PM
whay bullshit are you talking about? I have over 700 transactions on ebay with hardly any issues.

Getting outbid on auctions at the last second. Sellers shipping whenever the hell they feel like it. ridiculous shipping fees so sellers can avoid Ebay fees. Issues with returning damaged items. Paypal.

Before I shut down my ebay account, my feedback was well over 500. That doesn't count the buyers/sellers who don't bother leaving any. I'd say I've done well over 1000 transactions. I've probably bought just as many items through Amazon and find the experience to be a hell of a lot smoother and better. I like the fact that I can just click on whatever I want, buy it without having to use a third party company with questionable business practices, and knowing that my shipment will be here in a couple of days. I just find the experience 1000X better.

Floorkiller
07-18-2012, 09:37 PM

I'm not lucky enough to have a Hastins around me sadly. Glad they ship from all over though.

And wow, really? I receive ecocases from them on practically everything these days. Both my Assassin's Creed games were released before the ecocases were even made, but they were sent out in them. Got it Fable II, Fable III and The Orange Box as well.

I'd be pretty annoyed if I got a game in an ecocase, that kinda sucks. They probably recieved them in those cases, I can't see them swapping out cases on thousands of games...in the past I've recieved the wrong game in the case before, so I don't think they even touch them once they get them in from whatever supplier(s) they have.

Spanish Assault
07-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Getting outbid on auctions at the last second. Sellers shipping whenever the hell they feel like it. ridiculous shipping fees so sellers can avoid Ebay fees. Issues with returning damaged items. Paypal.

Before I shut down my ebay account, my feedback was well over 500. That doesn't count the buyers/sellers who don't bother leaving any. I'd say I've done well over 1000 transactions. I've probably bought just as many items through Amazon and find the experience to be a hell of a lot smoother and better. I like the fact that I can just click on whatever I want, buy it without having to use a third party company with questionable business practices, and knowing that my shipment will be here in a couple of days. I just find the experience 1000X better.
I guess it's all choice. I enjoy bidding, if anything it keeps me from over paying for something. eBay has cracked down on shipping fees. On games it's maxed out at $4, and honestly it's shouldn't matter how much you pay for shipping if the total is the same. I always look at the star rating for a seller. 3 stars for shipping speed? I pass on the auction. Feedback is there to help you know what kind of seller you have.

With that said Amazon is great. I've had ZERO issues and instanly getting you item is nice.

Here's a eBay tip for you. Check the Buy it now "newly listed" some people have no clue what some games should sell for. I picked up Mass Effect 3 for $20 when it came out. I also bought Devil May Cry HD for $9.95. It was a listing error on the seller but he still honored the price.

ChromiumDragon
07-19-2012, 12:37 AM
I guess it's all choice. I enjoy bidding, if anything it keeps me from over paying for something.

If you do your research, this should never be an issue. I've never felt like I've overpaid on Amazon once. But like you said, it's a matter of choice.

eBay has cracked down on shipping fees. On games it's maxed out at $4

This must be new. Back when I last used Ebay seeing people list something at .01 for a $20 item to get your attention was still commonplace, only to see the shipping fees at $19.99 .

and honestly it's shouldn't matter how much you pay for shipping if the total is the same.

IMO, if they're willing to lie to avoid Ebay's fees, what else are they willing to lie about?

I always look at the star rating for a seller. 3 stars for shipping speed? I pass on the auction. Feedback is there to help you know what kind of seller you have.

Feedback can always be gamed, and many people fear leaving legitimate negative feedback, fearing retaliatory negative feedback. This holds especially true if they have a 100% feedback rating. While extremely rare, I've heard of people making threats/demands that someone do XYZ (leave a certain type of feedback, pay a bit more for shipping, etc.) or they'd leave negative feedback and tarnish the perfect score.

And the star rating didn't exist when I was there, though it is a welcome improvement.

With that said Amazon is great. I've had ZERO issues and instanly getting you item is nice.

This is why I stick to amazon. Zero issues, fast speed, and a much more seamless transaction overall. But again, like you said its a matter of choice. You enjoy the thrill of the auction. I just want to buy the thing and be done with it. I lost my patience for auctions years ago.

Here's a eBay tip for you. Check the Buy it now "newly listed" some people have no clue what some games should sell for. I picked up Mass Effect 3 for $20 when it came out. I also bought Devil May Cry HD for $9.95. It was a listing error on the seller but he still honored the price.

I did this more times than I could count back in my Ebay days.

Ayx
07-19-2012, 01:27 AM
I only use Gamestop to trade games in because I'm too lazy to sell them on eBay. I usually purchase older games second hand from someone, or have a friend lend the game to me.

Gamestop usually have outdated prices because no one has purchased the game in forever, if you notice the sticker is probably yellow as well.

StayonTarget
07-19-2012, 07:17 AM

No offense, but if you complain about "Ebay Bullshit", you haven't used ebay to any extent. One of every 50 transactions I've had have had any problems. Amazon has about the same

Or you are an idiot who bids on things from people with 6% positive feedback.

Spanish Assault
07-19-2012, 02:16 PM
This is why I stick to amazon. Zero issues, fast speed, and a much more seamless transaction overall. But again, like you said its a matter of choice. You enjoy the thrill of the auction. I just want to buy the thing and be done with it. I lost my patience for auctions years ago.

So the bullshit is really you just being impatient? You could use some help with the way you express your opinion. Try not to be so confrontational.

Pyrochaos
07-19-2012, 03:01 PM
No offense, but if you complain about "Ebay Bullshit", you haven't used ebay to any extent. One of every 50 transactions I've had have had any problems. Amazon has about the same

Or you are an idiot who bids on things from people with 6% positive feedback.

I've had problems with both. Mainly on the selling side, because people are assholes.

Buying is a pretty safe bet on both, as long as you are careful (read shipping charges, feedback, ect.).

jules the great
07-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Mass Effect 2 is $20 new at Best Buy. Dont know about the others.

loganlogan80
07-19-2012, 03:23 PM
I don't know what gamestop you're going to but I bought Madden 09 for 7$ and Mass Effect 2 for 19$.

xKRAIZEEMANx
07-19-2012, 04:12 PM
I just picked up Madden '07 & '09 for .99 a piece.....

But Left 4 Dead is still $30+ and Left 4 Dead 2 is $40......

Have to pick and choose your battle (or purchases, in this instance)

Jack Frost
07-19-2012, 04:25 PM
I can't believe they're still charging $35 for a used copy of Left 4 Dead 2...

xKRAIZEEMANx
07-19-2012, 04:37 PM
I can't believe they're still charging $35 for a used copy of Left 4 Dead 2...

I know, really been wanting it for completion percentage. It is listed as $30 bucks new (Not Available), but $45 bucks used.....WTF...

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/left-4-dead-2/75064

kutpurse
07-20-2012, 05:33 PM
I don't buy anything from gamestop unless I have to.

masterq60
07-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Just checked Left 4 Dead 1 ($35 used) and Left 4 Dead 2 ($45 used)...

I bought both for $20 used at gamestop about 1 year ago, is it that they got a popularity spike or something, or is it that they know cold stream is coming out and they are like maybe more people will buy the game who didn't to get the original maps...

Other than that, why are some games insanely cheap?

Guitar Hero 2 and 3 $2 used
Fable 3 $13 used
I don't understand gamestop..

Spade.
07-20-2012, 09:31 PM
When I wet to go get left 4 Dead 2, I saw it at GS for $38 used thinking, huh, must still be a popular game, then purchased it. That copy broke, got my money back and went to Walmart and found it $30 new. Screw Gamestop. :confused:

FFFreak1129
07-20-2012, 09:47 PM
This is why I'm not a fan of buying used games. Some of those prices are crazy. I saw Need For Speed Most Wanted for around $30 or $40. Shame some people will actually pay those prices.

alpha17
07-20-2012, 10:50 PM
So true I was in there yesterday and Need For Speed Most Wanted was like $25 I was like what that game is way over priced what was sitting right next to it Need For Speed Carbon For like $12. I was like wait a minute didn't Carbon come out after Most Wanted (it did).

Edit: Sometimes you do find deals I just got the ultimate Edition of Dragon Age which has all of the DLC plus Awakening stuff too for under $20. At full retail brand new it would cost over $100 to buy every thing individually.

LankstaTDOT
07-21-2012, 01:32 AM

Some I remember:

Except for Death Smiles and Fifa, every other game from that list is in our local library.